Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

1980's American Motors commercial

13 posts in this topic

All hail...the original Sport utility wagon....and not the Outback :AH-HA_wink:

Here in PA you still see those wagons from time to time. A brilliant concept, imo, and very predictive.

There's one near me in mint condition with the bumper sticker "Don't laugh, it's paid for".

I've toyed with the idea.....but I really want another Toronado.

Too bad AMC couldn't have held on for another decade - they could've rode the crest of the SUV/4WD craze. I think a lot of crap that Renault foisted on them in the mid-80s killed them. In some ways, they were ahead of the pack, but one too many UGLY cars killed them.

I have two AMC stories: my grandmother traded in her '69 Pontiac Parisienne for a '71 Gremlin. We all thought gramma had flipped her wig. Too many trips to Laura Secord, I suspect. One of my best friends parents traded in their gorgeous '68 Chrysler newport 2 door in baby blue for a GAWDAWFUL fire-engine orange '76 AMC Hornet, complete with black vinyl seats that had black and white checkerboard inserts. I may have only been 15, but I knew the height of ugliness when I saw it.

Or at least I did until I laid eyes on the Honda Element. :lol:

I had an 80 AMC Eagle wagon, the same brown color in the ad, but in 80, I didn't have the option to select 2wd to 4wd. It was a piece, but when it did run, it was a blast.

There's one (wagon) parked at the local gas station, there's also one for sale in the area for $450. I have to say, they're pretty good looking, especially considering the ugly crap that was sold in the 80's.

Edited by Dodgefan

There there, maybe it's the medication.

I lived the '70s and '80s, let me tell you, there was only one AMC vehicle that I ever came close to coveting and that was the '76ish Matador coupe. They were actually, sort of decent looking, despite the unfortunate looking bumpers that hung on them.

We were forced to tour the AMC plant in Bramalea as part of my "driver education" when I got my driver's license. We had to watch them build Concords there. I am not talking about the later, nicer Chrysler Eagle versions, either. I did talk to a lawyer at the time and considered pressing charges against the school for "cruel and unusual punishment." Sitting through the police accident scene film was less traumatic.

AMC's only purpose in the '70s was to make the rest of the junk Detroit was putting out look good. :lol:

One of the cars I learned to drive on was a 76 Hornet wagon. It always started and never left us stranded. The only thing was it got a little rusty and was time to go. They were all pretty simple cars. If you look at some of there stuff from the late sixties it was pretty nice(AMX Javelin Rebel SST) . And a gremlin was better than a Pinto or Vega (stock) any day, much better simpler car.

I agree with mrmonte... the Gremlin was a shortened Hornet, a bigger car than Pinto or Vega, and it sold in the same price class as those smaller rivals. Plus, it didn't have the engine problems of the Vega, or the firebomb problems of the Pinto. It was simple and to the point.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0