NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GM's Truckloads of Cash: Will It Put The Brakes on Toyota?

40 posts in this topic

Tuesday, 10 Jul 2007

GM's Truckloads of Cash: Will It Put The Brakes on Toyota?

Posted By:Phil LeBeau

Posted Image

Forget the ads touting which full size pick-up has more hauling capacity, or which one can stop just before going over the edge of a cliff, or even which truck makes you feel more American, rural, or cowboy. None of that matters.

Here's what talks with truck buyers: cash. The more the better. And right now, pick-up buyers are picking up deals that have them sitting in the catbird seat. In fact, GM is doubling the cash back it's offering people who buy a new Chevy Silverado or GMC Sierra. That's an extra $1,000 on top of 0% financing.

Why would GM throw out such a an offer on new trucks that just came out last fall? To keep up with Toyota

that's why. Yes, the Japanese automaker is finally hurting the Big 3 where it really hurts--in pick-up sales. Last month, thanks to generous deals including 0% financing, Toyota Tundra sales shot up 21%. Meanwhile GM's total sales in June plunged thanks to weaker than expected truck sales. When I talked with people in motown last week, it was clear the hit in truck sales is not sitting well with American auto executives.

Since GM is #1 in trucks, and trucks are the vehicle in terms of profit, the boys in Detroit are giving dealers more ammunition to win over buyers. Will it help stop the erosion is sales? Perhaps at first. But this is not a long solution. Greater incentives hurt GM profit margins on trucks.

Unfortunately, the Big 3 incentive genie is out of the bottle and may be here for a while. Toyota is getting the Tundra sales it wants (2007 goal: roughly 200,000 annual sales) with greater incentives. If they have to keep rolling out 0% financing, the guys at Toyota will do that.

All of this is good for pick-up buyers who want a deal. These are the best offers in roughly a year, and they aren't going away. For those of you who think Toyota's truck strategy is "all hat, no cowboy", think again. With richer rebates and 0% financing the Tundra is ready to take on the big buyers

The problem is Toyota can afford to give their Tundras away for free if they must to get the 200K/year unit number. GM matching even the $3500 for the Tundra is taking away what little profitability potential they have.

The problem is Toyota can afford to give their Tundras away for free if they must to get the 200K/year unit number. GM matching even the $3500 for the Tundra is taking away what little profitability potential they have.

Exactly..this doesn't seem like it will bode well for GM. *sigh* Always gotta be bad news somewhere around the corner.

I have been contemplating turning in our 2006 crew cab GMC for a new Body style...but that is just going to be one unit.

Toyota is evil...I just wish people could see it like I do. Nothing good comes from destroying the home industry and helping the Japanese make thiers stronger - yet that is exactly what is happening here. High gas prices are helping Toyota due to years of brainwashing that told the American consumer ( read: IDIOTS ) that to get any mileage at all, you have to buy foreign cars. People are finding out the hard way that it is not always the case with the Japanese brands, but by then they are already in the car and can do nothing about it. America lost a sale, and the Japanese got stronger again. And the yuppie in the Toyota is telling everyone what a superior car it is because he doesn't want to look stupid, and the cycle continues.

I have been contemplating turning in our 2006 crew cab GMC for a new Body style...but that is just going to be one unit.

Toyota is evil...I just wish people could see it like I do. Nothing good comes from destroying the home industry and helping the Japanese make thiers stronger - yet that is exactly what is happening here. High gas prices are helping Toyota due to years of brainwashing that told the American consumer ( read: IDIOTS ) that to get any mileage at all, you have to buy foreign cars. People are finding out the hard way that it is not always the case with the Japanese brands, but by then they are already in the car and can do nothing about it. America lost a sale, and the Japanese got stronger again. And the yuppie in the Toyota is telling everyone what a superior car it is because he doesn't want to look stupid, and the cycle continues.

Two reasons why Toyota will always win this type of war:

1) ZERO PERCENT financing from the Bank of Japan

2) Toyota does not have to answer to Wall Street.

Plus the other dozen or so reason, like legacy costs, etc. But the two biggies are above. All GM could hope to do is shake out Ford or Chrysler, like what happened in the mid-1950s.

Toyota is getting the Tundra sales it wants (2007 goal: roughly 200,000 annual sales)

Just read on these boards last week that toyota only moved 69,000 turdras in 6 months- my abacus says that's on target for 138,000, far far shy of 200,000 and barely over the mark of the '06. Also read somewhere online that some dealers are putting $5000 on the hoods to move them. THIS is overturning GM????????

Where is this guy coming from??

Two reasons why Toyota will always win this type of war:

1) ZERO PERCENT financing from the Bank of Japan

2) Toyota does not have to answer to Wall Street.

Plus the other dozen or so reason, like legacy costs, etc. But the two biggies are above. All GM could hope to do is shake out Ford or Chrysler, like what happened in the mid-1950s.

1) From http://secfilings.nasdaq.com/filingFramese...2F2007&pdf=

"Toyota’s short-term borrowings consist of loans with a weighted-average interest rate of 3.17% and commercial paper with a weighted-average interest rate of 4.95%."

"Toyota’s long-term debt consists of unsecured and secured loans, medium-term notes, unsecured notes and long-term capital lease obligations with interest rates ranging from 0.01% to 18.00%, and maturity dates ranging from 2007 to 2047."

"At March 31, 2007, approximately 39% of long-term debt was denominated in U.S. dollars, 24% in Japanese yen, 11% in euros and 26% in other currencies."

The current BOJ rate is 0.5%.

What percentage of Toyota's debt is at 0% from the BOJ?

2) Yes, they are. They trade on the New York Stock Exchange. The information above is from an SEC filing.

Edited by GXT

Another Toyota jack off piece...

It seems that the GM sales results for June is starting up the haters again... This will probably be the beginning of the end, honestly.

1) I fail to see how Toyota is hurting GM in any way since they are capped at "roughly 200,000 units"

2) I love how even when Toyota blatantly scales back it's ambitions (roughly 200,000 as opposed to OVER 200,000) and bribes consumers to buy it's products ($3500-$5000 INCENTIVES---That's what the media said when Detroit was doing it) it's failures are mitigated and it is somehow putting the screws to Detroit.

3) Toyota will own this market soon enough as well. Detroit is for all intents and purposes dead, it's just a matter of time. I hate to be that negative, but it's time to start preparing ourselves for the worst (and for me, it's time to start building more hatred towards both this country and the yuppies that control it)

4) Remember my post about GM sitting idly by while the imports take yet another segment, in which I highlighted the more braison Turdra/Titan ads.... Well, looks like those ads are working.

5) I love the "I told you so, domestic fan" Toyota rally cry at the end of the article. Toyota juices the incentives (Looks like they'll bleed GM & Ford dry now instead of just killing them) and instead of being called stupid, like Detroit was, all of the sudden the japs have 'a serious truck program'

I love the spin.

How many GMT-900's have been sold since January 1, 2007?

How many Toyota Tundras have been sold since January 1, 2007?

GM has the best full size truck on the market,

sales that are ytd above expectations,

has the lowest incentives of any manufacturer,

has had uno, one, single, solitary bad month, not coincidentally right before contract negotiations,

and the Toyota Twats come out singing the tales of woe and doom?

Please.

We've known all along that Toyota and Japan Inc. is going for the jugular.

We knew that in 1980 when Mike Wallace went to Japan and interviewed the Toyota workers there.

The hatred that they have for Americans was more than palpable, it was directly spoken.

The tatamae is that GM is still kicking Toyota's ass in the full size truck market.

Toyota would love for you to believe otherwise. Unfortunately, the truth is not on Toyota's side on this one.

Toyota blinked first, with a plant more than $400 million over budget, at the edge of schedule, and suppliers asked to kick in even more.

Toyota blinked first with the 2nd highest incentives in the market and a cheaply made truck that sucks gas like a courtesan sucks a golf ball through a garden hose.

I've even had the fun experience of posting links to $199 Tundra lease deals.

4-star safety for the regular cab is a glaring defeat for Toyota engineering.

And then the crew cab couldn't do any better.

Stamped metal control arms and c-channel flex-frame?

Larger panel gaps to hide the poor fit and finish and lack of precise engineering?

Texas-sized swaths of cheap silver plastic everywhere?

Ergonomics? Toyota's cabin reeks of lack of focus and foresight.

My neighbor has a red Tundra and you would not belleve how cheap and faded the paint already looks.

Maybe he bought the $.50 Tundra special, who knows.

The date was laid in the sand by Toyota long ago.

First it was over 200,000, now it's merely 200,000.

But that date of destiny is approaching fast.

Mark your calendars. Get the fireworks ready.

Because on December 31, 2007, time is up for Toyota.

"Toyota’s short-term borrowings consist of loans with a weighted-average interest rate of 3.17% and commercial paper with a weighted-average interest rate of 4.95%."

"Toyota’s long-term debt consists of unsecured and secured loans, medium-term notes, unsecured notes and long-term capital lease obligations with interest rates ranging from 0.01% to 18.00%, and maturity dates ranging from 2007 to 2047."

"At March 31, 2007, approximately 39% of long-term debt was denominated in U.S. dollars, 24% in Japanese yen, 11% in euros and 26% in other currencies."

2) Yes, they are. They trade on the New York Stock Exchange. The information above is from an SEC filing.

And which SEC officials have flown to Tokyo to verify this information? Would MITI even allow that? Sorry, but with the way MITI sticklandled visas for lawyers in many, many cases where American companies sought discovery from Japanese companies who wronged them, I wouldn't believe ANY paper Toyota allowed to be published here.

Call up legal counsel for Houdaille in Texas (that is, if they are still in business) and see how their court case went. Japan is not a free market and we are foolish for believing that they are. Look at the way "foreign" ownership is handled in Europe and North America, then compare that with the way we are forced to do business in Asia. Not even close, yet still we allow them a free hand over here - all in the name of capitalism, free trade and freedom of choice.

Clearly, with the kind of money Toyota is making these days, it doesn't need 0% loans from BOJ; however, Tokyo wouldn't hesitate to help out if Toyota's march to world domination ever faltered.

i don't know where these tundras are selling. i see almost none here in import humping mpls. no farmers, no contractors. PLENTY of new silverados.

if someone in a rural community in iowa, dakotas, nebm mn, or parts of wi bought a tundra, they would likely need to buy a bulletproof vest too. especially if the deer hunters were drinking that weekend. or hopefully no tundras driving down mainstreet at closing time at the small town bar.

Edited by regfootball

Toyota does not trade on the NYSE. What trades on the NYSE are American depository receipts—an American trust bank (or banks) holds shares in Toyota, and sells "depository receipts" representing a certain number of Toyota shares. Thus the value of the ADRs is not directly related to the stock price in Tokyo, nor does ownership of ADRs confer any voting rights at the company's AGM if you don't like the strategy. You can buy every single ADR listed on the NYSE and you will not have a single shred of control over Toyota's board.

Toyota does not trade on the NYSE. What trades on the NYSE are American depository receipts—an American trust bank (or banks) holds shares in Toyota, and sells "depository receipts" representing a certain number of Toyota shares. Thus the value of the ADRs is not directly related to the stock price in Tokyo, nor does ownership of ADRs confer any voting rights at the company's AGM if you don't like the strategy. You can buy every single ADR listed on the NYSE and you will not have a single shred of control over Toyota's board.

Very clever. Sorry I missed that. Again, not one single American citizen (or Canadian) can hop on a plane and buy property or a company in Japan. Period. We do not have the same rights over there. Yet, we allow them cart blanche to buy up whatever they want over here.

The chickens are coming home to roost.

Hardly see any in Iowa, at least not me. I have seen 3 in my town! That is it. A town of 60,000 people! I saw alot in Utah, Idaho, and Oregon. Tons of the new Turds. Trust me it was scary. Once in Wyoming and Nebraska I saw hardly any... Hmmm. Maybe the liberals in Oregon like new Turds.

We can sit here and argue the numbers etc till the cows come home. Common sense dictates that its product that'll win the day. Its high time that GM hit back at Toyota with their own weapons, if they aren't doing so already. Get on with it GM, lets get cracking!

bottom line for me. if i needed a truck, i totally would trust the ford or chevy.

i know this from personal family experience, friends, realtives, and the loads of them around. Many from even 30 years ago.

i know that the chevy and ford are built for the jobs intended.

no 'optimized engineering' shortcuts. no thin sheetmetal. no weak frames. no asian engineer trying to squeeze the last turd out of the rabbit and making a bolt or screw so small it fails.

so, i don't even consider a tundra, no matter how cheap it is, or how good toyota's position is right now. if others want to buy into the hype, fine with me. I just hope they are ok when their camshaft falls apart.

Edited by regfootball

Instead of putting cash on the hood (or bed in this case), why doesn't GM just put the 6.2L as the top engine? I'm kinda tired of hearing about the Tundra's most available horsepower.

Hmmm...in the land of the F-150s, I think I've seen like two Tundras...

Lots of Ford, Chevy, and Dodge....

Heck, I see more Titans......

and I would buy a truck based on those same reasons as reg...though I would add I would like to keep the profit here..... :thumbsup:

Instead of putting cash on the hood (or bed in this case), why doesn't GM just put the 6.2L as the top engine? I'm kinda tired of hearing about the Tundra's most available horsepower.

But it's only the idiots that are buying the Tundra at this stage. The real truck buyers know enough to buy a 2500 if they have heavy work to do. Let the import humpers buy the Tundra, then after the 5th warranty claim in six months, maybe they will reconsider domestic when their Camry lease is up.

(okay, I am dreaming)

Hardly see any in Iowa, at least not me. I have seen 3 in my town! That is it. A town of 60,000 people! I saw alot in Utah, Idaho, and Oregon. Tons of the new Turds. Trust me it was scary. Once in Wyoming and Nebraska I saw hardly any... Hmmm. Maybe the liberals in Oregon like new Turds.

I've seen plenty of Tundras here in Colorado..and in Phoenix. I have yet to see a regular cab Tundra, though...all I see (pretty much for any pickup I see in suburbia) are extended cabs and crew cabs...

But it's only the idiots that are buying the Tundra at this stage. The real truck buyers know enough to buy a 2500 if they have heavy work to do. Let the import humpers buy the Tundra, then after the 5th warranty claim in six months, maybe they will reconsider domestic when their Camry lease is up.

(okay, I am dreaming)

You are unbelieveable...this is exactly why I can't take your opinions seriously....

1. Only idiots are buying Tundras? C'mon....I can agree that the Tundra is not a class leader...I can agree that it's a flawed product in certain ways...but are people who, generally, have had positive experiences with other Toyota products 'idiots' for buying this one? You get your panties in a bunch when anyone hurls negatives at mediocre GM products---but calling everyone buying a Tundra an idoit is just the most assinnine thing I've ever heard.

Lemme ask you...are Aura buyers all idiots because the vehicle they purchased isn't 'class leading' or because its flawed? Whats good for the goose....

2. Toyota has not yet introed an HD model of this truck. Why bring this up at all?

3. Where are the stats for the high number of warranty claims? Is the average buyer taking the Tundra in once a month for warranty work? Is the worst example 5x in 6 months? Yuo're picking BS numbers out of your ass to make a point. I haven't heard of any TSBs or recalls for this product. And I certainly haven't seen a whole lot of them in the service department.

at least if you sounded like a rational human being, I could take what you write seriously, but really, man. People in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks...you're taking every blind import humpers BS and recycling it for your own use. You don't see the bitter irony in that?

You are unbelieveable...this is exactly why I can't take your opinions seriously....

1. Only idiots are buying Tundras? C'mon....I can agree that the Tundra is not a class leader...I can agree that it's a flawed product in certain ways...but are people who, generally, have had positive experiences with other Toyota products 'idiots' for buying this one? You get your panties in a bunch when anyone hurls negatives at mediocre GM products---but calling everyone buying a Tundra an idoit is just the most assinnine thing I've ever heard.

Lemme ask you...are Aura buyers all idiots because the vehicle they purchased isn't 'class leading' or because its flawed? Whats good for the goose....

2. Toyota has not yet introed an HD model of this truck. Why bring this up at all?

3. Where are the stats for the high number of warranty claims? Is the average buyer taking the Tundra in once a month for warranty work? Is the worst example 5x in 6 months? Yuo're picking BS numbers out of your ass to make a point. I haven't heard of any TSBs or recalls for this product. And I certainly haven't seen a whole lot of them in the service department.

at least if you sounded like a rational human being, I could take what you write seriously, but really, man. People in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks...you're taking every blind import humpers BS and recycling it for your own use. You don't see the bitter irony in that?

You can cherry-pick my remarks, if you'd like. Let me spell it out for you, because you obviously can't read.

Bowtie was asking why doesn't GM just supply a bigger engine in this class so Toyota would stop bragging having the most available power in 'this' class. 'This' being light duty. I responded that 'serious' buyers know enough to go for the HD line of pick up trucks because they are designed for heavier use.

Yes, Toyota does not offer an HD line up. Maybe never will. If you want to tow more than 5,000 lbs on a regular basis, I would want nothing but a 2500 or better underneath me. Nobody should be towing that kind of weight with a 1500 and if Toyota claims to be all things to all people - well, compromises have to be made between ride and capacity (or haven't you seen the Ford video on YouTube?)

As to my 'idiot' remark :rolleyes: Here you and I go again: A PERSON WOULD HAVE TO HAVE HOLES IN THEIR HEAD TO DELIBERATELY PAY $130 A MONTH MORE FOR A LOADED TUNDRA THAN A LOADED SILVERADO.

That would make them an idiot, right? Oh, that's right: you're rich and don't think price/cost of ownership/value matter, right? :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

You keep on carping about "class-leading" this and "class-leading" that. Why is that? Neither the Camry or the Aura are "class-leading" at anything, but they both do most things well, and the Aura will do it far more cheaply.

The GM pick ups are proven. They are the benchmarks. They outsell every other vehicle on the planet, but there you go again, Enzl, justifying anything that Toyota throws on the market and expects people to line up for. This is Toyota's 3rd kick at the can, and the Tundra still falls up short. (4-star crash rating, exploding camshafts.......)

People like you won't be satisfied until every person is convinced that Toyota can do no wrong and GM/Ford are total crap.

And as the point has been made aleady: CAMSHAFTS DON'T COME IN BOXES OF TWENTY.

I don't know what your true agenda is, Enzl. You seem to be contrarian just for the sake of being contrarian - and you like to get personal about it.

I GUESS I MUST BE GETTING TO YOU, HUH? <_<

You can cherry-pick my remarks, if you'd like. Let me spell it out for you, because you obviously can't read.

Bowtie was asking why doesn't GM just supply a bigger engine in this class so Toyota would stop bragging having the most available power in 'this' class. 'This' being light duty. I responded that 'serious' buyers know enough to go for the HD line of pick up trucks because they are designed for heavier use.

Yes, Toyota does not offer an HD line up. Maybe never will. If you want to tow more than 5,000 lbs on a regular basis, I would want nothing but a 2500 or better underneath me. Nobody should be towing that kind of weight with a 1500 and if Toyota claims to be all things to all people - well, compromises have to be made between ride and capacity (or haven't you seen the Ford video on YouTube?)

As to my 'idiot' remark :rolleyes: Here you and I go again: A PERSON WOULD HAVE TO HAVE HOLES IN THEIR HEAD TO DELIBERATELY PAY $130 A MONTH MORE FOR A LOADED TUNDRA THAN A LOADED SILVERADO.

That would make them an idiot, right? Oh, that's right: you're rich and don't think price/cost of ownership/value matter, right? :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

You keep on carping about "class-leading" this and "class-leading" that. Why is that? Neither the Camry or the Aura are "class-leading" at anything, but they both do most things well, and the Aura will do it far more cheaply.

The GM pick ups are proven. They are the benchmarks. They outsell every other vehicle on the planet, but there you go again, Enzl, justifying anything that Toyota throws on the market and expects people to line up for. This is Toyota's 3rd kick at the can, and the Tundra still falls up short. (4-star crash rating, exploding camshafts.......)

People like you won't be satisfied until every person is convinced that Toyota can do no wrong and GM/Ford are total crap.

And as the point has been made aleady: CAMSHAFTS DON'T COME IN BOXES OF TWENTY.

I don't know what your true agenda is, Enzl. You seem to be contrarian just for the sake of being contrarian - and you like to get personal about it.

I GUESS I MUST BE GETTING TO YOU, HUH? <_<

I was only countering an absurd set of statements. I personally could care less, as I've got a billion dollar set of businesses to help run---

I've got no agenda, but I can see that you do....just like any mediocre car salesman, you take half-truths and outright BS and twist it into a post that futhers your agenda....

My deeper purpose in objecting to your posts is that people here (for some god-forsaken reason) look to you as someone who knows the retailing/sales end of the business. You truthfully show little knowlege outside of your immediate realm, yet feel compelled to make statements that appear to have some basis in reality.

There's nothing I've ever said on this site that I couldn't back up with facts....you continually go to the well with knee-jerk defenses of the indefensible...the Optra? The Cobalt? I'm sure you can 'sell' a payment sensitive individual ice in winter, but when you start in with the "it's good for the price" I know you really a. Don't know the business in a macro sense and b. are stuck on a showroom floor chasing people out the door with statements like "It's $30 less a month than that Civic...sir.....sir, please....come back...."

I carp about the quality and brand equity and perception because that's what matters! That's going to change things for the better for GM! You want to be the Wal-Mart of cars...I see that as exactly the thinking that got GM, Ford and Chrysler into the pickle they are in. People aren't coming to the site, seeing my posts and avoiding your showroom...you are giving me too much credit.

I recommend to MY friends and family that they buy the best vehicle for them at the best price they can reasonably find...if its domestic (and I regularly boost GMT900's, vettes, smaller Fords, Lambdas, amoungst others) than so be it---if it's not its not. Many times, I tell them to go to competitors if I know its going to be more convenient or a better deal there---I make no apologies for my insistence upon excellence---I don't need to sell anybody anything---that's what I hire people like you to do. That being said, much as I don't take management advice from salesmen, I'm not taking industry information from you---you're a flat out liar in this regard and YOU are doing your fellow posters a disservice by filling their heads with nonsense and BS.

The truth is that you are a BS artist that can't face the ugly truth that if something IMMEDIATE isn't done, none of us will have Chevy franchises to go to work to at all....

Edited by enzl

I read your remarks last night, had a good chuckle and decided not to grace them with a reply. I’ve clearly hit a nerve and your personal attacks have only degenerated this discourse into a ‘pissing contest.’ Again.

However, I copied our postings to a few others, read their comments and have reconsidered.

Sir, I am not a BS artist. I am truly, deeply hurt that you don’t agree with my remarks. Perhaps I was a little harsh in calling Tundra buyers “idiots” (and, BTW, if you are currently driving one, so sad for you), but when I can sell a customer (or a friend) a Silverado for $135 a month less than the same equipped Tundra – well, why is that BS?

I understand and respect your position (whatever that is) within the auto industry, but why do you feel that your opinion is any more valid than others? Your condescension and disdain for the sales staff that work “under” you is clear – and that is undoubtedly part of the problem.

In your recent postings, you spat venom for the “mom and pop” operations out there, yet I have seen you spit vitriol toward the “elitists’ in the RenCen as well. Remember, sir: when you point fingers at other people, 3 fingers are pointing directly back at you.

Perhaps the ivory tower is all yours. Ownership and management have become increasingly disconnected. It is your attitude that you have a ‘billion dollar set of businesses to run’ that stains your elitist remarks. I may be a ‘lowly’ salesman in your mind, but my conscience is clear. You do not know me, and yet you dare to presume that you do. Your contempt for ‘your’ sales staff, which I have seen in the eyes of some General Managers and Dealer’s, marks your every rant. Maybe if more people like you were ‘forced’ to drive the Optra or the Cobalt, instead of Beemers and Lexus, then those models would be all they could be.

For your information (and let me make this clear: I do not care what you may think of this ghost in the internet, but as you pointed out, others may be watching), I have and do direct customers and friends to other brands when I feel they can do better. Just last week a rather large man could not fit in the Equinox and admitted to having sat in the Acadia (out of his budget) and Tahoe already (also out of his budget.) After more discussion, I sent him to a Ford store to consider the Explorer, which is both a decent vehicle AND a good deal at this point. I am in this for the long haul and this man will remember my dealership and me in the future.

I wonder where your anger is coming from. I do not pretend to be anything I am not. I readily admit that my remarks are based on what I observe as happening in the Greater Toronto market, but are also based on discussions with my friends/associates at other dealers, readings on this board and others. Do you have special access to Lutz’s office? Do you possess an engineering degree, along with your other numerous noteworthy accomplishments?

If you read my postings, I have complained about the Cobalt and Malibu’s interiors, I, too, wish for the vaunted 6 spd. automatic to arrive. I live GM’s failings (and successes) every day, but I don’t believe they need to be exhaustively re-hashed on C&G when there are plenty of other sources that relentlessly bash Detroit, of which I am sure you are aware of every single one.

I don’t need to chase the customer out the door, as you have imagined, since most of my business is from repeat and referral customers; however, I acknowledge that many people are on a budget while you mindlessly refuse to acknowledge that Toyota and Honda are currently over-priced. What else would you call the Tundra, as compared to the F-150 or Silverado, to get back on track a little bit? Don’t give me that crap about the market determining the price, because it is people in the pockets of Japan Inc who are influencing the market by spreading their disinformation and poison every day. Or do you not admit the possibility that the media is creating the news today, rather than reporting it? Those who have sold their souls over to the imports may believe they have a clear conscience at this point, but only time will tell whether North America can endure the constant onslaught of imported goods while maintaining its pre-eminent position in the world.

At least I have the courtesy of addressing your points, rather than cherry picking the ones that anger me and conveniently ignoring the rest.

If I have become some sort of role model on this board, then so be it. That was not my charge, nor my intention. I come here for enjoyment and to learn, not to throw barbs and mud at people whose opinions I don’t agree with. If I can in some way discharge some of the hyperbole and outright exaggerations about GM’s product, then so much the better.

My charge is to call the shots as I see them, to speak the truth as it falls to me and to conduct my life with as much integrity and dignity as I can. How could anyone ask for anything more? Don’t you dare to lecture me about my integrity, sir, as I could curl your hair (if you have any) with stories about being gay in high school in the ‘70s and NOT denying it to my peers, friends or family.

Nothing takes more courage or personal integrity than that. Selling cars is a piece of cake compared to that.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room