Independence Day

Well, it's cloudy and cool here this a.m. (unbecoming for a July 4th, imo). Still, it's a day to celebrate the anniversary of our great country's birth as a nation. And in that spirit (of '76), what better to do than declare your independence? Is there something holding you down, keeping you from greatness? Kick it! Be free!

Just got back from the beach. Things started out nice but quickly turned cool, windy, and sunless. I built a 1/18" car out of sand alongside my chair, polished off a magazine, then called it quits. Maybe I'll pull out the bike later, but it's not looking good.

Happy 4th to everyone!

The weather is very cool and rainy here in Rochester too. Most of my friends are away or already have plans so I'm not doing much of anything today. However, I will be getting together with a few people tonight to see fireworks, assuming they don't get rained out.

I'm actually feeling a little somber this 4th. I've been out of town for the past week and a half for work. When I was coming home, I had a layover in Atlanta and there was a lot of military personnel passing through. I saw too many young guys with healing wounds on their faces and necks. The whole war in Iraq had always been sort of unreal to me because my only connection to it had been through seeing stuff on tv which never seems real. Seeing these guys in person and how young they looked hit my like a ton of bricks. It's so sad that anybody has to go through anything like this.

It also got me to thinking back to when I came very close to joining the navy but changed my mind at the last minute. I've always been curious as to how I would have been different as a person if I had gone through with it and had the experiences that being in the military would have given me...

And in that spirit (of '76), what better to do than declare your independence? Is there something holding you down, keeping you from greatness? Kick it! Be free!

OMG! You're finally coming out to your family? You goooooo girl!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by wpbharry

Happy 231st to the US... Canada is but a baby by comparison (just turned 140).

On a side note:

I've always thought it would be kind of a let down to be one of those "first born on xxx" babies - like the first baby born in Jan 1st 1980, for example. Your life will likely turn out ordinary, but you started as a 'special' kid in some way. Canada celebrated the first baby born on July 1 1967, the day Canada celebrated its centennial. Who was that baby? Pamela Anderson. Go figure.

ps. That means she's 40 now.

Central Maryland was put under a tornado watch this afternoon, which turned into a tornado warning later in the evening...that was fun. Other than that, my day wasn't bad. I basically lounged around the house after sleeping in until 11:55.

Hope y'all had a good 4th! :unitedstates:

On a side note:

I've always thought it would be kind of a let down to be one of those "first born on xxx" babies - like the first baby born in Jan 1st 1980, for example. Your life will likely turn out ordinary, but you started as a 'special' kid in some way. Canada celebrated the first baby born on July 1 1967, the day Canada celebrated its centennial. Who was that baby? Pamela Anderson. Go figure.

ps. That means she's 40 now.

the us can't 231... more like we're not "brits" anymore for that long. hehe

hope everyone had a safe, fun day

My 4th of July wasnt bad. I celebrated at my sisters house with my family with the usual brats,hamburgers, potato salad, etc. It was pretty warm though but still fun. On a somber note it is the first 4th of July without my dad after dying from very quick cancer. So part of it was to celebrate his life and the things he loved about the 4th. Barbequing in his Holland grill which is now my sisters because Mom and I dont need that big grill, fireworks, and just good conversation. It was very strange without him as he did a lot of the stuff. But we made it.

TYD and other Canadians: Happy belated Canada Day (July 1)

Spent the 4th on Portugal´s beautiful island of Madeira...today, I island hopped over to the Canaries (which belong to Spain). Not too homesick....yet.

Hope everyone had a pleasant and safe 4th.