STS-V and XLR-V Pricing!!! - MSRP

jlbunting

Sweet, I made a headline and beat Josh. Cadillac STS-V $77,000.00 MSRP 4.4L V8 469hp XLR-V $100,00.00 MSRP 4.4L V8 443hp Mercedes Benz E55 AMG it starts at $82,575* AMG-built 5.5L 24-valve V-8 engine - 469 hp @ 6,100 rpm SL55 AMG $125,775* AMG-built supercharged 5.5L 24-valve V-8 engine - 493 hp @ 6,100 rpm BMW M5 MSRP $81,200 10 engine, with a five-liter capacity, 10 cylinders, 500-hp (SAE net) output, 383 lb-ft maximum torque, and engine speeds in excess of 8,000 rpm. Edited by jlbunting

$100K for the XLR-V? WOW!!! Granted its cheaper than a lot of its competitors but that is really steep. I dont believe they sell a lot of the XLRs to add that much more on top is a stretch. I would like a STS-V though. That price seems pretty good in comparison to the rest of the line which tops out in the mid 60s.

what happened to value pricing? I'm not saying these are overpriced, but the whole STS lines needs readjusting, and then this could go for 70k, a true performance bargain. As it is, I wouldn't buy it over a one or two year old E55 or M5 or RS6

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=107463

Cadillac Slaps $100,000 Tag on XLR-V
Date Posted 10-04-2005

DETROIT — Cadillac's new XLR-V, the performance variant of the hardtop roadster, will carry a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $100,000 when it arrives in showrooms later this year. The companion STS-V sedan will be priced at about $77,000.

The XLR-V is fitted with a supercharged, 4.4-liter version of General Motors' Northstar V8. The engine makes 440 horsepower and drives the rear wheels through a new six-speed automatic with manual-shift capability. Cadillac claims 0-to-60-mph acceleration in fewer than 5 seconds.

Also due this fall is the STS-V, which shares the supercharged, 4.4-liter unit and six-speed gearbox. Like the XLR-V, the high-performance sedan gets larger wheels and tires, along with the appropriate suspension modifications.

In a related move, GM announced that 49-year-old Bob Kruse will replace Mark Reuss, 42, as head of the company's performance division, which is responsible for development of the V-Series Cadillacs, among other goodies. Kruse retains his title as executive director of North America vehicle integration, while Reuss shifts to executive director of vehicle systems.

What this means to you: For about $25,000 less than the price of a Mercedes SL55 AMG, you can drive a 440-hp Cadillac roadster.

I dunno... I just don't like the XLR at all, never have. Never thought it was worth the money either. So, I can't get too excited about the XLR-V.

I am, however, a huge fan of the STS. The STS-V will be very nice to see on the road, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want one badly.

that xlr-v better be almost as quick as the z06... with a hard top its impressive, i know it'll beat the SL55... but it needs to be quick, and probably needs some really nice features at 100k... STS, should be more around 70k... but still if it has plenty of features over the 45k sedan, it might be worth 77... hopefully these vehicles dont see the premiums that other vehicles have seen...

what happened to value pricing? I'm not saying these are overpriced, but the whole STS lines needs readjusting, and then this could go for 70k, a true performance bargain. As it is, I wouldn't buy it over a one or two year old E55 or M5 or RS6

[post="24339"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They should have priced at $99,999.99 How's that for value pricing? Edited by evok

Is there such thing as value pricing on any $75,000 car? Do people with that much money to spend really care about saving a few thousand? They are going to get the better car, no matter the cost. If they were looking to save money they wouldnt buy a luxury car. Edited by CaddyXLR-V

Is there such thing as value pricing on any $75,000 car? Do people with that much money to spend really care about saving a few thousand? They are going to get the better car, no matter the cost. If they were looking to save money they wouldnt buy a luxury car.

[post="24431"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Bingo. The people bitching the most about the price are the people who aren't in the target market due to a severe lack of discretionary income.

I like the price. I believe the XLR is a worthy competitor for other cars in the $100-125 000 range. The STS, on the other hand, still needs a bit of work to be up there, but hopefully the V addresses those issues that can be solved before a major redesign.

On a related note, that Edmunds article is wrong. Neither has been rated at 440 hp for quite some time.

They should have priced at $99,999.99  How's that for value pricing?

[post="24386"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'll take $77k :(

:P

:D http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

evok, how does it compare with the new M5? They are targeted at slightly different markets, with the M5 being a little bit more for the enthusiasts and the STSv going after the E55 more; but how does it compare? Drive-wise, power-wise, design-wise? The interior of it most likely won't match up, I like the 5s design better and the materials are obviously much better...

When I said value pricing I was really talking about the whole STS line; when comparing it with the competition it doesn't always measure up. So maybe there needs to be some readjusting. But as long as deep discounts are avoided and sales are marching steadily, then there should be no reason for readjustments. Edited by turbo200

When buying a luxury car, isn't it better to be priced a little higher? I would think that if someone had the money to buy a car that expensive, they wouldn't want to cheese out and get the car that's 20 grand less. When buying a car like that, it's all about image. And if you're rolling in a high priced luxury vehicle, you're the shit. They don't want to be know as bargain hunters. Then again, I could be wrong since I'm not in that position.

I don't think it really matters. They're only going to make 300-400 XLR-Vs anyways (10% of total production is the V Series) so they'll find that many buyers at $100k I'm guessing. I'm sure lots of regular XLR owners are looking to move up anyways. As for the STS-V, I would have liked $72.5k, but again I don't think it really matters. The interior is upgraded with the 100% leather center console (from the same supplier that Maybach gets their leather), and I think the top of the dash is leather too, so the interior gripes the regular one gets should be non-existant.

This pricing is too high. GM continues to act like Cadillac has a great reputation for superior cars and can justify these prices. Do they think they are better than Lexus or Inifinti? What are they drinking? Can someone point to a comparison review where the STS beat anything new from Germany or Japan? With the STS non-V being so average (actually below average), we cannot expect a magical transformation on the STS-v. Same goes for the XLR. The STS non-V is $10K too much and now the STS-V is $10K too much. The XLR is in crazy territory for no good reason other than the perceived competition is up there. Does the XLR have the history of the SL class? No way. Does crap like this matter to snobby rich people? Yes. The CTS-v was very price competitive when it came out. It was inferior to its competition in many ways (crude and cheap), but at least it was a lot less than the competition. Now it's clear GM wants to make the V series extremely exclusive (that can be good) and taylor to only GM die-hards (bad). GM continues to baffle and disappoint me in so many ways. Mark

This pricing is too high.  GM continues to act like Cadillac has a great reputation for superior cars and can justify these prices.  Do they think they are better than Lexus or Inifinti?  What are they drinking?  Can someone point to a comparison review where the STS beat anything new from Germany or Japan? 

With the STS non-V being so average (actually below average), we cannot expect a magical transformation on the STS-v.  Same goes for the XLR. 

The STS non-V is $10K too much and now the STS-V is $10K too much.  The XLR is in crazy territory for no good reason other than the perceived competition is up there. Does the XLR have the history of the SL class?  No way.  Does crap like this matter to snobby rich people? Yes. 

The CTS-v was very price competitive when it came out.  It was inferior to its competition in many ways (crude and cheap), but at least it was a lot less than the competition.  Now it's clear GM wants to make the V series extremely exclusive (that can be good) and taylor to only GM die-hards (bad). 

GM continues to baffle and disappoint me in so many ways. 

Mark

[post="24478"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I pretty much agree. While the CTS-V was crude, it had more power and more size than its similarly priced competitors. The STS-V, on the other hand, is going up against faster, more powerful cars from manufacturers with more experience in the segment. I guess the novelty of it being a fast, expensive STS will be enough to meet its sales target. I don't expect the press to love it as much as the CTS-V, though, and I can see why.

It's important for us to understand what the STS' greatest weaknesses are in the first place. If we go by the comparison test MT first did of a fully loaded (meaning the best suspension offerings and drivetrain choice) STS versus the 5-series, we will see that the STS weak points are few but prevalent. High on that list is a weak interior that pales next to literally all the competition. This segment has set the bar so far, an M45's interior is now nicer than a current S-Class [on it's way out too]. The M's interior is brilliant; so is the A6 and so are a few others in this class. It is not time for GM to bargain their way out, this is Cadillac, it should not be low-rent. Design and materials are still behind in the STS, and even with an all-leather interior, this doesn't mean the overall "okay" design and lackluster materials will disappear. One of my bigger complaints with the interior is the quality of the controls used. They just aren't up to par, and won't be, because the new leather won't affect them. The other weakness addressed in that article is the pricing structure. This, of course, is no longer relevant since we are talking about a high performance model that is a league above in terms of pricing. The STS' biggest positive points are its suspension and engine; expect those only to be significantly better in this iteration. And I wouldn't be surprised at all, in fact I am expecting the STS to get a low 4-second 0-60 time for bragging rights. The regular STS goes as fast as 0-60 in 5.9, so a second and a half shouldn't be that hard for a car with 149 more hp. The only reason I think the STS doesn't compete so well in this class is because of the interior and exterior. The exterior will get some work with the V-series, so that should be alleviated. The interior will be another thing. I don't see too many Vs already though, and I don't think this one will be enough to convince all the AMGers to change over [and there are a lot of those].

The XLR price seems okay, but the STS price could go on a diet and lose about 10k.

[post="24528"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

We'll you can get a STS4 V8 almost up to $67k (you may be able too, but you can get damn close if you can't) which is what the V-Series price would be, minus $10k.

I dunno... I just don't like the XLR at all, never have.  Never thought it was worth the money either.  So, I can't get too excited about the XLR-V.

I am, however, a huge fan of the STS.  The STS-V will be very nice to see on the road, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want one badly.

[post="24375"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Glad to know I'm not the only one who likes the STS....The STS-V rocks... :)

I still think the "6 figure Cadillac" should be reserved for the ULS...not some "V series" souped up vehicle.

[post="24615"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I wonder if the "6 figured Caddy" comes fully loaded at 100k? If so, that's not
too bad Josh...

I'm not sure Caddy needs another car priced over 100k right now...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who likes the STS....The STS-V rocks... :)

[post="24684"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The STSv is an awesome car, it's just that I don't know how well it will compete....

I love the styling, the interior is good, decent enough I guess (for this price you should not have to settle), great engine, great suspension, great power, great exclusivity.......we will see how well it does. Regardless, it's a great entry for Cadillac, and a necessary one, and a great segment to be in, this car will only be positive for Cadillac's image...

The STSv is an awesome car, it's just that I don't know how well it will compete....

I love the styling, the interior is good, decent enough I guess (for this price you should not have to settle), great engine, great suspension, great power, great exclusivity.......we will see how well it does. Regardless, it's a great entry for Cadillac, and a necessary one, and a great segment to be in, this car will only be positive for Cadillac's image...

[post="24694"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I get look past the interior if it drives as good as I hope! :)

forgetting about comparisons and such. and let's get down to basic business and price elasticity. if the price of the XLR-V was $95k how many more would they sell? what if it was $90k? same for the STS-V. if the price was $75k or $72.5k or $70k, how many more would GM sell? I'm not certain that they would sell significantly more at such a nominal reduced cost. as a result, GM makes more profit at the higher prices. on top of that, what's the word on production? how many NS-SC engines can GMPD actually build and at what cost? could they support a 20% increase in production volume if demand was there? at what cost? do they want to? at $25k less than an SL55 AMG, I'd say that Cadillac is at a signifcant cost savings to warrant a second look by enthusiasts and entice ome conquest sales. the bulk will likely go to existing XLR owners or corvette/gm owners. the sts-v, is a lot closer in price to M5 and E55 so not going to make as strong a play on the 'value' side like the CTS-V did. however, i'm betting it is a worthy competitor technically for those two vehicles and probably is a good compromise between the two in terms of overall performance/luxury, with the only major gripe being some of the interior bits and sylte of the interior (which is subjective anyway). i look forward to the comparison tests in the mags and can't wait to the see the rare STS-V and XLR-V on Toronto streets.

Wow for the bargain price of 100K I can have a tiny, cramped little roadster with a Caddy badge and a good engine. Or I can buy an entire house with a 2 stall garage in a lovely neighborhood. Hmmm lets see.... Just because a Mercedes is overpriced doesn't give Cadillac the excuse to overprice their cars. The STS has been about 10K overpriced since it's introduction for what your getting. A body that looks like a cheaper CTS. Plain jane styling. No exterior trim or moldings or even a character line in the doors. An interor that is below the class competitors average. Acceleration that is good but below several key competitors. Yes value pricing at Cadillac should be in force.

"Is there such thing as value pricing on any $75,000 car? Do people with that much money to spend really care about saving a few thousand? They are going to get the better car, no matter the cost. If they were looking to save money they wouldnt buy a luxury car." "Bingo. The people bitching the most about the price are the people who aren't in the target market due to a severe lack of discretionary income." I agree with both posts above. People - a purchase of a car above $50K is more emotional than rational. Is the person who buys an S-Class really going to be talked into a cheaper LS430 to save money? No. People buy expensive cars not after many days and nights researching and shopping for the best deal. People drop near six figures on a vehicle because they want THAT vehicle. Since when did a Hummer H1, 911, M5, SL55, XLR, ZO6 or any other high priced luxury car make sense. One of my uncles just bought a BMW 760iL. I asked him if he considered an Audi A8 (my preference for that price range) and you know what he said about his near $90K purchase? No - I wanted a 7 series - I didn't look at anything else. These purchases are purchases of emotion. Only in the car magazines do you see such detailed (albeit biased) comparisons of high end luxury cars. If someone buys a $100K XLR-V then they probably bought it because they wanted one - not because it was cheaper than a Mercedes SL. The people who can't comprehend these prices are obviously not the target market. If people bought "luxury cars" only after much research on value, reliability and practicality, then all luxury sedans would be LS 430s and Sports cars would be Corvettes. But that is not the case. Get past the prices people and be glad that the company you love is finally producing vehicles that could even be mentioned in the same sentence with these very high performance luxury sedans from Europe. Just ten years ago - people would have laughed at the idea of seriously being able to compete against the SL

"Is there such thing as value pricing on any $75,000 car? Do people with that much money to spend really care about saving a few thousand? They are going to get the better car, no matter the cost. If they were looking to save money they wouldnt buy a luxury car."

"Bingo. The people bitching the most about the price are the people who aren't in the target market due to a severe lack of discretionary income."
I agree with both posts above.  People - a purchase of a car above $50K is more emotional than rational.  Is the person who buys an S-Class really going to be talked into a cheaper LS430 to save money?  No.  People buy expensive cars not after many days and nights researching and shopping for the best deal.  People drop near six figures on a vehicle because they want THAT vehicle.  Since when did a Hummer H1, 911, M5, SL55, XLR, ZO6 or any other high priced luxury car make sense.  One of my uncles just bought a BMW 760iL.  I asked him if he considered an Audi A8 (my preference for that price range) and you know what he said about his near $90K purchase?  No - I wanted a 7 series - I didn't look at anything else.

These purchases are purchases of emotion.  Only in the car magazines do you see such detailed (albeit biased) comparisons of high end luxury cars.  If someone buys a $100K XLR-V then they probably bought it because they wanted one - not because it was cheaper than a Mercedes SL.

The people who can't comprehend these prices are obviously not the target market.  If people bought "luxury cars" only after much research on value, reliability and practicality, then all luxury sedans would be LS 430s and Sports cars would be Corvettes.  But that is not the case.

Get past the prices people and be glad that the company you love is finally producing vehicles that could even be mentioned in the same sentence with these very high performance luxury sedans from Europe.  Just ten years ago - people would have laughed at the idea of seriously being able to compete against the SL

[post="24805"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I guess the question is whether or not the STS-V is good enough for an emotional purchase. The fact that it's a fast, expensive Cadillac should be enough, even though I disagree.

I'm with Paulino..

I like the XLR and XLR-V a lot but they're just missing something.

The Evoq concept was BEAUTIFUL, but eventhough the XLR is striking and attractive it isn't as cool as the concept.

This pricing is too high. GM continues to act like Cadillac has a great reputation for superior cars and can justify these prices.

It does if you go back further than the 80's

Can someone point to a comparison review where the STS beat anything new from Germany or Japan?

With the STS non-V being so average (actually below average), we cannot expect a magical transformation on the STS-v. Same goes for the XLR.

Dude, what are YOU drinking?? Don't you remember the glowing write-ups the STS got when it first debuted? It placed well in all but 1 comparison. Autoweek said it almost BESTED the more performance oriented 5 Series they put it against.

Neither the STS nor the XLR are "BELOW AVERAGE" Sure, the interior of the STS *MIGHT* be a little dated and cheap for the class, but that's probably its only flaw.

And the XLR placed above the SC430 in NUMEROUS comparisons while almost besting the SL.

Now it's clear GM wants to make the V series extremely exclusive (that can be good) and taylor to only GM die-hards (bad).

GM continues to baffle and disappoint me in so many ways.

I can however see your point there.... Crystal clear. And I agree if that becomes the case.

I think we'll see conquest sales though... There are a lot of CTS-Vs running around here. Face it, the cars are good values with awesome styling, amazing power and awesome handling. And to boot the interiors, while not class leading, are good to great. I guess some people just can't accept that GM will ever be as good or better than the imports no matter what they do. Trust me... This group of buyers is a trendy bunch, some will already want the "new fad" Cadillac and those who don't will at least take notice when these cars get the positive write ups they deserve in the press.

These cars will benefit Cadillac a lot.

I guess the question is whether or not the STS-V is good enough for an emotional purchase. The fact that it's a fast, expensive Cadillac should be enough, even though I disagree.

[post="24811"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There were plenty of people who questioned Cadillac is selling a $70K+ XLR. That worked and I would expect the XLR - V to sell as well.

Wow for the bargain price of 100K I can have a tiny, cramped little roadster with a Caddy badge and a good engine. Or I can buy an entire house with a 2 stall garage in a lovely neighborhood. Hmmm lets see.... Just because a Mercedes is overpriced doesn't give Cadillac the excuse to overprice their cars. The STS has been about 10K overpriced since it's introduction for what your getting. A body that looks like a cheaper CTS. Plain jane styling. No exterior trim or moldings or even a character line in the doors. An interor that is below the class competitors average. Acceleration that is good but below several key competitors. Yes value pricing at Cadillac should be in force.

[post="24737"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Where do you live that housing is so cheap???? Not even Indiana has that cheap housing!

Bingo.  The people bitching the most about the price are the people who aren't in the target market due to a severe lack of discretionary income.

[post="24435"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not too many affluent people buy GM vehicles, so who's going to buy it if the middle class can't afford it?

As of September's sales report, GM has sold 26,548 STSs. That's better than the new Acura RL, new Lexus GS, and new Infiniti M-Series. Obviously the public approves of the STS. The V-Series will only increase the STS's status, personal appeal, and sales. As for the lower than expected XLR sales (3,101), I still believe the 7k annual sales goal is actually a target once the V-Series becomes available. GM hasn't shown very much concern over current sales in comparison to expectations. The V-Series will spur interest in the XLR and encourage potential buyers to test drive both versions. I'm sure many will want the V-Series, but several will also find the regular XLR's performance satisfying, and the price more reasonable. The XLR is a halo vehicle and is serving its purpose VERY well. Wealthy people don't mind being seen in a $75k Cadillac roadster. I think they'll be very accepting of a $100k performance version. The XLR is a worthy vehicle. It is quality. Roadster season is winding down for the winter, so I suspect the XLR-V to help really boost sales come Spring.

Not too many affluent people buy GM vehicles, so who's going to buy it if the middle class can't afford it?

[post="24863"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

People are buying it. Affluent people are enjoying the new Cadillacs for one simple reason: in their circles, MBs and BMWs are a dime a dozen. They want something different, but still nice.

I disagree...

Cadillacs, Corvettes, GMT800 SUVs and to an extent Buicks, have always been bought by affluent people.

[post="24939"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Corvettes yes, some Cadillacs yes, Buicks maybe during the 60s (I'm talking about people who can afford 70k vehicles, will they honestly buy a Lacrosse?)

Maybe being in New York is a bit different, but honestly, I've never seen a Buick in anybody's million dollar home unless it belongs to their teenage son. I just find the STS a bit underwhelming, just not as flashy as its more popular brother, the CTS, and definitely not as lustful. And making a more expensive V version of it won't really change anybody's mind, especially if the more experienced European sedans are closely priced. I'd take the least expensive CTS-V anyday...

Corvettes yes, some Cadillacs yes, Buicks maybe during the 60s (I'm talking about people who can afford 70k vehicles, will they honestly buy a Lacrosse?)

Maybe being in New York is a bit different, but honestly, I've never seen a Buick in anybody's million dollar home unless it belongs to their teenage son. I just find the STS a bit underwhelming, just not as flashy as its more popular brother, the CTS, and definitely not as lustful. And making a more expensive V version of it won't really change anybody's mind, especially if the more experienced European sedans are closely priced. I'd take the least expensive CTS-V anyday...

[post="24966"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I know a very rich family who got a Rendezvous.

Very rich people aren't that way because they like to throw away money. These cars are $10K overpriced. It will be harmful to Cadillac if the market perceives this and stays away from the cars, because they will be seen as failures. The regular XLR hasn't exactly set the luxury roadster market on fire.

As of September's sales report, GM has sold 26,548 STSs.
That's better than the new Acura RL, new Lexus GS, and new Infiniti M-Series.

As for the lower than expected XLR sales (3,101), I still believe the 7k annual sales goal is actually a target once the V-Series becomes available. GM hasn't shown very much concern over current sales in comparison to expectations. The V-Series will spur interest in the XLR and encourage potential buyers to test drive both versions. I'm sure many will want the V-Series, but several will also find the regular XLR's performance satisfying, and the price more reasonable.

The XLR is a halo vehicle and is serving its purpose VERY well. Wealthy people don't mind being seen in a $75k Cadillac roadster. I think they'll be very accepting of a $100k performance version. The XLR is a worthy vehicle. It is quality. 

Roadster season is winding down for the winter, so I suspect the XLR-V to help really boost sales come Spring.

[post="24868"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The 3GS hasn't been on sale this entire yr, and its #'s fall far short of those the 5er and Eclass sell. I hear the GS300 needs special lease offer, that can be easliy rectified by swaping to the 3.5L engine.

I see STS sales getting a boost, I see no change in XLR-V sales. I think XLR-V buyers would have otherwise purchased the standard version.

XLR sales will never come near meeting the original target set when the SC and SL were both selling in excess of 12k units annually.

Other than loyalty to the Cadillac mark, there really is no reason to pick the STS-V over the E55/E63 or M5. I think the STS-V halo vehicle will end up causing more harm than good to Cadillac's image. No way the mags will have anything postive to say when compared to the M5 or CLS55.

I look at those pictures Ven and ask.....who would spend $100k on a vehicle that has less power than a $70k z06 yet not peform as well simply because of a power hard-top? Stupid GM pricing and executives that allow it. Nothing more, 'nor less.

Other than loyalty to the Cadillac mark, there really is no reason to pick the STS-V over the E55/E63 or M5.  I think the STS-V halo vehicle will end up causing more harm than good to Cadillac's image.  No way the mags will have anything postive to say when compared to the M5 or CLS55.

[post="25029"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yep. Nothing positive to say about a 469hp Cadillac sports sedan. It has the same hp as the E55 & only 31 hp less than the V10 BMW. Still thousands cheaper than both. I think the mags are going to surprise you. The STS-V goes beyond simply catering to "Cadillac" fans and brand loyalists.

Comparing the STS-V to the CLS55 is a stretch and inappropriate. It's far more expensive and is not the STS's direct competition. But still, the STS-V has the same HP as the CLS55.