Just saw a Pursuit Charger

I was driving along the other day, and I noticed that the Calgary Police Service is replacing their Impalas, and to a smaller extent, their Crown Vics with Dodge Chargers... from what I saw, it looked real mean with a reinforced bumper, steel wheels and a blacked out grille (Sorry, no pics). This has led me to ask the question- is Dodge winning back favour in the police market... How have these cars caught on elsewhere?

I've seen a few Chargers and Magnums in police guise. I would think that the Charger would replace the Impalas (what reason could you possibly have for an FWD Impala over a RWD Charger with better engine choices and an extra gear in the trans?). I don't see them totally replacing Crown Vic because those things are tanks, and the BOF architecture will take abuse better I would think. I'd expect more V8 Charger to join the highway patrol forces too.

My little hometown of 5,000 people has a Charger as kind of the "show car" for parades and stuff. Most of the fleet is still Crown Vics and Impalas, though.

Iowa Highway Patrol has traditionally used soley Crown Vics, but about a month ago I was driving on I-80 and saw a IHP Charger in white (which is odd, because they are usually brown or black). It really threw me off because it didn't have a lightbar either...just the badge on the side. Good thing I was only doing 5 over!

Does anyone else's state patrol wear goofy hats?

Posted Image

My little hometown of 5,000 people has a Charger as kind of the "show car" for parades and stuff. Most of the fleet is still Crown Vics and Impalas, though.

Iowa Highway Patrol has traditionally used soley Crown Vics, but about a month ago I was driving on I-80 and saw a IHP Charger in white (which is odd, because they are usually brown or black). It really threw me off because it didn't have a lightbar either...just the badge on the side. Good thing I was only doing 5 over!

Posted Image

Our state patrol wears cowboy hats.

Edited by deftonesfan867

Posted Image

Goofy hats? You be the judge!

Posted Image

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I'm told a small town just west of Elgin has a new police car ... Dodge Charger.

But, I haven't seen it yet. Probably a good thing, tho ... he he ;).

Sure am glad they are using the Chargers as police cars now.

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Hood slidin' like Bo Duke"...Dierks Bently...'What Was I Thinking?'

If I ever get pulled over...I want it to be by a Charger! :lol:

*nods*

Me, too.

Which reminds me ... still haven't gotten the older 4 MCs on the road yet this year ... and it is almost July 1. Arg.

"I'm dying inside" ... The Tony Rich Project ... 'Nobody Knows'

*nods*

Me, too.

Which reminds me ... still haven't gotten the older 4 MCs on the road yet this year ... and it is almost July 1. Arg.

"I'm dying inside" ... The Tony Rich Project ... 'Nobody Knows'

30 lashings with a wet noodle for you! Shame, shame! :P

30 lashings with a wet noodle for you! Shame, shame! :P

Heh...

*shrugs*

Even thinking it may be time to sell 'em.....guess we'll see.

"How much longer will they be around?" ... Don Williams ... 'Old Coyote Town'

DodgeFan got it right.

The Mass State Troopers have gotten a few Chargers... the Trooper

who lives 1/8 of a mile away from me was the first in the state to

get a HEMI Charger. Also my buddy Tall Paul's girlfriend's parents

are BOTH troopers.

And everyone agrees: the unibody Charger may be much better

suited for high speed pursuits but it can not hold up to the Body On

Frame Crown Vic/Iterceptor in terms of durability.

Over here, NYPD has a couple of Chargers....the one I see the most, is the one that sits on the northbound lane of I-295 at the split for I-95 north. it's all white, with NYPD is blue....like all of NYPD cars :P

This thing is always busy chasing down someone (usually for about 30 seconds before it's caught up and has them pulled over) :yes: