Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The last Monte Carlo was made today

The Last Chevrolet Monte Carlo comes off the line Wednesday, June 20th at 11:00am
Car Plant Auto News
Posted Image

There are special plans for the last two Monte Carlo models. The last model will be placed in the General Motors Heritage Centre, a contemporary meeting facility filled with 100 years of automotive history, located in Sterling Heights, Michigan.

The second to last Monte Carlo production unit will be sent to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to appear at the Brickyard 400 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series race on July 29. All Chevrolet race drivers will sign the car and it will be sent to Charlotte, North Carolina for auction.

---------------

Monte Carlo - A Photo History
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
1st row (l-r): 1970 Monte Carlo | 1972 Monte Carlo | 1974 Monte Carlo | 1976 Monte Carlo | 1979 Monte Carlo
2nd row (l-r): 1983 Monte Carlo SS | 1987 Monte Carlo Aeroback | 1998 Monte Carlo Z34 | 2000 Monte Carlo lineup | 2006 Monte Carlo SS

The Last Chevrolet Lumnia LTZ Coupe comes off the line Wednesday, June 20th at 11:00am

Car Plant Auto News

Posted Image

There are special plans for the last two Lumnia LTZ Coupe models. The last model will be placed in the General Motors Heritage Centre, a contemporary meeting facility filled with 100 years of automotive history, located in Sterling Heights, Michigan.

The second to last Lumnia LTZ Coupe production unit will be sent to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to appear at the Brickyard 400 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series race on July 29. All Chevrolet race drivers will sign the car and it will be sent to Charlotte, North Carolina for auction.

Fixed....

I'm channeling Knightfan here....

Lumnia, eh? Typos aside, it would be more of an Impala coupe for this generation.

As the last of the original personal luxury coupes, its end marks the passing of an era when coupes didn't have to be sporty, expensive, or be convertibles to sell.

That's exactly the problem with the Monte Carlo. It looks like all the boring sedans currently on the road, except with two doors. There's nothing visually appealing about it, and the lack of two extra doors hampers its utility. What assets remain, then?

The Last Chevrolet Monte Carlo comes off the line

*raises eyebrow*

So ... this one was RWD? Interesting.

If not ... and it was indeed FWD like the Luminas (2 and 4 door) have been from 1990 to today ... then this news is over 20 years old....

According to the book _Chevrolet: The Complete History_ [copyright 1996 by Publications International LTD], on page 348: "With the new Lumina coupe and sedan effectively replacing their Celebrity counterparts...." And, on page 359: "Taking the place of the aging Celebrity sedan was the Lumina sedan ... a coupe version followed in the fall."

Also, the Lumina shared types (Eurosport), dashboards (flat/horizontal), tail lights (3 square on each side, across the back panel, more or less) and FWD with the Celebrity.....

The Lumina coupe was redubbed "monte carlo" in 1995 ... with the Lumina sedan getting the "impala" monicker, starting in 2000.

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Who do you think you’re talkin’ to?" ... Lee Roy Parnell ... 'What Kind Of Fool Do You Think I Am?'

Sad to see it go. I actually liked the last 2000-on Monte Carlos (i was apparently in the minority, but whatever.)

The Saab 9-7X won't be missed, in fact, I hadn't even realized it was still made. The Monte Carlo, as far as I'm concerned, will be.

It's died before. the Accord has a two door variant and so will the next gen. The new Altima that just came out also has a coupe. The market remains. I think this will just be another break in the line until maybe an Epsilon II (oh, I mean Global Midsized Vehicle Architecture) Monte.

I've never understood the whole "Monte Carlos can only be rear wheel drive" thing. A hundred other marques switched driving wheels in the 80's/90's, what makes the Monte switch so sacreligeous? The Riviera made the switch in 79 and it'd been around just as long as the Monte was in 86. Is our current Impala not an Impala either?

Disgusting! GM has squandered another good old nameplate and let it wither and die needlessly. If they kept this car up to date and didn't cheapen the hell out of it I think it would have done much better. I know plenty of people that would buy a 2 door coupe if it was a modern interpretation with quality features and interior.

The title should read: Another good mid size car and name are being taken away from us again as GM scrambles to try and figure out what they are doing!

Disgusting! GM has squandered another good old nameplate and let it wither and die needlessly. If they kept this car up to date and didn't cheapen the hell out of it I think it would have done much better. I know plenty of people that would buy a 2 door coupe if it was a modern interpretation with quality features and interior.

The title should read: Another good mid size car and name are being taken away from us again as GM scrambles to try and figure out what they are doing!

Ahh, don't worry maybe Chevrolet will start using the Pontiac naming convention, but instead of using G5, G6, G8, etc, they can use C for Chevrolet. Coming to a Chevy showroom near you, the 2009 Chevrolet model lineup the all new, C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6! These are high quality names with lots of heritage behind them. :P

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I don't know about anyone else, but I personally like Big Coupes. Now what is a 28 year old grown man supposed to drive. And hell no, I don't want that girlish small Accord coupe. The Monte wasn't the best performing, but it had so much potential. It should have been rwd and had a V8 small block in it. It should have been (from an engineered and good ol balls and brute force of GM rwd fun' stand point)what the 94-96 Impala SS was during its small stretch, but in coupe form.( The last generation with the new front was a looker in my opinion, but that means nothing if it doesn't perform. I own a Buick Riviera and since this is the end of the personal luxury coupe in America - I guess I won't be buying an american car anytime soon, I might as well hope I hit the lottery or the price comes down on the Mercedes Benz CL. Now thats a personal luxury coupe at its finest with nothing american to compete with in any price bracket. The US is missing a market that still enjoy big coupes, we just want performance to back up good looks also.

What a shame.

I guess I won't be buying an american car anytime soon, I might as well hope I hit the lottery or the price comes down on the Mercedes Benz CL. Now thats a personal luxury coupe at its finest with nothing american to compete with in any price bracket. The US is missing a market that still enjoy big coupes, we just want performance to back up good looks also.

I have 3 little letters for you:

CTC

It's coming...

i thought they looked good... eh. so how much production does this take out of Oshawa? ~40k a year? i bet the lacrosse super will take some of that production back.... but only a little. i do think that this is the first step, and the next ones to zeta need to happen faster

As much as I like the Monte.....it's about damn time! :rolleyes:

It has reeked like the Cavalier for at least a few years now (Left to rot on vine-last real update?)

Deep discounts can't move these things off the lot.

Heck, some dealerships still have 2005s on the new car lots..... <_<

I wouldn't be surprised if MC's rebates almost make it Cavalier cheap (11-13 grand)

Sadly, like the Cavalier-I don't think this name is coming back...it just got too badly beaten up this time around.....

I will still miss the MCs though. :thumbsup:

I will miss this car and have seen many 2006-2007 models in my area pop up recently. Lots of them red, black or white SS's. They were actually a pretty good car, I know a little past the experation date, but they looked good and I love the small block V8 for the last two years. Someday they will become a collectors dream. I wish they would have done a white/orange special edition SS model at the end. Maybe they figured it was better to let it die softly. I also loved the rear end on them. Someday I might own an LS4 SS. Sad to see them go!

And the world gives a big, solid, 'Meh' .

It's just an Impala, minus two-doors. The last Monte was built on December 12, 1987.

I agree, the last good and cool Monte was the 1986 or 1987 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe.

Legend: RPO=option code; WB=wheelbase; CW=curbwieght; BP=base price; PR=production run

1986: Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe V8 RPO: Z37/Z65 WB: 108.0 CW: 3,440 BP: $14,191 PR: 200

1987: Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe V8 RPO: Z37/Z16 WB: 108.0 CW: 3,526 BP: $14,838 PR: 6,052

Either model was standard with the 305cid H.O. standard w/SS models TYPE: V8 BxS: 3.74x3.48 BHP: 180

That body Style I just loved. Course if we want to go to the True Muscle world, then you have the following:

1970 Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo hardtop coupe RPO: 13857 WB: 116.0" CW: 3460 lbs BP: $3,123 PR: 130,657 includes 3,823 with the SS454 package

Engines

350cid standard TYPE: V8 BxS: 4.00x3.48 BHP: 250

350cid optional TYPE: V8 BxS: 4.00x3.48 BHP: 300

400cid optional TYPE: V8 BxS: 4.12x3.75 BHP: 265

400cid optional TYPE: V8 BxS: 4.12x3.75 BHP: 330

454cid optional (standard w/SS454 package) TYPE: V8 BxS: 4.25x4.00 BHP: 360

1971 Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo hardtop coupe RPO: 13857 WB: 116.0" CW: 3,488 lbs BP: $3,416 2 Door Sport Coupe PR = 126,681

Engines

350cid standard TYPE: V8 BxS: 4.00x3.48 BHP: 245

350cid optional TYPE: V8 BxS: 4.00x3.48 BHP: 270

402cid optional Chevrolet still referred to this engine as a 396, even though actual displacement was indeed 402.0 cubic inches TYPE: V8 BxS: 4.13x3.76 BHP: 300

454cid optional (standard w/SS454 package) TYPE: V8 BxS: 4.25x4.00 BHP: 365

454cid optional TYPE: V8 BxS: 4.25x4.00 BHP: 425

These bad boy's were amazing Auto's :D

Love my Monte :pokeowned:

Edited by dfelt

I don't know about anyone else, but I personally like Big Coupes. Now what is a 28 year old grown man supposed to drive. And hell no, I don't want that girlish small Accord coupe. The Monte wasn't the best performing, but it had so much potential. It should have been rwd and had a V8 small block in it. It should have been (from an engineered and good ol balls and brute force of GM rwd fun' stand point)what the 94-96 Impala SS was during its small stretch, but in coupe form.( The last generation with the new front was a looker in my opinion, but that means nothing if it doesn't perform. I own a Buick Riviera and since this is the end of the personal luxury coupe in America - I guess I won't be buying an american car anytime soon, I might as well hope I hit the lottery or the price comes down on the Mercedes Benz CL. Now thats a personal luxury coupe at its finest with nothing american to compete with in any price bracket. The US is missing a market that still enjoy big coupes, we just want performance to back up good looks also.

What a shame.

Hang in there, I think GM will have a coupe or two for you soon.

I'm in the minority too...I did like the looks of the Monte even though it could have been better. SS models looked good, IMO. I hated the redesign in '06 originally but it has grown on me. It just kills me what GM did with the Monte, Cutlass, Regal, and Grand Prix...all once great cars that were just left to rot / go FWD / go on rental lots / or get decontented the hell out of. If GM was still making an Oldsmobile Cutlass coupe, that would be THE car I would be buying when I graduate in 11 months. I would buy it over a Mustang and a number of other cars I have been lusting over. But Olds is dead, the personal coupes are dead...pretty much the cars I loved most from GM are dead. Monte Carlos were very popular in my high school, old and new...they were still decently competitive in the 90s. But after Ford killed its big coupes, GM just let the Monte rot away...what a shame.

I loved my 1970 Monte, it was not a fast car or great handling car but a good looking and very reliable car.

I liked the 80's SS cars but it was a shame they never had a stock engine that ever lived up to the looks.

As for the rest I was somewhat indifferent to them. I did not hate them but just never was drawn to want to own any of them. I was always more a Pontiac or Chevelle guy.

As sales have shown their time has come and gone. It is always sad to see any long running name plate leave but it is even more sad to see one waste away with poor sales and over stay it's welcome. The Monte deserves better than a tarnished image of a slow seller.

It was not just the Monte but all coupes outside the Mustang have gone on to the dealer lot in the sky.

Just remember we may be losing an old name plate but we will get a car that will help bolster Chevys sales better than the present car. There is always some good in every bad.

Better to lose a slow selling name vs Chevy not selling a new model that will garner more sales and protect Chevys place in the industry.

Monte RIP may you never be forgotten.

Edited by hyperv6

Well said! GM seems too busy "reinventing" its brand/model image! What a shame--all this name recognition wasted--and the loss of but another nicely sized Coupe. I hear the sucking sound of more dollars going across the Ocean as many of the hold-out loyalists throw-in the towel and purchase imports! GM just doesn't get it!

I've never understood the whole "Monte Carlos can only be rear wheel drive" thing. A hundred other marques switched driving wheels in the 80's/90's

What's the point? I, frankly, don't care about any other cars...sorry.

Chevrolet/GM has made several claims about FWD ... which simply are not true.

1 ... cost. If, according to GM, FWD cars are less costly to produce, why is a current Lumina (2 door "monte carlo" or 4 door "impala") MORE in some cases than an equivalent RWD Dodge Charger? Rhetorical question, obviously, because people will point out features, etc. But, according to Chevrolet/GM, FWD is _ALWAYS_ less costly to produce ... they didn't specify differences between options, etc.

2 ... winter driving. If FWD is the ONLY way to get around in winter (which, in the late 1980s/early 1990s ALL manufacturers told people), then why have I NEVER had an accident/collision/single car spin out/skidding off the road in my RWD Monte Carlos in the winter? I drive my current '87 MC LS in winter ... and I have driven my '79 MC Landau in winter, along with my former '88 MC LS in winter ... all of them, shockingly enough, RWD.

Oh, and for those of you who tell me I should experience FWD so I know what I'm talking about ... I did, very sadly enough, get bilked out of tons of money:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/00monte.html

I did ... and STILL DO ... like the body styles of the 1995-current Luminas/"monte carlos". But, they need RWD, the bodylines, the MC emblem, etc.

"Never compromise what's right" ... Aaron Tippin ... 'You've Got To Stand For Something (Or You'll Fall For Anything)'

Well said! GM seems too busy "reinventing" its brand/model image! What a shame--all this name recognition wasted--and the loss of but another nicely sized Coupe. I hear the sucking sound of more dollars going across the Ocean as many of the hold-out loyalists throw-in the towel and purchase imports! GM just doesn't get it!

Yes, loyalists are the only real GM fans but there is another issue. Loyalists did not keep Oldsmobile alive, keep the Camaro from being discontinued, keep the GTO afloat nor did the loyalist keep GM from almost sliding into bankruptcy.

The Monty was a car that only the loyalists loved. But it did not sell enough to justify it's production costs.

GM has to gain new buyers and not only rely on the ever shrinking group of "Buy GM or nothing" crowd.

1 ... cost. If, according to GM, FWD cars are less costly to produce, why is a current Lumina (2 door "monte carlo" or 4 door "impala") MORE in some cases than an equivalent RWD Dodge Charger? Rhetorical question, obviously, because people will point out features, etc. But, according to Chevrolet/GM, FWD is _ALWAYS_ less costly to produce ... they didn't specify differences between options, etc.

Nearly always. There are less parts, the rear suspension can be simpler <IRS v. IRS or Twist beam v. Live axle>. There are packaging efficiencies that come with being able to have the entire powertrain in a 3' x 3' x 3' box which means less design time.

2 ... winter driving. If FWD is the ONLY way to get around in winter (which, in the late 1980s/early 1990s ALL manufacturers told people), then why have I NEVER had an accident/collision/single car spin out/skidding off the road in my RWD Monte Carlos in the winter? I drive my current '87 MC LS in winter ... and I have driven my '79 MC Landau in winter, along with my former '88 MC LS in winter ... all of them, shockingly enough, RWD.

In the hands of a skilled and experienced driver, FWD and RWD can be equal in poor traction conditions. However, 97% of drivers aren't skilled enough to know what to do in poor traction situations. The best evidence I have of this is the multitudes of 4x4 SUVs I see spun off the road in the winter here in Pittsburgh. If they can't keep it on the road in a 4x4... which generally requires the least amount of skill, I doubt they'll be able to do it in a FWD or RWD car. In terms of driving skill required, the order of skill from the least to greatest is AWD < 4WD < FWD < RWD.

I'm always amused by the people who say "I'll be fine in the snow, I have <AWD, 4WD>!" as if that means that other cars don't have 4 wheel brakes.........

I have no problem with a FWD Monte Carlo... I've always viewed them as a budget Toronado/Riviera/Eldorado.

Nearly always.

Ah, yes, that key extra word "nearly". Except, in all the stories I've seen/read/heard, GM hasn't used the word "nearly". Yet, you can pick up a Ford Mustang for less than $20,000 ... not so with the "impala" and "monte carlo".....

In the hands of a skilled and experienced driver, FWD and RWD can be equal in poor traction conditions. However, 97% of drivers aren't skilled enough to know what to do in poor traction situations. The best evidence I have of this is the multitudes of 4x4 SUVs I see spun off the road in the winter here in Pittsburgh. If they can't keep it on the road in a 4x4... which generally requires the least amount of skill, I doubt they'll be able to do it in a FWD or RWD car. In terms of driving skill required, the order of skill from the least to greatest is AWD < 4WD < FWD < RWD.

The ironic thing in all of this ... most people have been lulled into a false sense of security with their AWD/4WD/FWD vehicles ... by the automakers, no less. I cringe everytime I see a post or hear someone say: "RWD cannot be used in winter because (fill in the blank)...." I always like to ask, "So, what did people do in the '60s and '70s ... walk everywhere in winter?"

*shrugs*

"Confusing what is real" ... Linkin Park ... 'Crawling'

Squandered potential, IMO. GM could have done so much more with this car than they actually did. I really hate to see it go, even the wrong-wheel drive versions.

I agree. I think that a few awkward things in the car could have been designed out or designed differently with the stroke of a pen and it might have been a little more successful. I like the Monte Carlo and am saddened by the closing of this chapter.

Interesting to think that every last one of the lower 4 GM divisions had a rear drive coupe in the 80s that sold like hot cakes yet the market no longer has room for even one model.

Yes, there are plenty 2006 and 2007 Montes still on the lots. The thing is that most of the colors and trims are not good. Charcoal with a grey interior, wheel covers and no option package doesn't cut it, even at $ 19,999.

Posted Image

(taken at the Carlisle Fairgrounds All-GM Show on 6/23/07)

My parents had a '95 Monte Carlo LS that was pretty nice, and my dad kept it for 10 years. I wasn't too crazy about the M/C when it came out in 2000, and it was due to the headlight design mainly. The 2006 redesign caught my attention, but having a family with a 22-old month toddler means a 4-door is a necessity. I will miss the 2006-2007 Monte Carlo SS in particular, as I thought it was the best looking of the line.

• 3 weeks later...

*raises eyebrow*

So ... this one was RWD? Interesting.

If not ... and it was indeed FWD like the Luminas (2 and 4 door) have been from 1990 to today ... then this news is over 20 years old....

According to the book _Chevrolet: The Complete History_ [copyright 1996 by Publications International LTD], on page 348: "With the new Lumina coupe and sedan effectively replacing their Celebrity counterparts...." And, on page 359: "Taking the place of the aging Celebrity sedan was the Lumina sedan ... a coupe version followed in the fall."

Also, the Lumina shared types (Eurosport), dashboards (flat/horizontal), tail lights (3 square on each side, across the back panel, more or less) and FWD with the Celebrity.....

The Lumina coupe was redubbed "monte carlo" in 1995 ... with the Lumina sedan getting the "impala" monicker, starting in 2000.

OK, OK....

Let's really look at this from a rational perspective.

Can we all not act like the Monte Carlo was akin to a Riviera or Thunderbird?

All Montes followed the same formula: They were based on whatever GM's intermediate at the time was.

From 1970 up until they killed the nameplate in '88, they were based on a stretched A-body frame (called a G-body). And the car honestly didn't look that different from the A-body it came from.

When the intermediate became the W-body, they brought back the nameplate for the 2-door from 1995-2007.

Again, ain't like these cars had a chassis all to themselves. All Montes were real Montes. And the next one that follows the same formula will be a real one, regardless of drive wheels.

OK, OK....

All Montes followed the same formula: They were based on whatever GM's intermediate at the time was.

From 1970 up until they killed the nameplate in '88, they were based on a stretched A-body frame (called a G-body). And the car honestly didn't look that different from the A-body it came from.

When the intermediate became the W-body, they brought back the nameplate for the 2-door from 1995-2007.

Again, ain't like these cars had a chassis all to themselves. All Montes were real Montes. And the next one that follows the same formula will be a real one, regardless of drive wheels.

Hmmmm, I like your thought process.

I don't know about anyone else, but I personally like Big Coupes. Now what is a 28 year old grown man supposed to drive. And hell no, I don't want that girlish small Accord coupe.

If you haven't noticed the Accord coupe has gotten kinda big the past 9 years.

That being said, it's still not special. And while the MC nay have been no Riviera or Thunderbird, the Accord coupe isn't even that much, that's little more than a Chevelle (analogously, folks, slow down)

I own a Buick Riviera and since this is the end of the personal luxury coupe in America - I guess I won't be buying an american car anytime soon, I might as well hope I hit the lottery or the price comes down on the Mercedes Benz CL. Now thats a personal luxury coupe at its finest with nothing american to compete with in any price bracket. The US is missing a market that still enjoy big coupes, we just want performance to back up good looks also.

We're stuck on stupid with sedans and SUVs these days.

Coupes (wehter real coupes or two-door sedans), hatches, wagons, and vans are not getting the attention they deserve.

OK, OK....

I could go with that...

Hmmmm, I like your thought process.

So ... then ... why isn't the G8 a Pontiac? I seem to recall in another thread you didn't seem to accept the G8 as a Pontiac....

I thought so....in this thread:

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...18284&st=40

Let me explain, it rubs Pontiac Purist the wrong way! It's not a Pontiac and that's the problem. I for one will never ever buy this car. I've bought Pontiac for 20 years, with this car coming on board, that 20 year ride is over. I agree with ocnblu, they should have put unique sheetmetal into this car. Remember this is what Lutz said he did with the GTO, rushed it to market, and we all know what happened to that car. GM should have taken the time to do it right, but they didn't and we get another carbon copy of a car they have in OZ. I would have been willing to wait until GM got it right. To bad GM can't seem to learn from their past mistakes, oh well, I guess they are bound to repeat them, this as market share slides further and further DOWN!

*shrugs*

I see a few differences, but it seems basically the same feeling ... rubbing the purists the wrong way ... and, at least for the 1995-1999 2-door Lumina mc, not much completely unique sheetmetal from its Lumina counterpart ...

*pauses*

And, for that matter ... for those of you who don't see the new GTO as a GTO ... why not? And, same for the 2006-present Dodge Charger...?

And, LA ... in that case, why didn't Chevrolet keep the Monte Carlo nameplate going straight through? As far as I know ... the Monte Carlo was the only one of the siblings (Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, Buick Regal, Pontiac Grand Prix) to NOT carry IMMEDIATELY foward to the FWD platform in the 1988-1990 timeframe...........

"Confusing what is real" ... Linkin Park ... 'Crawling'

Edited by knightfan26917

And, LA ... in that case, why didn't Chevrolet keep the Monte Carlo nameplate going straight through? As far as I know ... the Monte Carlo was the only one of the siblings (Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, Buick Regal, Pontiac Grand Prix) to NOT carry IMMEDIATELY foward to the FWD platform in the 1988-1990 timeframe...........

You askin' the wrong guy, I didn't work for GM back in the late 80s.

Though what is clear is that each division sometimes decides to break away from the pack, even if just for a couple of model seasons (Chevy, for whatever reason, never used the front-drive H-body standards chassis either. Pontiac didn't have an H-body 2-door. Olds weirdly starts making an SUV called a Bravada.)

My whole point is Monte Carlo wasn't this man among boys in the GM personal intermediate lineup that you're paionting it out to be. There was arguably more "there" there with the Grand Prix that preceded it in 1969, for instance (but still, same formula: personal luxury coupe with some body panels hammered differently than the intermediate--and before that, standard in the GP's case--it was based on). And again, neither one, or any A/G or W-body, ever had the all put into it of stand-alone coupes like the Riviera, the 6-series or Lincoln's Marks.

As far as nameplates, maybe Chevy simply felt like doing something different for a second, then found it didn't get the same response, so they went with something that would. Hell, Ford just went thru that with the Five Hundred/Taurus fiasco.

My whole point is Monte Carlo wasn't this man among boys in the GM personal intermediate lineup that you're paionting it out to be. There was arguably more "there" there with the Grand Prix that preceded it in 1969, for instance (but still, same formula: personal luxury coupe with some body panels hammered differently than the intermediate--and before that, standard in the GP's case--it was based on). And again, neither one, or any A/G or W-body, ever had the all put into it of stand-alone coupes like the Riviera, the 6-series or Lincoln's Marks.

Hmmm...but I'm not painting it as you think I am ... I've never claimed it is a "stand alone" car ... ever. I have the same problem with the Lumina "impala" and the Toyota Nova of the 1980s, among others. It's just that the MC is my favorite car and nothing is going to change that ... and I'm not about to apologize for my tastes/likes or fact-based opinions.

*shrugs*

Keep in mind, of course, that my experience/opinions is based on when I grew up ... in the mid-70s ... not the late 60s. I know if I had been born earlier, my tastes may've been vastly different. But, they aren't.

But, I sure wish I had been born earlier ... I would've loved to have grown up with all of those previous Impalas, Novas, Chevelles, etc. ... not not been smack dab in the middle of the turn to FWD with the Toyota Nova in the mid-1980s......

"Nope, sorry, nothin'" ... Jo Dee Messina ... 'My Give A Damn's Busted'