Tulsa Plymouth Sunk?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting..I see SixtyEight is quoted in the article on the kotv website..cool.

*grins*

Now THAT is AWESOME :).

He he

I spoke to 68 a few times tonight ... they are going to try to stop here en route home tomorrow night ... to meet me ... and see the MCs, too. We'll see how it all works out!

In the meantime, I was able to watch part of the live unveiling at 7p central time Friday night before heading out to Dad's softball games. The part I saw was really rather cool. I know several others who were there in person ... so, I look forward to chatting with them, too, at some point in the next week or so.

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Things get complicated when you get past 18" ... Statler Brothers ... 'Class of '57'

Well after studying all of the pictures I've been able to see so far I finally found a spot of rust through on the car, and its pretty small all things considered...look to the lower left hand corner of the wheel well in this pic.

Posted Image

Edit: on second thought it may not even be a rust hole, these cars had a chrome molding in that spot on Belvedere models, that could be the lip of that moldings outline. :scratchchin:

Here is a pic to show you the molding.

Posted Image

Edited by Delta Force79

I am too...it seems to me that the majority of the look of the car is due to mud and sediment from the disolved cosmoline and other protective layers. It took them literally about 5 seconds to wipe off that chrome on the front bumper...and bring up the original shine. The interior is toast, but I think the exterior has a shot. It may even have most of it's paint still.

I just want to go down there and clean it myself. I am so anxious to see how it is under that mud. That chrome is especially promising as well as the fact that the tires still are holding air in the front at least. The interior has no hope though. They should restore the interior at least and leave the exterior clean but original.

I sure would like to see it without all of the dirt. The interior,running gear, and electricals are obviously junk - but the body might... might not be. It looks as though the exterior sheetmetal was preserved by the coatings, but the inner structures could be totaled.

Th frame is probably a lost cause due to being under water more than the rest of the car...the rear seat is totally gone, only the springs remain, which is odd considering the front seat is intact mostly. It also seems that they broke the vent windows as they seme to be missing now...as well as the door lever on the passenger door, perhaps trying to open it from the inside and the handle broke off <_<

Edited by Delta Force79

Someone has to have pics!

I did a search, but had no luck.

Have faith... Wait till I get home, you guys KNOW how I am about photos.

So far I have a 512 & 1G memory card FULL of photos from our roadtrip! 8)

Met up with a gentleman from Buick-59.com and saw TWO 1959 Buicks in

Tulsa, the first one was the first classic car that we saw as we pulled into

down town Tulsa. I beleive in fate, I guess my B-59 did not feel up to the

trip, or perhaps if we had taken it we would have fared worse in that 10

car pile up we almost got caught up in by Dallas TX. We cheated death

that night, and still got to see TWO 1959 Buicks in Tulsa.

I think many of you are not seeing the forest for the trees.

Yes, we al hoped the car would be MINT, but we all knew

the chances of that were slim, in reality the car would only

be mint if it was kept in a climate controled garage in AZ

and the fluids were drained etc...

The car is a priceless treasure, rusty or not it is a national

heirloom and should not be F***ed with.

Boyd Coddington, a guy who is famous for cutting up and

messing with cars that should be left original, a guy who

has made his living by screwing up classic cars for reality

TV and celebrities said:

"She's beautiful just the way she is, leave her just like that"

If I won the car, I'd clean her up but in such a way as to

keep her original and park the car right in my living room!

Well I made it on the Video. :D

http://www.kotv.com/e-clips/?id=6754

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

oklatravel.net will be showing more of the unveiling from last night, and maybe different angles, it starts a 10 am EST....so in about 30 minutes. I don't know if there is going to coverage of today's events

We may not get a winner, apparently the microfilm is gone, the case that contained it was found inside the car and the case was rusted through. The Belvedere is at the Tulsa car show right now,

I think it should at least be cleaned, inside and out. Not restored because that would be to alter it, but cleaning it up would show due respect, imo.

*nods*

Whole-heartedly agree with ya, ocnblu :).

I'm surprised it has NOT been cleaned up yet ... maybe it will be...?

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"A concrete fascination scraping the edge of nothing" ... White Zombie ... 'Black Sunshine'

Well, I certainly do not agree with that decision... but hey, they're there, they can see the condition of the car through the muck with their own eyes. I am just intensely curious here in PA.

There has been quite a few profile shots of the car where the Gold color can be seen under the crud....why not give it a good rinse or maybe an industrial size steam cleaner and try to get as much off without touching the car for fear of damaging the metal or paint. I'd probably opt for the steam clean method myself.