Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

My friend is getting an Luxury CUV/SUV... HELP!

I have a friend nice lady but somewhat well dingy I would say and she is getting new or slightly used luxury CUV/SUV. She has enlisted my help to help her look and decide upon one. She basically has narrowed it down to four CUV's... I suggested the Lincoln MKX (said no) Caddy SRX (said no) and also the Buick Enclave (said no and it was too big). My friend likes image and the Cadillac nor Buickish/Lincoln image prolly appeal to her. Can't make her buy one.

The options... Given this list what would you guys suggest/buy for yourself if you had too in order...

-2007-2008 Lexus RX-400H AWD

-2007-2008 Lexus RX-350 AWD

-2007-2008 Porsche Cayenne V6 AWD

-2007-2008 Audi Q7 3.6 Quattro

Under or Around 50K no less than 40K she says... No BMW either and talked her out of a Benz...

Here is what I would get out of those and suggesting to here in this order...

1.) Lexus RX-400H AWD *Good Looks/ great Fuel Economy, decent price point, good build quality*

2.) Porshe Cayenne V6 AWD *Its a Porsche, Porsche good looks smooth powertrain and nice off-road*

3.) Lexus RX-350 AWD *Solid CUV and nice styling and good build quality*

4.) Audi Q7 3.6 Quattro *I think its ugly and whimpy with the V6, decent interior tho* (my last choice by far!)

Please help me and my friend and also list why you like which ones and for what reasons in the order you would suggest them. Thanks so much for all your help in advance I know GM/Domestic stuff well not so much this forigen stuff. Please help!

Edited by gm4life

Your friend eliminated 3 of the 4 I'd choose (SRX, X5, Enclave). The only other one I'd want to spend my money on would be an Infiniti FX...what's she think of those? I'm none too fond of the way any of the other choices look, but if I had to buy from that list, I'd go with the Q7.

Edited by DetroitNut90

Ehh, not sure how she got it down to those. Did she actually test drive a bunch of stuff and decide those were the best? A used SRX is definitely the best buy, my dealer had an 07 with 4k miles on it, loaded to the gills for $39k. She's not going to get that value anywhere else.

I can't believe she would pick the Lexus over the BMW, Cadillac, or MB. This must be a prime example of why the RX sells so well; people just assume it's the best because it's a Lexus and never even consider the better offerings.

Nope she has driven all of the following...

SRX- Doesn't like the looks off...

M-Class- Didn't like how it drove...

BMW- Didn't care for the looks...

Hasn't checked an FX yet but doesn't want an Enclave to big and its a BUICK!

Thats how she got her list... I guess so I am suggesting Lexus RX-400H for the gas milage or the Cayenne.

Ehh, not sure how she got it down to those. Did she actually test drive a bunch of stuff and decide those were the best? A used SRX is definitely the best buy, my dealer had an 07 with 4k miles on it, loaded to the gills for $39k. She's not going to get that value anywhere else.

I can't believe she would pick the Lexus over the BMW, Cadillac, or MB. This must be a prime example of why the RX sells so well; people just assume it's the best because it's a Lexus and never even consider the better offerings.

This is the main reason why the perception gap exists. They drive a Lexus no matter what. This will be Toyotas downfall. They are falling into that trap GM and Ford fell into. GM learned it not only has to look good, but perform well and last.

I noticed too Toyota is secretly adding more service areas to their dealership body.

Toyota also is scaling back on the plants here secretly

Toyota is also keeping all its mechanical issues under wraps (i.e. the sludge issue and Tundra issues)

Toyota also is misusing its work force too.

Yet... people blindly buy these cars. In reality, Toyota is no different than Wal Mart. I cannot stand Wal Mart.

If she wants to buy a Toyota, tell her to go ahead...

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Tell her that it is prudent to at least look at the competition <SRX, Enclave, Acadia> even if she doesn't intend to buy it just so that she can make an informed decision.

then... once she sits in the Enclave or SRX, close the doors, lock them, have the lease paper work in the glove box, and tell her she can't come out till she signs.

The Porsche is hideous and only slightly less so since the MCE.

If I were choosing my list would be:

• Cadillac SRX
  • Buick Enclave
  • Lexus RX
  • Audi Q7
I like them all, even the Lexus, but the SRX is by far my favorite, with it's sexy new interior, great performance, good looks, it can probably be had for a good price. Edited by Dodgefan

Personally, if I were in the market for a luxury SUV (and I never will, since I think SUVs are completely unnecessary and their drivers leave much to be desired), my top three would be either a Volkswagen Touareg, a Range Rover, or a Lexus GX. Or even a Land Cruiser.

Since none of those are on the list... :lol:

The Q7 is my first choice. As you already said it, the 3.6 is not the most powerful engine in the world for this SUV. But the design is slick, inside and out.

The RX400h is my second choice. Mainly because I feel that if you *must* spend your money on an SUV, at least spend a little more and get a hybrid.

RX350 is my third choice. As with the hybrid, it's smooth and impeccably built.

I wouldn't recommend the Porsche Cayenne to anyone. I think it's absolutely hideous.

Edited by Hollingsworth

I never thought about an MDX or RDX... I will suggest both. I bet she says I want the Lexus or Porsche she likes the names. And for some reason loves that ugly Audi. I know the RX is a good SUV my aunt has a 2000 RX-300 with 100,000 miles on it and it runs like a top. (Also it drives very nice!)

get new friends.

where DID SHE get this money from?

the nex srx interior is FANTASTIC. it wins comparos. dam.

the MKX is sweet also. try it first, honey.

she has princess syndrome. i have one i (used) to work with. she has a new car picked out for soon, right down to the colors. Either a Lexus or MB.

you can't talk reason with those types. let her blow her money. what she really needs is just something simple like an X3 or LandROver LR3. and put some coin in the bank in case sugar daddy pulls the plug.

http://www.luxurycarcanada.com/features/fe...llac%20SRX%20V8

if she still insists on being a princess after your done with the spanking, tell her fx45.

Edited by regfootball

the cayenne over the Lexus- looks wise, someone above mentioned the RX is benign, it's mostly boring

cayenne is good looking

this would be my list

X5

FX

MB ML

SRX

cayenne

MDX [stunning interior, great third row, fantastic quality]

there is no point to RX for me, except if it was for my sister who just wanted a competent nice car.