Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

1950 Buick

There's a 1950 Buick for sale a few blocks away from me and I passed by it. I know it runs but it just needs a paintjob. $6k but my dad said that he would chew the sellers down and buy it. I would sell the electra and pay him for the 50'. It's a beautiful car

Posted Image

Same color as the red one in the pic.

What do you guys think?

Went and took some pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not a good interior pic...but the interior is mint.

Posted Image

Has a few paint chips and dings, but the paint is actually in great shape. I can have the paint filled in and buffed back to a nice shine. On top of that, its a 2 tone paint job and has no exterior door handles...which leads me to believe that there is a keyfob for that.

Highly unlikely....I'm sure the '50 weighs as much as the Electra and the V6, or it might be a straight six.... isn't that powerful, so it will strain to pull the weight. Drop the Electra's motor in there :P

Edited by Delta Force79

Well obviously a test drive is in order....I don't even know if the '50 has power steering or power brakes....all sacrafices you would have to make too....there's lots to consider, plus parts etc. Make sure you test drive it for a least a few miles, maybe even hop on the parkway....just suggesting how I would go about it.

I hope Bob reads this thread and this post :P

It doesn't have to be a '48 Roadmaster. This is a beauty as well! if the NG LaX is as elegant as this, then skip the W-bodies and get a LaX instead.

Well obviously a test drive is in order....I don't even know if the '50 has power steering or power brakes....all sacrafices you would have to make too....there's lots to consider, plus parts etc. Make sure you test drive it for a least a few miles, maybe even hop on the parkway....just suggesting how I would go about it.

I would definetally do that, but I wouldn't ever take this car on the highway...Just locally. Have to do a good inspection first...tomarrow night with my dad.

I'd be wary of those electrically-operated doors, too. They're probably going to be problematic. Can you get into the car if the solenoids fail? It'll also be harder to find maintenance parts for any 1950 car. Unless you have a lot of money and time to maintain a car that old, I'd advise against it. The Electra was made in an era when there were millions of B-and C-bodies on the road, all with a lot of similar parts. Mush easier to maintain.

Well there is a classic buick parts site that I visit that sells all stuff from 1945 on where I can get parts. And about the electric doors, I have to talk to the owner about that situation. Maybe my dad can chew them down...ya know "what if it breaks" "the paint isnt in mint shape" "its not completely original". I really want this car, especially since its not a mess like the electra. ANNND a few extra speakers were installed i saw...maybe theres a hidden CD Player.

I was at work until 9:30 this evening. Add to that the experience of a... fellow... hailing my truck down in a deserted industrial area, claiming 'that guy over there' had just stabbed him and could I give him a lift down the block? With my foot resting gently on the go-pedal of 605 ft-lbs of trq, I politely refused.

No 6s in this era Buick- that's a Fireball straight eight. Buick built eights exclusively from '31-'60; until the A-Body Special appeared in '61. If you're worried about mileage, get a Chevette. Still, 1 book I have that lists MPG ranges for vintage cars says 13-17. Depending on state of tune & modifications, you might do better, you might do worse. I think it goes: "Your mileage may vary". :P

In '50, the Special is a Series 40, the Super a Series 50... both had 3 VentiPorts per side (Roadmaster had 4). As was usually the case- the number of VentiPorts had nothing to do with the number of cylinders; Buick was not being so simplistic. Data plate underhood will have the model number stamped, such as '41D'.

Special used a 248 I-8, 6.3:1 CR, 110 HP. Super used the 124 HP 263 with a sporting 6.6:1 CR. Specials with the DynaFLow raised that number to 120.

These cars are not as heavy as one might think; even though there is literally less than 5 lbs of plastic in it (nirvana!), there's not much else. Special 4-dr sedan starts at the 3710 lb range, not many options to bump that up much at all in '50.

>>"I'd be wary of those electrically-operated doors, too. They're probably going to be problematic. Can you get into the car if the solenoids fail? It'll also be harder to find maintenance parts for any 1950 car. Unless you have a lot of money and time to maintain a car that old, I'd advise against it. The Electra was made in an era when there were millions of B-and C-bodies on the road, all with a lot of similar parts. Mush easier to maintain."<<

Modern solenoids are very reliable from all I've heard- they are not that expensive to replace if these are considerably old (say: around 10 yrs old). As far as maintenance parts go, it is almost entirely an issue of age- the '66 shares a very short list of interchangables with it's siblings- do not expect bearings & seals & ball joints to necessarily exchange with other '66 brothers. The '50 is getting pretty old, but get plugged in to the vintage enthusiast circle and you'll find all you need.

Car look very nice from pics- I would check thoroughly for rust & rust repair, and I would want to know what was changed mechanically and if any removed original parts come with. I usually hate con't kits, tho this shape wears it well, IMO. Would be worth $ if you were to sell just that. As for the overall price, that's your call.

Well, I walked over and took another look through the window...The car was obviously one of those custom type cars. On the outside, theres that stupid handpainted designs that usually go areound trunk locks and emblems and a decal trhat shows "<3's desire". There is dice on all the locks and vent adjustments, speakers have been installed behine the back seats, and the conti kit and lack of ext. handles further proves that. And th windows seemed somewhat tinted...very lightly though. None the less this is a very cool car that I will find out much more about when I see the seller. There is some cracking in the paint but very visually appealing for now.

Here is an interior pic:

Posted Image

Those are called 'dummy spots', a 99%-of-the-time non-functional swivel spot light that is the '50s version (along with tuck-n-roll & lake pipes) of the '90s ricer staples: body kit, hi-rise spoiler, fart can.

I personally HATE dummy spots- the typical proceedure is: shave the door handles, all the emblems and a bunch of the trim, then slap these chromed zits on. Blech (IMO). And in the hen's teeth chance they're functional, I still hate them passionately.

Im really on the fence....

50' Buick

Pros-has modern stereo, paint condition better then electra, needs less mechanical work?, straight body

Cons- very old...hard to find parts, slow, too much cutomization, will need paint eventually, im guessing high mileage, very "soft" looking

Electra

Pros-powerhouse, muscle look, newer, easier to find replacement windows and a few parts, LOW mileage, more car like then 50', more safety featres

Cons-AM radio that dont work, needs fusebox, needs heatercore, needs paint, needs minor breakwork, needs bodywork

anyone know where I could get a fuse box???

the 1950 Buick Sedanette is one of my absolute favorite cars in the world, that GRILLE is the best looking made in 1950 by far, IMO. Even though it is a sedan, Buy it. The only cons I can think of are the 6 volt electrics, and the continental kit...takes away from the great rear end of the car.

Good luck! Is it an auto or a three speed. The three on the tree can be pricey to rebuild ( the shifter, not the tranny! )

Gorgeous car!!!

If you get it, dump that ugly Continental kit and put the bumper back where it belongs. :AH-HA_wink:

Agreed... the frenched headlights are stupid too.

Raven, you're giving up on the Electra too easily. This will be valuable experience for you, but you have to take it one step at a time. Rome wasn't built in a day. Edited by ocnblu

I'm going with my dad on fri. to talk to the guy who fixed my dads car. Im going to fix my breaks and get a new fuse panel installed first, just so the car is completely drivable. I guess we'll drop the electra off at the mechanic late that night...to avoid police and lots of traffic. Also have to put in a new exhaust. Then we are going to insure it and register it so we can take it for a paintjob and minor bodywork. Then in the fall it gets a heatercore.

Edited by Ravenfreak13

I did the heater core on my '64 Catalina after driving 45 minutes to hang with my buddies at the 24-hr gas station. Took about 30 minutes to change it (Cat did not have A/C). It's easy.

Bring it over, we'll shove her in the shop and bang it out.

Edited by balthazar

Yeah... don;t give up on old cars cause you're trying

to attempt bodywork and can not do by yourself w/

out experience what a body man gets paid $50/hour

to do in most circumastances.

no, i didnt drive it. I really dont care anymore....I am so fed up with old cars at this point. I can't get the heatercore out of the electra and my first attempt at body work failed. I now have a lumpy covered up dent.

Welcome to the world of classic cars, my friend.

One minute you'll love them, the next you'll loathe them and want to sell every last one.

Sometimes I feel that way about the 81 Bonneville and may sometimes about the 1985 Caprice but I wont give up on them just yet. Yes these arent 60s cars but they have their share of things that can go wrong. Luckily the transmissions on both are fairly new and the engines on both are in real good shape.