Chrysler admits Sebring, Nitro are duds

Chrysler rethinks design after duds
Automaker vows to overhaul its vehicle development after Nitro, Sebring miss mark
Posted Image
Link to Original Article @ The Detroit News

A top Chrysler Group executive said in a recent frank internal question-and-answer session with employees that the automaker seriously misjudged the market in developing the panned Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Nitro last year, and is swiftly moving to improve current and future vehicles.

Answering often pointed questions from employees on Chrysler's internal Internet system, Bob Lee, head of powertrain engineering, acknowledged that many people at Chrysler are "outraged" over the issues with the Sebring sedan and Nitro SUV, according to a copy of the Q&A obtained by The Detroit News. Both vehicles received highly critical evaluations from Consumer Reports, which is influential with car buyers.

Chrysler CEO Tom LaSorda and Chief Operating Officer Eric Ridenour are "quite upset" and agree the company "missed where the market was to end up versus our projections," Lee wrote.

Chrysler underestimated competitors, set standards too low in some areas and was not where it needed to be in areas such as fuel economy, interior quality, and limiting noise and vibration.

"As a result of these embarrassing 'misses,' there are extremely aggressive actions being taken on many of the existing products -- and also the yet to be introduced products to get us at least to the middle of the competitive pack in very short order," Lee wrote.

Chrysler spokesman Rick Deneau confirmed the authenticity of the employee Q&A -- posted in the past week -- and said it was meant to be seen by a relatively small group of employees.

While Lee said the issues surrounding the Sebring and Nitro -- two of 10 products Chrysler launched last year -- have sparked a series of deep dives into its processes and standards, the automaker had already started revamping its product development system.

In an interview Thursday, Frank Klegon, Chrysler's product development chief, outlined several actions being taken that should improve existing cars and trucks and new models that will be launched in the next couple of years.

"We're certainly not satisfied with where we are," Klegon said. "We have to get better."

Chrysler is counting on its new models to bolster sales and market share as the automaker restructures to restore profits. After losing $680 million last year, the soon-to-be-sold Chrysler reported $2 billion in red ink for the first quarter and doesn't expect to be back in the black until 2008. Through May, sales of Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep brand models are off 1.5 percent.

Chrysler began working with ASI Consulting Group in Livonia about 18 months ago. The firm, which previously worked closely with Hyundai Motor Co. to improve its vehicles, has helped Chrysler use a system called "Design for Six Sigma" to help engineers better determine upfront what features and qualities customers want in new vehicles.

The firm was hired to help "make a cultural change to move that needle to be proactive," Klegon said. "We're taking this on as an extreme change in the way we do predictive quality from the standpoint of customers. It's embedded in our vehicle teams and it's embedded in our components team."

As an example of Chrysler's proactive approach in responding to vehicle problems, Klegon mentioned noise, vibration and harshness complaints about the 2.4-liter world engine, built in Dundee.

The company found the problem existed only when the engine was cold. Once warmed up, performance matches the Toyota Camry, he said. Now, Chrysler is taking action on the engine and each vehicle that uses it.

Both Klegon and Lee, in his exchange with employees, acknowledged that Chrysler needs to do a better job of understanding where its rivals are headed.

"Our management has admitted that some of our competitors moved faster in some areas than we had anticipated and hence although we matched their previous position and added some improvements, we didn't set targets aggressive enough," Lee wrote. "One example is interior appointments."

Klegon said Chrysler needs to better predict the current benchmark and "where that benchmark might be in two to three years after you bring that vehicle out."

Interiors are particularly important because they are so linked to a consumer's vehicle experience.

"I don't know that the typical person is walking into a Dodge or Chrysler showroom, and saying that the interiors are horrible," said Jack Nerad of Kelley Blue Book. "(But) there's a strong trend to be very careful about interiors, to pay attention to interiors and to do the best job you possibly can to put the investment where the consumer can see it and feel it."

Klegon said Chrysler established a new design studio last year dedicated to vehicle interiors. And although Chrysler is pushing to cut costs by $1,000 per vehicle, interior design won't be compromised. "We're actually adding money into the interior," Klegon said.

To keep costs down, though, Chrysler could tap into its burgeoning supply base overseas for cheaper parts, Klegon said.

While Chrysler has had its share of recent hits with such vehicles as the Dodge Caliber hatchback and four-door Jeep Wrangler, the Sebring, Nitro and other vehicles have missed the mark, many critics say.

The new Sebring was rated 16th out of 16 family sedans recently by Consumer Reports, a particularly tough segment with established cars like the Toyota.

The Sebring and Nitro were both knocked for their interiors, noisy engines and poor handling.

Klegon defended the Sebring as a good car, noting it received no "black circles" from Consumer Reports, which indicate the poorest performance, but acknowledged the "bar is pretty high."

Sebring and Nitro are among several vehicles Chrysler is working to improve.

"We're not treating this any different than a thing that would break that you have to fix," Klegon said. "You have to fix an issue that's in the customer's hands either by design change or process improvements or other things."

The Sebring interior is fine. It's everything else about the car that's less than attractive / competitive.

Well, beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder, because I think the interior is downright UGLY.

One thing I noticed lately is Ford and Chrysler are not sitting there blaming Toyota and Honda. They are admitting the design mistakes and trying to fix them. It is refreshing to see. GM still has not admitted to what it did in the past. I thought I was the only one who thought Sebring looked awkward. I have seen Nitros. I did not know it was a failure.

I guess the American car companies are realizing it is not just the quality that has to change. It is perception, and good design and some heritage thrown in that will make changes.

The first step to changing a behavior is to admit your mistakes

The second step is the change the behavior.

The culture inside Chrysler has to change. They must become over comers and achievers.

Something I noticed the other day when the initial quality survey came out, and seeing how poorly GM did, people were making excuses for it. That is how they have operated inside GM , Ford and Chrysler for years. There are no excuses.. GM needs to work on the initial quality in their cars period.

This is a society we live in now, it becomes excuse after to excuse or being politically correct.

Own up to what you did, change the behavior.

What happened to GM, Ford and Chrysler is they thought this is America our turf. We are entitled and they will buy whatever we sell them.

Oh really?

The game changed. Toyota and Honda showed buyers you can have better. Someone tapped the domestics on the shoulder and told them wake up. they ignored. It took losing so much for them to wake up.

The goal is to show they can change and win buyers back.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I like the Sebring, TOP TRIM, inside and out... except maybe a little nitpick for the the butt.

The butt looks a bit too rounded, but it's ok.

The problem is that Chrysler strips all the interior trim pieces if you don't buy the top model.

So then it looks like unfinished junk.

Stolen, stripped vehicle recovered by the police.

I check out the Nitro. It made me run and never come back.

Edited by JT64

Sebring is fine to me. Everyone who has seen it loves it. And isn't it selling over 10k per month? Wheres the problem.

The problem is that the Camry is selling about 5 times that.

While I think the Sebring's interior design isn't bad, the materials could certainly use some work. All of Chrysler's interiors need a lot of work. It's a no brainer that they all need improvements, even those that are good still could use improvements.

Exterior styling is subjective, a lot of people seem to like it (it's OK, but not my thing), and the Nitro is definitely got the exterior styling down, but they both need better driving dynamics and refinement. Why is it so hard to put the Avenger R/t's suspension setup into the Sebring, and why is the R/T the only Avenger that has good handling?

The problem Chrysler as well Ford and GM have long had is aiming too low, either at the current competition or not even as good as them. they must aim at the future, to be better, not just as good.

This group that they hired seems promising, as Hyundai's interiors have improved immensely in only a few years. The integrated center stack, attractive designs and good materials are huge improvements over not so long ago. If they can do that for Hyundai, they should be able to do wonders for Chrysler.

Its nice to see Chrysler is at least admitting their mistakes, not making excuses for it. Now if they can act on it, we'll see some real progress.

Interesting that the Avenger is not even mentioned... since it is a twin under the skin to the Sebring, with Sebring being the comparatively ugly sister. The interiors are similarly executed, materials-wise. So essentially they're saying styling and suspension tuning make the difference? That seems shallow and beyond credibility.

I have a cousin with an '02 Liberty. She loves it, but misses her Cherokee she had before (seemed roomier, quicker with the 4.0L inline six, less complicated). She was looking at a black-bumper Nitro as her next vehicle. I went lot-cruising with her one Sunday, and we found a few unlocked vehicles, including a Nitro and a Wrangler 4 door. She forgot about the Nitro as soon as she sat in the Wrangler. She had entertained thoughts of a Torrent (she likes Pontiac's improvements to the Equinox), but she's been happy with her experiences with Chrysler products.

Nitro is disgusting, only something a jerk could like. I like the Sebring. I wouldn't say it's ugly, just beautifully-challenged. It's smooth enough, but it could have problems as it ages. The interior does look cheap and good at the same time, and those seats are SOLID! SOLID AS A ROCK!

Nitro is disgusting, only something a jerk could like.

Textbook example of an inflammatory remark.

The Nitro sure as hell looks strange, but to say only a jerk could like it implies that all Nitro owners and aspirers are jerks.

Are you calling my wife a jerk?

The Sebring has to be up there with the most unattractive cars in history.

Terrible profile, shame-on-them fake blacked out area rear side window,

tailights that defy any logic or good taste....like two different designs slapped

together, distracting door cutouts into the roof, that don't relate, one could

go on and on...how does something like this make it through to production?!

Who actually greenlights such a car?,

there is no end to the ugliness of this vehicle.

Guest YellowJacket894

The Nitro and Sebring aren't the only cars in Chrysler Corp.'s line-up that need a time-out. The Compass, and all concepts of it, need to hit the road fast. The Caliber has ugly design quirks and a rather pathetic interior. The Durango has become a rather ugly, fat, bloated SUV. And the interiors of recent Dodges all look alike, all look like they were made from a huge vat of Legos. And then we wrestle with the Nitro and Sebring of course. Lower-end Nitros look horribly cheap -- the gray plastic bumpers need to die and fast. The Sebring looks marginally better in person, but there are obvious design deficiencies: the pointless black triangular piece on the C-pillar that clearly shows that the Corp. got cold feet over having one divison have a hatchback/wagon and the other have a sedan. These cars are abrasively cheap and half-assed. And I'm not a big fan of the Liberty, either.

Whatever MCE that Chrysler has planned for the cars I mentioned better either be a complete discontinuation of the model (Compass) or a severe re-skin and interior overhaul.

I mean, really. What happened to the promising Chrysler we saw with the LX twins? They were a refreshing change of pace with mainstream sedans and caught GM and Ford with their guard down. GM right now is still taking up the slack and Ford still has no clue what to do. Even the Charger had the same shining promise. Then, soon after, Trevor Creed was put in charge of design after Freeman Thomas resigned and everything was thrown into an utter $h!storm. (It's proof that Creed is better working under someone rather than taking charge.) Creed should step down, as recent designs from Chrysler prove he cannot do his job. It's a shame when most amateurs here at this board have a much better sense of design than a damn professional. There is no excuse for Creed and his lacking work.

Edited by YellowJacket894

All the Sebring/Nitro yuk-yuk aside, the real disconcerting fact here is the Chrysler needs to actually sit down and be told this by someone, whether it be employees or being assisted from an outside firm.

How long has Chrysler been in business?

How long has Chrysler been designing cars?

Didn't Chrysler design some decent cars at some point?

I swear to God that the more you read about how Chrysler plans to 'improve' its failings in styling, management, production, or craftsmanship, the more you realize they have no business producing automobiles. Some of you say, "Well, at least they admit their mistakes...and that's good." Is it? Is it really? Is it actually a positive thing than an 82 year-old corporation repeatedly apologizes and say that their own product is junk and they promise they'll do it better next time mommy? Is Chrysler really getting advice from a consulting group that worked with Hyundai...f@#king Hyundai?! Newsflash, people: Hyundai still makes lousy cars and Chrysler is saying that they can't do any better.

And, no, this is not the same as GM and Ford saying things are wrong. They're saying - correctly, mind you - that their products are competitive if not better and the problem is perception. They're taking their cars and trucks and SUVs out and proving their superiority. You see Chrysler doing that? Of course not...they'd get massacred. Chrysler isn't saying, "Consumer Reports says our new cars suck, and we have to work on that perception issue", they're saying "Our cars DO suck...and we should probably fix it so they don't suck quite so much." Their "extremely aggressive" corrections will - hopefully - take them to being in the MIDDLE of the pack?! What?! Are you kidding me? They're shooting for the same mediocrity and this is Chrysler's own people saying it! Its like standing in the middle of a hurricane and thinking you should probably go get some plywood now.

Look at Chrysler's problems - engine vibrations in cold weather, junk interiors. Didn't these same issues exist with the Valiant? I mean, c'mon. GM and Ford have moved beyond Chrysler's level and everyone else has, too. I don't even know what a convincing argument for Chrysler staying in the automobile business sounds like anymore. And I know alot of you are going to hate me and defend Chrysler because you like their cars and that's fine...but you cannot ignore that there is a deep, serious problem within Chrysler that the other two domestics don't suffer from. I call it 'We Just Don't Get It Anymore Nor Do We Care'-itis.

Nitro is disgusting, only something a jerk could like. I like the Sebring. I wouldn't say it's ugly, just beautifully-challenged. It's smooth enough, but it could have problems as it ages. The interior does look cheap and good at the same time, and those seats are SOLID! SOLID AS A ROCK!

The Nitro sure as hell looks strange, but to say only a jerk could like it implies that all Nitro owners and aspirers are jerks.

The Nitro and Sebring aren't the only cars in Chrysler Corp.'s line-up that need a time-out. The Compass, and all concepts of it, need to hit the road fast. The Caliber has ugly design quirks and a rather pathetic interior. The Durango has become a rather ugly, fat, bloated SUV. And the interiors of recent Dodges all look alike, all look like they were made from a huge vat of Legos. And then we wrestle with the Nitro and Sebring of course. Lower-end Nitros look horribly cheap -- the gray plastic bumpers need to die and fast. The Sebring looks marginally better in person, but there are obvious design deficiencies: the pointless black triangular piece on the C-pillar that clearly shows that the Corp. got cold feet over having one division have a hatchback/wagon and the other have a sedan. These cars are abrasively cheap and half-assed.

Whatever MCE that Chrysler has planned for the cars I mentioned better either be a complete discontinuation of the model (Compass) or a severe re-skin and interior overhaul.

Styling is subjective. I personally think the Caliber looks great on the outside and looks fine on the inside. What it needs is a materials overall, a suspension tune-up and a real automatic..Ditch the CVT and give SE and SXT 4-speeds and give the R/T a 6-speed (there ya go, an easy way to have a class-leading powertrain).

The Patriot is fine, it just needs a materials update like the Caliber. But I agree, drop the Compass...it doesn't sell enough to justify it's existence.

I happen to love the post MCE look of the Durango...I've always liked the body just thought it needed a nose job..and that's what they gave it. It needs a new interior, that's it's main problem now.

The Nitro should be body color on all trim levels, and should get a returned suspension and new interior.

The Sebring...honestly the front could be left alone, juts make the roofline more graceful and fix the rear and it would look fine.

Interior designs could use improvement in a unch of vehicles, but I like the designs of the Sebring and Avenger. They're believably different and both look good IMO. Materials need to be improved.

All the Sebring/Nitro yuk-yuk aside, the real disconcerting fact here is the Chrysler needs to actually sit down and be told this by someone, whether it be employees or being assisted from an outside firm.

I swear to God that the more you read about how Chrysler plans to 'improve' its failings in styling, management, production, or craftsmanship, the more you realize they have no business producing automobiles. Some of you say, "Well, at least they admit their mistakes...and that's good." Is it? Is it really? Is it actually a positive thing than an 82 year-old corporation repeatedly apologizes and say that their own product is junk and they promise they'll do it better next time mommy? Is Chrysler really getting advice from a consulting group that worked with Hyundai...f@#king Hyundai?! Newsflash, people: Hyundai still makes lousy cars and Chrysler is saying that they can't do any better.

And, no, this is not the same as GM and Ford saying things are wrong. They're saying - correctly, mind you - that their products are competitive if not better and the problem is perception. They're taking their cars and trucks and SUVs out and proving their superiority. You see Chrysler doing that? Of course not...they'd get massacred. Chrysler isn't saying, "Consumer Reports says our new cars suck, and we have to work on that perception issue", they're saying "Our cars DO suck...and we should probably fix it so they don't suck quite so much." Their "extremely aggressive" corrections will - hopefully - take them to being in the MIDDLE of the pack?! What?! Are you kidding me? They're shooting for the same mediocrity and this is Chrysler's own people saying it! Its like standing in the middle of a hurricane and thinking you should probably go get some plywood now.

Look at Chrysler's problems - engine vibrations in cold weather, junk interiors. Didn't these same issues exist with the Valiant? I mean, c'mon. GM and Ford have moved beyond Chrysler's level and everyone else has, too. I don't even know what a convincing argument for Chrysler staying in the automobile business sounds like anymore. And I know alot of you are going to hate me and defend Chrysler because you like their cars and that's fine...but you cannot ignore that there is a deep, serious problem within Chrysler that the other two domestics don't suffer from. I call it 'We Just Don't Get It Anymore Nor Do We Care'-itis.

There are valid points, they should be aiming for the top not the middle. However it's not like GM or Ford hadn't said their past efforts sucked. The differences that we're seeing progress from GM and Ford right now, while Chrysler's products that we see may have been too far down the pipeline to fix..does it excuse them? No.

But to say they have no business making cars isn't right either. They make some damn good cars, we'll mention the LX cars, the Ram (it only seems old now because it is), the minivans, the Pacifica, etc. They do know how to do it right, they've just lost there way lately. However, I'm not ready to call them down for the count until I see the new Ram, because from the information we've got so far and the images being resented, it should be very, very good.

As for the Hyundai knock...their exteriors still suck for the most part, but that's not what the firm helped them with...they helped them with interiors.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Honestly the Sebring isn't bad. The engine compared to other 4 cyl is only behind altima by 2 hp. It's a love it or hate it design, just as the PT Cruiser was when it debuted. It is excellent in the handleing department, it took every sharp turn I threw at it. Sure, some of the interior materials could be better, but there is far worse out there.

Guest YellowJacket894
Styling is subjective. I personally think the Caliber looks great on the outside and looks fine on the inside. What it needs is a materials overall, a suspension tune-up and a real automatic..Ditch the CVT and give SE and SXT 4-speeds and give the R/T a 6-speed (there ya go, an easy way to have a class-leading powertrain).

I didn't say that the overall design of the Caliber sucked (it's decent overall) but there are details (like the black plastic on the roof of the car) that I think look flat out cheap.

The Patriot is fine, it just needs a materials update like the Caliber. But I agree, drop the Compass...it doesn't sell enough to justify it's existence.

I don't have that much of a problem with the Patriot. The styling is actually pretty nice, although I do wish it didn't share any architecture with the Caliber/Compass and was a real Cherokee successor.

I happen to love the post MCE look of the Durango...I've always liked the body just thought it needed a nose job..and that's what they gave it. It needs a new interior, that's it's main problem now.

I don't. It looks like a bloated minivan now. The pre-MCE Durango was influenced by the old Power Wagons and the concept version of the truck, I thought, looked pretty nice (the front wasn't all grille and no bumper ... and come to think of it there was a certain issue which prohibited the front of the '04 Durango looking like the concept truck that previewed it).

The Nitro should be body color on all trim levels, and should get a returned suspension and new interior.

Not much of an argument coming from me here.

The Sebring...honestly the front could be left alone, juts make the roofline more graceful and fix the rear and it would look fine.

It needs way more than that. The front of the car looks like an angry midget with Down's Syndrome in Hubble-telescope-coke-bottle glasses to be honest. If the car looked like a cleaned up version of the Airflite like it was supposed to, I suppose there would be less bitching.

Interior designs could use improvement in a bunch of vehicles, but I like the designs of the Sebring and Avenger. They're believably different and both look good IMO. Materials need to be improved.

I don't have much of a problem with the Avenger. I've driven two of them as a matter of fact, both SXTs, handled great, looked really nice in person (although its nose is longer than its ass ... but that's the only styling complaint I really have), and had, well, alright interior materials where you needed them. For the record, my S10 does have more "soft touch materials" in it than the Avenger does but ... ah, whatever.

The terrible Jeep Compass should also be included on this list. The Avenger looks ok but it's interior needs work and the seats are way to hard. I will give Chrysler credit for making something different. It gets so tiresome looking at so many of the latest designs which all have the same bland generic slab sided look. The Avenger and Charger win in my book as being bold and distinctive looking and the interiors will shortly be getting makeovers it looks like. Chrysler needs to trim down on the trucks/SUV's and Crossovers and start making smaller more fuel efficient cars.

I thought the Nitro was doing ok. I see a lot of them around.

Yeah, same here! I'm always excited when I see a Nitro-yeah it needs to get rid of the horrid seats that plague the rest of the Chrysler Group vehicles (or at least the vastly uncomfortable headrests), but it makes a bold, Willys or Jeep-like wagon statements that bring back the compact truck-based SUV segment, and with bold style, assurance. Make the 4.0-liter V-6 standard, see if they can put the 4.7-liter (undetuned) 300hp V-8 engine in there. But it seems to be catching on here, as does the odd-in-pictures, slightly better in person Caliber. Avenger, I liked it and was very excited for it at first, but its a vast disappointment, with all the interior problems, a dinky trunk for the mid-size class (and only average if it were a compact, at 13.6 or so cubic feet), and the Sebring is even worse. Plus both base models are spartan, and the engines all suck and/or in the 3.5's case, unnecessarily detuned, down to 235hp, whereas the LX cars' 3.5 is 250hp (and 5 years ago in the LH cars it was about 253). Of course, considering the Camry V-6 has 268hp, that's kinda sad, and even the friggin' 2008 Malibu has 252hp! And the Malibus have been bland and bare-bones and/or awfully pitiful (2004-07) at best!

Also, the Sebring and Compass are abominations. The Airflite concept car of 2003 was one of the most beautiful recent concept cars, probably the best Chrysler since, period. The new Sebring and Compass are just disgraces, especially in base trims.

Are you calling my wife a jerk?

You know what, I'm just stating my opinion. I'm sure your wife is a totally fine person, but underneath its 'bold' styling, there are few actually redeeming qualities about the Nitro. People who buy the Nitro aren't really jerks persay, but are gullable by styling. For all that, I'd rather get an Kia Sorento, or better yet a C-RV (I know... no 6).Just not the best choice. Poor visability, weak power, and gas milage. You don't have to like my opinion, frankly.

Edited by dimitri0917

You know what, I'm just stating my opinion. I'm sure your wife is a totally fine person, but underneath its 'bold' styling, there are few actually redeeming qualities about the Nitro. People who buy the Nitro aren't really jerks persay, but are gullable by styling. For all that, I'd rather get an Kia Sorento, or better yet a C-RV (I know... no 6).Just not the best choice. Poor visability, weak power, and gas milage. You don't have to like my opinion, frankly.

Very well. Personally, I think the Nitro is... Well, ugly. Its only attractive angle is from the back, where it looks like every other SUV on the road. The door handles, which are made with the highest quality of grey plastic, are of an awkward concave design. I'm not a fan of the front end, personally. And then, 24 mpg highway. With the base engine. My wife and I would both prefer a smaller car, but she thinks the Nitro looks alright.

Right now, the only CUVs I'll consider are the VUE and the Equinox/Torrent, and the Theta twins have that Chinese-built 3400, which I will avoid buying strictly on principle. The Equinox Sport, I might consider. But again, we want a smaller car.

Very well. Personally, I think the Nitro is... Well, ugly. Its only attractive angle is from the back, where it looks like every other SUV on the road. The door handles, which are made with the highest quality of grey plastic, are of an awkward concave design. I'm not a fan of the front end, personally. And then, 24 mpg highway. With the base engine. My wife and I would both prefer a smaller car, but she thinks the Nitro looks alright.

Right now, the only CUVs I'll consider are the VUE and the Equinox/Torrent, and the Theta twins have that Chinese-built 3400, which I will avoid buying strictly on principle. The Equinox Sport, I might consider. But again, we want a smaller car.

I feel you. The front end does need some work. In my opinion, the Dodge grille always needs to be done BIG! And the rear is OK, but the best on a CX (crossver) is on the Edge. And you guys should've waited out for the Hornet... lol j/k...(chinese piece of crap for another thread)

Sorrento...lol

What is that supposed to mean Mr.? Are you clowning Kia's Sorento? From what I understand, it's a fine alternative SUV! Two of my younger friends own Sorentos... Sorentoes... Sorentii w/e?

I was just saying to myself the other day...."man, I'm really starting to see a ton of Sebrings around". I saw a top level Sebring (dark blue) sitting in a driveway in a very rich neighbor hood (1.5 million+ houses), and thought it really looked like it belonged there. I had to look twice to make sure it was a Sebring. I don't, however, see any Nitros driving on the streets.

The interior is redeeming in its functionality, like other Chrysler products, the interiors partly redeems themselves by being very functional. Examples: Load `n Go, Stow `n Go, Swivel `n Go, LED flashlight, MyGig, heated/cooled cupholders, Chill Zone, array of storage bins, etc.

Sorrento...lol

:lol:

Please refrain from such remarks. Comments like the one above make you look..well, not so good.

Anyways, I'm not too surprised about the Nitro-many are still sittng on lots around here-not to mention the local dealership is working on a small fleet of them in the shop, for "stuff". A buddy of mine works there as a salesguy, and even he doesn't say good stuff about them....

The Sebring isn't bad, but it could be a lot better...

I'm going to completely agree with Fly on this. It is SOOO true.

It gets even worse when you live in the Motor City.

I get to actually HEAR about it, people who work at the local plants around here.

You should hear what people were saying about the refresh of the Dakota.... :rolleyes:

Its really bad when you watch friends who work at Chrysler-Even with the employee discount (which is all over around here)

are buying GM, or worse, Honda or Kia...

Drive though one of these local plants and tell me I'm joking....

The ONLY reason they are still selling a decent amount of cars here is because they are cheap (heavy discounts, really good lease rates)

Granted the cars aren't that bad. They just are not competitive.

When I talk to employees, the word "half assed" comes up quite a bit.

Damn shame.

I think it's agreed by most that Chrysler needs a lot of work done. The Sebring needs a complete styling overhall.. we're talking 08 Malibu. The current look does not fit on that platform and even if it did look well-proportioned, it would look very bland compared to the new mid-sized sedans coming to the market.

The interior is redeeming in its functionality, like other Chrysler products, the interiors partly redeems themselves by being very functional. Examples: Load `n Go, Stow `n Go, Swivel `n Go, LED flashlight, MyGig, heated/cooled cupholders, Chill Zone, array of storage bins, etc.

:lol:

Once again... what the hell is wrong wif the sorento? Am I the only person in America who thinks this is better than a Nitro? Silly...

And it may be functional, but beauty has to mesh with fuction, and Legos...Legoes... Legii w/e.. are NOT beautiful

Please refrain from such remarks. Comments like the one above make you look..well, not so good.

OK Mr. Modera... oh never mind...

If I cant st8 my opinion, whats the point of this site? I can look as bloody bad as i see fit, but it's my opinion and I'm not gonna bite my tounge/or fingers for daggone near anyone. sorry.

And if you were reading, I at least re-thought my statement and made it a bit more... mainstream for people.

I think it's agreed by most that Chrysler needs a lot of work done. The Sebring needs a complete styling overhall.. we're talking 08 Malibu. The current look does not fit on that platform and even if it did look well-proportioned, it would look very bland compared to the new mid-sized sedans coming to the market.

Malibu? HAHA! The back is probably the worst I've ever seen. The interior is nice and the front is dull. Don't even begin to call the malibu exciting or bold in any way.

Guest YellowJacket894

Malibu? HAHA! The back is probably the worst I've ever seen. The interior is nice and the front is dull. Don't even begin to call the malibu exciting or bold in any way.

At least GM knew how to keep proportions in check with the Malibu. Sorry, but the Malibu owns the living crap out of the Sebring.

Which one would your money buy?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mine goes to the Bowtie. And, yes, I have seen the Sebring in person ... haven't driven one though, but I have driven a Avenger and I don't think there would be that much of a vast difference. The Malibu has much better styling, better engines/powertrain, handling that is on par with the Sebring if not better, better interior design and materials ... need I go on?

Here's my weigh-in on the Chrysler question, and what I think they should do to "fix" things if they can be before it's time for new models.

Sebring is one I've already stated I like lookswise in the exterior. I haven't really seen the interior, but if more interesting colors are part of the fix it supposedly needs, then I'm all for that and more. Again, nothing wrong with the exterior to me.

Avenger is the one that drives me nuts. Why they took the rear quarter with the Charger-look dogleg and Delta-88 dentist hook and added fender flares is beyond me, but that throws it majorly. Between the hook and the fender flares, one of them has to go. I say keep the flares, but kill the hook and just go wth a straight-across beltline (someone care to chop that?). Also, as I've stated before, the Avenger's styling would make one hell of a fastback to compete with the Mazda6, and whatever's in Europe like the Vectra and such. Plus it would be nice to see for Malibu Maxx fans who want an alternative.

Anyone else get the impression Avenger looks compact?

Caliber is cool but could be smoothed out a little.

Dodge and Chrysler brands having SUVs is silly when Jeep caters to that all too well. I'd kill anything that wasn't a Jeep. But keep the Pacifica.

Speaking of Jeep, do they really need to have six four-door box wagon SUVs? They could shave it down to GC, Wrangler, and Liberty and be just fine. Commander should have been a little larger or more like the Range Rover. Bye-bye Compass. How about that Gladiator concept, or something else pickupish to compete with the Sport Trac, Ridgeline, and especially the Avalanche? Or (dare I say it in this current market climate) the Rescue?

The Challenger and Hornet couldn't arrive any faster. The Imperial (as far as the concept idea) isn't right. They should do a lot sleeker version of it, more like the Caddy Sixteen.

At least GM knew how to keep proportions in check with the Malibu. Sorry, but the Malibu owns the living crap out of the Sebring.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mine goes to the Bowtie. And, yes, I have seen the Sebring in person ... haven't driven one though, but I have driven a Avenger and I don't think there would be that much of a vast difference. The Malibu has much better styling, better engines/powertrain, handling that is on par with the Sebring if not better, better interior design and materials ... need I go on?

Although GM didn't exactly do a great job with the Malibu's butt.

Once again... what the hell is wrong wif the sorento? Am I the only person in America who thinks this is better than a Nitro? Silly...

And it may be functional, but beauty has to mesh with fuction, and Legos...Legoes... Legii w/e.. are NOT beautiful

OK Mr. Modera... oh never mind...

If I cant st8 my opinion, whats the point of this site? I can look as bloody bad as i see fit, but it's my opinion and I'm not gonna bite my tounge/or fingers for daggone near anyone. sorry.

And if you were reading, I at least re-thought my statement and made it a bit more... mainstream for people.

Well, if it makes you feel better, I agree with you. :thumbsup: Kia has this thing beat.....

THe Nitro reminds me of those gray bumper Cavaliers in the 90s...expect you're paying like over ten grand more.

And as far as stating your opinion-it's all about taste my friend. :thumbsup:

And I'm glad you updated it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I would go with the bowtie too.

But as far as looks-I need to see the Bu' in person first.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its a sad day when a Chevy looks classier than a Chrysler.