Pentagon Confirms It Sought To Build A 'Gay Bomb'

So, we did want gays in the military...just not ours.

--------

Pentagon Confirms It Sought To Build A 'Gay Bomb'

Jun 8, 2007 9:03 pm US/Pacific

(CBS 5) BERKELEY A Berkeley watchdog organization that tracks military spending said it uncovered a strange U.S. military proposal to create a hormone bomb that could purportedly turn enemy soldiers into homosexuals and make them more interested in sex than fighting.

Pentagon officials on Friday confirmed to CBS 5 that military leaders had considered, and then subsquently rejected, building the so-called "Gay Bomb."

Edward Hammond, of Berkeley's Sunshine Project, had used the Freedom of Information Act to obtain a copy of the proposal from the Air Force's Wright Laboratory in Dayton, Ohio.

As part of a military effort to develop non-lethal weapons, the proposal suggested, "One distasteful but completely non-lethal example would be strong aphrodisiacs, especially if the chemical also caused homosexual behavior."

The documents show the Air Force lab asked for $7.5 million to develop such a chemical weapon.

"The Ohio Air Force lab proposed that a bomb be developed that contained a chemical that would cause enemy soldiers to become gay, and to have their units break down because all their soldiers became irresistably attractive to one another," Hammond said after reviewing the documents.

"The notion was that a chemical that would probably be pleasant in the human body in low quantities could be identified, and by virtue of either breathing or having their skin exposed to this chemical, the notion was that soliders would become gay," explained Hammond.

The Pentagon told CBS 5 that the proposal was made by the Air Force in 1994.

"The Department of Defense is committed to identifying, researching and developing non-lethal weapons that will support our men and women in uniform," said a DOD spokesperson, who indicated that the "gay bomb" idea was quickly dismissed.

However, Hammond said the government records he obtained suggest the military gave the plan much stronger consideration than it has acknowledged.

"The truth of the matter is it would have never come to my attention if it was dismissed at the time it was proposed," he said. "In fact, the Pentagon has used it repeatedly and subsequently in an effort to promote non-lethal weapons, and in fact they submitted it to the highest scientific review body in the country for them to consider."

Military officials insisted Friday to CBS 5 that they are not currently working on any such idea and that the past plan was abandoned.

Gay community leaders in California said Friday that they found the notion of a "gay bomb" both offensive and almost laughable at the same time.

"Throughout history we have had so many brave men and women who are gay and lesbian serving the military with distinction," said Geoff Kors of Equality California. "So, it's just offensive that they think by turning people gay that the other military would be incapable of doing their job. And its absurd because there's so much medical data that shows that sexual orientation is immutable and cannot be changed."

Guest YellowJacket894

It may be insulting to the gay community, so just forgive the fact that I'm reading that article and just laughing my f@#kin' ass off. The whole idea is just obscene and so damn hilarious.

Send this to Lewis Black. Really. I want to hear him go on a half-hour rant about it at Comedy Central's Last Laugh '07 this December or on The Daily Show next week. Then I can just laugh at it all over again, and probably even harder too, since it is Black making fun of it after all. For those of you who have listened to his last HBO special in '06 I think, and listened to him rant and make fun of the Pennsylvania senator who was homophobic, just imagine what kind of spin he can do to this story if he could absolutely toast the hell outta him and that said guy's remarks on homosexuality.

Edited by YellowJacket894

This is how they've been spending our money??

My dad was suggesting I should look for a new job in Florida, where my brother lives. After reading this thing I am so happy I decided to go elsewhere! I would not want my tax money spent on this kind of nonsense.

So how many millions of taxpayers dollars did it take the Neo-cons that run the military to realize that they believe that "gayness" is a chosen behavior and cannot be biologically created, therefore this bomb could never work. :rolleyes:

It's amazing how much stereotype and ignorance runs rampant in a government that is blurring the lines between church and state (science vs faith). Many people need to go back and read biographies of Jefferson, Washington, Madison and Adams to see what this country was founded on and by.

Mr. Jefferson, I am sad to say that it seems that in this date of 2007, this grand experiment called Democracy is "in it's last throws."

So how many millions of taxpayers dollars did it take the Neo-cons that run the military to realize that they believe that "gayness" is a chosen behavior and cannot be biologically created, therefore this bomb could never work. :rolleyes:

It's amazing how much stereotype and ignorance runs rampant in a government that is blurring the lines between church and state (science vs faith). Many people need to go back and read biographies of Jefferson, Washington, Madison and Adams to see what this country was founded on and by.

Mr. Jefferson, I am sad to say that it seems that in this date of 2007, this grand experiment called Democracy is "in it's last throws."

THe article didn't say it was funded, so I don't know. But it did cost us for them to sit around a table and say, "I've got it. A gay bomb."

What's a neo-con? I think I know what it is. How come its okay for you to have a political signature and talk about politics when the rule clearly states "2) No political talk. There are plenty of forums on the 'net for that. Lets keep C&G free of political talk." I know your the admin, but things like this and other things make we want to get my auto info from other places.

What can we get from the bios of the founding fathers on this? Or what were you trying to say with that statement?

I think Mr. Jefferson would say, "Well I told you so." He warned the people of Democracy. The founding fathers warned us of "majority rules". We were never suppose to be a Democracy. Did you know the majority of the people did not want to seperate from the kings rule? Well, most people wouldn't know.

On a side note, I heard about this before a couple years ago. Its still funny as hell.

Hilarious and very sad at the same time.

I guess the military never studied their history either (sorry, blackviper), but the ancient Greeks used to put gay lovers on the front lines because they would fight HARDER to protect one and other - they became ferocious warriors. Alexander the Great also used to employ this type of troop deployment.

Just part of the history that can never be spoken. SHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I usually don't chime in on these anymore because of the political angle, and I would stop if it became a contentious debate instead of some people making fun of the dolts that run this country (that is a non-partisan dig). If this topic became ugly, we'd shut it down and I would not say another word about it.

There's a reason I barely post anymore - I know it's a car site but with the state of affairs in the country and the world, I really can't concentrate on cars anymore and have become an activist on other things.

My statement about the founding fathers was to battle anyone who says that this country was built around "Christian" values, and to remind them that they were all Deists, that believed in a "creator" but not in a meddling god that guides all that people do and sees all (the way the majority of religions see it). That's all.

I have begun to study the early republic, the rag-tag men who created it and what their intentions, if any, were. And I also started to study the Constitution (that "goddamned piece of paper" GW Bush) and what it should mean to us as Americans.

I'll shut up and go back to the underground vast left-wing conspiracy bunker I live in.

Guest YellowJacket894

According to the Wikipedia article here they also had the idea of spraying enemy soldiers with bee pheromones and then putting hives in various areas.

It's official, our military is a joke. I mean, we're fighting a losing war and now we're releasing documents that prove we are utterly retarded. North Korea, you can launch those missiles now. :rolleyes:

Hilarious and very sad at the same time.

I guess the military never studied their history either (sorry, blackviper), but the ancient Greeks used to put gay lovers on the front lines because they would fight HARDER to protect one and other - they became ferocious warriors. Alexander the Great also used to employ this type of troop deployment.

Just part of the history that can never be spoken. SHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I most certainly have studied my history. Sir, you are delusional. And to think you're a fellow atheist and homosexual. *shakes head*

According to the Wikipedia article here they also had the idea of spraying enemy soldiers with bee pheromones and then putting hives in various areas.

It's official, our military is a joke. I mean, we're fighting a losing war and now we're releasing documents that prove we are utterly retarded. North Korea, you can launch those missiles now. :rolleyes:

Yes, It's quite sad.

suggested by the Air Force? I'd have expected the navy.

haha :duck:

I'm surprised that joke didn't come up within three posts.

This was a dumb idea, and the military knows it too.

However, I believe in using bees against our enemies, because not only will it be effective, it'll also make for good CNN. :P

That.. or we can strap some massive speakers onto some planes and blast the Bee-Gee's over the Middle East... but even I think that's cruel.

There's a reason why it was eventually rejected. Someone at some point came to their senses.

[off-topic]

Speaking of interesting weapons that were never used in combat, has anyone ever heard of the Bat Bomb? Millions of bats would be released over a city, carrying napalm and spreading it quickly. I was watching a documentary that said that tests of the weapon were a complete success, but it was quickly rendered obsolete by the atomic bomb.

[/off-topic]

You may now continue bashing the US government.

If such a weapon did exist, it would be amusing to use against the insurgents in Iraq..those Muslim guys are more homophobic than evangelical Christians..

Or if we were to ever go to war with the Jamaicans. Be hearing the words "bumbaclot batty boy" thrown all over the plave as the "SHOT-tas" smoke one another....

But yeah, the anti-gay passions of both camps is fierce.

I take no offense to this. It would be a temporary thing to disrupt the enemy's mission, not a permanent change to their orientation, and you can bet there's research behind it. I see no reason to think it couldn't be done. But it is hilarious.

What is wrong with thinking of non-lethal, but highly effective weapons? All we need to do is control the enemy for a time so we can round them up and defeat them. Bees, Gay Bombs... they don't seem so far-fetched if you think about it. Guns are selective in their effectiveness. We need something that blankets the enemy, covers every man, without affecting the landscape. Non-lethal chemical warfare, if you will.

Now, who wants to be the first to volunteer as a test subject for continuing research into this "Gay Bomb"? :AH-HA_wink:

Wait a sec, what about the women in the millitary? Would that cause them to go lesbian? Or would it cause lesbians to go straight?

You know, the best sort of non-lethal chemical warfare would be to somehow get real, potent MDMA into the enemies supply lines. Think about what would happen if the entire enemy camp became amorous, horny, too happy to fight and only wanting to take their shirts off and dance! :lol:

This would give the military a 4-6 hour window to go in and round up the weapons while the enemy is strolling around, telling each other how much they love each other and giving each other massages! Throw a little crystal meth in there and they would f$%k anything that moved for hours on end and not care if a tractor trailer ran over them!*

(* All reactions are suppositions on my part, from things I've been told by friends) :AH-HA_wink: