Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Corsa 4x4 is go

12 posts in this topic

Corsa 4x4 is go

Vauxhall's set to join growing baby SUV market with rugged newcomer

Posted Image

The Corsa is heading off-road, Auto Express can exclusively reveal! Following in the wheeltracks of the new Antara off-roader, Vauxhall's smallest-ever SUV is the next exciting step in the firm's plans to expand its line-up.

With beefed-up looks, it will sit at the very top of the company's supermini family, and promises to be a frugal, low-emission model that will complete the Corsa range.

Entering a market which is set to explode over the next few years - insiders at Vauxhall's parent firm Gen­eral Motors predict 120,000 worldwide sales for the newcomer - the Corsa SUV will rival Ford's forthcoming Fiesta SUV and existing models such as the Fiat Sedici and Suzuki SX4. As you can see from our pictures - prepared using exclusive insider information - it's every inch the pumped-up off-roader, with big bumpers, a protective metal skidplate and integral spotlights at the front. Extended wheelarches and side sills with more plastic cladding at the rear complete the rugged look.

When the finished model arrives in 2010, though, it's likely to share much of its chassis and interior design with the Chevrolet T2X concept, first seen at the Seoul Motor Show in 2005.

That's because the Corsa SUV will be a 'world car'. So, just like Vauxhall's bigger Antara - whose sister vehicle is the Chevrolet Captiva (driven on Page 24) - the Corsa SUV will spawn a supermini Chevrolet off-roader, and possibly even a Daewoo model, too.

All three will be underpinned by an extended version of GM's new small car platform, which will also be used by the next Meriva supermini-MPV.

Work on the Vauxhall's four-wheel-drive system is already underway - we caught engineers towing a proto­type to a secret testing location. And although little is known about the drivetrain, the new car is likely to be available with GM's Advanced Propulsion hybrid set-up.

Employing regenerative braking to charge a lithium-ion battery pack, the unit powers in-wheel electric motors at the rear, which would be driven only when traction at the front is lost. A front-wheel-drive-only model will also be available. Engines are to be devel­oped from the current Corsa line-up, with low-capacity petrol turbos helping Vauxhall meet tightening emissions regulations, while giving superb fuel economy and performance. The firm will tweak its turbodiesels - such as the excellent 1.3 and 1.7-litre CDTI units - for the newcomer, too.

Bosses have already con­firmed that the Corsa SUV will be made at General Motors' Antwerp plant in Belgium, and buy­ers can expect to get a first glimpse at a major motor show in 2009. The model will hit UK dealers a year later.

Posted Image

Source:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpr..._4x4_is_go.html

You know honestly, I don't know why Vauxhall even exist? Just slap an Opel badge on it. Most current Vauxhall models are right-hand drive derivatives of GM's Opel brand anyway with a few performance vehicles coming from Holden/Holden Special Vehicles in Australia and you all know how I love them too. :P

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Vauxhall exists because the Brits would pick up arms if their precious Vauxhall brand was replaced by anything German. Even though the cars sold as Vauxhall are German... Weird people :spin: :spin: :spin:

Edited by ZL-1

Vauxhall exists because the Brits would pick up arms if their precious Vauxhall brand was replaced by anything German. Even though the cars sold as Vauxhall are German... Weird people :spin: :spin: :spin:

Being Italian well 50% Italian, my last name is Italian after all, I find that odd. Italy has Opels being sold there and you don't see the Italian people up in arms over it. But then again Italians are a warm and welcoming people! :smilewide:

I am not warming to yet as of yet. Looks strange.

You don't have to, it's just an artists impression—half Corsa. half Antara (Vue). It won't even be based on the Corsa, which uses a Fiat platform, but a global GM platform.

Being Italian well 50% Italian, my last name is Italian after all, I find that odd. Italy has Opels being sold there and you don't see the Italian people up in arms over it. But then again Italians are a warm and welcoming people! :smilewide:

I had an Italian colleague in my 1st job and 'warm' and 'welcoming' are perfect adjectives to describe her, along with very, very cute!

Re Opel/Vauxhall, the English are always willing to remind the Germans of who won the Battle of England in WWII. Replacing precious Vauxhall for "die Opels" would piss them off big time.

Hmmm...wonder if this applies to the N.A. market...

Possible—think HHR, Jeep Patriot segment.

I had an Italian colleague in my 1st job and 'warm' and 'welcoming' are perfect adjectives to describe her, along with very, very cute!

Re Opel/Vauxhall, the English are always willing to remind the Germans of who won the Battle of England in WWII. Replacing precious Vauxhall for "die Opels" would piss them off big time.

That would explain why they buy so many BMWs instead of British-built Bristol or Frazer-Nash versions (the latter [as AFN] is now owned by Porsche and sells Audis and Porsches). Listen to Jeremy Carkson, except for the odd muscle car (Prince Henry, Lotus Carlton, Monaro, VXR8) Vauxhall is not exactly a hallowed brand.

Possible—think HHR, Jeep Patriot segment.

Like a Saturn that's placed between the Astra hatch and the Vue?

Then Opel should work towards that goal, there is nothing more rewarding than pissing off the Brits! :smilewide:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room