OMG TEH OVERHANGS!!!111

Guest YellowJacket894

I'll admit, I find the front overhangs to be, well, odd and/or distasteful on the R8 (I mean, c'mon here ... the front overhang is longer than the rear ... that's plain strange) and the FXX.

Anyhow, shorter overhangs wouldn't help the Citroen in any case. Good Lord, talk about one hideous car. Bleh. :puke:

Edited by YellowJacket894

I don't mind overhangs as long as the rear is longer than the front. I can't imagine how dumb an old Monte Carlo or Impala would look with the wheels pushed to the corners. I also can't stand cars (excluding hatchbacks and wagons) that have a non-existent rear deck...if I wanted a dorky hatchback I'd buy one. :P

Take any full-sized American car from the '60s and they had HUGE overhangs, but in most cases the effect worked very well. Of course, in many cases the front over hang was just air - open the hood on any big Buick, Olds, Chrysler, Mercury of the era and there is quite a bit of space from the fan shroud/radiator to the actual bumper!

BTW, Citreon has some very nice models. When I was in southern Brazil (where the money is) I saw a lot of Citreons, Renaults and Peugeots that were quite nice. I'd take that over the sea of boring Lexi and BMWs that I see here.

Overhangs look bad when they are disproportionate with the rest of of the car. Little cars with huge overhangs look like ass, but on bigger cars it doesn't look as bad. Also notice most of the cars posted are either FWD or mid-engined, which is one reason they have longer overhangs.

Some big cars it looks like ass on though....The DTS for example...It looks way to nose-heavy...I mean, I know it is fwd (which is hardly an excuse...it shouldn't be fwd in my opinion, and it isn't impossible to make a fwd car have a decently sized overhang)...

This is just ridiculous...

Posted Image

Overhangs look bad when they are disproportionate with the rest of of the car.

*nods*

Exactly.

Some of the ones pictured ... I actually like the looks of. Others ... wowa ... just wowa.

Course, it's a matter of personal taste, too. I've always liked the overhangs on the Monte Carlos.....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Wouldn't you like to get away?" ... Gary Portnoy ... 'Where Everybody Knows Your Name'

Well, the whole tongue-in-cheek point is that certain cars the get constantly blasted for OMG OVERHANG aren't that bad.

If by that, you mean W-bodies, I would have to say you're crazy. Most of the vehicles you posted pictures of, you found the worst angle to judge front overhang by. The A8, Passat, and Phaeton's overhangs are certainly not outrageous. The R8 and Enzo are a given, since nearly all mid-engined vehicles have a sizable front overhang. The others, especially the RWD vehicles (Monte Carlo and Infiniti M30), definitely have excessive amounts of front overhang to rival such vehicles as the W-bodies and several others. .

having an engine mounted mid-way is an even poorer excuse that front-wheel drive for such a massive overhang.

I think it tends to be a trend among most mid/rear engined cars because it aids in aerodynamics/downforce to put more grip to the front wheels...Could be wrong though. That's just a theory of mine.

Everything in Fly's original post with the possible exception

of the 1st gen. A8 has a gross front overhang. The Citroen,

Passat & Enzo all great (horrible) examples.

I think the Passat is fine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It looks fine in the first picture, but the photo of it's ass shows just how fat it looks.

Large front overhang.

Huge rear wheelwell-to-beltline ration makes the wheels look tiny.

Raked to look like its hanging its ass in the air.

Its going to break in a month.

:lol:

Did I mention I have four cars again?... it's a long story but

I'll try to post some photos tonight. I'm pretty sure most of

you will love the newest arrival's proportions. :smilewide: