Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2008 Malibu begins production October 15th

2008 Malibu Begins Production in Three Months
Posted Image

Job One for the new Chevrolet Malibu is scheduled for Monday, October 15th

Every Chevrolet dealer should have at least one new Malibu in stock by the middle of January. The current Malibu will be renamed "Classic" and have a short 2008 model year production run. It will only be available to fleet and rental customers. The "Classic" will only be available as a 4 door sedan as the Malibu Maxx is now discontinued.

Pricing has not been announced.

My decision to get a Maxx was a compromise at best. However, it has really grown on me and I'm actually disappointed there won't be a Maxx version of the new Malibu. A standard sedan doesn't do it for me. I want something more versatile.

My decision to get a Maxx was a compromise at best. However, it has really grown on me and I'm actually disappointed there won't be a Maxx version of the new Malibu. A standard sedan doesn't do it for me. I want something more versatile.

Well normally what GM does is send all our old stuff to Brazil. Jesus they are still building/selling the S10 Blazer there, so maybe you will get lucky and they will send the old Maxx there too. Then all you have to do is drive back to the North America via the Pan American highway.

http://www.chevrolet.com.br/index.shtm

http://www.chevrolet.com.br/blazer/index.shtm

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Hey, that's 4 days before my 24th birthday! But, why is it taking this long for the Malibu to hit production? I just saw a (very, very impressive) 2008 Saturn VUE XR on the lot today, and this Malibu better be worth the wait! And I still don't understand the reasoning behind keeping the lousy, old (okay, not old, but it aged fast) predecessor and slapping the "Classic" badge to a car that's downscale and instantly forgettable. Did GM do this in the 1970's? NO!! While Ford and Chrysler took forever to downsize their cars, and squared up the hulks (Ford Torino to LTD II, Dodge Coronet to Monaco, etc.), GM simply downsized their cars (Malibu, Impala/Caprice Classic) and did not keep the previous, larger models. I know there's no downsizing here, but get the point? Its just plain stupid that Chevy in particular keeps practicing this. Let's hope it doesn't happen again in 2012.

"....old model to be renamed Malibu Classic..."

DeJavu

Hey, that's 4 days before my 24th birthday! But, why is it taking this long for the Malibu to hit production? I just saw a (very, very impressive) 2008 Saturn VUE XR on the lot today, and this Malibu better be worth the wait! And I still don't understand the reasoning behind keeping the lousy, old (okay, not old, but it aged fast) predecessor and slapping the "Classic" badge to a car that's downscale and instantly forgettable. Did GM do this in the 1970's? NO!! While Ford and Chrysler took forever to downsize their cars, and squared up the hulks (Ford Torino to LTD II, Dodge Coronet to Monaco, etc.), GM simply downsized their cars (Malibu, Impala/Caprice Classic) and did not keep the previous, larger models. I know there's no downsizing here, but get the point? Its just plain stupid that Chevy in particular keeps practicing this. Let's hope it doesn't happen again in 2012.

The primary reason they do this is to have it fill fleet sales. They don't want this new model to be fleet heavy because fleet sales can hurt resale values.

Well normally what GM does is send all our old stuff to Brazil. Jesus they are still building/selling the S10 Blazer there, so maybe you will get lucky and they will send the old Maxx there too. Then all you have to do is drive back to the North America via the Pan American highway.

http://www.chevrolet.com.br/index.shtm

http://www.chevrolet.com.br/blazer/index.shtm

That'd be one hell of a trip.

. However, it has really grown on me and I'm actually disappointed there won't be a Maxx version of the new Malibu.

The Malibu Maxx has grown on me too. I wish they could have kept it longer. It reminds me of the Impala in the way it has grown in many's estimation.

Dodge seems to think that body style holds promise.

Posted Image

vs.

Posted Image

a malibu maxx i once drove was hampered by the usual GM pitfalls, subpar plastics and fit, thrashy/loud engine, loose disconnected steering, unrefined suspension characteristics........but it was a car that could fit people comfortably and had a heck of a lot of utility, and I actually like the way it looks in the rear and from the side profile. the front ruined it as it did the entire malibu line, but the maxx concept really could be something special, if the rest of the car that was bolted to it were up to toyota/honda standards instead of kia standards.

Edited by turbo200

a malibu maxx i once drove was hampered by the usual GM pitfalls, subpar plastics and fit, thrashy/loud engine, loose disconnected steering, unrefined suspension characteristics........but it was a car that could fit people comfortably and had a heck of a lot of utility, and I actually like the way it looks in the rear and from the side profile. the front ruined it as it did the entire malibu line, but the maxx concept really could be something special, if the rest of the car that was bolted to it were up to toyota/honda standards instead of kia standards.

:banghead: Oh, here we go: someone rents a car for the day and becomes an expert. Here begins my favorite "Malibu is a piece of crap/rental queen" thread.

I'll bite. As a two year Maxx owner, I say the plastics are fine and the fit: fair. Ergonomics are good, for me. A loud engine? It's got a certain groan, but I've certainly had much worse. However, I often calculate over 32 mpg on the hwy and with the reasonable power of the 3.5, I'll say it's acceptable. Steering is definitely _not_ loose; disconnected I'll accept. As one who driven literally thousands of dirt road miles, I'd say the suspension is one of the more positive aspects; in my opinion, the Maxx struck a good balance between handling and comfort. A better quality tire went a LONG ways... The back seat excellent, headroom excellent, utility is good and marred by a few design flaws, notably the rear seats don't fold completely flat and the gap behind them. As for Kia standards, at 135,000 miles with zero repairs and one set of plugs, two easy-to-change brakes and one tranny fluid service, I feel GM did just fine. However, I do look forward to the next 1/2 generation hoping for a wagon version.

I'll bite. As a two year Maxx owner, I say the plastics are fine and the fit: fair. Ergonomics are good, for me. A loud engine? It's got a certain groan, but I've certainly had much worse. However, I often calculate over 32 mpg on the hwy and with the reasonable power of the 3.5, I'll say it's acceptable. Steering is definitely _not_ loose; disconnected I'll accept. As one who driven literally thousands of dirt road miles, I'd say the suspension is one of the more positive aspects; in my opinion, the Maxx struck a good balance between handling and comfort. A better quality tire went a LONG ways... The back seat excellent, headroom excellent, utility is good and marred by a few design flaws, notably the rear seats don't fold completely flat and the gap behind them. As for Kia standards, at 135,000 miles with zero repairs and one set of plugs, two easy-to-change brakes and one tranny fluid service, I feel GM did just fine. However, I do look forward to the next 1/2 generation hoping for a wagon version.

You're new here. Welcome aboard, BTW. Let me say that I have driven dozens of Malibus and Maxxs over the past 4 or 5 years and find them to be totally competent. As you pointed out, the gas mileage is exemplary, engine power is above par, body flex, etc. is also above par. The fit is fine, the finish is a little on the cheap side and I would personally like to have shot anyone who had anything to do with the cloth on the seats. I would agree that on the "look" side, GM could have done better. However, I have no complaints about the steering (I quite like the electric steering), ride or handling and many publications (even the ones that hate GM) reluctantly admit that the Malibu/Maxx have been better than "expected" with respect to repair incidence.

Now, I'll let the usual suspects chime in about how crappy the plastic is, how awful pushrod engines are, how lame it is to have a 4 spd automatic (despite the fact that it actually does work, is reliable and gives such amazing gas mileage numbers) and any other number of perceived atrocities that GM committed with the Malibu.

Over to you guys..............

You're new here.

I would personally like to have shot anyone who had anything to do with the cloth on the seats.

Well, not too new. Just quiet.

Seat cloth = Kaboom. If anything even remotely touches the cloth, it's stained. Heck, I've had RAIN leave spots!

I wish someone could define what "quality" plastic is. To me, "Quality" is plastics that look fine, fit well, don't creek, doesn't breakdown, discolor or warp in the sunlight and heat, doesn't scratch easily but when it does, doesn't have another color under the paint to highlight the scratch (a la the silver painted plastics that's becomming common.)

The biggest complaint I have on my car is the number of textures in it! Nothing matches. And some things just work out perfectly. For example, my Garmin 2730 GPS fits abso-Smurfly perfect at the top of the dash vents in front of the emergency flashers button.

Anyhow, my Maxx is serving my needs quite nicely! However, I will be keenly watching for a CTS wagon and Malibu/Aura wagon...

Cheers!

I liked the Maxx...not loved it, but the styling was far better than the ugly sedan...You can notice some design traits in the back end of the Caliber...although I think Dodge did a better job with the styling. Anyway, here's to looking forward to seeing the new one soon.

I also really liked the MAXX, at least in concept. I had considered getting one also, but I could not get over the awful electric power steering and wallowy handling. The interior was not to par and should have been much better. Actually, the entire car should have been much better. The Malibu was really a lost opportunity in winning over import buyers. The SS model addressed many of the issues later, but by then it was too late.

I also really liked the MAXX, at least in concept. I had considered getting one also, but I could not get over the awful electric power steering and wallowy handling. The interior was not to par and should have been much better. Actually, the entire car should have been much better. The Malibu was really a lost opportunity in winning over import buyers. The SS model addressed many of the issues later, but by then it was too late.

end cue on poster with wisdom

[that's a direct comeback to carbiz, not the actual owner of the maxx who gave good personal insight]

Well, not too new. Just quiet.

Seat cloth = Kaboom. If anything even remotely touches the cloth, it's stained. Heck, I've had RAIN leave spots!

I wish someone could define what "quality" plastic is. To me, "Quality" is plastics that look fine, fit well, don't creek, doesn't breakdown, discolor or warp in the sunlight and heat, doesn't scratch easily but when it does, doesn't have another color under the paint to highlight the scratch (a la the silver painted plastics that's becomming common.)

The biggest complaint I have on my car is the number of textures in it! Nothing matches. And some things just work out perfectly. For example, my Garmin 2730 GPS fits abso-Smurfly perfect at the top of the dash vents in front of the emergency flashers button.

Anyhow, my Maxx is serving my needs quite nicely! However, I will be keenly watching for a CTS wagon and Malibu/Aura wagon...

Cheers!

i will never critique something without merit or good reason for doing it. for example, i didn't mention that it "only had a 4 spd auto", because to me that was the least of its problems and while i did notice a lack of gears when i switched to manumatic feature, that is no a big enough problem to me to warrant criticism. relative to the competition, yes the 4 spd was behind the times, but that's another argument for another day, i was merely critiquing what i found to be glaring defficiencies that a consumer with a high level of discernment and one that is comparing the import competition directly might notice immediately.

no, carbiz, i never stated i spent several years with the car, as i guess, according to you humans must spend at least a required 10 days of service with a car and followed a specific regimen in order to gain an accurate impression of the car.

I said I like the maxx, so therefore there are many good things about it. that was my point, and the second part of that would be how GM yet again failed to live up to the expectations for that car since it had a lot of hype around the new platform and possibility since it was yet another shot at the midsize sedan segment, that if you think about it, we were in a totally different climate than we are in today. any semblance of GM not being a king of rental car companies in image is gone now......why, because of squandered opportunies and time. like spending 5 years with this current malibu in production.

As for the quality of the plastics. yes, GM's plastics don't usually break, but this isn't the 60's when GM once owned the maket and set the trends. There are other automakers out there setting the trends and winning all the market share from GM. they are chasing a moving target, and that target has declared that the interior ambience of a car should not be something akin to soft cushiony seats revolved around blocks of rubber anymore. it should have design flair and be comfortable and desirable to spend some time in. it should say things about the owner, it should be creative and continue the design theme of the exterior.

plastics also have a more refined feel and a less refined feel. those that feel coarse and rough and bulky to the touch and immovable maybe, those are unrefined. the ones that flow in thier movements feel soft to the touch feel strong but totally intuitive, those are more refined.

as for the engine, I don't know. i'm not with you on making excuses like it's a compromise, it gets good gas mileage even though it sounds like a horse getting up there. i didn't like how the 3.5 sounded, however, i wouldn't say the experience in that car gives me finality on how the 3.5 performs. that was a used rental car........but i did test it in another rental, this time a G6 with about 2000 mi on the odo, and that one also left me with unfavorable impressions.

The primary reason they do this is to have it fill fleet sales. They don't want this new model to be fleet heavy because fleet sales can hurt resale values.

Yeah I've heard this reasoning before, but the fleets will always need something...and this is a Chevrolet mid-sized sedan...so obviously, its the perfect rental car target, no matter how nicely it is styled or well-equipped. There will always be a Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, etc. in rental fleets-it is inevitable. And will the base LS trim have a V-6 engine option? I hope so, because back in the day there was always optional engine choices, even in cars far plainer than Malibu (the Chevelle 300/Deluxe, anyone?).

You're new here. Welcome aboard, BTW. Let me say that I have driven dozens of Malibus and Maxxs over the past 4 or 5 years and find them to be totally competent. As you pointed out, the gas mileage is exemplary, engine power is above par, body flex, etc. is also above par. The fit is fine, the finish is a little on the cheap side and I would personally like to have shot anyone who had anything to do with the cloth on the seats. I would agree that on the "look" side, GM could have done better. However, I have no complaints about the steering (I quite like the electric steering), ride or handling and many publications (even the ones that hate GM) reluctantly admit that the Malibu/Maxx have been better than "expected" with respect to repair incidence.

Now, I'll let the usual suspects chime in about how crappy the plastic is, how awful pushrod engines are, how lame it is to have a 4 spd automatic (despite the fact that it actually does work, is reliable and gives such amazing gas mileage numbers) and any other number of perceived atrocities that GM committed with the Malibu.

Over to you guys..............

you sell chevys for a living. you probably wouldn't even step foot into a honda dealership to test the accord. it's true over time the vast differences grow more appreciable. so had i spent more time with the malibu i might have grown on the hatchback utility ever more [though that for me is a great selling point]. but it's the differences that you grow to appreciate over time. and after spending time with the maxx, it was clear to me there was an ocean of difference in terms of refinement, and you know what one of the biggest reasons for that impression was how cheap and unsolid and how loud everything was in the malibu in direct comparison to the accord. even the radio font on the LED unit [or whatever that is] looked like it came out of the '80s in comparison to the accord's streamlined modern display. so, you see, it really wouldn't have taken GM much work to move out of the unrefined category with the malibu, as i stated one of the biggest impressions was the cheap stuff right before my eyes, like the craptacular steering wheel that was the most awful design remnant from the '90s GM could have sought to put in it.

The current Malibu doesn't hold a candle to the current Accord. It's just that simple.

The Accord destroys it in terms of interior design, quality and refinement, and even the exterior is a more refined design. Ride/handling/powertrain refinement are also hands down victories for it.

The new Malibu is worlds better from what I can tell, and it's specs look promising...but I have to wonder how well it will do against the new Accord...

one more direct for the heart of many GM fans [and my intent is not to hurt you, only to wake you up to reality].....go out and test a new civic, and a new accord when they are out in a month, and then go out and test a Gran Prix or a current Malibu [which still will be in production] or a LAcrosse and tell me you're not shocked that these cars are in production at the same time....

the differences are astounding. i've said it time and again many times already....it's been the antiquated design that has hurt GM the most, not thier engineering which by and large has been great, not the best [sometimes close to, or the best], but great, but thier design has consistently let the car down and made you feel like you were in a time warp, especially in the last five years, relative to the competition....

The current Malibu doesn't hold a candle to the current Accord. It's just that simple.

The Accord destroys it in terms of interior design, quality and refinement, and even the exterior is a more refined design. Ride/handling/powertrain refinement are also hands down victories for it.

The new Malibu is worlds better from what I can tell, and it's specs look promising...but I have to wonder how well it will do against the new Accord...

we shall see....it's a good thing that on paper it looks like a solid car. but i already have my doubts seeing as how the aura was the last car they put out in the category and its interior is still pretty bad.

Hopefully the delay means that GM is ensuring that the quality is there when the car is launched. It would be a shame for this beautiful car to be dogged with defects when it comes out. I can't wait to see it in person!

Solstice, Sky, Aura, Acadia, Enclave, 2008 Vue, 2008 Malibu, 2008 G8; keep cranking out the good designs GM!

one more direct for the heart of many GM fans [and my intent is not to hurt you, only to wake you up to reality].....go out and test a new civic, and a new accord when they are out in a month, and then go out and test a Gran Prix or a current Malibu [which still will be in production] or a LAcrosse and tell me you're not shocked that these cars are in production at the same time....

the differences are astounding. i've said it time and again many times already....it's been the antiquated design that has hurt GM the most, not thier engineering which by and large has been great, not the best [sometimes close to, or the best], but great, but thier design has consistently let the car down and made you feel like you were in a time warp, especially in the last five years, relative to the competition....

You're wasting your time. w/Carbiz...he's already been assimilated by the Borg.

In another thread, he's trying to argue that the Chevy Optra (Suzuki Reno/Forenza in the USA) are comparable to the Honda Civic (and made even more nonsensical by the fact that he's defending American co's with a Korean made Chevy)

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...18535&st=20

The Maxx is a great idea with less than perfect execution...I happen to like the look and utility, but I also don't like the steering (on the Equinox as well) or the interior design.

The new Malibu needs to be Aura+...we'll see how that works out.

Guest YellowJacket894

but i already have my doubts seeing as how the aura was the last car they put out in the category and its interior is still pretty bad.

Uhhh, I don't think so. The fit and finish in our Aura was just as good as the Accord and Camry setting out in front of the Saturn dealer. It also has plenty of soft-plastics for you dash humpers, although I will admit the center stack is sorta made in the shape of R2D2. :P

All engines are shared with either the Aura and G6, and have been retuned for the 2008 MY (Classic included), apparently to use less fuel, but with the switch in EPA tests comparisons will be difficult. As a result power is down slightly across the board. Virtually every GM model will be effected, except Cadillac, the Aveo and the pickups and large SUVs/crossovers (which have new engine variants already), and models/engines soon to be axed. Naturally some new engines with previously announced estimated hp get a nice bump after certification.

They shouldn't do a classic because they don't need more fleet sales. GM says they are going to reduce fleet sales, yet they are making a Malibu solely for fleets. That doesn't help the new Malibu's reputation which is already less than the Camry and Accord. The new Malibu should have been out in September, with the hybrid available at launch time. They need a winner badly in the midsize segment, and they need less fleet and base models, it hurts reputation overall, those few junkers like the Grand Prix, Taurus, Intrepid, Sebring, etc are enough to give American cars a bad name, then people don't consider them.

They shouldn't do a classic because they don't need more fleet sales. GM says they are going to reduce fleet sales, yet they are making a Malibu solely for fleets. That doesn't help the new Malibu's reputation which is already less than the Camry and Accord. The new Malibu should have been out in September, with the hybrid available at launch time. They need a winner badly in the midsize segment, and they need less fleet and base models, it hurts reputation overall, those few junkers like the Grand Prix, Taurus, Intrepid, Sebring, etc are enough to give American cars a bad name, then people don't consider them.

That's why it"s renamed "Classic" & doesn't get sold to retail customers.

Bear in mind production realities, as something might as well be built if they have the capacity & it doesn't lose them more money.

The current Malibu is already a rental queen & everyone who owns one and has attempted to trade out of it knows that too.