Flybrian

2009 Ford Flex

28 posts in this topic

Ford Flex to arrive in early 2008
Link to Original Article @ DetNews

The production version of Ford's all-new Flex won't arrive until the 2009 model year, although it will likely be an early entry in the 2009 lineup. A two-tone version like the concept shown at the New York auto show with a white roof will be offered, as well as a traditional monotone paint scheme as shown here all in white.

In addition, the Flex will offer an optional glass-roof version consisting of four separate skylights. The Flex will come standard as a front-wheel drive SUV, with an all-wheel drive option available.

Power is expected to come from a 3.5-liter V-6 with a minimum of 260-horsepower. A hybrid is expected to arrive a bit later. Look for the Flex to arrive in dealerships during the first or second quarter of 2008.

Looks better in a real world photo...I see retro-modernism going on in it's design.

It looks cool in a funky way, I guess. Really it's just a bigger, better-proportioned xB for the most part.

oh ford, you sillies, is this the equivalent of a lindsay lohan photo op for the paparazzi?

'tabloid journalism'. = free advertising. Maybe Ford PR finally has a clue.

by the way, i know the huge ass moonroofs are all the craze, but can I at least have the option of getting a plain sized sunroof? The edge I can't either.

Edited by regfootball

It's retro... in an '80s station wagon sort of way. How attractive.

Edited by blackviper8891

Hmm...looked very Xb-ish upon first sight...Retro cues aren't in a good way in my opinion. I really don't know what to think of it.

Ford's been hitting product pretty dead-on lately...I think this will do well as long as fuel economy is competitive. It reminds me too much of a van for me to really consider something like this seriously, but I think it looks pretty decent and stands out from the crowd. I don't know what Ford's targets are for the Flex, but I could see it doing 80,000 per year...hopefully without too much cannibalization of other Ford lines.

I like the ribbed sides (a nod to woodgrain?) and the blacked-out pillars make it look long and low. I think it's a handsome wagon. I just hate the name. This brings back memories of Ford's "Wagonmaster" theme. Country Squire or Fairlane would have suited this car fine.

It looks cool in a funky way, I guess. Really it's just a bigger, better-proportioned xB for the most part.

i agree

Country Squire would be a more appropriate name.

I really like the Flex and Ford really deserves it to be a hit since they did such an excellent job on it.

But I predict 1 of 3 things to happen...

1) The media will destroy it over stupid little touchy feely mundane details.

2) Ford will not sufficiently support it in marketing.

3) The american public who has somehow found the funky xB cool (Probably because they are sheep an the name Scion is associated with Toyota) will find nothing but disdain and disgust for this "eww** retro design"... "Why doesn't Ford be progressive like the imports, or Scion." (Yes, they are that dumb)

[i've now fulfilled my sarcastic asshole post allotment for the day, LOL]

Seriously though, I hope the Flex, dumb name and all, is a huge hit for Ford.

I think this one car you really just have to see in person. I saw several running around a few days ago and they actually look pretty good. They don't appear 40 yards long like they do in photos.

Edited by Chris_Doane

I don't think the Lambdas have much to worry about from the Flex. And why does Detroit News have such $h!ty-resolution images?

I don't think the Lambdas have much to worry about from the Flex.

Will the Chevy Lamda follow in the Flex's design shoes?

I think the production version is nicer than the show car was.

Another case of UUUUUGLEEEE fwd proportions.

Will the Chevy Lamda follow in the Flex's design shoes?

I think the production version is nicer than the show car was.

I expect the Chevy version to be the best Lambda in terms of interior design. I would not be surprised if the A-Pillar back was the same as the Acadia/Outlook and it just got a Chevy front fascia and maybe something slightly different in the rear.

I don't think it looks bad, but it looks too much like the Taurus X.

Like the car, lose the stupid name. A couple of square yards of faux wood and a few Country Squire badges... now that would be sweet.

I don't think it looks bad, but it looks too much like the Taurus X.

? Besides sharing the tri-bar grille, they look completely different.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well, at first glance I thought it did... I was too lazy to make a side by side comparison. Shame on me.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor