Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Study Suggests Cadillac’s Appeal Is Slipping

23 posts in this topic

Study Suggests Cadillac’s Appeal Is Slipping

Posted Image

According to the industry examiners at CNW Research, Cadillac’s fortunes appear to be slipping away at the margins.

In the firm’s July installment of their Retail Automotive Summary, their Aspirational Index (which judges a brand’s attractiveness to consumers) reveals that Cadillac’s rising star is beginning to falter. In the mid-Nineties, the marque rated only a 4 on a 10 point scale. With the brand’s dramatic rebound beginning in 1999, its score climbed for five straight years, flattening out in 2005 and 2006. It has now slipped under 8.0, the brand’s lowest mark since 2003.

The ‘aspiration age’ for Cadillac buyers has also swelled from 30.3 just three years ago to 35.9. Interestingly, Cadillac trucks (read: the Escalade brand) went from 25.7 to 32.7—a 27 percent increase. This suggests that Cadillac’s appeal among buyers in that most coveted of demographics (18-35 years old) is slipping.

Editor’s Note: Cadillac’s disappointing trending seems like a fairly predictable result of its aging bread-and-butter product line (think: CTS, SRX, XLR, and STS). Older consumers seem to be less concerned with purchasing new models than they are with other factors (witness the devoted elderly audiences of such long-running cars as Cadillac’s own DeVille, or Ford’s Crown Victoria). We anticipate an uptick in Cadillac’s scores once the 2008 CTS filters into dealerships.

source:

http://news.windingroad.com/

I wish I could find a way to make a paycheck just by spouting meaningless jibberish.

Dunno, I assume it refers to Wilmington. BTW- I have the same car and it was built in Wilmington.

I need a 2dr hardtop B-59, esp. an Invicta. :wub:

Although this is not a terribly good sign... it could mean that hip-hop's idiotic grip on youth today might be waning. 8)

Although this is not a terribly good sign... it could mean that hip-hop's idiotic grip on youth today might be waning. 8)

I only wish.

As for brand appeal, the new CTS is right around the corner...I suspect it'll be up once that car is available to the public for purchasing.

Wait; you're not placing validity in this non-news, are you??

"This suggests that Cadillac’s appeal among buyers in that most coveted of demographics (18-35 years old) is slipping."

This is the most asinine thing I've heard in a while, and more evidence about the utter stupidity and uselessness of hiring recent marketing graduates to do these silly studies.

Why in the hell would Cadillac CARE about the 18-35 year olds? Other than over-paid basketball morons and vacuous Hollywood waifs, nobody else should be able to AFFORD a Cadillac.

Really, this is just ridiculous. 18-35 year olds should be driving more modest vehicles, worrying about pimple cream, paying off their student loans and worrying about whether or not they will ever be able to afford a shack in the suburbs - not buying Cadillacs.

No disrespect to 18-35 year olds on C&G, but dreaming about a Cadillac and buying one are two different things.

Edited by CARBIZ

"This suggests that Cadillac’s appeal among buyers in that most coveted of demographics (18-35 years old) is slipping."

This is the most asinine thing I've heard in a while, and more evidence about the utter stupidity and uselessness of hiring recent marketing graduates to do these silly studies.

Why in the hell would Cadillac CARE about the 18-35 year olds? Other than over-paid basketball morons and vacuous Hollywood waifs, nobody else should be able to AFFORD a Cadillac.

Really, this is just ridiculous. 18-35 year olds should be driving more modest vehicles, worrying about pimple cream, paying off their student loans and whether or not they will ever be able to afford a shack in the suburbs - not buying Cadillacs.

No disrespect to 18-35 year olds on C&G, but dreaming about a Cadillac and buying one are two different things.

That's right you youngins shouldn't be able to afford a Cadillac yet, more for me now to pick from. :P

Really, this is just ridiculous. 18-35 year olds should be driving more modest vehicles, worrying about pimple cream, paying off their student loans and worrying about whether or not they will ever be able to afford a shack in the suburbs - not buying Cadillacs.

But...today's dreamers are tomorrows' purchasers.

I firmly believe the new CTS will swing that type of study, but what the article completely misses is the product cadence issue for domestics...which gives you wild swings in relatively meaningless studies like this one.

If Cadillac wants to appeal to younger buyers, it needs to make a smaller car. It really isn't rocket science.

none taken..... I know the difference... I have a CTS I bought new.

Wait; you're not placing validity in this non-news, are you??

Not really... but if it does mean that there are fewer G-Unit wannabe's with 40 inches of underwear showing above their pants walking around, then I'll be a happy man. :D

Wait, so does that mean all 18-35 non-basketball players and actors must be broke?

This certainly isn't good news, but it really isn't meaningful news either. I don't ever remember an alarming article when Mercedes was losing it's appeal. GO FIGURE.

I think there are a variety of factors affecting this.

1) Cadillac NEEDS new product asap.

2) Cadillac NEEDS that product to be hits like the Escalade and CTS as opposed to timid "ground balls" like the STS, SRX, and XLR.

3) Cadillac needs it's edge back (Thank you Mr. Lutz for dumbing down Cadillac cars and marketing to a Chrysler-like image)

4) Cadillac DOES need the Alpha sized car immediately as younger buyers like smaller cars AND younger buyers might be turned off by the Escalade since "driving an SUV is the devil" now.

5) The media began hounding Cadillac hard last year (After focusing on offing Buick and Pontiac for a while and killing Hummers sales they went after GM's last strong point) maybe that's finally taking hold.

6) GM's appeal in general has probably went to hell over the past year or so because of the media, I'm sure Cadillac is not benefiting from that as well.

My point is: Cadillac has LOST whatever it was that made the recent revival a success... The division no longer has edgy, memorable marketing. The division no longer has a co-hesive line up of fresh cars or a co-hesive product plan. The division no longer has the stylistic elements that appeal to younger buyers (Yes, Art & Science was love it/hate it--AND THAT WAS THE POINT) The division and GM in general no longer have the winning attitude that they had when the revival started. (Self fulfilling prophecy? Once you're told you're inferior enough you begin to believe it? Yes... That's one reason Detroit can never get ahead, they still don't believe that they can be better than the asians.) The most recent products and updates have been geared toward OLDER clientele.

I don't understand why it is so hard for GM to get ALL of it's divisions up and running at once, especially now that all of the engineering basics are in place. I just hope that it isn't too late to keep the Cadillac revival going as GM seems to be neglecting the division for reasons beyond my knowledge.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

With the coming product starting with the new CTS and V series things will again pick up. Lets face it these cars are at the end of their life cycle and as pointed out this is a non story.

Either way Caddy is in much better shape than they were in the 80's and most of the 90's.

As for neglect visit a Buick show room they are in far worse shape right now.

How would you like to be a Buick salesman there right now. Would you like car A or car B?

At least they did get the Enclave to start the rebuild but times have been hard there for a while.

Edited by hyperv6

There are plenty of under-35 buyers of new luxury vehicles (including myself -- SRX). Ignoring that demographic means you miss out on the MOST ATTRACTIVE luxury clients, possibly for life. These are the customers that will continue to buy luxury products over the majority of a lifetime, and some of the most influential if you can get them to brag about their cars to their friends, who will be buying luxury vehicles later in life.

I said in an earlier thread that the BLS is the most important product launch for Cadillac since the original CTS, and it's exactly because of the importance of the younger demographic. BMW (3-series), Lexus (IS/RX), Infiniti (G) etc. pull in plenty of young buyers and Cadillac absolutely CANNOT concede that market without a fight.

I wish I could find a way to make a paycheck just by spouting meaningless jibberish.

What's "meaningless" about it?

What did Cadillac do after CTS?

I wouldn't consider cars like the current STS and DTS as being able to carry forward the "aspirational" status that the Escalades and the dramatically styled new CTS engendered in younger people and import drivers.

SRX had a chance....but I think unfortunately it hasn't been as big of a marketing and sales success as what it could have been.

Cadillac dropped the ball when the new STS did nothing to "carry the torch" that was lit with the original CTS.....and when they didn't develop a true flagship for the brand (a flagship that should have replaced the DTS.)

I guess Cadillac should care......

....should care why many of those very same 18-35 year olds aspire to drive a BMW, Audi, Acura, or Lexus.

Sure they might not be able to afford a 3-series, A4, or IS until they are more toward the "35 year old" end of that group.....but you can rest assured the desire is strong.

Yeah CARBIZ....why would we EVER want 18-35 year olds to aspire to own a Cadillac? Hmmm....why?

Oh yeah....forgot.....I bought MY 2007 CTS new as well......when I was 36.

(Ooops just outside your age range.)

It's ridiculous to lump 18-35 into one demographic bucket.. maybe 18-22 or 18-25 to cover the college and grad school age range...

The late 20s to mid 30s are a completely financial situation for many compared to college years...

There are plenty of people in their late 20s and 30s with jobs that can afford a $30k+ car, esp. in my line of work (software)...hell, I was one...bought a BMW M3 when I was 28 and a Jeep Grand Cherokee when I was 30.

Edited by moltar

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0