Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
regfootball

Beleaguered Ford tops quality rankings

41 posts in this topic

msn

Ford supplanted Toyota as the leader of the pack in initial quality rankings, taking the top spot in five of 19 segments in the 2007 survey by J.D. Power and Associates, released Wednesday.

Porsche again dominated the overall ranking of brands, averaging 91 problems per 100 vehicles, as it had last year. That compared with a 2007 industry average of 125 problems per 100 vehicles. Last year it was 124.

Ford Motor earned segment awards for the Ford Mustang, Lincoln Mark LT, Lincoln MKZ, Mercury Milan and Mazda MX-5 Miata. Mazda is 33.4% owned by Ford.

Toyota Motor, which grabbed the top spot in 11 segments last year, captured only four this year -- the 4Runner, Sequoia, Tacoma and Lexus RX350/RX400h.

Ford's Lincoln brand took third in overall nameplate rankings, averaging 100 problems per 100 vehicles. It was behind Porsche and Toyota's Lexus luxury brand, which averaged 94 problems per vehicles.

Toyota slips as Ford rises

Lincoln jumped from 12th in 2006.

"We saw dramatic improvement from Lincoln," said Neal Oddes, J.D. Power's director of product research and analysis. "It was a fantastic year for the Mercury Milan, with dramatic improvements in terms of defects."

Overall, he said, Ford's strength came from new launches such as the Edge, MKX and MKZ.

Toyota had seen its list of quality leaders decrease in a quality study released Monday by Strategic Vision, a San Diego market research company and consultant to automakers. Despite improving its overall quality, Toyota led in one category in that study -- down from four in 2006. South Korean automaker Hyundai Motor led in five categories, outperforming its Japanese, European and U.S. competitors. Last year, it had no winners.

Joe Ivers, J.D. Power's executive director of quality and customer satisfaction, said there's no clear answer for Toyota's drop. But several vehicles brought its quality performance down this year, including the Corolla, Prius and Lexus models.

It is worth noting, he said, that Toyota executives have been speaking publicly about their concerns about managing to maintain its historically high quality during a time of rapid growth.

"We're not used to seeing their vehicles go backward from a quality standpoint, and several of them did," he said. "It's no big change, but when things go backward for Toyota, it's unusual."

can we please get the import humper's spin on this?

Edited by regfootball

"We're not used to seeing their vehicles go backward from a quality standpoint, and several of them did," he said. "It's no big change, but when things go backward for Toyota, it's unusuall."

there's some spin right there.

"We're not used to seeing their vehicles go backward from a quality standpoint, and several of them did," he said. "It's no big change, but when things go backward for Toyota, it's unusual."l

there's some spin right there.

TOYOTA: "Even when we're going backward, we're MOVING FORWARD."

msn

can we please get the import humper's spin on this?

"Mo' Money, mo' problems"

"It's no big change, but when things go backward for Toyota, it's unusual."

Things have been going backwards since Toyota failed to own up to the sludging issue. It's just that Toyota has gotten worried now because it is in the spotlight.

Interesting that the Corolla is dropping in quality, you'd think after building the same on for, what, 7-8 yrs they might actually get pretty good at it. The Jap-humpers will probably blame the American workers that assemble them for their quality issues, can't be anything the Japanese did... after all, they ARE perfect...

I looked at a Milan. I have to say. The darn thing looks good inside and out. I would buy one but my wallet says no right now. ( darn College loans !! )

I saw a Corolla in a parking lot.

The rear seat's headrest was manufactured crooked.

I think the foam inside the cloth cover was misshapened.

It was a very apparent uneveness.

Like, instead of horizontal, the top of it is lopsided by 20 degrees.

The Corolla, so far as I'm concerned, stopped being a truly high-quality small car after 1997 or so. After that point, Toyota "decontented" the hell out of it and, worse, failed to update the mechanicals in any way while the rest of the small car world moved on. Please note that the Corolla still uses essentially the same chassis and engine as it did in 1998, and you'll see the problem.

Yes, they still sell a lot of Corollas these days, but Mazda (as an easy example) sells a lot more 3s - chalk it up to the ever popular features-per-dollar ratio, which the Mazda wins by a landslide. For instance, you can't get leather in a Corolla anymore, and they've never offered a nav system. Not to mention the Mazda's more powerful choice of engines, the slick hatchback body, and the blistering MazdaSpeed model. Where's a Corolla GT-S when you need one?

Even the Hyundai Elantra, a very solid little car in its own right, outshines the Corolla these days. It's rather sad, actually, because I remember when the Corolla (and the Civic, of course) was absolutely untouchable by anything in the small car field. It was never the most distinctive choice, but it often ranked as the smartest in the long run. I don't know if that's really true anymore.

Yes, they still sell a lot of Corollas these days, but Mazda (as an easy example) sells a lot more 3s - chalk it up to the ever popular features-per-dollar ratio, which the Mazda wins by a landslide.

That came straight out of a magic hat from your sunshine free area.

I don't know who's buying the Corollas, but they're flying.

Begin excessive data collection:

model...........may '07..........'07

Corolla..........45,238........165,722

Civic.............39,993........137,288

Cobalt...........22,409.........79,257

Focus ...........21,269 ........77,732

Sentra...........12,758........45,083

Caliber..........12,052........48,564

PT Cruiser.....10,059........43,145

Elantra............9,317........40,315

No Mazda May data.

model...........April '07..........'07

Mazda3...........8,046.........39,972

I wouldn't buy a Corolla. But the Corolla is number 1. Unknown forces are buying them.

Edited by JT64

Activating web site import hump, taken from the front page of

http://www.jdpower.com/

JD Power Quality Ratings

Top 5 Compact Cars in Initial Quality

1. Honda Civic

2. Toyota Corolla

3. Hyundai Elantra

4. Kia Spectra

5. Toyota Prius

$h!, the Corolla dropped to number 2!

$h!, the Prius dropped to number 5!

Edited by JT64

Activating web site hump, taken from the front page of

http://www.jdpower.com/

JD Power Quality Ratings

Top 5 Compact Cars in Initial Quality

1. Honda Civic

2. Toyota Corolla

3. Hyundai Elantra

4. Kia Spectra

5. Toyota Prius

Unfortunately, this category doesn't mean very much to North Americans as compared to that of crossovers, SUVs and trucks. One thing is for certain, marketing for brainwashing is working on my mother-in-law. She has a ten year old Olds Intrigue that has just begun to show signs of normal wear. It's been in the shop for a power-steering problem that's been associated with the front-end collision she experienced last year. Due to the expense, and the residual effect of the accident on the car's drivetrain (transmission now has quirks as well), she's giving up on the car, saying that she should be better off in an import.

It's tough to provide these kind of people any bit of common sense to see that they shouldn't expect a ten year old car to be just as reliable as the brand new car they bought off the lot...and CERTAINLY not after it's been in an accident! Sadly, to the uninformed and uneducated, history defines the future (domestic challenges will never see improvement), and change supports nothing (strains of manufacturing growth is evident to all but the people who buy the cars).

You should be aware that the Corolla and the Civic are made in the USA, by the hands of Americans.

Observe this PR shot, as an American white woman inspects the Honda Civic.

Posted Image

http://ohio.honda.com/Company/elap.cfm

Observe this PR shot, as a crazed American white woman appears to work at the Toyota/GM plant.

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.nummi.com/corolla.php

Folks, we have neglected the real threat!

Watch out for the Koreans!

Those cars come straight from South Korea!

Edited by JT64

Unfortunately, this category doesn't mean very much to North Americans as compared to that of crossovers, SUVs and trucks. One thing is for certain, marketing for brainwashing is working on my mother-in-law.

Operation Import Hump - The Finale: Crossover, SUV, Trucks TripleHump!

Compact MAV: ..............Honda CR-V................................East Liberty, Ohio, USA

Midsized MAV: ...............Toyota 4Runner.........................Tahara, Aichi, Japan

______________________________________________Hamura, Japan

Large MAV: ...................Toyota Sequoia..........................Princeton, Indiana, USA

Midsized Premium MAV: ..Lexus RX350/RX400h..............Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

Large Premium MAV: ......Lincoln Mark LT..........................Dearborn, Michigan, USA

Large Pickup: ................Chevrolet Silverado Classic HD.....Toluca, México, México

Midsize Pickup: ..............Toyota Tacoma..........................Fremont, California, USA

______________________________________________Tijuana, Baja California, México

Posted Image

For all hate mail, please send to http://www.jdpower.com/contactus/contactus.aspx

Edited by JT64

it's ok....we'll all be flipping burgers here someday....your welcome to learn to speak Indian or Korean and go work there where the jobs are......

Edited by regfootball

it's ok....we'll all be flipping burgers here someday....your welcome to learn to speak Indian or Korean and go work there where the jobs are......

Are you talking about the top quality, Heavy Duty Classic Silverados made in México?

I'll need to practice my Spanish then.

Them Mexicans really show us how to build things right.

"Denial is a defense mechanism in which a person is faced with a fact that is too painful to accept and rejects it instead, insisting that it is not true despite what may be overwhelming evidence.

The subject may deny the reality of the unpleasant fact altogether (simple denial), admit the fact but deny its seriousness (minimisation) or admit both the fact and seriousness but deny responsibility (transference).

The concept of denial is particularly important to the study of addiction."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial

"Projection is a psychological defense mechanism whereby one "projects" one's own undesirable thoughts, motivations, desires, and feelings onto someone else."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

"Displacement is a subconscious defense mechanism whereby the mind redirects affects from an object felt to be dangerous or unacceptable to an object felt to be safe or acceptable."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displacement_%28psychology%29

Edited by JT64

That came straight out of a magic hat from your sunshine free area.

I don't know who's buying the Corollas, but they're flying.

Begin excessive data collection:

model...........may '07..........'07

Corolla..........45,238........165,722

Civic.............39,993........137,288

Cobalt...........22,409.........79,257

Focus ...........21,269 ........77,732

Sentra...........12,758........45,083

Caliber..........12,052........48,564

PT Cruiser.....10,059........43,145

Elantra............9,317........40,315

No Mazda May data.

model...........April '07..........'07

Mazda3...........8,046.........39,972

I wouldn't buy a Corolla. But the Corolla is number 1. Unknown forces are buying them.

I respectfully retract my previous assertion, which may have escaped the "sunshine-free" region and moved right up the chain of command.

It might be a regional thing too (literally, there seem to be billions of Mazda 3s in Colorado and not so many Corollas), or it might just be that I'm blocking out all these so-called Corollas.

Could it possibly be that Toyota is shoving them all out to fleets, too? I mean, they wouldn't do that, would they...? :rolleyes:

Seeing six new Corollas roll into a local Enterprise neighborhood location a few days ago seems to indicate Japanese fleet movements unseen since 1941.

That is Alicia Silverstone advertising for Honda Civic.

Posted Image

Odds are she doesn't even know what part of the car she is looking at.

Odds are she doesn't even know what part of the car she is looking at.

but she is lovingly caressing that taillight.

nice post, fly, BTW :)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0