4-door accounts for 82% of total Wrangler production

People really don't buy manuals in these cars you people think they will. The take rate is actually very, very, very low in the midsize car and SUV market. Shoulda, coulda, woulda means nothing because - again - no one buys them. GM offered 5-speed in variety of W-body cars in the early 90s, virtually every single W-body except the Regal and they, too, had a very low rate. Accords and Camries are rarely sold with sticks. Even most Altimas and 6s are probably automatics.

I also completely have no understanding, 68, behind your rationale that the CTS-V and Z06 should be stick only? Why? Aren't you making an argument for choice by saying manuals should be offered in more cars? Then, why restrict choice for automatics? Nonsensical.

I will disagree with you here Fly. Given a right publicity and keeping them (at least one) on the lot and asking the customer to drive one, will improve the chances of selling them. If that was a reasonable justification why did GM offer 6-speed in the G-6 GT and why did they discontinue it? It just sends the signal that they want to be sporty and yet they do not want to be. I am not trying to be sassy, but most does not mean all, which means there is at least some market. Now when it comes to R&D of manual transmissions and spending extra dollars I would have understood, but Epsilons in Europe offer DECENT manual, how much R&D is it to offer in Malibu or Aura or G-6?

The truth is financially GM does not want manual transmissions because they do not make money as the automatics do. If I want a manual, I know what I want, then why can't you put me on a waiting list and then get the car that I need, rather than offering me the dough from the parking lot. Chances are I will make more money for GM than a customer who comes for an automatic and haggles one off the lot. That is because when I go to GM for the car I want not what GM wants to sell, I will have less power in haggling a better deal, since the car will be specifically made for me. But if I go and browse the lot, I will certainly haggle and GM will end up having less money from me.

If the market did not like manuals in the mid-sizers why did Honda give up its 19-year hiatus and offer a 6-speed in their V-6 and plan to keep it for the 2008? If the market is not there why are Nissan X-Terra, Frontier offered in their 4th model year with manual transmissions? Despite of how everybody knows how Toy is why are they still offering 6-speed Tacoma with V-6? If I am a GM fan and I want a 6-speed 3.7l Colorado, guess what? F*** You customer, because we at GM do not think there is a market for it.

Edited by smallchevy

I will disagree with you here Fly. Given a right publicity and keeping them (at least one) on the lot and asking the customer to drive one, will improve the chances of selling them. If that was a reasonable justification why did GM offer 6-speed in the G-6 GT and why did they discontinue it? It just sends the signal that they want to be sporty and yet they do not want to be. I am not trying to be sassy, but most does not mean all, which means there is at least some market. Now when it comes to R&D of manual transmissions and spending extra dollars I would have understood, but Epsilons in Europe offer DECENT manual, how much R&D is it to offer in Malibu or Aura or G-6?

But Europeans like manuals..the percentage of manual transmissions in Europe is much, much higher than it is in the states...probably only 5-10% of US drivers know how to drive a manual, let alone buy one..

(personally, I can go either way...I've had cars and SUVs w/manuals off and on for over 20 years now, but prefer a manual in a performance car and an automatic in a luxury car or daily driver (when I'm in stop-and-go gridlocked freeway traffic, or city driving with lots of lights and traffic, I like to put it in D and forget it)).

Edited by moltar

But Europeans like manuals..the percentage of manual transmissions in Europe is much, much higher than it is in the states...probably only 5-10% of US drivers know how to drive a manual, let alone buy one..

The point I was trying to make was it is not difficult or too costly to put a manual transmission in an Epsilon, as they have been already having them in the European Epsilon cars.

Fly:

Again this is a complex argument.

I've had first hand experience at a few GM Dealerships, I will

tell you that the management who are not neccesarily listening

to the customer are the ones ordering the new allocation.

I remember when my manager at Bill DeLuca explained to me

that the reason he ordered the LAST ever 2002 Camaro we

were allocated in auto was because we NEVER sell sticks...

Did I meantion it was a Black SS t-top?

I can NOT tell you how many people came in to buy that car

and laughed as they walked away.

This was the same guy who said Camaros & Firebird would

nosedive in terms of relsale value in 2002 since they were

being cancelled. I pointed out that the demand will go UP

since no more are being produced and the demand from

kids like me will always be there, his response:

"I was in the car business since before you were alive & I

can tell you no one bought used Citations, Chevettes and

Celebrities after they were discontinued."

There is a reason why Toyota, Honda, Mazda & Nissan sell

ten times the manual transmissions that GM does!

Wanna know why?

BECAUSE their dealer network does not tell the customer to

go F*** themselves when they insist on that 5/6-speed that

the asshole manager ddi not order.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it. :angry:

Words of experience!

There is a reason why Toyota, Honda, Mazda & Nissan sell

ten times the manual transmissions that GM does!

Wanna know why?

BECAUSE their dealer network does not tell the customer to

go F*** themselves when they insist on that 5/6-speed that

the asshole manager ddi not order.

Good one 68. It may be a small field, but manual transmission market is still there and it is non existent for GM. One of the MIT professors whom I work with (82 years old) went with a Passat after being a hardcore GM fan, why? Because the Aura did not have a manual transmission. Now don't call him a sheepling, because he certainly knows what to buy. Here Jilly was telling everybody, well we offer manumatic in the Aura. I was like what an ignorant CEO.

• 5 months later...
If I thought I could live with the ride and handling of a 4x4 Jeep Wrangler on a daily basis, I'd LOVE to have an Unlimited.

I finally got around to test driving an Unlimited yesterday morning. It rides a lot smoother and quieter than previous Wranglers. I still think it looks a little odd, but it was a lot nicer ride that I expected. The interior has that wonderful Chrysler feel, but it isn't quite as bad in a vehicle like the Wrangler. I didn't pull the trigger on the Wrangler because I would prefer a 2-door to the 4-door, the back doors are tiny and a pain to get in and out of, I dont imagine the 2-door would be any more difficult to get a front facing car seat into.

Good one 68. It may be a small field, but manual transmission market is still there and it is non existent for GM. One of the MIT professors whom I work with (82 years old) went with a Passat after being a hardcore GM fan, why? Because the Aura did not have a manual transmission. Now don't call him a sheepling, because he certainly knows what to buy. Here Jilly was telling everybody, well we offer manumatic in the Aura. I was like what an ignorant CEO.

Really? Did you hear about the '98 Mazda Protege that sat on our lot for 9 months - and then we had to sell it at a loss because it was a 5 spd? Or how about the 3 Optra LS 5 spds that we had for over a year, then had to also sell at a loss? Or the used Cobalt SS that is currently on our lot for, like 6 months, because (get ready for this) the three or 4 people I have shown it to (gasp!) want an automatic - which isn't even available on the SS supercharged. Or how about the guy with the 5 spd, 2000 Focus wagon that was aghast to discover (after going to 3 or 4 lots) that basically none of the dealers (GM, Ford or Dodge) wanted it. Or how about the 2 2003 Corvettes we had on the lot that each celebrated a birthday because everyone who liked the color or the equipment or whatever also wanted an automatic?

I could go on, but I think you get the point. Even our two Toyota stores sell less than 3% of their Corollas or Yaris' in manual transmission - and their demographic is heavier into 'new Canadians' who come from countries where standard trannies are the norm. Resale sucks on stick shift. Maintenance costs are higher (try getting 100k on a standard shift in the city!) and, for the most part, fuel consumption between auto and sticks are the same.

Don't get me wrong: my first two new vehicles were stick, but then I lived 2 hours north of Toronto when I bought them. Anyone who lives near a city will grow weary very quickly of having to shift, shift, shift in stalled traffic.

As I have tirelessly said before, what people on this Board WANT and what the driving public WANTS are entirely two different things - and that includes RWD. :duck:

Really? Did you hear about the '98 Mazda Protege that sat on our lot for 9 months - and then we had to sell it at a loss because it was a 5 spd? Or how about the 3 Optra LS 5 spds that we had for over a year, then had to also sell at a loss? Or the used Cobalt SS that is currently on our lot for, like 6 months, because (get ready for this) the three or 4 people I have shown it to (gasp!) want an automatic - which isn't even available on the SS supercharged. Or how about the guy with the 5 spd, 2000 Focus wagon that was aghast to discover (after going to 3 or 4 lots) that basically none of the dealers (GM, Ford or Dodge) wanted it. Or how about the 2 2003 Corvettes we had on the lot that each celebrated a birthday because everyone who liked the color or the equipment or whatever also wanted an automatic?

I could go on, but I think you get the point. Even our two Toyota stores sell less than 3% of their Corollas or Yaris' in manual transmission - and their demographic is heavier into 'new Canadians' who come from countries where standard trannies are the norm. Resale sucks on stick shift. Maintenance costs are higher (try getting 100k on a standard shift in the city!) and, for the most part, fuel consumption between auto and sticks are the same.

Don't get me wrong: my first two new vehicles were stick, but then I lived 2 hours north of Toronto when I bought them. Anyone who lives near a city will grow weary very quickly of having to shift, shift, shift in stalled traffic.

As I have tirelessly said before, what people on this Board WANT and what the driving public WANTS are entirely two different things - and that includes RWD. :duck:

My point is ignoring smaller markets of 2% or may be 3% in each and every car segment makes a loss of a lot of sales in a whole picture. GM should give an option of manual transmission. Yes it may be a small market, but there is a market. If Epsilons in Europe have that capability, how much development dollars are going to be spent to get that here? As GM is mostly globalizing the platforms, it is not too difficult is it?

People who are going to buy the vehicle with manual transmission know what they are looking for. Look at MAFKU's case, he bought the CTS with 2008 with manual transmission. He had to special order it, which meant that he could not haggle too much on the price as he could have on the automatic. Even if it may be only 5%, but those 5% will bring you as a dealer and GM more money than the automatic would, wouldn't it? Even BMW's. Acura's and others who offer stick shift, have higher transaction prices than similarly equipped automatics.

My example said what NON-BOARD MEMBER WANTED not WHAT I WANTED.

In the 60's what percentage of the total market were FWD? Not many, people still lived and drove in the snow belt. They did not have stability control and other nannies to help them, did they? Yet RWD lived and thrived? Why are people now wanting FWD? Because change of perception that Japanese manufacturers brought in the 70's and American manufacturers followed.

Take a look at BMW 116i and MB A150. Both compete in the small luxury vehicles. BMW is RWD and MB is FWD. Both are almost equal in weight, power and torque performance.

Following are the fuel economies:

MB A150:

Combined Fuel efficiency: 45.8 miles/Imperial Gallon

BMW 116i:

Combined Fuel Efficiency: 48.3 miles/Imperial Gallon

Off goes that argument that FWD are more fuel sippers. Just like Toyota is best in quality, the perception that FWD are better than RWD in snow has got stuck in the people's mind and if I am not wrong it might have began from the 70's, not did I experience that, you could help me with it as you were old enough to look and experience cars at that time.

A company seperates itself from the others when it convinces people that the different product they built is superior or equal to the other products the people are currently using. Current GM lacks that, and it is a point to work on.

GM needs to pick a handful of focused models in their lineup that have MT. and limit it to that.

Or get off their ass and get a DSG type tranny out pronto.

I would say 2-3 pontiacs should get a stick and a saturn or two and a couple chevy's.

GM has a lot of MT cars but surprise, they never seem to have something simple like a 6 cyl, MT G6 or Saturn Aura. Or a 4 cylinder MT Malibu....i.e. a larger MT car that mere mortals can afford. Or even one reasonably priced AWD sedan or crossover with MT.

CTSv's and corvettes and all that are great but someone like me with a family can't afford or use that stuff.

I think some of this depends on the car and the buyer. The guy who bought my dad's 2006 Acura TL 6MT w/Nav lives in TX -- he saw the ad on Autotrader.com and had the car shipped back to TX from CT. The buyer specifically stated how hard it was to find a stick. My Dad's 2003 VW Beetle Turbo S 6MT was sold on eBay to a buyer in Iowa. On a truck it went from CT to IA. And when I sold my 2000 BMW 323i 5MT the first question people asked was to confirm it had a manual trans and not an automatic. All 3 cars were gone in 30days or less. Marketing and sales go beyond the local market these days for buyers looking a particular product. Even CarMax will bring in inventory from other stores if a buyer is interested. My friend's 2004 CTS 6MT he sold to CarMax sold locally in less than 2 weeks!

In contrast, my local BMW dealer has a CPO 2005 330i twin to my car that has an automatic instead of the manual trans. It's been on their lot for 6mo+ because buyers looking for the 330i with the performance package want a manual trans.

Isn't this about Jeep Wrangler 4 door sales? Reason Chrysler didn't think of it sooner is there is still the outdated notion of 2 doors being 'sportier' by old time 'car guys' in Detroit. Many times not having a 4 door version of a product hurt since old prodcut planners think the 1960's and 70's were still going on, when 2 doors were the rage.

I finally got around to test driving an Unlimited yesterday morning. It rides a lot smoother and quieter than previous Wranglers. I still think it looks a little odd, but it was a lot nicer ride that I expected. The interior has that wonderful Chrysler feel, but it isn't quite as bad in a vehicle like the Wrangler. I didn't pull the trigger on the Wrangler because I would prefer a 2-door to the 4-door, the back doors are tiny and a pain to get in and out of, I dont imagine the 2-door would be any more difficult to get a front facing car seat into.

One thing about the Wrangler Unlimited is that it becomes a viable second or third car for people with families. you can put kids or extra gear in the back. The second row folds flat and it does have an acceptable quiet ride for a Jeep.

Jeep told us that the Unlimited was produced to help with its "gap" in the market since the XJ jeep was taken off the market. It is an affordable, customizable off-road jeep that people want.

I drove one for a few 1,000 miles when I was part of the launch advertising program with Jeep. The best part is that they off-track WAY less now that they have the wider wheelbase.

Now something that SHOULD be argued LOL is the fact that it has the 3.8 minivan engine in it and not the 4.0L.

I think there's a regional preference for sticks too that no one talks about. I lived in New England for 5 years and remember more sticks there than when I moved to Florida. In Florida, I couldn't get rid of my stick BMW 330CiC with the sport package if I gave it away. Excellent condition, average miles, loaded, and it was priced well within the range of other private listings.

I think some of this depends on the car and the buyer. The guy who bought my dad's 2006 Acura TL 6MT w/Nav lives in TX -- he saw the ad on Autotrader.com and had the car shipped back to TX from CT. The buyer specifically stated how hard it was to find a stick. My Dad's 2003 VW Beetle Turbo S 6MT was sold on eBay to a buyer in Iowa. On a truck it went from CT to IA. And when I sold my 2000 BMW 323i 5MT the first question people asked was to confirm it had a manual trans and not an automatic. All 3 cars were gone in 30days or less. Marketing and sales go beyond the local market these days for buyers looking a particular product. Even CarMax will bring in inventory from other stores if a buyer is interested. My friend's 2004 CTS 6MT he sold to CarMax sold locally in less than 2 weeks!

In contrast, my local BMW dealer has a CPO 2005 330i twin to my car that has an automatic instead of the manual trans. It's been on their lot for 6mo+ because buyers looking for the 330i with the performance package want a manual trans.

>>"Reason Chrysler didn't think of it sooner is there is still the outdated notion of 2 doors being 'sportier' by old time 'car guys' in Detroit. Many times not having a 4 door version of a product hurt since old prodcut planners think the 1960's and 70's were still going on, when 2 doors were the rage. "<<

2-doors ARE 'sportier' than 4-doors and always will be. Witness the decisive lack of 4-port Corvette, ferarri & porsche cars (I know: porsche is working on a 4-dr '911'). Just as 4-dr sedans will always be sportier than 5-door minivans. More doors = more people, which usually = more family, which usually = kids. Nothing buzzkills the image of freedom & individuality than a backseats full of kids, or the illusion of such.

Jeeps are different, yet the same. Their image is rugged, outdoorsy off-roading, not the PC-recommended terrain for all those short back-seat passengers.

This addage follows every decade of auto history from the '20s on up: coupes, roadsters, convertibles, 2-dr hardtops, sports cars always have been & always will be more sought-after and thusly more valuable than even the exact same vehicle with 2 more doors.

Things changed not because of a change in consumer perception or a sudden awareness by the 'new time car guys' in the industry, what happened is that most all cars became more & more cramped and squeezed down, simply making them impractical... not because they were 2-drs but because they no longer worked well as 2-drs.

>>"Reason Chrysler didn't think of it sooner is there is still the outdated notion of 2 doors being 'sportier' by old time 'car guys' in Detroit. Many times not having a 4 door version of a product hurt since old prodcut planners think the 1960's and 70's were still going on, when 2 doors were the rage. "<<

2-doors ARE 'sportier' than 4-doors and always will be. Witness the decisive lack of 4-port Corvette, ferarri & porsche cars

True, but those are sports cars. With an SUV, a 4dr just makes more sense (more 'U').

I was talking to a Jeep dealer of mine that is a client and (this goes to show how out-of-touch many of Chrysler's product planners are) he said that when they introduced the new Wrangler, Chrysler front-loaded the dealers with either 2-dr Wranglers, or 4-dr 2WD Wranglers.....both of which are just about SALE-proof according to him....

The big demand is for 4WD 4-dr Wranglers. The 4-dr for obvious reasons. And the dealer says that, even in SoCal, people want their Wranglers with FOUR-wheel drive. After all....that's what Wranglers are all about. The TWO-wheel drive Wranglers just sit on the lots.

It's amazing to me that Chrysler didn't see this coming......

One thing about the Wrangler Unlimited is that it becomes a viable second or third car for people with families. you can put kids or extra gear in the back. The second row folds flat and it does have an acceptable quiet ride for a Jeep.

Jeep told us that the Unlimited was produced to help with its "gap" in the market since the XJ jeep was taken off the market. It is an affordable, customizable off-road jeep that people want.

I drove one for a few 1,000 miles when I was part of the launch advertising program with Jeep. The best part is that they off-track WAY less now that they have the wider wheelbase.

Now something that SHOULD be argued LOL is the fact that it has the 3.8 minivan engine in it and not the 4.0L.

you mean a good contemporary new in line 6.

I was talking to a Jeep dealer of mine that is a client and (this goes to show how out-of-touch many of Chrysler's product planners are) he said that when they introduced the new Wrangler, Chrysler front-loaded the dealers with either 2-dr Wranglers, or 4-dr 2WD Wranglers.....both of which are just about SALE-proof according to him....

The big demand is for 4WD 4-dr Wranglers. The 4-dr for obvious reasons. And the dealer says that, even in SoCal, people want their Wranglers with FOUR-wheel drive. After all....that's what Wranglers are all about. The TWO-wheel drive Wranglers just sit on the lots.

It's amazing to me that Chrysler didn't see this coming......

quite honestly i cannot comprehend why anyone wrangler shopping or any jeep for that matter would choose to buy a 2wd? help me with that one.? (besides the compass)

quite honestly i cannot comprehend why anyone wrangler shopping or any jeep for that matter would choose to buy a 2wd? help me with that one.? (besides the compass)

Add to that Jeep Grand Cherokee too. Bunch of them used as mommy mobiles.

I agree with you.

In fact, I for myself can't see buying any SUV without 4WD or AWD.

BUT....for Jeep, I guess, offering 2WD versions allows them to bring in the product with a slightly lower price, with slightly better fuel economy. And truth be told, in SoCal at least, too few people travel up into the snowy mountains in the winter time to convince them to get a 4WD Ute. MOST of them sold here are 2WD and is probably just fine for the vast majority of peoples' needs in THIS market at least.

That being said, any Wrangler tends to be a different story.....overwhelmingly people want 4WD when they get a Wrangler....even in SoCal.

At the LA Auto Show last year, they had the Wrangler up on the "rock formation" and they had to change it because they first had a 2WD one up there because thats all they could get their hands on for the auto show at first because that was all that was available in SoCal at the time.

Watch it...you're treading on thin ice there balthy!

I'm in full agreement with YJ - I'll never have a 4dr SUV titled in my name ever.

I am there with you...

Chris

Maybe GM could sell them the Atlas design once the Trailblazer dies.

Ah, history repeating itself would be fantastic.

Kaiser-Jeep bought the tooling for the Buick 225 V6 in the mid-1960s, as GM didn't feel it was worth spending development money on. Jeeps carried this engine for several years until AMC bought the company. About that same time, GM was starting to build more small cars and needed a smaller engine to go in them. AMC sold the tooling back to GM, who promptly revised it into the 231 (3800) V6 we know and love today.

So now, GM could sell the Atlas 4.2 to Chrysler, who could put it in Jeeps and trucks. Then, when Chrysler gets sold off to the Chinese (just a theory...hopefully), they could sell the Atlas back to GM!

Edited by Duncan

>>"Kaiser-Jeep bought the tooling for the Buick 225 V6 in the mid-1960s, as GM didn't feel it was worth spending development money on. "<<

Not quite: #1. the 225 was an expensive engine to build, and #2. with gas @ 33 cents/gal, there simply never were a great quantity of takers for the engine, not when you could get a 155-HP 215 V-8 with a lot more power instead. Selling the tooling was a great way to get some return on the investment instead of just melting it all down. Many would say thank God they did (tho many others would take the opposite stance, and with gusto).

It may be goofy looking, but it is a much needed sales success for Chrysler LLC and Jeep. It is also a long overdue bright idea that has finally been transformed into reality. I still don't understand why it took the company such a long time to figure out that this configuration would be a successful and popular addition to the Wrangler line.

It may be goofy looking, but it is a much needed sales success for Chrysler LLC and Jeep. It is also a long overdue bright idea that has finally been transformed into reality. I still don't understand why it took the company such a long time to figure out that this configuration would be a successful and popular addition to the Wrangler line.

Keep in mind that the "old" Chrysler had this idea long ago, but didn't act on it:

Concept-1997-Jeep-Dakar.jpg

The Jeep Dakar concept, introduced for 1997 and promptly shoved aside in favor of the Liberty by the shortsighted DaimlerChrysler team. Not sure why this would have been so hard to produce...

Keep in mind that the "old" Chrysler had this idea long ago, but didn't act on it:

Concept-1997-Jeep-Dakar.jpg

The Jeep Dakar concept, introduced for 1997 and promptly shoved aside in favor of the Liberty by the shortsighted DaimlerChrysler team. Not sure why this would have been so hard to produce...

The Dakar was much more appealing.