Sketch Competition #20 - Kappa Deux, Part I

Welcome to Sketch Competition #20!

Posted Image

Sexy. Fast. Exciting. Old? All terms that can adequately describe the current crop of Kappa roadsters, the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn SKY. And though certainly not old to the public, to us they may seem a bit - well - been there, done that. After all, we have been witnessing the Solstice's gestation for the years leading up to its debut and that goes for SKY as well. By the time any car reaches the showrooms, we've already become used to it and are looking ahead to the next big thing. Even more relevant to the current Kappas is the fact that they were, frankly, cobbled together from exisitng leftover componants and do have some deficiancies - limited trunk space, an altogether goofy-looking ragtop, and no factory coupe variant of either. The latter is especially disappointing to those who loved the idea of the hot Pontiac hatch that the original Solstice concept promised.

Well, its time for you to correct that for the next time around.

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to design the next generation Pontiac Solstice and Saturn SKY. Any design work you do is completely up to you, keeping in mind the size of these cars are meant to be kept as tight as possible - these are roadsters amongst roadsters and should not grow in size beyond their current dimensions. Aside from that, you're free to do whatever you want. Bodystyles also are limited to convertible, coupe, or hatch. Your choice. Again, we highly encourage you to design interiors along with multiple exterior views to really give a complete feel to your design. In these cars especially, interior design is paramount and we'd love to see awesome interiors with awesome exteriors. The last constraint is that this must be a Pontiac or Saturn vehicle. You may even change the name if you so choose, but this must be either a Pontiac or Saturn. If you're wondering about why there's a restriction...well...it says 'Part I' for a reason. :AH-HA_wink:

Please include at minimum 2 (two) of the following:
-3/4 Front View
-3/4 Rear View
-Interior View

**Entries without two perspectives will still be accepted, but will incur a 1-point penalty at the end of voting**

Remember, people will be voting based on the overall presentation of your entry, so the more views, the better, including ones not specifically listed above.

Aside from 800x600 size guidelines, remember this must be a Pontiac or Saturn vehicle.

The winner will recieve a GM-related prize!

Deadline is Monday, August 13th@ 11:59PM your local time.

Good luck! :CG_all:

Is this way too big for a kappa car (truck) GMC version

An interesting concept, but keep working on it for Kappa Deux, Part II. This specific competition is for the next-generation Solstice and SKY only. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

I haven't sat down and sketched anything in a long time...very unhappy with not being able to finish it but I can't get certain angles right and pretty much gave up lol, I started coloring it in photoshop then just merged the sketch and the colored picture later...I'll try harder next time.

Edited by Gizhost

WAY too big for a Sky. Besides, the Sky only fits 2, this looks like the size of a Camaro!

And who says it has to be a skY? If you read you can change the name to whatever you wish, the car is smaller on paper than the posted pictures. Looks about the size of a Cobalt on paper, which I believe is pretty close.

Got the idea from this car and they are about the same size on paper, so there's no possible way it is too big. Thank you, that is my entry regardless.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by SSConceptz

Here's my next-generation Saturn Sky.

"They told me I should go to rehab, but I said no.....no.......no." :ohyeah:

It's too small and the preportions remind me of one of the Euro Subcompact Hardtop Convertibles like the Peugeot 206 CC. The wheelbase and overall length of the car NEEDS to be longer, and the A-piller could be behind the front wheel to create a more RWD look.

I started out making a schematic for this in AppleWorks. I was using the proportions of the current Solstice and tracing my own body over it, and planned to use those schematics to make an isometric sketch. I've used this process for most of the other sketches I've submitted. I worked on the schematics for a couple of days but I went to the file one day and found that it had been corrupted; all the data had been erased from it. I was exasperated and could not bring myself to pursue it any further.

I think there may have been a little divine intervention there because I just got bored today and slopped out my idea with hardly any reference, and I was more pleased with it than what I drew while looking at my schematics.

post-4034-1187582406_thumb.jpg

Edited by §carlet §wordfish

Mine is a Solstice Coupe concept. I wanted to work on a more traditonal roadster as well, but I'm travelling today and ran out of time. My FTP setup is out of whack as well, so this one is uploaded to photobucket. Hope it works....

Posted Image

The headlights look like the MR2, though they don't look as awkward mounted lower. Also reminds me of the Sunfire, but not in a bad way (I always though the Sunfire looked like a baby Firebird.) I like it. It's still swoopy and curvy like the current Solstice but with a more aggressive stance.

The headlights look like the MR2, though they don't look as awkward mounted lower. Also reminds me of the Sunfire, but not in a bad way (I always though the Sunfire looked like a baby Firebird.) I like it. It's still swoopy and curvy like the current Solstice but with a more aggressive stance.

Thanks Scarlet. I like the overall appearance of the current Soltice, especially the back. But the front end lost the beveled look of the Grand Am and GP grilles, which, to me, makes it look a little flimsy. And when they announced the Solstice GTP, I expected some sort of ram air look to the hood and was a little surprised and disappointed when all they did was widen the opening around the fog lamps. So this is kind of he Solstice GTP I would like to have seen from the beginning.

Except I forgot to draw the foglights. D'oh!!

Edited by JBarraxJr