Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

2009 Chevrolet SS Spotted In California

23 posts in this topic

This thinly disguised Holden Commodore based Chevrolet with SS badgetry was spotted yesterday (July 12) just outside of San Diego, California. Practically, we’re talking about a sister model to the upcoming Pontiac G8 GT with the 362Hp 6.0-liter V8 unit. Unfortunately, GM people impolitely covered the nameplate of the Michigan plated Chevy mule so we can’t be sure of the model. While many of you would love this prototype to be the rear-wheel drive successor to the Impala SS, we’re betting it’s either the Brazilian Omega SS or (most probably) the Middle-Eastern market Lumina SS.

Posted Image

Source and more photos:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/07/2009-...spotted-in.html

and

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3335031

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I think this is probably just GM fine-tuning the G8. There's no reason to bring this here when it's almost identical to the G8 and there isn't enough capacity down under for it anyways.

Middle East Lumina SS. Putting a US-spec engine in one of those would be ideal for testing purposes.

Edited by ZL-1

Folks this could well be a drive train muel for the Camaro or Impala for all we know.

I saw where someone thought they saw a Camaro Bodied car in FL that Fbodfather said there were no Cmamro bodied cars in this continent other than the two show cars and two movie cars.

The wheel base is longer than the Camaro but the drive train could be the same as it or the new Impala/Caprice. ZL-1, I think your on the right track here.

What better way to hide a Mule since under the skin they are all sisters?

Also hot August testing in DeathValley is coming up. This could be a great place to test Midddle East cars.

We have to wake up and realize that GM works in plain siqht much of the time and were to slow to catch on to what we are really looking at. By the time we figure it out we are just seeing just what they want us to see. The Challanger pic of late are not an acccident as they are letting us see what they want and get some free PR in the magazines.

Edited by hyperv6

What better way to hide a Mule since under the skin they are all sisters?

And inbred sisters at that. But what can you expect when they are coming from Holden the inbreeding farm. :P

Posted Image

And inbred sisters at that. But what can you expect when they are coming from Holden the inbreeding farm. :P

Posted Image

What I can expect is a great driving quality RWD replacment for near the same price old and out dated FWD W bodies that few in the buying public want anyomore.

What I can expect is a great driving quality RWD replacment for near the same price old and out dated FWD W bodies that few in the buying public want anyomore.

+1

We'll see, I have a strong feeling the buying public will reject this car, and that will be more fun than watching a barrel of monkeys for me. I can't wait for it to go on sale in North America in January 2008 right in the middle of winter, great plan. :rolleyes:

We'll see, I have a strong feeling the buying public will reject this car, and that will be more fun than watching a barrel of monkeys for me. I can't wait for it to go on sale in North America in January 2008 right in the middle of winter, great plan. :rolleyes:

Well be prepared to be disappointed then,PCS.

Click on the VWvortex link and see what those guys have to say about it - you might be dismayed. :lol:

Well be prepared to be disappointed then,PCS.

Click on the VWvortex link and see what those guys have to say about it - you might be dismayed. :lol:

A few Gearheads buying it, does not make a successful car. You know that as well as I do. :AH-HA_wink:

A few Gearheads buying it, does not make a successful car. You know that as well as I do. :AH-HA_wink:

Seems to me the appeal has already moved beyond that stage.

Seems to me the appeal has already moved beyond that stage.

We shall see soon, we shall all see what the fate of this car will be. A lot of careers are riding on this car, it will be fun to watch externally and internally what happens. :P

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

It'll will sell to the enthusiasts, probably just the same ones who bought the B-body Impala SS in the 90's, but looking at the G8, it wont sell on style like the 300 does, so I dont see a hugely profitable vehicle here.

They're only planning on selling 30k-40k G8s a year in the US anyway....

It always amuses me how people go crazy when foreign market cars show up in the U.S.

Foreign market cars test here ALL THE TIME. More often than not, it means nothing to see them here.

Just like this sighting of the Chevy, three years ago, I saw the Middle Eastern market "Lumina SS" here. It meant nothing. The GTO was already on sale here when I saw it.

More recently I've seen the Ford Territory, Ford EcoSport, a couple Chinese Buicks, Holden Statesman, a couple euro only Mercedes, a Chinese STS-L (with chinese script badges no less).....I could go on. None of these sightings meant anything. For whatever reason, they were just testing those cars here.

This pic of this Chevy means nothing.

Edited by Chris_Doane

It always amuses me how people go crazy when foreign market cars show up in the U.S.

Foreign market cars test here ALL THE TIME. More often than not, it means nothing to see them here.

Just like this sighting of the Chevy, three years ago, I saw the Middle Eastern market "Lumina SS" here. It meant nothing. The GTO was already on sale here when I saw it.

More recently I've seen the Ford Territory, Ford EcoSport, a couple Chinese Buicks, Holden Statesman, a couple euro only Mercedes, a Chinese STS-L (with chinese script badges no less).....I could go on. None of these sightings meant anything. For whatever reason, they were just testing those cars here.

Death Vally testing is usally in July and August?

I thought that is when most of the companies arrive with many test mules for use around thew world.

Your first error is thinking gear heads only want RWD!

Just because a car is RWD dose not make it for gear heads only.

Fact is not everyone loves or craves FWD they just never had much choice under $40K.

Not every Benz, Volvo, BMW, Lexus and the like are for gear heads.

Did you not notice that when the FWD small cars arrived that truck and SUV sales went up. The fact is they were the only affordable large non FWD avalable for many other than the outdated Crown VIc and discontinued Impala. :scratchchin:

Through the first half of 2007, the Grand Prix sold 9,376 retail units. It's on track to sell under 19k retail units this year. Yeah... If that's not public rejection, I don't know what is. I think the G8 will be absolutely fine. Edited by blackviper8891

Death Vally testing is usally in July and August?

I thought that is when most of the companies arrive with many test mules for use around thew world.

The time of year has no relevance. We see foreign market stuff all the time.

The EcoSport was under consideration for the US not long after it debuted. They even advertised for powertrain engineers to give it a US-spec engine. But, in general you are right, without additional intelligence it means nothing. Although it's a bit late to hot-weather test cars already on sale in the Middle East and soon Brazil, there is plenty they could be doing to fine-tune the G8 (engine calibration on US fuel, suspension, electronics etc.), and why divert a production prototype when there are plenty of LHD Luminas.

The EcoSport was under consideration for the US not long after it debuted.

I know. What a disaster that would've been. The one I saw was quite a while after the debut and after the choice had been made not to bring it here.

Although it's a bit late to hot-weather test cars already on sale in the Middle East and soon Brazil, there is plenty they could be doing to fine-tune the G8 (engine calibration on US fuel, suspension, electronics etc.), and why divert a production prototype when there are plenty of LHD Luminas.

Not quite. They will continue testing cars right up to, and after, the launch. Foreign market included. That's something we also see very frequently.

Edited by Chris_Doane

This thinly disguised Holden Commodore based Chevrolet with SS badgetry was spotted yesterday (July 12) just outside of San Diego, California. Practically, we’re talking about a sister model to the upcoming Pontiac G8 GT with the 362Hp 6.0-liter V8 unit. Unfortunately, GM people impolitely covered the nameplate of the Michigan plated Chevy mule so we can’t be sure of the model. While many of you would love this prototype to be the rear-wheel drive successor to the Impala SS, we’re betting it’s either the Brazilian Omega SS or (most probably) the Middle-Eastern market Lumina SS.

Posted Image

Pretty much the exact same car has been spotted and photographed in San Diego and Detroit during the past week near GM facilities. Certainly not a coincidence. Of particular note, GM is making almost no attempt to conceal or otherwise disguise the vehicle. Obvious conclusions are:

1) GM is looking for free advertising on the web in forums like this to prove that GM is serious about a return to full-size RWD performance sedans. The goal is to prime the market.

2) The cars are straw men intended to throw snoopers with cameras off the scent, possibly meaning GM's next RWD sedan will look nothing like a Commodore clone (G8).

3) The cars are test mules for the underlying platform and possibly for U.S.-specific parts being tested on the platform.

4) Some combo of the above.

5) The next-generation GM sedans will be more of the same: FWD also-rans. This is GM's suicide pact to guarantee a huge letdown when the new sedans are finally unveiled. (tongue in cheek)

Conclusion #4 seems most likely, basically killing multiple birds with one stone, keeping the buying public interested, and maybe discouraging some folks from buying current alternatives from the competition over the next year or so until the real deal is finally made public.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room