Delta Force79

What Are You Listening To?

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2019 at 10:36 AM, balthazar said:

I was expecting ‘Cherry Pie’ by Warrant.

I just this response.

Nah. Cherry Pie is...everything wrong with today's music. Composed by a formula.  

At least Cherry Bomb would be one of those songs that the producers use(d) as a basis for a...formula.

PS:  I often fall victim to these formula produced songs though...I aint sayin I like falling prey to these songs, but I will admit that...hey...some of it does work on me.

Edited by oldshurst442

9 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Nah. Cherry Pie is...everything wrong with today's music. Composed by a formula.  

But; released in 1990.
I was joking. Its really only very recently I've been very rarely listening to some stuff from the '80s - the forumalic approach is what has more often pushed me to free-form ambient stuff. Unfortunately, youtube sees it fit to insert multiple ads in a continuous flow music video. 

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

But; released in 1990.
I was joking. Its really only very recently I've been very rarely listening to some stuff from the '80s - the forumalic approach is what has more often pushed me to free-form ambient stuff. Unfortunately, youtube sees it fit to insert multiple ads in a continuous flow music video. 

This "formulaic style" started in the 1980s if Im not mistaken.  Actually, it started in the 1950s, but it was less rampant...again, if Im not mistaken.

I enjoyed your joke though.  Because I would normally post a cheesy 1980s hair metal band song or disco tune in a discussion like that!!!  

Went to a fun show this evening at the House of Blues in Cleveland... 3 bands-- BT's synthpop/electronic outfit 'All Hail the Silence',  'Men Without Hats' (best known for the 80s song 'Safety Dance'--didn't realize they were from Montreal), and the headliner--Howard Jones. Saw HoJo last year, but that was a different venue and was just him and piano, this was a full band w/ lots of synthesizers and his keytar.   Great evening. 

• Like 1

Still can’t get past the 90s songs on the oldies stations....

• Upvote 1

Quite simply an amazing song and even more amazing live. It was also lyrical perfection but in fairness, I have always been a huge Cornell fan.

Chris Cornell “When I’m Down”

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Went to a fun show this evening at the House of Blues in Cleveland... 3 bands-- BT's synthpop/electronic outfit 'All Hail the Silence',  'Men Without Hats' (best known for the 80s song 'Safety Dance'--didn't realize they were from Montreal), and the headliner--Howard Jones. Saw HoJo last year, but that was a different venue and was just him and piano, this was a full band w/ lots of synthesizers and his keytar.   Great evening. 

I was always painfully aware.

I dont know how popular this group was or how popular Safety Dance was outside of Montreal and Canada (apparently the song was like super popular)  but that song never stopped playing on Montreal pop radio in the 1980s.

Hey...I was a young boy when the song came out. I liked it. I loved it even. But by the time I became a teenager...you. know..enough is enough!!!

They had another cute hit. Pop Goes the World. This song didnt get the same amount of airplay as Safety Dance, but it played enough times for me to HATE HATE HATE it nowadays.   I liked it then though...when I was a young boy.  

Outside of those 2 songs...not much else that I know of.

They made a song called Sideways. I liked it. But I dont think it faired to well...

Edited by oldshurst442

2 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I dont know how popular this group was or how popular Safety Dance was outside of Montreal and Canada (apparently the song was like super popular)  but that song never stopped playing on Montreal pop radio in the 1980s.

Hey...I was a young boy when the song came out. I liked it. I loved it even. But by the time I became a teenager...you. know..enough is enough!!!

They had another cute hit. Pop Goes the World. This song didnt get the same amount of airplay as Safety Dance, but it played enough times for me to HATE HATE HATE it nowadays.   I liked it then though...when I was a young boy.  

They made a song called Sideways. I liked it. But I dont think it faired to well...

They played those 3 songs and few more that I didn't recognize. I think only one member there now is from the original band.   Safety Dance was all over the radio and MTV in 1983, hit #2 on the US charts, was on the charts 24 weeks..couldn't escape it when I was 13.  Was fun to hear live.   Fun stuff...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I had no idea they were Canadian, that explains why it seemed their videos were on Much Music so much.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, frogger said:

I had no idea they were Canadian, that explains why it seemed their videos were on Much Music so much.  

yeah...

By the mid-80s, everytime Pop Goes The World or Safety Dance would come on or finish, the DJ would ALMOST ALWAYS say "Montreal's own..." 

18 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Safety Dance was all over the radio and MTV in 1983, hit #2 on the US charts, was on the charts 24 weeks..couldn't escape it when I was 13.  Was fun to hear live.   Fun stuff...

Yes! It was fun!

MTV...up here in Montreal...we did not get MTV  :(   until much much later.    

We got...

17 minutes ago, frogger said:

Much Music.   Which was not like MTV.

On the plus side, we also got the French version:  Musique Plus. Which made up for not having MTV...

Posted (edited)

I had a FLASHBACK to Much Music

HONEYMOON SUITE

I was hooked on those 3 songs!   

(Canuck Rock RULES!!!)

Edited by oldshurst442

Getting my Big 80s vibe on tonight with some Roxy Music, from 1980's 'Flesh + Blood'...

If you listen to nothing else I post here... listen to this

38 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

If you listen to nothing else I post here... listen to this

But my 'streak'….!

• Haha 1

Can't hear anything but the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Depeche Mode :P 

@oldshurst442 I hope you're not a fan of Montrealer Gino Vannelli.  Haha ... as '80s as they came!  Actually, he's a McGill grad, as is William Shatner.  That's impressive.

I found it!  Summer of '96 and putting around in a rented Peugeot econobox in Portugal's Algarve ... (I believe it's Alex Natale and not Bob Marley) 

• Like 1

@trinacriabob

Just a couple of songs that I really really loved from him.

I wasnt a fan of his per se.  But those two songs I really really loved then...and now. 

Same with Corey Hart.  Although with Corey Hart, I was more of a fan.

He married  a French Quebec singer, he himself being half French and half English. Julie Masse. 

There were a couple of songs I liked from her too back in the day. Including the one I posted down below. 

Pagliaro...from the 1970s had a few hits as well.  Like Gino Vanelli, I still love these  songs from him.  I was too young to be a true fan,  but these two songs define  MY Montreal for me.  Ive had some great summer nights listening to these songs with some awesome French people that I befriended along the way as one would when one loves his city and its people.  Drinking beer on a stereotypical Montreal home balcony or pub terrasse...

And April Wine...

Although originally from Nova Scotia from our beloved Maritimes, they did make Montreal their home.

These guys....again, were a tad before my time, but these guys, I was and continue to be a fan of. 

CANUCK ROCK RULES!!!!

eh

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

eh

What?  Be bold.  Speak up.

• Haha 2

EH

Can you HEAR me NOW?

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1