mustang84

'08 Taurus gets nearly same mileage as Camry

32 posts in this topic

Officials figures are in:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/2008car2tab...=2&id=24403

Camry: 19/28; 101 cu. ft passenger volume; 15 cu ft trunk

Taurus: 18/28; 108 cu. ft passenger volume; 21 cu ft trunk

And the sad thing is that the much larger Taurus is more efficient than the V6 Ford Fusion (18/26).

That new engine really makes a difference. It would be nice if they could make a smaller version of the engine for the standard V6 in the Fusion. Keep the larger one for the Fusion SVT.

Crown Vic room for Camry mileage...... not bad.

Link isn't working for me. Are these numbers based on the "new" EPA tests?

The Camry trunk is only 15 cu. ft!? That can't be right.

One whole cubic foot larger than the Cobalt's trunk...

It indeed is. Cobalt's boot is 12.8 cuft.

Camry's actually only 14.5. Zero point five more than a G6.

And that chart isn't even right. They list a 3.9L G6 Sedan for 2008.

It's a Toyota, what do you expect?

america, wake up. if you want boring transport, go taurus. not camry.

my 500 got almost 29 mpg on its last trip. The new engine is suppose to equal or better mpg.

ford needs to go full frontal with the taurus ad blitz. go to a ford lot and you will see NICE sables and taurus for barely the 26-28 range.

the car makes tons of sense for so many, but its not 'Japanese'.

What I want- a C/D comparo where the new taurus is compared to the camry and wins. Maybe won't happen, but even if it did people would still buy tons of camrys.

They won't market the Taurus against the Camry because that's what the Fusion is for.

Fusion:Camry::Taurus:Avalon.

america, wake up. if you want boring transport, go taurus. not camry.

my 500 got almost 29 mpg on its last trip. The new engine is suppose to equal or better mpg.

ford needs to go full frontal with the taurus ad blitz. go to a ford lot and you will see NICE sables and taurus for barely the 26-28 range.

the car makes tons of sense for so many, but its not 'Japanese'.

What I want- a C/D comparo where the new taurus is compared to the camry and wins. Maybe won't happen, but even if it did people would still buy tons of camrys.

EXACTLY!!!

But now that the Taurus is better than the Camry and has a chance to threaten it's sales look for TOTAL ridicule of the car.

The media will never allow america to know the FACTS. It's all about the myth of "anything is better than domestic"

Ford needs to promote the '08 Taurus as heavily as they did the original '86. It seems like an all-around excellent 'everycar' from what I've read.

They won't market the Taurus against the Camry because that's what the Fusion is for.

Fusion:Camry::Taurus:Avalon.

there will be a lot more cross shopping of taurus vs camry than you think since they price out similarly.

Both the Fusion and the Taurus will be marketed toward the Camry, trust me. Both of those cars replace the last Taurus, and it would be a lost opportunity NOT to market this toward the Camry drones.

Ford needs to get up there and rub these figures right in Toyota's face in magazine ads.

Wow, what a shocker. Here you have Toyota promoting themselves as a "green" car company with all the Prius hype, then Ford brings out a similarly sized V6 engine that very nearly matches the supposedly green company's V6 in mileage figures. What a blow to Toyota. I agree with everyone who said Ford should promote the heck out of this fact. I have to admit that Ford has impressed me by taking an underachiever (Five Hundred/Montego) and turning it into a competitive winner (2008 Taurus/2008 Sable). I do hope they don't let them linger on endlessly in the marketplace until they become irrelevant like the previous generation Taurus/Sable.

There is one thing that I am confused about. I thought the 2008 Taurus actually competed against the Avalon as a more affordable alternative, just as the Fusion is a more affordable Camry competitor. Even if this is true, I would still market the heck out of the fact that the larger car gets nearly as good gas mileage. When you combine the mileage issue with Ford's recent gains in quality and safety plus the affordability factor, Ford appears to have a product that could win back some import midsize car buyers.

there will be a lot more cross shopping of taurus vs camry than you think since they price out similarly.

I don't doubt at all that they will be cross-shopped, but it will be on more than price alone. Size and space will factor in heavily as well.

When I was looking around for what would be my next car, I had considered the G6 as well as the Camry. Neither made my short list because, although they could be priced out similarly to the Five Hundred (Taurus wasn't out at the time), they just weren't big enough for me. So I looked at the Avalon briefly, before I decided it was too expensive compared to the Five Hunded/Taurus.

Ford right now is busy marketing the Fusion against the Camry and the Accord, which I think is good since those cars are much more similar in all respects. While I think the Taurus is marketable against the Camry, Ford would do better to market its full-size against other brands' full-sizes. It appears to be doing that, since Ford doesn't list the Camry as a competitor against the Taurus.

Wow, what a shocker. Here you have Toyota promoting themselves as a "green" car company with all the Prius hype, then Ford brings out a similarly sized V6 engine that very nearly matches the supposedly green company's V6 in mileage figures. What a blow to Toyota.

What are you talking about? Both are fuel efficient V6 engines. If you want to be "green," you'd get the Camry Hybrid. Ford offers nothing in terms of competition.

If you want to be rational, you get the Taurus. Camry hybrid forces you into a large sedan with no trunk space for a marginal increase in real-world fuel economy offset by a high "market adjustment" on top of the hybrid premium.

You may use more fuel, but you use less $$$.

Wow, what a shocker. Here you have Toyota promoting themselves as a "green" car company with all the Prius hype, then Ford brings out a similarly sized V6 engine that very nearly matches the supposedly green company's V6 in mileage figures. What a blow to Toyota. I agree with everyone who said Ford should promote the heck out of this fact. I have to admit that Ford has impressed me by taking an underachiever (Five Hundred/Montego) and turning it into a competitive winner (2008 Taurus/2008 Sable). I do hope they don't let them linger on endlessly in the marketplace until they become irrelevant like the previous generation Taurus/Sable.

There is one thing that I am confused about. I thought the 2008 Taurus actually competed against the Avalon as a more affordable alternative, just as the Fusion is a more affordable Camry competitor. Even if this is true, I would still market the heck out of the fact that the larger car gets nearly as good gas mileage. When you combine the mileage issue with Ford's recent gains in quality and safety plus the affordability factor, Ford appears to have a product that could win back some import midsize car buyers.

word to your mother.

BTW, mulally's personal car is a 500 so you can bet it is his mission to make sure this car get the attention it deserves. he has promised this car will not die on the vine.

What are you talking about? Both are fuel efficient V6 engines. If you want to be "green," you'd get the Camry Hybrid. Ford offers nothing in terms of competition.

no one buying a bread and butter car is that obsessed with being green.

the taurus trunk is over twice the size of the camry hybrid's. it depends if you want utility or high mpg.

in case you haven't heard, the hybrid hype has been called on the carpet.

This is NOT anything new!! The domestic brands have been building larger cars that get BETTER fuel economy then the LOWER GEARED Asian imports for YEARS!! Till the Hybrids came along a LARGER/HEAVER 3.8L 3.05 to 1 axel ratio Impala/GP ect would regularly surpass 30MPG on the highway while the SMALLER higher winding 3.0L CAMCORDS couldent with their LOWER then 400 to 1 axel ratio's!! In the REAL WORLD the domestics have been better in the last 20+ years at fuel economy. But now that advantage is going away with MORE Asian "LIKE" gearing showing up with the newer "COPIES" 4VPC-DOHC V6's from the domestics!! At least the Asian brands are continueing to make their cars LARGER and HEAVER with LARGER ENGINES while keeping the LOWER axel ratios they have traditionally used!!

This is NOT anything new!! The domestic brands have been building larger cars that get BETTER fuel economy then the LOWER GEARED Asian imports for YEARS!! Till the Hybrids came along a LARGER/HEAVER 3.8L 3.05 to 1 axel ratio Impala/GP ect would regularly surpass 30MPG on the highway while the SMALLER higher winding 3.0L CAMCORDS couldent with their LOWER then 400 to 1 axel ratio's!! In the REAL WORLD the domestics have been better in the last 20+ years at fuel economy. But now that advantage is going away with MORE Asian "LIKE" gearing showing up with the newer "COPIES" 4VPC-DOHC V6's from the domestics!! At least the Asian brands are continueing to make their cars LARGER and HEAVER with LARGER ENGINES while keeping the LOWER axel ratios they have traditionally used!!

`93-`97 Corolla 1.6L/5-spd gets 40+mpg highway...real world...how many cars can do that then and now...seriously I'm curious.

Oh I saw a sliver Taurus...first one...looks alright but I actually like what they did with the Sable's front end better.

Edited by Dodgefan

`93-`97 Corolla 1.6L/5-spd gets 40+mpg highway...real world...how many cars can do that then and now...seriously I'm curious.

Oh I saw a sliver Taurus...first one...looks alright but I actually like what they did with the Sable's front end better.

I was refering to (as was this thread) the CAMCORD midsizers not the compact Corolla/Civic ect. The smaller class sedans from Asia even with lower gearing were and in most cases still are more efficent for now! The domestic compact's use the same DOHC 4VPC designs with cymeler gearing as the imports but of larger displacement so OBVEIOUSLY they will use more fuel. The larger slow turning OHV V6's of the traditional domestic "midsize" sedan was more efficent even in a larger package then the higher stresed and smaller Asian DOHC V6's. But that is now changing as the domestics get away from their more efficent OHV slower turning designs in the mid to mid-fullsize classes. They NEVER GOT credit for their superior fuel economy then in that larger then compact class as they should have!----I WONDER WHY?? :scratchchin:

They aren't bad looking cars and thank god for the hp boost. I saw many of them fleeted on my trip tho. The new ones already!

They aren't bad looking cars and thank god for the hp boost. I saw many of them fleeted on my trip tho. The new ones already!

That sucks.

I haven't even seen one on the road here yet, fleet or not.

i have read owner reports of freestyle and 500 owners who would sometimes get 31-32 mpg on highway with their vehicles. since the new powertrain is equally as efficient with all the extra power, its safe to say you'll get pleasing highway mpg out of the taurus.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead