::Road Trip Update::

This is Dodgefan btw

So we're still here, the car is finally about ready to go.

Basically it's been an ongoing saga with the B-59 and it's water pump. JB Weld didn't work, Teflon Tape didn't work, so in the end we ended up drilling and threading holes for the impeller and the shaft, then after Paul, Jessica and I went to Sears for screws, we threaded them into the shaft to keep the impeller on, and cut the bolt heads off so they wouldn't hit anything.

After that the 3 of us (while Sixty8 worked on the car), went on another trip to AutoZone and then Advanced Auto Parts for a belt that would fit the water pump/generator. Sixty8 managed to fit one on by the time we got back but it's good to have a spare. So now the car runs like a champ, but the water pump leaks a bit. That's what adding coolant is for though!

Other fun stuff includes a 4th gen Camaro fan (from speedingpenguin) mounted reverse to help keep the engine cool when the car isn't moving. It makes a lotta noise but hey it works...and probably won't be heard over the sound of the car's non-existant exhaust. We have it packed up and sagging already but that's half the fun. It's also got a boom box rigged up for superior sound quality. 8)

So...yeah...it's almost 9 and and we're still here! But we'l be leaving soon, so I hope you're ready for a midnight doorbell ing Baltazar. :P

We'll be bringing the laptop, so expect to see a post every now and then. Wish us luck!

Onstar, how can I help you?

Yeah, there's ahh wicked lauwd sqeelin' noise comin' from the cah!

Let me go ahead and run a diagnostics check. Okay. Its showing the indicated malfunctions...still showing...just a second, sir...still showing...apparently, there's more...okay...no...wait...okay. Hmm. Have you been doing any aggressive braking or sudden accelerations allowing the wheels to rotate while stationary?

Is that like a burnout?

Yes, sir...

*CLICK*

Hello? Sir?

UPDATE :: Just got off the phone with Sixty8 (10:30 pm) ~~ apparently the latest fix for the water pump is a no-go: 40 miles from home and the B-59 is red hot in the cooling system. Plan is to go back to home base, regroup, and perhaps take the Roadmaster. In that this may mean a 3-4 AM swing-thru here at the Ranch, I am now officially off the sight-seeing list. Another time.

Gotta hand it to Sixty8 for his dedication on trying to get another set of fins there to greet the P-57 (I hear a contingency of Exner MoPars will be there).

I had my B-59 rolled outside and waiting for a nose-to-nose photo op, expecting them maybe around 7pm... and at 8 when it started raining hard I paniced and ran back to my shop. Home alone & unable to push the 315/60-15s back up over the concrete lip, I had to push the B-59 in with my F-150. Did I mention I don't have the tie rod on it? Ahh, who cares; it's all good when you're ramrodding around vintage iron. I have to get cutting on the firewall ASAP anyway.

It was good to see her outside in natural light again.

Good luck, guys !! Vicariously & jealously looking forward to road trip updates here.

Ah, the folly of Sixty8s plan has come undone.. if he had taken a Camry or Prius instead, the trip would have gone smoothly and with no problems.. :) Remember--- Toyota-- Moving Forward <tm> :)

Edited by moltar

Oh my goodness ... sorry you've had such problems getting started on your trip, Sixty8....

Hope to see you in IL....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"My heart is like an open highway" ... Bon Jovi ... 'It's My Life'

Sixty8 again...

Ahhh well... it's all good. The 1959 Buick would have gotten

about 14 on the highway... give or take. We're getting

EXACTLY double that in the Intrepid. Plus the whole Datsun

camper sage will alow me to "nose up the 59" to Balthazar's

Invicta soon enough.

I tried EVERYTHING I possibly could to take the Buick... but

in the end when th car still overheated and the waterpump

was pissing dexcool like a faucet we had to think of a plan

B. In the end it's all working out great. Having a great time,

the conversation & sight seeing makes up for the vintage

iron feel of the B-59 which is loud as a *#&$% right now

since the exhaus lacks ANY muffler... long story.

Hello from Virginia... we're about to cross over into Tenn &

very shortly after into Georgia. Perhaps it was meant to be,

we're rockin' a Mopar to go see a 50 year old Mopar get

ecavated & see the light of day for the first time in 50 years.

For those who wish to call us my cell # is 978-621-6795.

Right now the plan is to head to New Orleans... since we are

ahead of schedule all in all.

Good Luck Guys. Nothing is more fitting than going to excavate a MOPAR with a MOPAR, may be it was destiny, like cars attract each other, or GOD, or hell whatever, which is making your determination come to reality.

That is sad news indeed, but the fact they went on this journey and are sharing is interesting to me. I thought about calling, but they do not know me and I do not know them. I would not know what to say. It is just interesting reading and watching..

I know you, you know me, we're the C&G family! (Sung to the tune of Barney) :smilewide:

4,300 miles and we're back (as of last night after almost non-stop driving)! It was a blast, so many stories to tell, so many things to see (and hundreds of pictures to post), and one very, very dirty Mopar 8).

Full Story and photos coming soon to a thread near you!

-I've been everywhere, man-

Edited by Dodgefan

I like the comment about how good the intrepid was on gas. My Concorde got 28-29 to the gallon on the highway.

Be interesting to see the photographs.

Chris

Sixty8's got all of the photos, which he'll put on discs tomorrow, from there we'll begin the long task of posting them. As for the Intrepid, it averaged 26 or so mpg...I believe the best tank was 28mpg and the worst was 24mpg.

So yes we are finally back! :D and I am sooo very happy. The road trip was absolutely awesome! I would not trade any moment of the trip for the world. So towards the end of the trip, the last day I think I started to feel HORRIBLE. I started to get the chills when it was hot as hell outside and then got hot flashes and my throat became REALLY sore it was hard to breathe, need I say 68 was not feeling so great when we started this journey, but it did not hit me until the last night. So today at 9am Dodgefan and I went to the doctor's office and they said I had and ear infection in both ears and I might have strep throat, which oh btw my ears were like killing me they hurt sooo bad! So they tested me for strep and the test came back negative and they were shocked because my throat looked really bad! So then they took a 'better' test on my throat and I guess I will get those results back tomorrow. So not only did I come back home with some great memories, I came back to my near death bed. So I am not sure if I caught this from 68 or what but I got it worse off then him, and Dodgefan and Tall Paul better look out... and if I did or didn't get this from 68 I know getting very lil sleep did not help my immune system at all, I mean hell we only got a hotel room for one night! Every other minute was spent in the car driving! But even though Dodgefan and I's checking account is sucked dry... (I mean in the negatives) and I am REALLY sick, there is not one regret! I had a total blast and I am happy to have been apart of history!