Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car (An Enthusiast's Reference)

I just bought this book from Amazon. I can't wait until it gets here. It chronicles the Pontiac Grand Prix from the very 1st generation to what we have today. Since the Grand Prix will be no more it's a keeper for me. My favorite Grand Prix is still the 1970 Grand Prix SJ, my older cousin had that car. God did I love to drive around with him in that car.

Anyway here is the book I ordered.

Posted Image

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I just looked at a GP for sale today: my buddy told me it was an "SJX" :rolleyes:, so I was hoping he mistakenly was referring to an SJ, which is a 455 car. Triple black and "really nice" turned out to be a Model J, rust under the vinyl top, rust coming thru the wheelwells, rusted Rallye IIs, torn-up interior with speakers cut into the console, no chrome plating left. Not what I was looking for.... tho I still do dig the '69-72 generation.

On the book cover is one of what I own, a '64. They are by far the most beautiful of all GPs, and moreso than scores of other cars.

BTW- Don Keefe does excellent work- the book should definately be worth the price.

Edited by balthazar

I just looked at a GP for sale today: my buddy told me it was an "SJX" :rolleyes:, so I was hoping he mistakenly was referring to an SJ, which is a 455 car. Triple black and "really nice" turned out to be a Model J, rust under the vinyl top, rust coming thru the wheelwells, rusted Rallye IIs, torn-up interior with speakers cut into the console, no chrome plating left. Not what I was looking for.... tho I still do dig the '69-72 generation.

On the book cover is one of what I own, a '64. They are by far the most beautiful of all GPs, and moreso than scores of other cars.

BTW- Don Keefe does excellent work- the book should definately be worth the price.

I know Don and was lucky to be able to work with him on a Pontiac story in High Perfomance Pontiac.

He really knows his Pontiacs and history and has driven the best Pontiacs ever made!

I plan on getting this book and having him sign it in August when I see him.

My favorite GPs are the 1963 my buddys dad still has that had a 400 Ram Air IV enigne in it. It at one time had a 421 SD [not original]. We drove it to school often when one of the TA's GTO's were not available. We had all the Pontiac toys at our disposal even a 428 Jag Sedan.

Also the 1969 428 HO. That car would just flat run and bury the 130 MPH speedo.

Any way Buy this Book!! If you do he will write more!!!

The first GP's were based on full sized Pontiacs, and shared some sheet metal with Bonnevilles and Catalinas. The 1969 was the first with a unique body. But, as a kid, just like the GTO, it was cool to see the "hot" versions of regular Pontiacs.

The 1990-96 GP sedans [6000 replacement] are the 'low point' and the 1981-83 diesel version, too.

PCS, definitely post a review once you receive the book. I happen to love Pontiac's Grand Prix - the '62 is my favorite of all years. My mom had an '83 LJ for 10 years, and it was the car I learned to drive on. I loved the '95 GXP 300 show car (precursor to the '97 GP) and as a result we leased a 2000 GT sedan. I hope Pontiac doesn't retire the name for too long, as I'd like to see it return on a car deserving of the nameplate.

Care to post that three more times, GMTruckGuy?

Yeah, that sounds like a hell of a coffee table piece....if I had a coffee table.

Growing up seeing mostly 73-77s and 78-80s, spotting a '67 parked at the supermarket was a weird sight (because of how rare they are).

The one I want is the '69 (70-72 will do).

The sedan existed at the same time as the 6000. And you wouldn't front on the STE turbo, a very, quick, rare, and collectible car.

67 Is rare but not as rare as the one year convertible.

I went to school with a guy who's dad still has a GP convertible in the garage with very low miles. In my 40+ years I have only ever seen it out a couple of times.

I have seen a few Convertibles at the Pontiac National but none as original or clean as this car.

Shame it is never seen out.

Edited by hyperv6

Interesting that everyone seems to know about the '1 year only' aspect of the '67 droptop, but I have not noticed the values skyrocketing accordingly. Personally, I dislike converts, as the folded canvas trashes the lines of the car. I would much rather own a hardtop '67 than a convert... but I would rather a '62-64 (esp '64) over all others.

Interesting that everyone seems to know about the '1 year only' aspect of the '67 droptop, but I have not noticed the values skyrocketing accordingly. Personally, I dislike converts, as the folded canvas trashes the lines of the car. I would much rather own a hardtop '67 than a convert... but I would rather a '62-64 (esp '64) over all others.

A ton of the '67 Grand Prix convertibles seemed to have survived. I rarely run into another '68 Bonneville conv at an all Pontiac show...but usually see several '67 GP convertibles.

A friend of mine has wanted a '69-72 GP since he was a kid... I think he's going to start looking for one in the next year or so, since his 40th birthday is coming up in '09. Interesting, since as far as I know, he's never owned an American car... (he currently has an '02 Maxima SE and a '91 Acura NSX).

This book is great, I plan to give it a full review this upcoming weekend. Right now I'm reading about the 1969 SE-101 Steam Powered Grand Prix, yep you heard right, steam powered Pontiac Grand Prix in 1969.

Yes and the steam car is still floating around yet today. It is in non runing condition but still in good shape.

The SE-101 is a fascinating engineering story. PMD pulled in the engineer for the Doble as a consultant - really the best source left at the time. They did a very thorough job on the SE-101. BTW- the Doble is another fascinating vehicle history.

Roger- is that that '63 you went to check out?? Did you ever get any pics of it?? I could definately be interested, of course it depends on 2 tiny little things... the car and the deal.

I'm reading about the 5.3 V8 in the Grand Prix at the moment. Here's what it says.

"The engine used a specific cylinder block that possessed an Aurora bellhousing, for proper mating to the 4T65-E HD transaxle. The crankshaft snout was also shortened and a new rearward-facing intake manifold was used, both for transverse mounting. Additionally, the tight confines of the engine bay required the use of a specific single-belt serpentine drive and a unique remote drive water pump.

Additionally, the 5.3-liter LS4 V-8 engine benefited from the superior Corvette-derived LS-6 heads and other critical induction componentry. Combined with the lightweight aluminum block, the LS4 engine was for the most part a small-bore version of the engine that powered the brutal Z06 Corvette."

How much?

Roger- is that that '63 you went to check out?? Did you ever get any pics of it?? I could definately be interested, of course it depends on 2 tiny little things... the car and the deal.

It was by chance that I happened to drive by the car while taking a different way home last Friday. The car was parked on the side of the road (in the opposite direction I was travelling in), but I always try to keep an eye out for anything old for sale on the side of the road. The car is located on Route 70, in Medford Township right before entering Evesham Twp (if you're familar with the area). I didn't have the time to make a "180" to go and check it out, but if I get a chance tomorrow or over the weekend, I'll make the trek back out that way with my camera. I will admit, if it was a '62, I'd be on that like a fly on $h*t!!!

Balthazar, I was out that way for dinner tonight so I stopped by to see it (yeah, in the dark!). Here's what I can tell you about it:

It's definitely a 1963 Pontiac Grand Prix, looks mostly original in condition (garage kept or maybe an older restoration?), it's a dark blue on the exterior, with a lighter blue on the interior, 8-lug aluminum wheels, automatic trans, odo looked like it stated 84,xxx miles. You can tell in the dark with a flashlight that the chromeed area of the taillights looks bad/needs work or replacing. No asking price on the "For Sale" signs, just a #. I'll PM you the phone # so you can call if you'd like to. I found out today that a town not far away from this car is having their first car show (all the older, main street towns are doing this nowadays) tomorrow, so if I can swing back by, I'll try to get some pics for you.

Anyone else really interested in the phone #, PM me and I'll reply back with it. I liked it a lot, but still not as much as the '62 G/P. And I wouldn't give up the SKY for just any old vehicle now! (anyone know of a resonably priced, fully restored '55-'57 GMC for sale??? :AH-HA_wink: )

Thanks for the pics, R!

Random: Late-model steering wheel is extremely disappointing to see- original acrylic job must've fallen on hard times (cracking).

A/C but crank windows.

Front bumper is waffled, parking lenses are available repro, rear grille is going to be $$ to have restored.

Ponchoman49 will hate it for it's lack of bodyside moldings.

How was the paint overall ?? The above makes me slightly nervous as to what other shortcuts were taken in the resto.

F'ing gorgeous design, but the price is going to have to be great for me to stick my toe in the water.

I thought the steering wheel looked out of place in that interior! There were some small parking lot dings I could see in the body (I definitely remember two small dimples in the driver's door), and the paint was shiny yet it looked like orange peel was visible (either an older restoration/paint job, or original paint - not sure). I'll admit though, I don't see '63 G/P's outside of the major car shows, and almost never on the side of a highway for sale. But I have no restoration skills or knowledge, so like you said the asking price will be the main factor for you. Please post a follow-up after you speak with the owner; I'm curious to find out what he's asking for it and what he has to tell you about it.