6.0 v.s. 5.3

After a year with my Colorado I am ready to get something with more comfort and power. I have been looking at getting a LT Crew cab 4x4, I am not sure if the 6.0 is worth the extra money. I know people who say the 5.3 has more than enough but a few ppl who have the 6.0 and say they would never have the 5.3. I guess the question is: What will I miss more, the extra couple grand or the extra 52 HP?

Are you talking new (GMT900) Sivlerados or used ones? I could answer better once I know that.

With gas prices always going higher, I would suggest the 5.3, that would be my choice. Although isn't the 5.3 going into the new Colorado when it comes out? Maybe you should wait for that, way less weight and way more engine. :yes:

too bad the 2modes or 6 speeds aren't available yet...that'd help i'm sure...with deciding

What they said - unless you are towing a lot of weight frequently; otherwise, your wallet will thank you now and in the future.

Are you talking new (GMT900) Sivlerados or used ones? I could answer better once I know that.

It is the GMT 900, I was thinking that the 5.3 would be better. I was sold on the 6.0L but looking at the tests it is not that much quicker and it gets much worst milage.

I have the lightest bodystyle of GMT900 available, 2WD regular cab shortbed, and let me tell you, that 5.3L flies! :)

Ocn, have you posted any pics of your truck yet? That combo is my favorite truck combo too...I'm not really a fan of extra long beds or crew cabs. If I ever got bought a truck, it would be a GMC with the same configuration and in black.

I have driven a few of the Chevy trucks with the 5.3 and a 2500 long wheelbase van with the 6.0 liter. That van in spite of how heavy it was MOVED. The 5.3 is ok but the 6.0 liter in that van moved it to another dimension. So the choice comes dow to how much performance do you need?

It depends on what you're going to use your truck for. The 2007 Sierra with a 6.0 is rated at the same MPG as my 2000 Sierra with the 5.3. The 6.0 has VVT and DoD (and the HD trans) vs. the 5.3 only had DoD. The Max Package with the 6.0 also gets you rear disc brakes and a 9.5in rear axle. And if you have an interest in getting white letter tires, GMC forces you to either get the Max Package or order the Z71 suspension package.

I'll likely be ordering a Sierra X-Cab 4x4 w/Max once GMC finally offers the 6 speed auto...

I love the 5.3 in my 03 Suburban and that is without the power boost. It does anything I ask of it and gets respectable mileage to boot. I would say I am pulling a trailer about 20% of the time I am using it, ranging anywhere from just a golf cart trailer to a 19 foot fishing boat or all the way to a steal 4 place snowmobile trailer, that is not light by any means. Although it hunts for gears every once in a while once you get into hilly terrain, I wouldn't trade it for the 6.0. The gas mileage hit wouldn't be worth the extra power to me, because they really are pigs. If I was going to go to anything besides the 5.3, it would be the Duramax.

I think 5.3 is a better buy, if you are "only" replacing your Colo. If you are going to do a lot more towing or heavy duty stuff, get the 6.0. Personally, I love the 6.0 and it is not as much as a gas hog.

jesus christ.. you arent sure about the engine 5.3 or 6.0, here we think in 1.4 vs 1.6 LOL

If that thing had 1.4 or 1.6, even the snails will call it SLOW.

The 5.3. Unless you have some major stuff to move. :thumbsup:

You know I had been thinking about getting a boat, still the power is not necessary.. just nice! After driving them I decided to go wih the 6.0L. I do still have my corolla for a miser. The truck is just going to be "just for fun". :)

You know I had been thinking about getting a boat, still the power is not necessary.. just nice! After driving them I decided to go wih the 6.0L. I do still have my corolla for a miser. The truck is just going to be "just for fun". :)

Nice, don't forget to post some pictures

Edited by Screaming Trees

Saw a new-style black, extended cab shortbed 2500HD with Duramax at Carlisle, slightly lifted with somewhat larger wheels and tires from stock. It was hot. Looked so much better than the rinky-dink stock wheel/tire combination. Edited by ocnblu

Saw a new-style black, extended cab shortbed 2500HD with Duramax at Carlisle, slightly lifted with somewhat larger wheels and tires from stock. It was hot. Looked so much better than the rinky-dink stock wheel/tire combination.

I remember that truck!

Remember my comment after I saw it?