regfootball

08 Rabbit and Jetta get more std hp

11 posts in this topic

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/070622-1.htm

June 22, 2007

2008 VW Rabbit, Jetta to get horsepower boost

Auburn Hills, Michigan - Volkswagen announced that the 2008 Rabbit and Jetta will receive more horsepower. The standard 2.5-litre inline five-cylinder engine will offer 170 horsepower and 177 lb-ft of torque, up from the current 150 hp and 170 lb-ft.

The company also announced that the Rabbit will receive a new standard tire pressure monitoring system.

that really helps this car, IMHO

Edited by regfootball

beats all the 2.4 - 2.5L 4's out there right?

if only the ecotec had DI. shewt. haha

Oh you have got to be kidding me. Guess who recently bought a Rabbit...

Can't complain about the current power, though, it has excellent acceleration and smooth, powerful torque for such a tiny engine. But an extra 20 hp would always be nice. Crap.

The I5 sounds better than most 4-bangers you'll find in competing cars. It's nice to see a corresponding increase in horsepower (finally) with its larger displacement.

Edited by empowah

Sounds like a good reason to buy a Count Basie A5.

If only they'd change the Rabbit's name back to Golf, and throw on one of those dimpled shifters.

There are probably a bunch of A2 owners salivating for a swap right about now (once a few A5's get crashed, that is)

I'm more impressed with the torque numbers. 170/177 is a nice change from the HOnda/Mazda engines that are all about horsepower and have no torque!

Speaking of VW engines, do they no longer offer a diesel in the Jetta? I was perusing their website today and couldn't find it.

beats all the 2.4 - 2.5L 4's out there right?

if only the ecotec had DI. shewt. haha

Errr, the Ecotec gets 168 in the LaCrosse, 169 in the G6, 173 in the Cobalt and G5, 175 in the Ion and HHR, and 177 in the Solstice and Sky, almost all of which are certified by a third party, unlike the VW engine, which is probably only 170 PS, not real SAE hp (VW of America has yet to grasp the difference between metric and US hp).

Speaking of VW engines, do they no longer offer a diesel in the Jetta? I was perusing their website today and couldn't find it.

They didn't offer one in the '07s, because it couldn't meet emissions requirements, but the '08 TDIs are coming early 2008 and will be 50-state legal. They'll be more powerful, too; horsepower increases to 140, torque is at 236 lb-ft, and as always, you can get it with a 6-spd DSG.

Why so many different ratings on the 2.4-liter ECOTEC I-4's hp? Why not jack them all to 180hp?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room