dufus22

My idea for the ranger

9 posts in this topic

hello All, I have this wild idea for the next ford ranger, Build it off the Edge platform. I know what you're thinking, it's night tough enough to be a truck. The way most people use a truck, it would be fine. I would have ext cab, and crew cab, and awd. I mean with the new 3.5 it could be pretty sporty, and chepaer on fuel. So, tell me what you guys think? Am I on to something, or just nuts?

Well, that might work for one small group of the people who still buy Rangers, but the majority still buys them because they're cheap, small, and still "real" trucks that can take a pretty good beating. As of now, certainly not the best out there, and I really don't even see that many new ones on the lots anymore, but there will always be a market for such trucks, I think, as long as they don't get too expensive (Colorado/Canyon), too weak (Colorado/Canyon), too big, or too carlike (Ridgeline, even though that, admittedly, IS for that "other" segment of the truck buying market). Edited by caddycruiser

I think, as long as they don't get too expensive (Colorado/Canyon), too weak (Colorado/Canyon), too big, or too carlike (Ridgeline, even though that, admittedly, IS for that "other" segment of the truck buying market).

[post="24550"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Could someone post comparative dynos between the Colorado and Ranger? How much of the complaints about the Colorado are actually due to its power and how much is because it's "supposed" to have 6 cylinders.

I much as I like the Ranger...I think it needs to just go away.. :( Short for those few-Its pretty useless in this market now. Unless they could build one to beat the Tacoma...don't even waste the time. :angry:

I was lot cruising the other night, Rangers are way overpriced for being so out of date. They need an actual replacement, either an actual compact pickup or a car-based Ranchero.

my idea for Ford for the Ranger is for them to spend some money and update the thing

The Ranger is sadly falling into Crown Vic-dom - doesn't sell enough to justify a major change, sells too much to justify dumping for an all-new truck, and sells just enough to keep around as-is for minimal updates. Its advantage is that, damnit, its the only real compact pickup for sale in this country. Its disadvantage is that its priced like a midsizer.

Why not use the SportTrac chassis and simply make the area where the rear cabin was into the front of the bed? You'd have a first in a traditional pickup with fully independent suspension, but if that's a bad thing, simply develop a solid rear axle for it.

The Ranger is sadly falling into Crown Vic-dom - doesn't sell enough to justify a major change, sells too much to justify dumping for an all-new truck, and sells just enough to keep around as-is for minimal updates.

[post="24892"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

True about the sales. However, sometimes a manufactuere needs to support a segment that has been loyal in the past. I think Chevy should have kept a rear drive impala for the police, taxi, etc. trade.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room