Flybrian

FIRST LOOK: Next-gen Mazda6 Renderings

28 posts in this topic

FIRST LOOK: Next-gen Mazda6 Rendering
Posted Image
Spyshots @ Cardisiac

These renderings are from a French car magazine. The French site (via translation) states that the new Mazda6 appears to grow slightly, especially in the rear to increase trunk space. The greehouse is apparently still very swept, giving the car a coupe-like profile. They predict a Frankfurt or Geneva debut next year for a late 2008 intro to Europe.

So the current design with RX8-inspired front fenders. No thanks.

The 6 was such a great looking design when it debuted, but keeps getting less and less appealing with each facelift/redesign.

Edit: I also see some Nissan in the lines of the headlight and fenders. Nothing builds your credibility as the "unique and different alternative" quite like aping other brands.

Edited by Enzora

Looks like a very nice evolution of the current car. :idhitit:

Edit: I also see some Nissan in the lines of the headlight and fenders.

i was going to say that....

i think it still looks good... maybe not quite as good as what they have now, we'll see

ok.

decent. not bad.

all i can say is it better have the 35 duratec.

Edited by regfootball

that Next-gen Mazda6 Renderings is over a month old from the May issue of Wheels magazine

Next Mazda 6

Broadening the reach of a champion

OVER its five-year run, the Mazda 6 has racked up well over one million global sales for the Hiroshima-based company, but in less than six months time, the wraps come off this crucial second generation.

Wheels has learned that the new Mazda 6 will debut officially at October's Tokyo motor show before going global in 2008. But, with the company looking to Europe for a big slice of sales action, it's possible that some kind of stage¬-managed intro will occur at the Frankfurt show in September.

Despite utilizing an all-new platform (shared with the new Ford Mondeo), the fundamental strut-front, independent-rear suspension layout is retained and Mazda will continue its 'don't mess with success' ethos throughout the new model, improving engines and transmissions, while at the same time sticking close to the familiar sedan, hatch and wagon formats. The fate of the high-performance, turbocharged 6 MPS, however, hangs in the balance.

Inside Mazda, one perceived failing with the current 6 has concerned its lack of rear seat space. So, the next iteration grows up slightly in size, with a 5-10mm increase in wheelbase, body height and width. Sounds marginal, but apparently leg, elbow and head room all get an appreciable boost. Front and rear tracks also widen slightly, and the Mazda 6's famed handling sharpness and body control are expected to be further heightened.

In the donk department, Mazda's MZR-spec 2.0- and 2.3¬litre four-cylinder engines remain, as does the 2.0-litre turbo diesel, with marginal power increases and improved efficiency. The next wave of all-new petrol and diesel engines are not due until the mid-¬cycle refresh in 2010.

Manual variants again get a six-speed box, but Mazda is upping the number of ratios in the auto from five to six to boost economy.

At the sharp end, the 2.3-litre turbocharged MPS has been only a limited success, so a repeat is not on the cards, or at least not straight away.

Design-wise, thanks to the work of ace Mazda penman lwao Koizumi, the current Mazda 6 is a tough act to follow, but the '08 version is still expected to be a looker. Spies say it borrows some of its design language from the new Mazda 2, with a more rounded glasshouse and bolder front guard treatment, coupled with newly extended RX-8-style wheelarches.

PETER NUNN

wheels magazine May 2006

As this article was in an Australian magazine, it is talking about how the new Mazda 6 will be like in Australia, and the 6 does not have the V6 in Australia, we only have the 4 cylinder engines

post-808-1181448789_thumb.jpg

Edited by jamesmcd8

I don't think that's accurate at all - it looks exactly like what someone said earlier, the current car with RX-8 fenders.

All the recent concepts Mazda's been showing - the Nagare, the Senku, etc. - point to something a little more flowing in the company's future design direction. The grille will still be front and center, of course, but I don't think the fenders will be quite that prominent.

As for power, I think the 3.5 V6 is a given, with possibly a 2.0 DISI turbo as the base engine.

This Mazda fender thing, started with the RX-8, has spread throughout the lineup, I mean look at the Mazda2, the CX-7 and CX-9. Even the Mazda3 hatchback has a hint of it. I see no reason to doubt the sketch, it falls right in line with what they've been doing. I kind of like what I see so far.

i'm gonna quote somone else when i say MONDEO MUCH? They look really close to eachother A pillar back. I like it, but I'm used to Mazda's bulges being bulbous. They need to make those curves more rounded, cuz those fender flares and front treatment look flat and boring.

And also, whatever they do, they shouldnt give it that "Nagare" "Hazake" Look. I dont get those. I was hoping for Kabura to spread it's seed through the lineup. That is one hot ride.

Also, why would it's platform be shared with Mondeo? What about Fusion & Company?

Edited by dimitri0917

Is this JamesB? If so, welcome back.

I like it... then again, I tend to love things more on the conservative side, so that may not be good. :AH-HA_wink:

Boring. Predictable.

0.001% less boring than the current Camry.

Reminds me of the 2008 Honda Accord.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I don't know. Mazda could've done a better job styling this one by including more design elements of the more recent concept cars. However, I can understand that Mazda might want to make this more competitive with the Camry/08 Accord/Altima and therefore, must tone down the styling to keep from scaring anyone away.

Reminds of alot of the nextgen midsize sedans. Accord, Camry, and even that "mystery Chevy sedan" sketch we saw a while back that a lot of people speculated was the next Impala.

I hope the next Fusion or Taurus (is the Mazda6 Fusion- or Taurus-sized?) looks similar to this Mazda.

Is this JamesB? If so, welcome back.

Nah. He's around. He posted as recently as the 28th of May.

I'll wait until official photos and not some sketch. Mazda is on a roll now, though, and the new 6 has to continue it.

I'll wait until official photos and not some sketch. Mazda is on a roll now, though, and the new 6 has to continue it.

Or at least spy photos - we should be seeing those late this summer, I would think, assuming the next 6 is pretty close to launching next year.

I rented a mazda 6 back in 06'. It had the 6 cylinder engine. That car was FASSSTTTT and fun to drive. I wouldn't buy it for a daily commute, but I did enjoy flooring that baby. I think it and this refreshed model look fine. Doesn't stop traffic, but doesn't put you too sleep either imo.

i'm gonna quote somone else when i say MONDEO MUCH? They look really close to eachother A pillar back. I like it, but I'm used to Mazda's bulges being bulbous. They need to make those curves more rounded, cuz those fender flares and front treatment look flat and boring.

And also, whatever they do, they shouldnt give it that "Nagare" "Hazake" Look. I dont get those. I was hoping for Kabura to spread it's seed through the lineup. That is one hot ride.

Also, why would it's platform be shared with Mondeo? What about Fusion & Company?

The new Mondeo is the nextgen platform for Ford. I think these renderings do not capture the car. Think Mondeo plus "flow". Should be a great ride.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor