GT-R Proto @ Tokyo

Posted Image

NISSAN AT THE TOKYO MOTOR SHOW 2005 – GT-R PROTO
At a glance:

Ultimate driving pleasure

Exterior design close to final

Official launch set for 2007

At the 35th Tokyo Motor Show in 2001, Nissan unveiled the GT-R Concept, confirming that the GT-R legend would be continued into the 21st century. Then, at the 37th Tokyo Motor Show in 2003, Nissan announced the next-generation GT-R would be rolled out in 2007. Now with the launch of the production model just two years away, the development of the new GT-R has moved ahead again with the reveal of the GT-R PROTO.

Ultimate driving pleasure

In essence, driving pleasure means that a car responds faithfully to the driver's wishes and performs precisely as expected. Successive generations of the GT-R have consistently pursued this vision of ultimate driving pleasure. Whether on the road or the racetrack, the GT-R has always represented ultimate performance combined with handling qualities that stay faithful to the driver’s wishes, in all conditions. As a result, the GT-R has built a reputation that extends far beyond just its loyal owner base.

Exterior design: pure performance

The design of the GT-R PROTO expresses pure GT-R heritage, coming from the first model PGC10 (1969) through R34 (1999), in a new and expressive form.

From its original roots as a pure-bred Japanese performance car, the new GT-R will now be a car sold globally, recognising its ability to compete with the very best in the world. For the first time in its history, the new GT-R will be designed as a specific body-style, and not derived from a sedan.

The design language of the GT-R PROTO is expressed by a distinctive body-style that communicates pure performance and functionality. The form of the GT-R PROTO instantly expresses its purpose and potential, but in a way that is unique to this iconic car.

At the front end, the single centre air intake is designed to optimise airflow and to strongly link the identity of the GT-R from R34 to GT-R Concept (2001). Front fenders are uniquely designed through intensive analysis of the airflow around the tyres and the air vent behind the front fender also optimises aerodynamics. The sides of the body are sculptured towards the rear fender, expressing the power and dynamic tension of the car.

The overall shape of the body combines solid and smooth surfaces to achieve the look of a well-trained athlete. The unique C-pillar crease is designed for optimum aerodynamics, reflecting the racing DNA of the GT-R.

The rear of the GT-R PROTO is strong and well defined. The signature four ring-shaped tail lamps provide an immediate visual link to previous GT-R models. Four large-bore exhaust pipes complete the purposeful look, which could only be that of a pure GT-R.

The GT-R PROTO provides for the first time a clear indication of the final design direction for the production model to be launched in 2007, the first all-new GT-R in eight years.

Damn that looks HOT.

[post="23924"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Unfortunately I have to agree, that thing looks mean. I wonder if Mitsubishi will be bad that Nissan stole the "X" nose though. Anyway, it should be interesting to see how it translates into reality and to see what kind of specs it ends up with.

David

• 2 weeks later...
Eh, not perfect but it'll grow on me... I'm liking the styling but I hate the fact that the I6 is dead adn the V6 will take over. :angry: Edited by Sixty8panther

no body realy cares about nissans here,I think.

[post="23893"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Out of all the Japanese companies, Nissan(including Infiniti) is the only one I really care for.

As for the GT-R, it looks good. I'd like to see it in person.

What an eclectic rip off of other designs. It has Chevrolet style round tail lights,  Cadillac stacked headlights and a profile more reminiscent of America than Japan.

Maybe thats why I like it.

The round taillights have been a Skyline tradition for years.

Am I the only one getting more of an Infiniti vibe than Nissan out of this one? The taper towards the rear is remeniscent of the G35 and the four tailights are found on both G35 coupe and sedan. It has a LOT of Saab concept greenhouse in it... I think. Don't like the new Mitsubishi style frowning grill but, the car is overall descent. If it weren't a performance car it would be ugly.

Quad Round tail lights ARE not trademerked by Chevy exclusively.... how about Ferraris & all the exotics like the McLaren F1 that have them... no one is riping anyone off here... the Skyline has had them for several generations. You can not lay claim to these kinds of tail lights any more than you can lay claim to stacked Quad head lamps. And this is coming form a hardcore Chevy guy. BTW. Now the 1970 Mustang & 1970 Barracuda on the other hand borrowed WAY too heavily from the gorgeous 1969 Camaro. From the profile, greenhouse, grille, headlights, RS style cuts in the Mustang's front all the way to corny rippoff color names like Grabber Orange instead of Hugger. :rolleyes:

That is effin gorgeous. WOW, just beautiful profile. The rear has so much Corvette in it, just shows how good the C6 could have gotten had Chevy taken more design risks. The inset tailights are so wonderfully executed. Everything on this car is so "surfaced", the surfaces are so "flat", it's beautiful.

Like this?

http://www.auto-report.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=682

[post="30979"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

yes and no.

I love the concept of bringing back the sweet wonderful and awesome 240sx [my first car], but this design ultimately fails to excite. Go back to the drawing board and pull out something more like the Skyline, Nissan, and you will have a gigantic hit on your hands. Start the price at around 24k for a 200 hp version with low weight of around 3200 lbs (they can accomplish that, even lower!), and price the turbo version no more than 27k with 300 hp, and you would have a HUGE Camaro competitor.

I think what's bothering me is the greenhouse. Change that top line of the window, and all would be good.

As far as "ripping off Chevy lights" goes, no. Skylines have had 4 round taillights for a while.

Posted Image
Posted Image

[post="31066"][/post]

Corvettes have had them even longer. :rolleyes:

THe rear screams Corvette to me. The side profile flairs do as well. Also, the front says Saturn?? To me with the side view Nissan Motors presented. Seems like it's getting harder and harder to tell who did what in todays day and automotive age.

First whats a GT R ?????????? Is that supposed to mean something to me ? :lol:  yarite !  :lol:

Sorry Im an American so , DILLIGAF !

Then with the new imposed tarrif it will be unaffordable in this country  :lol:

[post="31883"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Uh, what? :huh:

Razor: The Skyline has alwasy been a very competetiive 2+2 in the style of old school Gran Turismo cars of Europe. Recently it's become a real supercar... as iof the 80s it got killer performance. The recent GTRs have come standard wiht turbo inline sixes, rear-biased awd adn killer technology. The Skyline GTR is, and always has been as close to a real Musclecar as the Japanese have ever made. It's not a '70 Chevelle LS6 but it's worthy of the Muscle car title. Think of it as a 21st century Buick GNX. ...and I like this new one a lot, it's already growing on me. :D

Sixty8Panther I can not agree more with you. I drove an R32 in College. It was amazing even then. BTW I went to Kobe University! :P My 4 years in Japan got me hooked on the GTR and that baby is amazing. I can not wait for it to come here. :P For those that have never seen it or been around one, do not blow it off as another Ricer car. This car screams MUSCLE!!! THis is the only car I have any respect for out of Japan that fit's big amaericans and eats up the road. Can not wait for it to arrive next year. :P

THe rear screams Corvette to me. The side profile flairs do as well. Also, the front says Saturn?? To me with the side view Nissan Motors presented.

Seems like it's getting harder and harder to tell who did what in todays day and automotive age.

[post="31507"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Rear is Corvette? (I admit the round lights, but the proportions???)

Saturn in front?

Someone has been drinking the GM juice for a little too long Josh... :)

Looks great though, I hope they keep it the same in production.