June 2007: Toyota Motor Corporation

Toyota Reports June, Second-Quarter and First-Half Sales

July 3, 2007 – Torrance, CA - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today reported all-time best-ever first-half year sales of 1,331,074. June sales of 245,739, an increase of 6.1 percent over last June, contributed to a record-setting second quarter, with sales of 725,219 units.

"Tundra really hit its stride this month, posting a record sales pace," said Jim Lentz, TMS executive vice president. "In a short five months the new truck's earned its stripes with both loyal Toyota owners and those new to the brand."

The Toyota Division posted best-ever June sales of 216,870, up 6.9 percent over last June. The Lexus Division reported best-ever June sales of 28,869 units, an increase of 0.4 percent.

Toyota Division

Toyota Division passenger cars recorded best-ever June sales of 128,239, an increase of 4.9 percent over last June. Passenger car sales were led by Camry, which posted best-ever June sales of 46,630, up 8.4 percent over the same period last year. Camry Hybrid reported sales of 5,530 units in June. The Prius hybrid gas-electric mid-size sedan posted best-ever June sales of 17,756, an increase of 76.3 percent over June 2006. The Yaris subcompact reported an increase of 28 percent, posting best-ever June sales of 9,155 units. Corolla reported best-ever June sales of 36,499 units.

Toyota Division light truck sales were up 10 percent, with a best-ever June total of 88,631 units. Light truck sales were led by the all-new Tundra full-size pickup with all-time best-ever sales of 21,727, an increase of 137.2 percent over the year-ago month. The RAV4 compact sport utility vehicle (SUV) reported best-ever June sales of 14,677, up seven percent over the same period last year. Highlander and Highlander Hybrid posted combined June sales of 11,253, up 3.8 percent over the same period last year. The Highlander Hybrid gas-electric mid-size SUV reported sales of 2,403 units for the month.

Scion posted June sales of 12,536 units. The tC sports coupe led the way with June sales of 6,509 units. The xB urban utility vehicle posted sales of 5,257 units for the month.

Lexus Division

Lexus passenger cars reported best-ever June sales of 17,457 units, an increase of 6.1 percent over June 2006. Passenger car sales were led by the ES 350 luxury sedan with June sales of 7,232 units. The all-new LS 460 and LS 460 L reported combined sales of 2,631, an increase of 149.9 percent over last June. Combined sales of the IS 250 and IS 350 posted best-ever June sales of 5,182 units, up 11.9 percent over the year-ago month.

Lexus Division light trucks reported June sales totaling 11,412 units. The RX 350 and RX 400h enjoyed combined June sales of 9,349 units. The RX 400h hybrid luxury utility vehicle reported sales of 1,562 units for the month, up 26 percent over last June.

TMS Hybrids

TMS first-half hybrid sales totaled 146,536 units, an increase of 69 percent over the same period last year. In June, TMS posted sales of 27,382 hybrid vehicles, up 46 percent over last June. Toyota Division posted sales of 25,689 hybrids, up 48 percent over the same period last year. Lexus Division posted sales of 1,693 hybrids, an increase of 15 percent over last June.

There were 27 selling days this month, as compared to 26 selling days last June.

FULL CHART: http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/View?...YT2007070389166

http://www.toyota.com/about/news/corporate...03-1-sales.html

Edited by mustang84

As I said in the GM thread, the Lucerne outsold the Avalon AGAIN and almost matched the ES350, so...shove it.

And that would be the highlight of the comparison between the two, from GM's perspective. Make sure to rearrange the deckchairs before hopping on the lifeboats! :)

My zone was at 70% last month---there were stores doing 20%(!) of targeted figures.

Hey, let me have my moment! :hissyfit:

Sorry.

We're (sadly) about to lose at least 2 GM stores in our region (a third is already gone as of June 30th). All 3 are in the heart of middle class suburbia. They've been overwhelmed by the foreign invaders.

Perhaps the contraction is necessary, but as with some of the Ford outfits, I believe at least one of these is a 2/3rd gen. family store.

Why dont' they just say... "since GM is giving up fleet sales, Toyota has taken those spots which helped them get their Best Ever sales month"

Unfortunately, only 20% of GM's total decline is due to fleeting, if you believe the PR regarding the total fleet sales this month...that being said, it stands to reason that more factories (running at full speed) means more fleeting is necessary to maintain correct inventory levels...

It's time to stop whining about Toyota's dominance and figure out how to restore GM's mojo. Otherwise, it'll be over in short order. Or we'll be buying GM cars made everywhere but the US.

Sorry.

We're (sadly) about to lose at least 2 GM stores in our region (a third is already gone as of June 30th). All 3 are in the heart of middle class suburbia. They've been overwhelmed by the foreign invaders.

Perhaps the contraction is necessary, but as with some of the Ford outfits, I believe at least one of these is a 2/3rd gen. family store.

I thought that was a good thing? I'm personally happy to hear three GM dealers are closing in your area. GM has too many dealers. Three dealers closing should help you meet sales targets. That should lower cross-shopping and price comparisons between GM dealers which means you'll be able to offer lower incentives. This means more profit for you to keep your dealership fresh and offer perks.

I thought that was a good thing? I'm personally happy to hear three GM dealers are closing in your area. GM has too many dealers. Three dealers closing should help you meet sales targets. That should lower cross-shopping and price comparisons between GM dealers which means you'll be able to offer lower incentives. This means more profit for you to keep your dealership fresh and offer perks.

While what you're saying is 100% true, but its about 100-150 jobs gone in my region...and, to be honest, we've seen years of record new vehicle sales---probably as a result of these guys uncompetitive situation.

While good for GM as well, I feel for those personally affected.

Unfortunately, both GM and Ford are merely following the market downward. There has been a few dealer closings in the Greater Toronto Area, both by Ford and GM, but still dealers are selling about 1/4 of what they were only 10 years ago. In most cases, it is only the used car departments that are keeping many of them alive - or the service department!

Although nobody wants to work at the dealer that is the one to close, generally it is better for everyone. I agree that price erosion is largely the result of too many dealers chasing too few customers, and I don't see that serving anyone - not even the customer. I think more than anything, customers don't like confusion, and in good times dealers are all generally singing the same tune; while in bad times, there are wild swings in prices and often outright lies.

I've seen sales numbers for this city, and generally Chevrolet dealers are getting pummelled. I am afraid that may be foreshadowing what could happen in the States once amalgamation is finished. Take a look at the product line up for Pontiac-Buick-GMC combined stores, then look at a Chevy store.

Which franchise would you rather own, especially in a market where trucks don't sell all that well?

Sorry.

Its never a good thing when people get put out of business like that. Granted, GM does need to trim its dealers, but it doesn't make it easy for the folks who work there.

The sales leader thing is starting to become less of an issue for me. Just wait for the new Malibu and as I was driving through Madison today I saw a new Saturn Vue! *Sharp looking but I would never want one!* Look Toyota moved some new Turds, good considering the GMT-900's are kicking the Tundra's and Seqouia's ass.

Also if becoming nu. 2 in sales is what needs to happen but with improved profitablity, aka no Avis and E rental vehicles and higher resale it is okay with me. Amazing what a change GM has made in the first six months of 2007, I think they deserve some credit. Being nu. 2 always used to bother me but not so much anymore.

While what you're saying is 100% true, but its about 100-150 jobs gone in my region...and, to be honest, we've seen years of record new vehicle sales---probably as a result of these guys uncompetitive situation.

While good for GM as well, I feel for those personally affected.

From my understanding, the turn-over rate in a dealership is outstanding... very little loyalty outside of owner & relatives. Management, administration, sales, etc all have high turnover. I understand that a certain amount of jobs are leaving the area, but most of the people holding them were just waiting for something better to come along anyways. I've known several people who have worked for dealerships, and the impression is all the dealerships in an area "know" each other and feed off each other for employees (regardless of manufacturer/brands sold.)

It seems to me that you'll have fresh blood coming your way in an interview near you (unless they've already worked for you in the past.) :smilewide:

But like in any normal (non-unionized) labor setting, smart people will manage their careers accordingly. I am sure a lot of dealers are just waiting for that check to come from head office so they can shut it down. Do you think they will care about someone who has worked for them for 15-20-25 years? One of the oldest Cadillac dealers in Toronto closed recently, and their employees were offered a job in (get ready for this) Mississauga - a half hour drive away in good traffic.

Smart people will see the writing on the wall and get out while they can, whether that is out of the business entirely or switching vehicle lines, or changing cities, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I, myself, and watching what GM is doing to Saturn with a wary eye. IMO, Saturn will really begin to squeeze Chevrolet dealers in the GTA once the Opel product becomes well received. I'm not sure it will have the same effect in the States, but I've noticed more cross-shopping with the Vue and Aura than in the past. Like Hyundia and Kia, Saturn once may have been a joke but now is getting some credible products while the small car line (which is what sells in this city) is being starved at Chevrolet, or at least has to be shared equally with the stronger Pontiac-Buick line up. I might add that the Hyundai dealer up the street sells triple the vehicles in a month that we do, largely because he only has 8 or 9 other dealers to do battle with, not 39.

Toyota posts all-time record 12 "best-evers" in a sales release

Lol. Unfortunately that isn't a record for them. Their last press release (May) had "best-ever" listed 15 times, and "all-time best-ever" listed 7 times.

As I said in the GM thread, the Lucerne outsold the Avalon AGAIN and almost matched the ES350, so...shove it.

Hell, I don't like automatics or full sized cars and even I am in absolute ungodly lust over the Lucerne. It is a sweet car.

Chris

Sorry.

Our largest Toyota dealer just bought our oldest Cadillac dealership. They proceeded to close it down and lay everyone off after the place has been there since about 1927.

Sadly, the cool art Deco building it was housed in does not have historical status and is scheduled to be bulldozed for redevelopment.

Chris

And that would be the highlight of the comparison between the two, from GM's perspective. Make sure to rearrange the deckchairs before hopping on the lifeboats! :)

My zone was at 70% last month---there were stores doing 20%(!) of targeted figures.

Sorry to swear but....Oh, $h!.

Chris

Our largest Toyota dealer just bought our oldest Cadillac dealership. They proceeded to close it down and lay everyone off after the place has been there since about 1927.

Sadly, the cool art Deco building it was housed in does not have historical status and is scheduled to be bulldozed for redevelopment.

Chris

One of our oldest (if not THE oldest) Cadillac dealers closed 3 months ago and a 40 storey condo will be slapped on the roof of the facade. Just what Toronto needs - another 40 storey condo. (Oh, on their old used car lot, TWO 40 storey condos are going up) Pretty soon, Bay St. will make Manhattan look like Kansas.

Unfortunately, only 20% of GM's total decline is due to fleeting, if you believe the PR regarding the total fleet sales this month...that being said, it stands to reason that more factories (running at full speed) means more fleeting is necessary to maintain correct inventory levels...

It's time to stop whining about Toyota's dominance and figure out how to restore GM's mojo. Otherwise, it'll be over in short order. Or we'll be buying GM cars made everywhere but the US.

True. And rumors of Toyota's newfound dependence on fleet sales is wishful thinking from the "Big 3" crowd.

Through May, Toyota had only two models over 10% fleet penetration......Corolla at 15.9% (14th place in the "subcompact" segment) and Avalon at 15.3% (17th place in the "intermediates" segment.) Camry and even Solara were well under 10% fleet penetration.

When you see the disparity between GM's (and Ford's and Chrysler's) fleet sales relative to Toyota and Honda, it paints a VERY scary picture.