Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Federal fire probe adds Buicks, Oldsmobiles

8 posts in this topic

Auto briefs

Federal fire probe adds Buicks, Oldsmobiles

General Motors Corp . Buick and Oldsmobile models with superchargers may be at risk for engine fires and have been added to a U.S. probe of Pontiac Grand Prix GTP cars, a safety agency said. The inquiry now covers six other vehicle types with supercharged V6 engines from the 1999 through 2002 model years, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said. Those models are the Buick Park Avenue, Regal and Rivera, Oldsmobile LSS, and Pontiac Bonneville and Grand Prix. NHTSA estimates that the review covers 177,746 cars, spokesman Rae Tyson said. NHTSA's probe also was upgraded to an engineering analysis. Seven in 10 of such inquiries lead to recalls.

source:

http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...326/1148/AUTO01

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Well those seem to be series II motors, my 95 Riviera is a series I, so I guess I'm in the clear ^_^

What are they saying is the cause of this? I have a 99 Regal GS. I would like to know is there a way to find out?

Found this:

Also read something about fuel injector o-rings and fuel rail leaking onto the supercharger..

Drivers of 1999-2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTPs might not want to park their GPs inside their garages after word that NHTSA is investigating those models for engine fires. Grand Prix GTPs are equipped with superchargers, which generate heat as well as HP. Could that be the main culprit? Perhaps, but there are plenty of other added components that differentiate the blown six from the normally aspirated one, too. We'll just have to see how the investigation pans out.

There have been 21 complaints and 16 engine fires since the models were introduced. The fires seem to start about 15 minutes after the car has been parked and turned off. Up to 72,000 vehicles could be affected. If your car becomes another statistic in this GTP flambé mystery, look on the bright side: you get to go car shopping really soon.

[source: Detroit News]

Hey thanks! No fires yet but I am going to see what I can do about avoiding any problem. Or leave it and hope its ok till the G8 comes out, LOL!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0