Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GM aims to sell 100,000 Chevrolets in Germany: paper

6 posts in this topic

GM aims to sell 100,000 Chevrolets in Germany: paper

Sunday June 17, 8:07 am ET

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp (NYSE:GM - News) aims to quadruple sales of its Chevrolet brand cars in Germany within seven years, the division's manager was quoted as saying on Sunday.

"In the next six to seven years we want to reach a sales level of 100,000 cars, Chevrolet Germany Managing Director Peter Sommer told Die Welt newspaper, according to a preview of its Monday edition.

Chevrolet's European sales rose 15.6 percent in 2006 to more than 341,000 cars, including 23,132 in Germany, helping to push General Motors' overall European sales over the 2 million mark for the first time.

Sommer said Chevrolet planned to increase the number of dealers in Germany over the next two years to between 350 and 360, from 300 now, and the number of outlets to 600, from 450

source:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/070617/gm_germany.html?.v=1

they need to expand the Chevrolet lineup in Germany.. Why the HHR isnt sold in Europe is beyond belief. I think it would do really well there. also sending a few Camaro's across the pond wouldnt be to bad of an idea eiether. here is the current list of chevrolets and confirmed future products I think should be sold in Europe. some might already be sold there.

HHR, Corvette, Camaro, Aveo, Cobalt SS turbo coupe, Impala, Colorado crew cab pickup..

ive said for years that we dont export enough cars out of this country.

here is the current list of chevrolets and confirmed future products I think should be sold in Europe. some might already be sold there.

HHR, Corvette, Camaro, Aveo, Cobalt SS turbo coupe, Impala, Colorado crew cab pickup..

ive said for years that we dont export enough cars out of this country.

My :twocents:

1. HHR won't sell with an offer of just one gasoline engine.

2. Corvette is a separate brand here, sold side by side with Cadillac. Both are niche players.

3. Camaro won't be more than a niche player with its V6 and V8 engines.

4. Aveo is sold in Europe but a 2-star crash test rating doesn't help ont the marketing front.

5. Cobalt SS Turbo coupe: if the NG Cobalt is indeed a global product, maybe a sporty one can be added to the mix.

6. Impala: See Camaro re the V6 and V8 engines, and it's probably too big for our roads.

7. Colorado crew cab: Maybe with a decent diesel engine...

I think American cars are not successful in Europe mainly because of size: driving a Chevy Tahoe in the historic areas of many European cities where streets are narrow, or parking it in a standard Euro parking space isn't easy. We have a lot less free space than you guys have so what is conveniently-sized in Europe is different from what is conveniently-sized in the US :AH-HA_wink:

I thought the small GM pickups were available in Europe - or maybe I'm thinking of the Holden version in Australia...?

However, there are other American GM models that might do respectably well in the EU. The next Malibu and G6, for instance, being based on the same platform as the Vectra, would be a good start. The Cobalt (or whatever they'll call it - Monza, maybe?) and HHR would do well with a diesel option.

Also, if they're not planning on selling it as a straight-up Commodore in the future (Vauxhall's already got their VXR8 version), the well-appointed Pontiac G8 could sell to the same Euro buyers that Chrysler gets with the 300.

What about the Enclave? Being a bit bigger and (I think) better-looking than the class-champion Lexus RX might win it some friends. Sell it at Cadillac dealers.

As for the Camaro, why not? I think a Camaro with a torquey diesel V6 might do well on either side of the pond.

I think American cars are not successful in Europe mainly because of size: driving a Chevy Tahoe in the historic areas of many European cities where streets are narrow, or parking it in a standard Euro parking space isn't easy. We have a lot less free space than you guys have so what is conveniently-sized in Europe is different from what is conveniently-sized in the US :AH-HA_wink:

I was kinda surprised by the amount of Grand Cherokees, 300C/300 Estates, and Voyagers I saw while living in Rome. Granted there were some streets that were narrow enough that you'd have to have a microcar to get through them, but there were quite a few big Chryslers, MBs, BMWs, and Audis roaming around. I could see the Tahoe at least being imported there and doing well, but it would never make huge sales numbers. Cars like the Impala would stay niche because the people that could afford them really have no need for such a large car (unless you're in Germany where the streets are larger and big cars are more common).

I was kinda surprised by the amount of Grand Cherokees, 300C/300 Estates, and Voyagers I saw while living in Rome. Granted there were some streets that were narrow enough that you'd have to have a microcar to get through them, but there were quite a few big Chryslers, MBs, BMWs, and Audis roaming around. I could see the Tahoe at least being imported there and doing well, but it would never make huge sales numbers. Cars like the Impala would stay niche because the people that could afford them really have no need for such a large car (unless you're in Germany where the streets are larger and big cars are more common).

Cadillac does offer the Escalade through its Euro dealers, and Dodge sells the Ram Quad Cab there in tiny numbers - with a full-on 5.7 Hemi, no less. So theoretically, ANYTHING is possible - whether or not the majority of Europeans end up caring is the question. See my post above in which I recommend the Enclave for Euro sales as a similar niche vehicle.

I think we can lay the possibility of a Euro-market Impala to rest, at least in its current form - large front-drive cars tend not to do well in Europe these days. Witness the rather pretty, but ultimately oversized, Peugeot 607 as the most current example. (Now if they wanted to send those to the States, along with the 407...) Keep in mind that even the old (2000-2003) Nissan Maxima, a car revered on this continent for its handling and performance in the upper-midsize class, was roundly panned as a hulking land yacht in Europe for the brief time it was sold there.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0