Followers 0
Flybrian

Next S60 takes backseat to XC60 crossover

5 posts in this topic

Next Up for Volvo: Production XC60
S60 takes a back seat while compact crossover gets nod
Posted Image
by Marty Padgett | Link to Original Article @ The Car Connection

Volvo's next new vehicle will be a production version of the XC60 concept shown last January at the Detroit auto show.

The new crossover wagon may be introduced at the 2008 Detroit show, while Volvo concentrates its Frankfurt show and Tokyo show exhibits on environmental concepts such as a diesel hybrid.

Development of the XC60 has taken precedence over the companion S60 sedan, a spokesman says, so that Volvo can field a competitor to the BMW X3, the Audi Q5 and the Acura RDX in the important U.S. market. A new S60 will not go on sale until late 2008 at the earliest.

At this week's press launch of the new XC70/V70 wagons, Volvo execs also confirmed that the next S60 would also be spun off from the platform that the S80 inaugurated last year, as the XC70/V70 twins are. Volvo's smaller cars will continue to be developed from the C1 architecture underpinning the C30 hatchback, giving the company a two-architecture strategy for its entire portfolio.

chop off the front of it and it looks very enclave-ish

Do they even really need either of these?

S80 just got updated to fight 5, E, M, GS, 9-5, RL, STS. Next S40 after the refresh recently shown is due to move up in size, to truly fight 3, C, G, IS, 9-3, TL, and BLS(whenever that comes). So S60 has a real identity problem. It can't move up b/c it would overlap S80, and if it doesn't move up, S40 would cannibalize sales because it is more mainstream.

And why does the XC60 need to happen. Sure. The 9-4X, RDX, EX, X3, ML, RX and BRX are all coming along, but if Ford does plan on keeping Land Rover, there is always the LR-2 and Lincoln has the sad looking MDX... I mean MKX. For people who want small lux SUVs.

And I know Volvo has its very own XC90(w/o 3rd row), XC70 and V70 for people who are in that market. Volvo, like Subaru and VW is smart b/c it knows an SUV isnt always necessary, and isnt afraid of selling a wagon.

Both of these seem kinda unnecessary. Frankly, I think the S60 should go and fight CLS, A7, 8 series and the other 4 door coupes, espescially the upcoming VW passat based 4 door coupe.

Wow. I just namechecked every luxury car in the biz!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0