Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Enzora

Another Mazda Hypothetical

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone else think the RX-8 should ditch the rotary? Sure it handles really well, but the power to gas mileage ratio for it is pathetic. I'd much prefer an I6 with optional turbo. It would probably need a different name, though, since the RX designation has always been set aside for rotary cars.

Does anyone else think the RX-8 should ditch the rotary?  Sure it handles really well, but the power to gas mileage ratio for it is pathetic.  I'd much prefer an I6 with optional turbo.  It would probably need a different name, though, since the RX designation has always been set aside for rotary cars.

[post="24927"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If anything else can fit, that is. A traditional engine would probably shift the weight forward and worsen its handling characteristics. Remember that, currently, its only a 1.3L.

Nah, I like the rotary feature. It makes it more unique, IMO.

You guys are on a Mazda high or something. IMO, if they can make the rotary more fuel efficient (period) or more fuel efficient than a small turbo 6 then keep it. If not, get rid of it.

You guys are on a Mazda high or something.

IMO, if they can make the rotary more fuel efficient (period) or more fuel efficient than a small turbo 6 then keep it.  If not, get rid of it.

[post="24937"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think a turbo-6 will have a hard time replicating the smoothness and linearity of the RX8's rotary engine.

If anything else can fit, that is. A traditional engine would probably shift the weight forward and worsen its handling characteristics. Remember that, currently, its only a 1.3L.

[post="24931"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, I actually meant for future generations, not the current model.

It just seems like a bad idea for both the American and Japanese/European markets. In America, there are so few people who will ever appreciate its handling who would be much better off with a more powerful conventional engine, and in Europe and Japan, where the penalty for having a gas guzzler is so much higher, it seems like it would be more successful with something more efficient.

You guys are on a Mazda high or something.

zoom-zoom Posted Image

I've been thinking about a slightly stretched RX-8 platform re-built around Ford's new 3.5v6 (with an optional turbo of course). But it'd be soooo different....
might make a good Mercury!
coughPosted Imagecough

zoom-zoom Posted Image

I've been thinking about a slightly stretched RX-8 platform re-built around Ford's new 3.5v6 (with an optional turbo of course). But it'd be soooo different....
might make a good Mercury!
coughPosted Imagecough

[post="24956"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sounds good to me. Let's just hope that if they do go through with that it'll have a turbo that ups performance at least as much as Volvo's S80 did (about 190hp NA to 268hp/280lb-ft turbo).

To stretch an RX-8, then revert to piston engines, it may as well simply be a Mazda7 or Mazda8. I still think Mazda should research better fuel efficiency with the 2- and 3-rotors....

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0