NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Spied: 2008 Chevrolet Aveo5 caught

16 posts in this topic

The Chevrolet Aveo, a rebadged GM Daewoo Kalos, was The General's answer to the rising popularity of the subcompact cars in North America. The Aveo Sedan and Hatchback were unveiled in 2004 and sales were going strong. The cars offered sub-par fuel economy and poor driving, but offered the features for a relatively cheap price and that was enough to win over the hands of many Americans. By 2006, the Aveo was lagging behind its competitors and made the move of redesigning the vehicle, only 2 years after the predecessor was shown. While the sedan received the new design, the more popular hatchback model stayed as is and continued on for 2007.

In an amusement park lot in South Korea, the photographer spotted the updated Aveo5 and managed to snap three pics. We think the black camo and the distictive yellow paint was enough to grab his attention. The front will receive the current Aveo Sedan's fascia, while the rear will receive new taillights. The interior will be lifted from the current Aveo Sedan, but that's what we wanted and that's what we'll get. Something that caught our attention was the existence of side fender vents. On a sub-$18K car? They're likely non-functional, but GM seems to know fender vents are the new black these days.

The Aveo and the Aveo5 are both assembled in GM Daewoo's Bupyong plant in South Korea. Sales speculations have been pushed further to the fourth-quarter of 2007 or even next spring.

Posted Image

more photos at link....

source:

http://thecarblogger.blogspot.com/2007/07/...eo5-caught.html

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Trying to figure out how much of a HP increase will be required to hold up and move a large chrome bar in the grille with a Bowtie on it. And to see if it will be worth it.

I see FAMILIES in these things and cringe! I have a rule about cars: If while sitting in your car at a light, you look UP to a Corolla - get OUT! Too Small.

This vehicle will officially render side-vents as 'lame' .

Other than that, it should be a good competitor against Kia and Hyundai.

What's the point in buying a tiny car that is rated for the same fuel mileage as the larger Cobalt? <_<

At 6'2", I have no problems sitting either in the front seats or rear of this vehicle. The ride and handling is about what one would expect for a $13k (Can) car. There is decent power. The newer interior is actually not bad. I would have preferred a quicker refresh, but as we've discussed before it seems that GM is putting out so many fires these days that it takes time to make a complete circle.

My only major complaint about this vehicle is, as Ocn just pointed out, the lacklustre gas mileage. I don't know why that is. With 103 hp, and how light this vehicle is, I would have expected better gas mileage. If gas mileage is the main objective, then either get this with a 5 spd or buy a Cobalt, because in REAL world driving conditions, the Aveo is even worse than the EPA numbers.

With the standard 15" wheels, nobody is looking up to the Corolla. In fact, the ride and handling on the Aveo is not unlike the Corolla - and coming from me, that can be taken either way.

I was hoping the 5 would get a lot funkier styling and be a bit cooler...

I'm not sure why GM is dragging it's feet on a car that could establish them in the small car game while the asians once again run away with the class (Maybe not in sales, but in image and appeal)

I just think more emphasis should be put on the Aveo line with things heading the way they are. And I think where GM had an advantage, the asian 3 are stealing their thunder quickly. The Aveo should be efficient, fun and cool; not bland, basic and fleeted.

I know sales are still pretty good though, right? the Aveo is quickly going down the same road the Colorado Xtreme did. It's a HUGE opportunity that is being squandered for who knows what.

I'm not sure why GM is dragging it's feet on a car that could establish them in the small car game while the asians once again run away with the class (Maybe not in sales, but in image and appeal)

Maybe they'll wating for the NG Corsa platform to consolidate all the smaller cars on the same architecture...

This car is downright goofy. As a Chevrolet salesman I'm embarassed to have one on the lot.

With all the cover on, doesn't look much different to me right now... At least not as radical as the sedan.

Edited by ToniCipriani

A little disappointing. It's good that the interior will be the same as the redesigned 2007 sedan; the exterior is just a face lift. It doesn't seem very adventurous considering the current market climate with high gas prices. I thought they would make the exterior look more different than the current 5 door model. Why would it take GM so long to bring this to market?

A little disappointing. It's good that the interior will be the same as the redesigned 2007 sedan; the exterior is just a face lift. It doesn't seem very adventurous considering the current market climate with high gas prices. I thought they would make the exterior look more different than the current 5 door model. Why would it take GM so long to bring this to market?

I think it needs a more economical powertrain before a face lift.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room