Delta Force79

What Are You Listening To?

In the car, I heard the song "One Night in Bangkok," one of the worst songs ever created.  There were periodically some stupid songs.  Another one I  recently heard in the car was "Midnight at the Oasis" (not as bad). 

On 4/11/2019 at 11:23 AM, dfelt said:

Bangles - Hazy Shade of Winter - Recorded in 1986 for the 1987 Movie release of Less than Zero.

Loved the movie this song became popular again in "Less than Zero" Sexy hot statement of the time!

Both good.  Simon and Garfunkel's version isn't as lethargic as I recall it being.  However, the Bangles's rendition packs more energy.

It needed that extra energy to go along with an edgy movie about Beverly Hills kids with "too much time on (their) hands" ... yet another song.

Posted (edited)

Heard this last night driving home - good '80s music and Eddie Money's best song:

For David's mentioning of jazz artist Keiko Matsui, jazz guitarist Joyce Cooling has a song called "South of Market" released at about the time SOMA was becoming a much improved area of San Francisco.  Perfect music for crossing all the spans of the Bay Bridge with the traffic moving nicely on a foggy weekend morning ... and that's exactly where I first heard it on a Bay Area jazz station.

Edited by trinacriabob

Although his politics stink, this song is magnificent.  It speaks to me.  Take a close listen to the lyrics, and bask in the sunshine: 

• Downvote 1

OK, olds does not like Springsteen's work.  How about this?

Auto-Vehicle-Urun-Resim_11-01-2018-55274-800X600.jpg

• Like 1

I LOVE Springsteen's work...its your political stab at him I dont appreciate...

Like how YOU do when I say I dont trust Trump's administration...is what the reaction was

PS: the song is NOT about MAGA...

And HE has a right to his political views without YOU dissing him in an automotive forum. In a MAGA Amerca, HE has THAT right to his political views and SING about them...

• Upvote 1

Sry, forgot to add video to my above post: 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Looks like the porch from Hee Haw. That's some way-back sheet there, oldblu.

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Last I heard this version of this song was when this song was a hit. Whenever that was. If memory serves me well, 1984. I just knew of this group as the Honeydrippers.  This song was everywhere. It played non stop. It was a cool song. Great song! Great vocals! 

The Stray Cats were popular then too.  

I knew that Sea of Love was a cover back then, and I knew that Rock This Town was a tribute to 1950s Rock, and this tune made me think of Bill Haley...thanks in part to Happy Days. 

And then, well, both tunes faded into memory as the 1980s marched on with more awesome music.

So...Im in my car today, and the Honeydrippers Sea of Love is playing on the radio. So I listen to it with nostalgia.

But then, that voice. Oh sure...I remembered that voice from 1984: "Do you remember, when we met...I want to tell you, how much I love you...come with me, to the sea..."   I remembered  just how awesome those vocals are. 

But THIS time, Im also  identifying that voice with other stuff...I cant put my finger on it....I am positive that I know that voice. It escapes me and then the song is over.   

Honeydrippers rushes to the front of my memory banks. 

So I google.  

ROBERT PLANT???!!!

"Waaaaaay down inside...Woooman!  Yoouuuu need!   Loooooove!"

Image result for mars attacks head explode gif

MIND PHOQUING BLOWN!!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

So...Im in my car today, and the Honeydrippers Sea of Love is playing on the radio. So I listen to it with nostalgia.

But then, that voice. Oh sure...I remembered that voice from 1984: "Do you remember, when we met...I want to tell you, how much I love you...come with me, to the sea..."   I remembered  just how awesome those vocals are. 

But THIS time, Im also  identifying that voice with other stuff...I cant put my finger on it....I am positive that I know that voice. It escapes me and then the song is over.   

Honeydrippers rushes to the front of my memory banks. 

So I google.  

ROBERT PLANT???!!!

"Waaaaaay down inside...Woooman!  Yoouuuu need!   Loooooove!"

Image result for mars attacks head explode gif

MIND PHOQUING BLOWN!!!!

Yeah, great voice...he was also in another band you may have heard of, 'Led Zeppelin'.    A solo song of his I really like is 'Ship of Fools' from '88.      The song 'Sea of Love' was also used in the film 'Sea of Love' IIRC...a murder mystery w/ Al Pacino and Ellen Barkin.     I saw Robert Plant on a solo tour about 10 years ago, he's great live. 

And the Stray Cats guy later formed a band called 'The Brian Setzer Orchestra'. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, great voice...he was also in another band you may have heard of, 'Led Zeppelin'.    A solo song of his I really like is 'Ship of Fools' from '88.      The song 'Sea of Love' was also used in the film 'Sea of Love' IIRC...a murder mystery w/ Al Pacino and Ellen Barkin.     I saw Robert Plant on a solo tour about 10 years ago, he's great live. 

And the Stray Cats guy later formed a band called 'The Brian Setzer Orchestra'. 

I learned about Led Zeppelin relatively late in my life. As compared to other music artists that I learned about and listened to before my time. 

I was in my mid 20s when I discovered them. As you could see, the Honeydrippers had come and gone a loooong time before I could make that connection. 

And I never saw the movie. Probably the only movie with Al Pacino in it that I did not see.(False Claim...Ive seen many of his films, but he made a lot of films) I remember the commercials for it on TV, but I never got the chance to rent it on VHS.  Strangely enough, I dont ever recall  seeing it at any video rental shelf that I was a member at. I would have rented it otherwise. 

I heard that Led Zeppelin gave awesome concerts back in the day. Yeah...he would as a solo artist too. 

I dont know Ship of Fools. 1st time I hear it.  And I like it!!!   His vocals are awesome. Love the guitar work in the song.  Strong drums too. Good song! 

Im more familiar with the Stray Cats and The Brian Setzer Orchestra though. That would be during my time.  Not popular with my  circle of friends, but I was a fan. 

Edited by oldshurst442

Yeah, growing up w/ Baby Boomer siblings and MTV through the 80s I got exposed to a lot of classic rock at an early age...

57 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, growing up w/ Baby Boomer siblings and MTV through the 80s I got exposed to a lot of classic rock at an early age...

Me too!

And plenty of “oldies”.... 🙂 

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:19 PM, oldshurst442 said:

I'm more familiar with the Stray Cats and The Brian Setzer Orchestra though. That would be during my time.  Not popular with my  circle of friends, but I was a fan. 

LOL, I also was exposed to Led Zepplin later in life, grew up on Big Band music, played trumpet and piano in the past, now just listen to others more talented than I was. Stray Cats and Depeche Mode were my jam! :metal:

• Upvote 1

Balthy with his cherry pics of...cherry dresses and 'smoking' hot tomato girls ...has got me thinking about this song

• Haha 1

Happy Monday Everyone!

On 6/10/2019 at 11:53 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

Happy Pride! 🏳️‍🌈

My song for the season.

Just heard it on the radio too...😁