Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

iPhone

Satty

Its coming, and I want one badly, I just cant get anyone from AT&T to tell me if I'll have to renew my contract to get one for $599. I really don't want to renew, but I also don't want to see what they go for when they hit eBay.<_<

I don't usually get excited about these kinds of things... but I also really want one! My problem is that I don't want to switch providers, so it gives me a good reason to wait a bit assuming Verizon gets it later on.

i prefer good basic flip phones. But other than that, as a browser and an Ipod.....i think its cool.

Since i just got a 160 gig apple tv for at home, i won't be popping for an 8gb iphone anytime soon. I'll get/have already gotten much more and better use out of my apple tv than just about any device in recent memory, except for my old 4g 40gb ipod, which is about 3 years old and still works good.

if you're a gadget freak and can't afford the iPhone, seriously treat yourself to an apple tv. Browsing for your tv shows and music on the tv is a godsend as opposed to fumbling with discs all day.

I'll admit, email on the phone would be cool though.

Edited by regfootball

I don't usually get excited about these kinds of things... but I also really want one! My problem is that I don't want to switch providers, so it gives me a good reason to wait a bit assuming Verizon gets it later on.

The iPhone is exclusive to ATT by contract. There will not be a duplicate under another model number (like Moto) for other carriers.

The iPhone is exclusive to ATT by contract. There will not be a duplicate under another model number (like Moto) for other carriers.

That's what I thought, but an article in the LA Times suggested there might be other carriers. The article also mentioned possible early upgrades and a drop in price. Either way... I'll wait and see.

There are more useful gadgets than this to spend $600 on.

If I wanted a phone that doubled as a personal computer, I'd get something along the lines of a Palm OS or Pocket PC based phone instead. These phones have far better software support, which will take a long time for the iPhone to match.

Meanwhile, my mother-in-law ordered a basic Nokia flip phone for about $30 (with $50 Verizon online discount). It has all the essentials: speakerphone, TXT/PIX/FLIX, Bluetooth compatibility... That's a lot for 30 bucks; a lot more than most phones were even 4 years ago. The iPhone will never be that cheap, but I can guarantee that there will be copycats that WILL be that cheap.

I bought my laptop for $700, and that lets me view full size web pages much better than any cell phone could. For the first year or two, the iPhone will basically be a mass-market tech demo.

I've also heard that first-run Apple products typically have a lot of bugs that need to be worked out. So, if you absolutely must have an iPhone, I'd suggest waiting awhile.

The iPhone has some really neat features, such as the ability to see a list of your voicemails and play them rather than listening to them all in a row. Also, the touch screen is really cool. However, the battery life is not good, it's quite expensive for what you get, and the EDGE network is pretty slow.

The iphone is cool and all...hell, I was wanting one real bad as well. I wouldn't consider one though till at least the first update of it comes out. I'm sure it will have many issues from the start, and whatever update it will have will improve it immensely I'm sure. Hell, they might even make it 3G compatible.

What I'm really interested in seeing is the Google phone. There isn't much info on it yet, and who knows what it will look like, but that should definitely steal some of Apple's thunder.

The iphone is cool and all...hell, I was wanting one real bad as well. I wouldn't consider one though till at least the first update of it comes out. I'm sure it will have many issues from the start, and whatever update it will have will improve it immensely I'm sure. Hell, they might even make it 3G compatible.

What I'm really interested in seeing is the Google phone. There isn't much info on it yet, and who knows what it will look like, but that should definitely steal some of Apple's thunder.

That's the first I've heard of a Google phone. Wouldn't that be the first physical product they've ever made?

meh....after all the "you've bene selected to recieve a free Apple iphone" ads I hear online on sites...the first one I see I plan on running over with my car.

It's fairly common to see banner ads of the "[finsh the ridiculously easy mini game] and receive a free [gadget of the month]!" variety. Unfortunately, as long as people keep clicking them, they will never go away.

I'm an Apple fan and owner (MacBook Pro, 30gb iPod) but the iPhone doesn't really interest me.. it's cool and all, but I'm not much for PDAs/Blackberrys, etc... I like a phone strictly for calling, and the smaller the better. I had a company Treo with my last job, and it was too big yet the keys too small to be practical for emails, IMHO... I'll stick w/ my KRAZR for now...and use the MacBook and wireless to surf on the go...

Edited by moltar

I'm an Apple fan and owner (MacBook Pro, 30gb iPod) but the iPhone doesn't really interest me.. it's cool and all, but I'm not much for PDAs/Blackberrys, etc... I like a phone strictly for calling, and the smaller the better. I had a company Treo with my last job, and it was too big yet the keys too small to be practical for emails, IMHO... I'll stick w/ my KRAZR for now...and use the MacBook and wireless to surf on the go...

OK. This is spooky. We both have the same laptop, same size iPod, and the same phone. Either Apple fans in general have similarly excellent taste, or this is one of those Twilight Zone things where a clone of yourself exists in a different town.

I see the iPhone being more popular to the high school/college crowd. Why I think that businesses will choose against it is because of it's overly expensive price, and the fact that it doesn't have a physical keyboard to use. And no matter how pretty or thoughtfully designed, a pixel can never replace an actual button.

The iPhone will be the new iPod. It'll be the must-have gadget for spoiled teens everywhere.

I love the iPhone because its rolling out on middle-rung 2G technology yet idiots are waiting days in line to buy one. Go ahead and get your overpriced non-ergo "phone" device while I get my 3G-capable phone for a fraction of the price and be able to stream video and not be locked into a 2+ year service agreement with AT&T.

I love the iPhone because its rolling out on middle-rung 2G technology yet idiots are waiting days in line to buy one. Go ahead and get your overpriced non-ergo "phone" device while I get my 3G-capable phone for a fraction of the price and be able to stream video and not be locked into a 2+ year service agreement with AT&T.

Exactly, I'm with you 100% :yes:

You guys just don't get it... Did you even watch the vidoes on the Apple website? :nono:

The kid in me wants it sooooo bad, but the adult in me knows it's expensive! Though the phone plans aren't too bad. They start around $60 for 450 rollover minutes, and have UNLIMITED e-mail/web usage!

And to be honest, I've never used either the iPhone or a Blackberry type phone (in regards to the keyboard). But, I think the combinaiton of soft keys and the software behind them makes the iPhone waaayyyy better then a mini-keyboard.

hehe, we just re-upped on our cell phone plan last night and got three new samsung phones.....for free. 3 phones, 3 car chargers, 2 bluetooth headsets...for like 80 bucks total.

i phone may be cool but i can't even justify that.

Edited by regfootball

No thanks. I'm pretty sure it'll either be the Treo 680 or the AT&T 8525 for my next phone. The Treo take a full-sized SD card, so I can keep the cards I have, but the 8525 has a nice big screen, which I like for using as a GPS. I have until Oct. to decide.

There's no voice dialing. That's insane. With my KRZR (as with my V710 before it) I can dial by tapping my headset and saying "Call (person) Mobile" It's not only stupid but unsafe to have drivers attention drawn from the road to a phonescreen to dial. An unbelievable oversight, especially considering California's impending hands-free law

• 5 months later...

My brother has one.. He commutes on the GO Train 35 minutes each way to work. At night he has his Iphone set to download some top 10 video clips and he watches them on the way to work (I'm not sure of the specifics). He also watches youtube stuff on it quite a bit. Its a pretty sweet screen for a phone/PDA, I'll give it that much. I guess you could accomplish the same thing with an Ipod touch over WIFI.

Edited by frogger