Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mustang84

Ford shaking up industry perception

8 posts in this topic

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?...BLOG05/70607014

WES RAYNAL: Ford shocks the world

What?!?!?

Who’da thunk it? Word comes that Ford rocked the most recent J.D. Power and Associates new-vehicle quality rankings. I honestly never thought I’d be reading that. If the word “Toyota” or “Honda” were in that

sentence instead of “Ford,” I’d believe it. Frankly, I can bet I wouldn’t be writing about it. But Ford? I’m impressed.

Here are some stats to get your head around: Ford won more J.D. Power honors than any other automaker. Ford, Lincoln, Mazda and Mercury all had segment winners. Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Jaguar brands finished in the top 10 nameplates.

Ford’s Wixom Assembly Plant received a Platinum award for world’s best-quality performance. Volvo’s S80 had a top-three showing in the midsize premium car category. Perhaps the best news for Ford is that several of its newest vehicles were among the industry’s best performers.

Toyota slipped two notches, and the Camry didn’t get a top-three mention (what is this, Opposite Land?). General Motors and Mercedes each had three top-ranked models. Honda had two.

But the spotlight belonged to the folks in Dearborn. Good job, Ford. Now, for your own sake, keep the momentum going.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/...173.A12455.html

Problem-plagued Ford Motor Co. has gotten another critical endorsement, this one from the 2007 Vehicle Satisfaction Awards, an annual measure of quality and customer service.

The automaker's Lincoln luxury brand narrowly lost a four-way shoot-out, slipping into second, just behind Nissan's highline Infiniti brand, announced the market research firm, AutoPacific, Inc. Meanwhile, Lincoln's new MKX crossover was named top-ranked truck, while the Ford division's new Edge crossover was best in its category.

Ford's strong showing underscored the findings of another recent quality report, the widely published Initial Quality Survey, from J.D. Power and Associates, where Lincoln shot to third place, while the sibling Mercury division ranked eighth, and the Ford division came in tenth.

AutoPacifica rankings:

1. Infiniti (679)

2. Cadillac (678)

2. Lincoln (678)

4. Lexus (676)

5. Mercedes-Benz (666)

6. Acura (661)

7. Hummer (660)

8. Jaguar (653)

9. BMW (650)

9. GMC (650)

11. Volkswagen (648)

12. Mercury (646)

13. Audi (644)

13. Nissan (644)

15. Land Rover (643)

INDUSTRY AVERAGE: 632

I suspect that these findings have a lot more to do with PERCEPTION than reality. I've driven the Fusion and I gotta say that I love the look of this car, especially the inside. Would I trust it over the Malibu? Not yet. Give it a year or so to prove itself. Ford's history (and Chrysler's, for that matter) is too spotty.

But people's perceptions of Ford (and GM) has never been anywhere near based on reality.

Its about damn time.

With all the good stuff happening at Ford right now, from this to letting engineers actually work...they may get out of this alive yet.

I take back some of the things I said about Mulally, it looks like I was a little hasty in my opinion of his worth.

I suspect that these findings have a lot more to do with PERCEPTION than reality. I've driven the Fusion and I gotta say that I love the look of this car, especially the inside. Would I trust it over the Malibu? Not yet. Give it a year or so to prove itself. Ford's history (and Chrysler's, for that matter) is too spotty.

But people's perceptions of Ford (and GM) has never been anywhere near based on reality.

fusion = mazda 6.....that's proven enough already since about 2003.

Like I've said for a while now... Ford now, is about a year behind GM in their turnaround. we're starting to see positive results.

Ford's issue is their product cadence. If all cars are now 'World" cars, there's alot of launch schedules that need to be redone.

I think the greatest irony is that Ford could drop dead or be sold off with the finest all-around product line-up in its history!

The new Jags, Mondeo,Mustang, F150, the three amigos & all the Focus-based stuff are class stuff. Mazda got some compelling product and the Volvo nameplate is very valuable...I secretly hope that they find no buyer for PAG.

Ford's issue is their product cadence. If all cars are now 'World" cars, there's alot of launch schedules that need to be redone.

I think the greatest irony is that Ford could drop dead or be sold off with the finest all-around product line-up in its history!

The new Jags, Mondeo,Mustang, F150, the three amigos & all the Focus-based stuff are class stuff. Mazda got some compelling product and the Volvo nameplate is very valuable...I secretly hope that they find no buyer for PAG.

I agree.

As for PAG, it seems that Ford is just examining it's options and probably would've sold the unit (or has at least been shopping it for a while) by now if anything were to come of it (crosses fingers)

The reason Ford is dieing is the very same reason GM is dieing: Perception and unfortunately until the media are STFU it's not going to change. On the flip side, I'm willing to bet that if PAG is sold, it'll be a huge hit (because Ford made the products so competent) just as soon as the press advertises that it is no longer american owned.

I just read an article that said Mulally is putting to rest the rampant rumors that they are selling PAG...it is merely one of many options on the table. I don't see why they would sell it considering it made $402 million profit in Q1, and not to mention that the new Jag is coming out in the next few months.

Here's the article

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articl...NLINE000505.htm

Edited by mustang84

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0