Followers 0
Flybrian

2008 Mercury ________

21 posts in this topic

Spy Report
Mercury Crossover Is Latest in Ford's Name-Change Rampage
Posted Image
Link to Original Article @ Popular Mechanics

This shot of a crossover may look familiar, but chances are you’ve never seen this particular Mercury model on the road. The vehicle, never named, was a proposed Mercury version of today’s Ford Taurus X (nee Freestyle). Mercury planned to introduce the vehicle as a 2008 model earlier this year, but abruptly dropped the project when the Sable was discontinued last year.

Finding this sequence tough to follow? That’s no surprise, given the name changes Ford has thrown us recently. You have the one-year life span of the Lincoln Zephyr—now the Lincoln MKX—as a prime example of the company’s addiction to name erasing. Remember Sable? Or Thunderbird? The original Taurus? The Five Hundred, Windstar and Freestar?

Now, with the premature death of the Mercury crossover pictured above and at right, the company has gone to new lengths in its name-change rampage—killing a whole vehicle before it even got a moniker. —Jim Dunne

That isn't actually bad looking in a totally Soccer Mom sorta way

Mercury planned to introduce the vehicle as a 2008 model earlier this year, but abruptly dropped the project when the Sable was discontinued last year.

Wait... so... the Montego just became the Sable, and already got cancelled? What does this have to do with there not being a Sable X, or whatever?

If the Sable got cancelled, Mercury's webmaster didn't get the memo.

So, I have no idea what Mr. Dunne is talking about in that sentence.

Edited by aaaantoine

Uhhh, I saw a Sable like yesterday. It didn't get cancelled.

It looks better than the Taurus X, which itself is a competitive vehicle.

Just bring it out already....we've seen it in testing, it ain't that impressive, but just put us and it all out of its misery and bring it out so it'll get crushed by the Lambdas...

Saw a Silver Birch Sable Premier AWD when on vacation in Sodus Point a couple weeks ago-now, I think a Chevy Malibu is uninspired-the back end of this car was the most uninspired thing I'd ever seen, with Sable above Premier badges to the left, a small, chrome applique that ran across the bottom of the decklid, and a big round Mercury badge in the center, that's it. Even though Mercury still hasn't learned anything by merely slapping a chrome waterfall grille onto their equivalents of SE/SEL/Limited-trimmed Fords, the Mercury stylists should have a tiny bit more imagination than that...I'd like to see them do better, I'd like to see them have a worthwhile future, namely, a Saturn-like makeover.

Looks like something that should have came out 10 years ago to me..?

This doesn't look any worse than the Ford Taurus X, which isn't saying much. I agree with the person who submitted the idea for Mercury to undergo a Saturn-like makeover. I think this is a perfect idea. Poor Mercury is totally irrelevant in today's auto market. Its entire lineup is made up of badge-engineered Ford products that do not offer anything distinct from their fully loaded Ford counterparts (although I do have to admit that some of the products look better with Mercury design DNA; the Mariner is far better looking than the Escape). I would like to see Mercury turn into the distributor of products from Ford of Europe. Ford of Europe's kinetic design philosophy is a perfect match for the upscale aspirations of the Mercury brand. It would give Mercury a chance to offer something completely different and make itself exciting and relevant. Let the Ford brand keep the Red, White, and Bold styling themes and let Mercury finally have its own identity as an upscale Eurocentric brand.

MetaOne?

Sable X?

I think they need to build this to replace Mountaineer when Explorer dies or w/e. Just so Mercury gets some of the crossover segment, whereas Lincoln gets both an Edge and a Flex... Dumb.

You would think a segment with lots of Female buyers would at least be in placwe at a brand that has catered itself to women.

Anyway I agree with the comments that Mercury should be more like Saturn in sharing with Europe. A Mercuryl S-Max would KILL!

it was better to concentrate on the taurus x project and push the mariner for now. mercury deserves its own unique crossover though.

I saw a red Sable the other day...they look pretty sharp.

It makes more sense for Mercury to have this vehicle than Ford to have the Taurus X, as the Ford dealers will have the Edge and Flex, and Mercury won't have a people mover above the Mariner and below the Lincoln MKX.

It makes more sense for Mercury to have this vehicle than Ford to have the Taurus X, as the Ford dealers will have the Edge and Flex, and Mercury won't have a people mover above the Mariner and below the Lincoln MKX.

Very true, plus I think the Mercury front end looks sharper. Why go through all of the trouble to build this and not go through with it...the worst it can do is add sales to that platform.

I'm glad they dropped this vehicle before it even came to fruition. Mercury needs it's own identity and in order for that to happen, that means no more fancier looking Ford vehicles.

For what its worth the Mercury nose makes this "crossover wagon" look

a lot less ugly/plain and also gives it a "I wanna be an SRX" look...

Dunne is a friggin' idiot..

1) The Sable HASN'T been cancelled (And is rather sharp IMO)

2) The Zephyr is now the MKZ, not the MKX (The Edge based crossover)

**** Ford should can the Taurus X and give the vehcile to Mercury as this. It looks better and would spread the SUV/wagon glory to prop up Merc.

Wasn't this canceled way before the Montego went through its name change and facelift, and this is identical to the facelifted Sable, is it a sure thing its canceled?

He means the when the last-gen Sable was discontinued, he's not talking about the current renamed Montego.

Completely agree. Soon Ford will have 4 midsize SUVs/CUVs in the $25K-$30K price range. Explorer, Flex, Edge, Taurus X. And, the Explorer is said to be going unibody for its next generation. And they wonder why sales of the Explorer tanked.

I think there may have been some timing issues and Ford not wanting to leave a gap in their lineup with that market for 6 months, but who knows their reasoning? I still reserve hope that Ford would drop the Taurus X after this generation and bring a Mercury version, but maybe that's expecting too much from Ford.

Too bad they aren't going to build it after going through all the trouble to get it this far... looks pretty much production ready, and better than the Taurus X

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0