Jetta first to get clean VW Diesel

Jetta Gets Clean Diesel TDI in ‘08
Sedan will be the first model with clean diesel engine
Posted Image
Link to Original Article @ TCC

There are more details on the upcoming VW Jetta clean diesel model due in the U.S. next year.

Volkswagen confirms that the Jetta sedan will be the first of the company's vehicles to get its new clean diesel engine in 2008.

The clean-diesel Jetta TDI bows in the fourth quarter of this year. Production will begin in January of 2008 and will go on sale by late spring. The new diesel will be 50-state compliant and will be badged as a TDI.

The engine will be a common-rail 2.0-liter diesel four with 140 horsepower and 235 pound-feet of torque. The engine will use an oxygen after-treatment system and a particulate filter to meet 50-state diesel emission requirements. VW says the new engine's fuel economy and NVH will be significantly improved over the former 1.9-liter diesel engine.

Pricing hasn't been announced but the diesel will be pricier than the gas-engined Jetta. Diesel Jetta sedans and SportWagens will hit California and New England first when they arrive in showrooms by March.

Volkswagen is a diesel pioneer in the U.S. , with more than 800,000 diesel cars sold.

A chick I dated in the early 90's had a diesel Rabbit with 300,000-plus miles on it and it still ran good. The interior was always dirty, she had horses and hauled hay in the back of it. These things are great. A new diesel Rabbit or Jetta would be a very smart buy, imo.

• 4 months later...

i heard that this way delayed now until late 08. anyone else hear that?

i parked next to a 4 door rabbit yesterday. brand new. had custom wheels. sucker was hot. does the rabbit get a diesel too? that would be the ultimate NOS talgia trip. my dad almost got a rabbit diesel when i was a pup

Edited by regfootball

• 2 months later...

update. anyone have new info on this? i was just looking at the jetta sportwagen on the vw website and it says the jetta wagon is available spring 08. is the diesel available then?

67 cubic feet of cargo and an optional fold flat front seat in the jetta sportwagen. add the diesel and it could make road trips REALLY inexpensive.

Edited by regfootball

update. anyone have new info on this? i was just looking at the jetta sportwagen on the vw website and it says the jetta wagon is available spring 08. is the diesel available then?

67 cubic feet of cargo and an optional fold flat front seat in the jetta sportwagen. add the diesel and it could make road trips REALLY inexpensive.

"

At the Chicago Auto Show today Volkswagen spokesman Keith Price confirms that the first new CleanTDI models will be arriving at Volkswagen dealerships in June 2008. Each dealer in United States and Canada will get one example from the initial batch of 1,000 cars.

These first cars will be used to introduce potential customers to the new CleanTDI technology with test drives available throughout the summer. In late August to early September regular volumes of diesel Jettas will go on sale at Volkswagen dealers throughout North America.

The new CleanTDI Jetta will be Volkswagen's first 50-state legal Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions compliant diesel model. In 2006, the last year that a 45-state legal diesel Jetta was available, the diesel comprised 30 percent of Jetta sales nationally even though it was not available in California and four north eastern states.

In November 2008 Volkswagen will begin production of the new Touareg CleanTDI SUV with sales to follow around the end of the year."

If my '07 Rabbit continues to be reliable as its been (22k and no problems, minus the iPod adapter), I'll consider a TDI Rabbit as my next purchase.

Diesel engines are more efficient, have great torque, and get much better gas mileage (wish price per gallon was a little cheaper though). I thoroughly enjoyed driving them while in Europe and I'd prefer one in my next purchase.

Test drove a prev. gen Diesel Rabbit/Golf and almost bought it before I bought the Scion xB.

Thinking this looks very good indeed.

Red, glad to hear your Rabbit has been reliable.

Chris

I would love to get one of these, its just too bad the cost of diesel is through the roof right now. It would be hard to justify the cost of diesel fuel and the extra cost of the TDi option. Diesel right now in my area is $3.80 gal! Yes you would get more miles per tank but it gets a little sketchy when your watching the gas(diesel)pump go up and up and up.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of torque: that's what you get with a high-quality diesel engine. That's why performance enthusiasts are excited about the reemergence of the diesel engine. They're clean too so there's a big plus right there. Just hoping though that they have reliable car parts too.

Edited by that_guy

Lots of torque: that's what you get with a high-quality diesel engine. That's why performance enthusiasts are excited about the reemergence of the diesel engine. They're clean too so there's a big plus right there. Just hoping though that they have reliable car parts too.

Agreed, but your plug sux. Lawl @ teh n00berz. g0 bak 2 noogrndz n00blet.

Edited by YellowJacket894

I'd love to see GM get with the program and offer a CTS diesel, Camaro diesel, etc. here...

• 1 month later...
Volkswagen finishes up Jetta BlueTDI development, on sale this summer

The new, fifty-state legal Jetta BlueTDI is finally done and it's coming soon. At the International Vienna Motor Symposium in Austria, Volkswagen announced that it's completed development on what they are calling the BlueTDI system for their US diesels. Like Mercedes (BlueTec) and BMW (BluePerformance), VW is adopting the Blue moniker for their cleanest, most efficient systems. The Jetta BlueTDI will be the first Tier2 Bin5 compliant diesels that doesn't have to use a urea injection system to meet the new NOx emissions standard. VW started with the updated 2.0L TDI that was launched in the European Tiguan last fall. Individual cylinder pressure sensors were added that allow the engine management system to optimize the fuel injection pulses to keep combustion temperatures down. That helped VW eliminate 60-percent of the NOx emissions before you even get to the exhaust stream. The exhaust gas flowing from the 2.0L engine are low enough that VW was able to use a lean NOx trap to convert the remaining NOx to nitrogen and water. However, the larger 3.0L V-6 TDI that is coming in the Touareg and Audi Q7 at the end of the year will have to use urea injection. In addition to the NOx trap, there is a particulate filter to eliminate the soot often associated with diesel engines. The new Jetta will be able to get up to 60mpg when cruising on the highway, a boost of 12-percent over the last US-market Jetta TDI from 2006. The Jetta BlueTDI should be the first of the new round of diesels to come to market when it arrives later this summer. The first batch of cars should actually start arriving at US dealers in June, where they will be available for test drives through the summer before going on sale in September.

nox-system-graphic-450.jpg

[source: Autoblog]

Would VW make up their mind already?! First it was this spring, then this summer, and then this fall, and now back to this summer. But, holy crap up to 60mpg on the freeway sign me up!! Oh wait diesel prices are off the charts too, maybe I will hold off.

Would VW make up their mind already?! First it was this spring, then this summer, and then this fall, and now back to this summer. But, holy crap up to 60mpg on the freeway sign me up!! Oh wait diesel prices are off the charts too, maybe I will hold off.

Uh.....you need to wake up to today's diesels......

This VW diesel will be quick......strong and torquey........I think what was it? 140-ish horsepower, but a $h!load of torque. No Prius (or Civic Hybrid) will be able to keep up with it.

if diesel wasn't so pricey i would give serious thought to a jetta sportwagen diesel as my next car. the tiguan is cool too. chick car, but cool.

Yeah it's wierd....

In Europe, diesel is priced about the same as premium-octane gas (what we would consider 91-octane.)

For that price, I could easily justify driving a diesel......but when you start getting more expensive than even 91-octane, it makes it tougher to justify.

However, at least diesels offer something that hybrids typically do not......performance and driving enjoyment.....

Uh.....you need to wake up to today's diesels......

This VW diesel will be quick......strong and torquey........I think what was it? 140-ish horsepower, but a $h!load of torque. No Prius (or Civic Hybrid) will be able to keep up with it.

Uh I'm fully awake about diesels, because I work on diesels...thank you very much.

Edited by RJB

VW Says There's "No Timetable" for Passat R36's U.S. Debut - but Jetta SportWagen's on the Way

Date posted: 04-29-2008

STORY TOOLS

Print thisPrint this Save thisSave this Digg this storyDigg this!

Email thisEmail this Most PopularMost popular del.icio.usdel.icio.us

AUBURN HILLS, Michigan — Volkswagen of America confirmed for Inside Line on Tuesday that there is "no specific timetable" for a U.S. launch of the new Passat R36. But the German automaker has new information for buyers who want to get in line for the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen variants.

Volkswagen of America spokesman Keith Price is now able to ballpark U.S. volume allotments on the '09 Jetta SportWagen. "We expect to sell 14,000-15,000 Jetta SportWagens in the U.S.," he said. "About half will be diesel." He said the gas-powered Jetta SportWagen will go on sale at the end of July, starting at approximately $19,000. The clean diesel-powered Jetta SportWagen is slated to hit showrooms here at the end of August, starting at approximately $22,000. Price said formal pricing on the SportWagen will be announced later this summer.

"We are expecting the diesel Jetta SportWagen to be snapped up," Price said. "We are encouraging people to speak with their individual dealers. An order can be put in now."

Price said that while EPA fuel economy numbers on the Jetta SportWagen diesel have not yet been announced, VW is now saying that the car has the "potential" to return 40 mpg in city driving and 50 mpg on the highway. The 2009 Jetta will be the first U.S. model to use VW's new Blue TDI "clean" diesel. The 2009 Jetta TDI features a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder common-rail diesel rated at 138 horsepower and 236 pound-feet of torque.

In the meantime, the new Passat R36, the most powerful Passat ever built, has arrived in European showrooms priced at the equivalent of $61,150 for the sedan variant and $63,440 for the wagon variant. The R36's 3.6-liter V6 churns out 296 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. The engine is linked to a six-speed DSG gearbox. VW said optional 19-inch wheels will be offered at a later date.

What this means to you: VW of America offers some key information for you as you make your summer plans to get in line for the Jetta SportWagen. — Anita Lienert, Correspondent

In the meantime, the new Passat R36, the most powerful Passat ever built, has arrived in European showrooms priced at the equivalent of $61,150 for the sedan variant and $63,440 for the wagon variant. The R36's 3.6-liter V6 churns out 296 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. The engine is linked to a six-speed DSG gearbox. VW said optional 19-inch wheels will be offered at a later date.

Just read about this on Autoblog. We already get the 3.6 with 280/265... but not the DSG. Still, I doubt it'd make sense to bring it here unless they reworked the lineup and put the 3.2 in the Passat like they do in Europe.

Off-topic: O.C., I've only seen 91-octane gas once in my life. Everywhere else I've gone, it's been 93.

if the lease price on the jetta SW diesel was good, the total cost solution could be good for that car despite the higher price of diesel.

jetta wagon is only 6 cu ft shy of the cargo capacity of the passat wagon and larger than many cute utes or even some other crossovers.

Edited by regfootball

Tiguan pricing released... car will be at dealers by the end of May.

2.0T 200 HP 6-speed automatic S 5N17V1 $24,300

2.0T 200 HP 6-speed automatic SE 5N18V1 $26,925

2.0T 200 HP 6-speed automatic 4XMOTION SE 4Motion 5N18V3 $28,875

2.0T 200 HP 6-speed automatic SEL 5N19V1 $30,990

2.0T 200 HP 6-speed automatic 4XMOTION SEL 4Motion 5N19V3 $32,940

S: Includes: 16" San Diego alloy wheels with 215/65 R16 All-Season tires; ESP, ASR, ABS with front and rear disc brakes, TPMS; 2-DIN 8-speaker sound system with MP3 compatible in-dash CD player with center console Aux-in; Cloth interior; Climatic manual climate control; Cruise control; Manual 8-way adjustable drivers' and passengers' front seats with lumbar; Fold-flat passenger seat; Split-folding 60-40 rear seat; (4) 12V power outlets; Head curtain airbags; Front and front side thorax airbags.

SE: Includes 2.0T S features plus: 17" Los Angeles alloy wheels with 235/55 R 17 All-Season tires; Fog lights; Silver roof rack; Chrome window surrounds and grille; Privacy glass; Upgraded interior cloth and trim; Cold weather package (heatable seats and heated washer nozzles); Leather wrapped shift-knob and Multi-function steering wheel; Big roof console; 2-DIN 8-speaker sound system with MP3 compatible in-dash 6-CD changer with center console aux-in; Sirius ™ Satellite Radio; Comfort 8-way partial power drivers' seat; Multi-function trip computer.

SEL: Includes 2.0T SE features plus: 18" New York alloy wheels with Pirelli 235/50 R 18 All-season tires; Bi-Xenon headlamps with AFS; Premium Dynaudio ™ sound system; 12-way power drivers' seat with Memory Function (incl. side mirrors); Dual-zone Climatronic; Leather seating surfaces; Rain-sensing windshield wipers; Self-dimming rearview mirror; Adjustable ambient floor-mounted lighting; Automatic headlamps with coming / leaving home feature.

Options:

Rear side airbags $350

Factory installed hitch $320

17" alloys (S only) $400

18" alloys (SE only) $400

Panoramic sunroof $1,300

Nav with MDI $1,950

Rubber mats and trunk liner $199

Splash guards $169

Late availability:

2.0T 200 HP 6-speed manual S - $23,225

The pricing is comparable to a V6 powered RAV4. I'd rather get a Jetta SportWagen TDI or 2.0T for less dough and with better fuel economy.

a bit more than i hoped. privacy glass should be standard on all.

i think it will still be popular....it actually will make the jetta sportwagen seem well priced in comparison.

i wish the tiguan had a bit more cargo capacity.

the seating is awesome, very upright and spacious and firm.

considering you get the turbo, maybe its not so bad. wish it had diesel. a 40 mpg tiguan would be a good wife's car, because this thing will be a MAJOR chickwagon.

Just read about this on Autoblog. We already get the 3.6 with 280/265... but not the DSG. Still, I doubt it'd make sense to bring it here unless they reworked the lineup and put the 3.2 in the Passat like they do in Europe.

Off-topic: O.C., I've only seen 91-octane gas once in my life. Everywhere else I've gone, it's been 93.

I'm not sure about other states....maybe it's a CA thing....but I seem to remember reading that 91 is pretty comparable to 93....it's something about the mix.....what they put in the gas here.

But from what I understand, 91 is used as the accepted octane rating for "premium" gas......so if a manufacturer's car requires "premium".....that manufacturer has based their recommendation on 91-octane.

Tiguan pricing released... car will be at dealers by the end of May.

2.0T 200 HP 6-speed automatic S 5N17V1 $24,300

2.0T 200 HP 6-speed automatic SE 5N18V1 $26,925

2.0T 200 HP 6-speed automatic 4XMOTION SE 4Motion 5N18V3 $28,875

2.0T 200 HP 6-speed automatic SEL 5N19V1 $30,990

2.0T 200 HP 6-speed automatic 4XMOTION SEL 4Motion 5N19V3 $32,940

S: Includes: 16" San Diego alloy wheels with 215/65 R16 All-Season tires; ESP, ASR, ABS with front and rear disc brakes, TPMS; 2-DIN 8-speaker sound system with MP3 compatible in-dash CD player with center console Aux-in; Cloth interior; Climatic manual climate control; Cruise control; Manual 8-way adjustable drivers' and passengers' front seats with lumbar; Fold-flat passenger seat; Split-folding 60-40 rear seat; (4) 12V power outlets; Head curtain airbags; Front and front side thorax airbags.

SE: Includes 2.0T S features plus: 17" Los Angeles alloy wheels with 235/55 R 17 All-Season tires; Fog lights; Silver roof rack; Chrome window surrounds and grille; Privacy glass; Upgraded interior cloth and trim; Cold weather package (heatable seats and heated washer nozzles); Leather wrapped shift-knob and Multi-function steering wheel; Big roof console; 2-DIN 8-speaker sound system with MP3 compatible in-dash 6-CD changer with center console aux-in; Sirius ™ Satellite Radio; Comfort 8-way partial power drivers' seat; Multi-function trip computer.

SEL: Includes 2.0T SE features plus: 18" New York alloy wheels with Pirelli 235/50 R 18 All-season tires; Bi-Xenon headlamps with AFS; Premium Dynaudio ™ sound system; 12-way power drivers' seat with Memory Function (incl. side mirrors); Dual-zone Climatronic; Leather seating surfaces; Rain-sensing windshield wipers; Self-dimming rearview mirror; Adjustable ambient floor-mounted lighting; Automatic headlamps with coming / leaving home feature.

Options:

Rear side airbags $350

Factory installed hitch $320

17" alloys (S only) $400

18" alloys (SE only) $400

Panoramic sunroof $1,300

Nav with MDI $1,950

Rubber mats and trunk liner $199

Splash guards $169

Late availability:

2.0T 200 HP 6-speed manual S - $23,225

The pricing is comparable to a V6 powered RAV4. I'd rather get a Jetta SportWagen TDI or 2.0T for less dough and with better fuel economy.

Not bad.....I've always thought I'd rather pay just a bit more for something German/European (VW, Volvo, SAAB, Audi etc.) than for something (generic) Japanese.......there's no question I'd get this before the V6 RAV4 (although that's a rocket-ship) or V6 Outlander, etc., and I'd get this over a Murano also in a heartbeat (although I think the Murano is bigger.) I'd get this over a Rogue too....

I'm not sure about other states....maybe it's a CA thing....but I seem to remember reading that 91 is pretty comparable to 93....it's something about the mix.....what they put in the gas here.

But from what I understand, 91 is used as the accepted octane rating for "premium" gas......so if a manufacturer's car requires "premium".....that manufacturer has based their recommendation on 91-octane.

I had 91 in Colorado...85, 87, 91. Not sure if they have it here in Arizona (I'm using 87).