Delta Force79

What Are You Listening To?

How about some Cherry Bomb This morning? :P 

Not your thing, then I give ya some Magic Man.

• Upvote 1

Back to the 80's with a Fun song! Run Runaway

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

If I wasnt Greek, and I didnt love being Greek so much, then my second choice of what Id wanna be, then Id wanna be Eye-Talian. 

Una facia, una razza! 

Haha.  There's a lot of truth to that.  Greeks have left an indelible (still standing!) mark on Sicily and the southern provinces of Italy, at places like Paestum.

I haven't been to Greece as many times as I should have!  I've been to Athens and 3 islands.

I'd like to go to Athens and then to Corfu (Kerkyra) and get back to Italy from there ... on an overnight ferry ... that way, the passage is just a little bit more in $ than a hotel room and that includes a cabin.  It would nice to get up early and see the ferry approach the Italian coast at Bari or Brindisi ... both on the heel of the peninsula.

There's no place like the Med!

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1

Weird, but older singers tend to have more songs I like than newer singers. Fiona Apple, Some of her songs I really like, most I can just pass on. This is not bad, but a Pass for future listening.

She is so lovely, way better than Marlyn Monroe!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Haha.  There's a lot of truth to that.  Greeks have left an indelible (still standing!) mark on Sicily and the southern provinces of Italy, at places like Paestum.

I haven't been to Greece as many times as I should have!  I've been to Athens and 3 islands.

I'd like to go to Athens and then to Corfu (Kerkyra) and get back to Italy from there ... on an overnight ferry ... that way, the passage is just a little bit more in $ than a hotel room and that includes a cabin.  It would nice to get up early and see the ferry approach the Italian coast at Bari or Brindisi ... both on the heel of the peninsula.

There's no place like the Med!

Many Italians live in Corfu.  Not far away from Brindisi, hence a ferry route between Brindisi and Corfu.

My mom came from the island just below, the biggest in the Ionian. Kephalonia. I had a friend that came from Corfu, (his parents) and he often visited Italy when he went to Greece. 

Ive only been to Greece. Many times.  But Im dying to visit Italy. My daughter has a Eurotrip in a couple of years, and guess what? 

Her trip for her graduating year is...Switzerland and...ITALY!!!  She is sooooo happy. And I for her!!!

If you havent seen the movie Captain Correlli's Mandolin, I suggest you see it.   My mom's parents knew of the family (see it and you'll understand)  and I have a friend or two that were  extras in the movie.  

Thanks to the Romans, the Greek world survived. Rome conquered Greece, but because Rome wanted to model their empire along Greek culture, art, architecture, politics, language in trade routes, etc,  the cradle of Western civilization has been credited to the Greeks, but 'twas the Romans that spread and KEPT Hellenism around more than the Greeks themselves could have ever imagined.   So who conquered who???  LOL

I guess both cultures realize this and both of our cultures greatly respect one another.   This is what I adore.  1000s of years later and Italy tries to conquer Greece again, this time they lose, but because Germany had other plans, Greece fell to the Axis. When when the Italians became enemies of Germany, Greece and the Greeks protected the Italian soldiers from the Germans  towards the end of the war.  Una Faccia, una razza...1000s of years in the making...

Sicily...if Im not mistaken, Poseidon's son Polyphemus, from the island of the Cyclops, from Homer's Odyssey, is said to be, Sicily. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@oldshurst442

A lot of good info there!

As for video 1, someone needs to inform the person or party who uploaded it that they've misspelled the title.

It should be "C'e' La Luna Mezzo Mare" - apostrophe and accent over the e; no h.

They way it's spelled, with Che, means the person was thinking it would be pronounced like it is in Spanish.  It's not.  Instead, "che" would be pronounced as "keh" in Italian.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hah well if we are on an 80's vibe..

Listened to some this morning on the way to work but my fave from today was definitely this song/version.

• Like 1

Listening to Japanese Jazz while working today.

Whilst working and looking outside at cold, rainy gray overcast weather, listening to some shiny happy music..

• Upvote 1

@Robert Hall We need the Rain / Snow, Washington is moving into Drought conditions while the rest of the country has plenty of rain/snow. Please share. :P

Washington just had the driest November on record since they started keeping records.

8 minutes ago, dfelt said:

@Robert Hall We need the Rain / Snow, Washington is moving into Drought conditions while the rest of the country has plenty of rain/snow. Please share. :P

Washington just had the driest November on record since they started keeping records.

Unusual...

Fun fact:  one list of cloudiest cities in the US has Seattle at #1, Portland, Or at #2 and Cleveland at #5...woo hoo, made the top 5!   

• Upvote 1

If ya like background instrumental music, this I just happened on and have to say, great work background music.

• Upvote 1

Got a Mannheim Steamroller Christmas CD in a white elephant gift exchange.  I remember the name of 1 or 2 name hit songs they recorded and made it onto American Top 40 lists. 

In listening to this CD, there are some good cuts and this is one of them.

It has some remote vestiges of Christmas but new age and action movie soundtrack typologies also shine through.

Edited by trinacriabob

The preeminent musical artist of the genre, and that decade, and "MacArthur Park," probably her best song.  She eclipsed Richard Harris's original rendition in a big way.

Criticize disco/dance music all you want but it had it all - vocals, big band, complex instrumentals, and "driveability."  Today's pop music is mostly crap.

She belts out the lyrics and holds the notes effortlessly, the band is going strong, and the audience is pumped.

African-American artists and groups seemed to dominate this genre in the '70s but the baton got passed in the '80s to a modified kind of pop/dance, the likes of the "4 Bs": Blondie, Branigan, Benatar, and the Bengals, among others.

MacArthur Park is a real place and is in what was probably a decent neighborhood in L.A. some decades back.  Not so now.  Wilshire Blvd. cuts through it as it runs from DTLA to the ocean in Santa Monica.  My parents would take us there when we were little to see the ducks, pedal boats, and all that.  And it was safe to do that.

MacArthur_Park,_Los_Angeles,_CA,_USA_-_p

For a city of 4 million people, the downtown skyline isn't as impressive as you'd expect.  Cylindrical 73 story US Bank tower is the tallest in the photo.  Wilshire is seen to the left, complete with parking meters once you're a ways west of downtown.

RIP, Donna Summer.  You left us too soon.

Edited by trinacriabob

Went down to Kent and saw The Fixx last night, so listening to some fun '80s New Wave/Synth Pop today..

Edited by Robert Hall

One of the most "demented" but also entertaining and irritating songs in existence:

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

One of the most "demented" but also entertaining and irritating songs in existence:

A bit on the wild side....