Chrysler Imperial (finally) officially dead

Fuel mileage fears doom Chrysler Imperial
Posted Image
Link to Original Article @ DetNews

Chrysler, the fourth-largest U.S. automaker, dropped plans for the new Imperial luxury sedan because of rising gasoline prices and tougher fuel-economy regulations, Bloomberg News and the Windsor Star reported today.

Executives made the decision within the past few weeks, Chrysler spokesman Ed Saenz told Bloomberg today. The Auburn Hills-based automaker unveiled the Imperial two years ago and had planned to start production in 2009 in Brampton, Ontario.

"There was no business case for us to bring it to the market," Saenz said. "We will continue to look for a future product for the plant." The decision won't affect any of the factory's 3,500 jobs, he said.

Bring back Imperial? YES!

Produce the 2006 Concept? NO!!!!

These are Imperials:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

This is great news! The last thing the company needed was to add this bloated, boxy, hideous, cut-rate Rolls Royce wannabe to their stable of mostly inferior products. Chrysler now needs to focus on fixing the rest of their ailing lineups and shortcomings. Once they reposition their brands, upgrade their interiors, offer competitive engine/transmission combos, and eliminate the stylists who keep cranking out disfigured exterior designs (2007 Sebring, 2008 minivans, 2008 Liberty, etc.), then they can concentrate on expanding into luxury territory. I would like to see Imperial eventually resurrected as a luxury make if Chrysler can turn their fortunes around. They have a lot of work cut out for them just fixing what's currently broken. Resurrecting Imperial would be a goal for the company's distant future.

Edited by cire

This is great news! The last thing the company needed was to add this bloated, boxy, hideous, cut-rate Rolls Royce wannabe to their stable of mostly inferior products. Chrysler now needs to focus on fixing the rest of their ailing lineups and shortcomings. Once they reposition their brands, upgrade their interiors, offer competitive engine/transmission combos, and eliminate the stylists who keep cranking out disfigured exterior designs (2008 Sebring, 2008 minivans, 2008 Liberty, etc.), then they can concentrate on expanding into luxury territory. I would like to see Imperial eventually resurrected as a luxury make if Chrysler can turn their fortunes around. They have a lot of work cut out for them just fixing what's currently broken. Resurrecting Imperial would be a goal for the company's distant future.

Hahaha

Fix those SRT vehicles first. Somebody musta taken off the restrictor plates!!!!!!

That Imperial isn't my cup-of-tea.

Interestingly, both brands were once owned by the same company.

Ironically, one brand is Dumb and one brand is Dumber.

Sorry about the Chrysler hating, but I'm just happy that this thing is dead. It's not what Chrysler needs at the moment. If they had a bit more cash, and a better design, then I'd be all for it.

I think we all have it figured out, you're still in the "word up dude" phase of your life.

BOOYAH!!!!!!!!!

lol

Judging by your recent posts, I will posit that you are lying about your age on this website. People who are younger than me on this website show much more respect to their fellow members than you, so I have to question your maturity.

Judging by your recent posts, I will posit that you are lying about your age on this website. People who are younger than me on this website show much more respect to their fellow members than you, so I have to question your maturity.

Question away!

Regardless of if it was good or not, it was still useless for day-to-day driving. Just like this Imperial woulda been.

Well the INTERIOR of the original Hummer wasn't very "user friendly" in a family sort of way...

The Imperial woulda been more useful, but in a time of gas prices scaring people into small cars it woulda been sitting on the lots more than UNuseful?

Have you ever seen the Super88 Chrysler concept, or whatever it was called? It was another concept that was a little "out to lunch"...

:AH-HA_wink:

I think we all have it figured out, you're still in the "word up dude" phase of your life.

BOOYAH!!!!!!!!!

lol

Show some more respect for fellow members, especially considering most have seniority over you...and some more maturity while you are at it.

--

Anyway, I'm glad they did not make it. The styling was no where near good enough, and the car isn't what Chrysler needs right now. They need to focus on what they have and fixing those products, making them truly competitive and class leading in design again. Once their product is sorted out, then they can think about reintroducing the Imperial, but a much better looking one.

Edited by Dodgefan

Show some more respect for fellow members, especially considering most have seniority over you...and some more maturity while you are at it.

Did you not read this?

Hey...how about we take this personal affronting off the board?

Final warning.

:scratchchin:

Chrysler, the fourth-largest U.S. automaker, dropped plans for the new Imperial luxury sedan because of rising gasoline prices and tougher fuel-economy regulations, Bloomberg News and the Windsor Star reported today.

Since when does america have 4 automakers? I guess the piece of $h! media is automatically including Toyota as an american automaker now? It figures, most of america feels that way anyway and they'll own the market in 5 years.

I agree with 68; I'd like to see an Imperial but not one crafted in th image of that craptacular concept.

Since when does america have 4 automakers? I guess the piece of $h! media is automatically including Toyota as an american automaker now? It figures, most of america feels that way anyway and they'll own the market in 5 years.

I agree with 68; I'd like to see an Imperial but not one crafted in th image of that craptacular concept.

Never seen Toyota included as an American automaker before.

Why can't Chrysler base a luxury car on the Charger concept of 1999? It was a sleek looking package IMO...

Never seen Toyota included as an American automaker before.

Why can't Chrysler base a luxury car on the Charger concept of 1999? It was a sleek looking package IMO...

I was wondering the very same...since when is their four American automakers...

I loved the Charger concept's interior...but the exterior wasn't the best...it looked kinda droopy from some angles...I'm happy with the one we got.

Edited by Dodgefan

This shows that in reality, the Imperial name is essentially forgotten. The last two versions were j-u-n-k.

While some on here think the answer is "all RWD V8 cars for sale", the world has moved on from 1958.

Which, the early 90s K car and the early 80's trunkless models? Neither was a very inspiring car, the 80's at least had EFI as a novelty attraction, but that soon wore out when the EFI failed to work... ;)

Most early 80's Imperials have been converted to carbs long ago.

Not the F-bodys, B-bodys or ZR1s... :wink:

Well the INTERIOR of the original Hummer wasn't very "user friendly" in a family sort of way...

The Imperial woulda been more useful, but in a time of gas prices scaring people into small cars it woulda been sitting on the lots more than UNuseful?

Have you ever seen the Super88 Chrysler concept, or whatever it was called? It was another concept that was a little "out to lunch"...

:AH-HA_wink:

Which is why I'm glad they aren't building it. Frankly, I'm sick of seeing full-sized Chryslers. That's all you see around here... to say nothing of the base and Touring 300s outfitted to look like Cs (which I do see quite a few of) and SRT8s (which I have seen exactly one of).

I looked around for some Chrysler concepts but never saw that one... but I did see a couple of bad ones. :lol:

EDIT: I just read the rest of the thread and saw the picture of that Super... thing. I'm gonna go soak my eyes in alcohol now.

Edited by Lamar

EDIT: I just read the rest of the thread and saw the picture of that Super... thing. I'm gonna go soak my eyes in alcohol now.

Hahaha!!!!!!!

Sorry!

I'm not even gonna mention the MaxxCabb concept thingie.... Oops!!!!!!!