Welcome to Brookville, Pa

Technically, it's a creek. :D Anyways, all of this has inspired me to take some additional pics of good ol' historic Brooville. Don't know when I will, but want to get so close ups of some things as well as some things that aren't shown. Also... sometime later this year... probably a few weeks from now, I want to take some pics of the fall's beauty. :P

Looks like a decent place to live, Vipes. I'll send some more pictures for you to post as soon as I get a new helicopter blade. Durn thing's like a weed whacker, I keep hittin' stuff, and the blade gets smaller and smaller. I barely got off the ground the other day.

If you squint real hard at the bottom ocrner of picture #7 you can see BV towing his Grand Am wiht his ATV. :P

Brookville, Pennsylvania

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Brookville is a borough located in Jefferson County, Pennsylvania, 100 miles (161 km) northeast of Pittsburgh. 2,472 people lived in Brookville in 1900, and 3,003 people lived there in 1910. As of the 2000 census, the borough had a total population of 4,230. It is the county seat of Jefferson County6.

Geography
Brookville is located at 41°9'35" North, 79°4'49" West (41.159654, -79.080276)1.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 8.4 km² (3.2 mi²). 8.3 km² (3.2 mi²) of it is land and none of the area is covered with water.

Demographics
As of the census2 of 2000, there are 4,230 people, 1,849 households, and 1,140 families residing in the borough. The population density is 507.2/km² (1,312.6/mi²). There are 1,976 housing units at an average density of 236.9/km² (613.2/mi²). The racial makeup of the borough is 98.35% White, 0.26% African American, 0.09% Native American, 0.71% Asian, 0.00% Pacific Islander, 0.09% from other races, and 0.50% from two or more races. 0.47% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.

There are 1,849 households out of which 28.0% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.0% are married couples living together, 11.5% have a female householder with no husband present, and 38.3% are non-families. 33.9% of all households are made up of individuals and 18.3% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.23 and the average family size is 2.85.

In the borough the population is spread out with 22.0% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 26.1% from 25 to 44, 23.4% from 45 to 64, and 20.5% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 41 years. For every 100 females there are 83.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 81.2 males.

The median income for a household in the borough is $30,843, and the median income for a family is $38,438. Males have a median income of $29,940 versus $20,395 for females. The per capita income for the borough is $18,437. 13.2% of the population and 9.1% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 25.1% of those under the age of 18 and 8.4% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.

____

Sounds like a nice place to live.

Damn... that's alot of info. :D Sounds about right, too. One thing I noticed about the pics is that there were taken recently... like roughly a month ago. This is evidenced by a building that burnt down roughly a month ago as it isn't in the pics. Also, it is wierd looking at these pics. Everything looks so similar yet so different. That and I can tell you what every single thing is... Anyways, when will Brookville see its first tourist from C&G? :P

Um... Don't really know. I guess I'll live where ever my intended career takes me. Which is Automotive Design. There are no good colleges for that in PA... So, mostly like the Academy of Art college in San Fran. Or a different, better one. It all depends on if I get any Scholarships or grants or such. Loans too... as I really can't afford to go to even the crappiest of colleges. After college it depends on which, if any, Manufacturer I get a job with. So... I just really don't know.

I like it here in Brookville, though.

Um... Don't really know. I guess I'll live where ever my intended career takes me. Which is Automotive Design. There are no good colleges for that in PA... So, mostly like the Academy of Art college in San Fran. Or a different, better one. It all depends on if I get any Scholarships or grants or such. Loans too... as I really can't afford to go to even the crappiest of colleges. After college it depends on which, if any, Manufacturer I get a job with. So... I just really don't know.

[post="27847"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Art Center here in SoCal (Pasadena, to be exact) is where some of the best and most brilliant come out of.....it's brutal to get in to, but that's just about any college of anything, and you have two years to prep for that anyway....then after that, most of the designers are somewhere out here these days.

You can always go back to BV (wich is also what your initials stand for, I notice), but I think we all need to see the "other side" once in our lives....rich need to see the poor and vice versa, folks from big cities should take in small towns, etc.

Are you more of a Philly team person, Pittsburgh, or do you like out of state sports more?

You can always go back to BV (wich is also what your initials stand for, I notice), but I think we all need to see the "other side" once in our lives....rich need to see the poor and vice versa, folks from big cities should take in small towns, etc.

I agree, get out and see the world, or at least a different perspective on life. That's the main reason I love Los Angeles so much, it is the anti-Indianapolis in so many good ways, and only a few bad.

Or... I could stay in Brookville and just travel alot. :D Although... I kind of already do that.

Are you more of a Philly team person, Pittsburgh, or do you like out of state sports more?

I'm not into sports that much, but I am a Pittsburgh supporter. Edited by blackviper8891

Hey BV, how far are you from Williamsport? I'm up here for college at the Pennsylvania College of Technology......... Williamsport is a total opposite of where I live back home in Sinking Spring........ if anything, this place makes me appreciate where I live because here it's boring and dead.

Art Center here in SoCal (Pasadena, to be exact) is where some of the best and most brilliant come out of.....it's brutal to get in to, but that's just about any college of anything, and you have two years to prep for that anyway....then after that, most of the designers are somewhere out here these days.

[post="28216"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yep, my sister goes to Art Center, but for graphic design instead. She came back from Denmark recently after setting up the INDEX summit thing in Copenhagen. Being a private school, it isn't cheap... tuition is $36K/year, not including living expenses or supplies.

Oh... about 80 miles or so, I think. West, that is. It's in the center of Jefferson county. 20 miles north of Punxsutawny, 20 miles west of DuBois, and 20 miles east of Clarion. It's off exit 78 of I-80. Also, for life insurance purposes, all of you guys aren't serial killers, right? :lol: :D

• 2 months later...
It's seems like a nice little town. . . I stoped in for some gas on my way to New York. One question, what's the main source of income? I can't imagine there be much work out there.

Um... Factories for the most part. More than a few people in my family work at them and there are quite a few of them. Otherwise, it's a mix of several different things. Farming, lumber, teaching, small businesses, oil/gas companies, etc. Oh... for all the bigger it is, we have quite a few lawyers and business people here.

It's amazing how your topography in PA completely randomizes the street layout.

Here in Iowa (and a good portion of the plains states), everything is a grid. And even out in the suburbs where you have curvier streets and cul-de-sacs, they are still within an overall grid of major avenues. Our grids are normally north-south oriented, although in some smaller towns that were built along an angled railroad, they'll line them up with the railroad instead. And even in rural areas, all roads are 1 mile x 1 mile grids. Hell, counties are grid shaped. :P

The thing about grids is that even though they make it easy to find your way around, they can be inefficient. Most of the roads in the Eastern US go directly from city to city...here you usually have to go a certain distance east or west, and then a certain distance north or south if you want to go to a city that is at an angle from where you are at. If there was a road that went directly to ISU from my hometown, I could probably get here in an hour and 15 minutes. But instead, it takes me 2 hours because I have to go east, then north.

Posted Image

Here, streets originally oriented with the railroad, but now they align with the north-south axis
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by mustang84

[post="28216"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Great philosophy to have. This way you get an equal sampling and a balanced perspective. I would add try different cities, different suburbs, different "small towns", and even different countries...

Looks like a perfect size town. I like that turn of the century drawing, it shows how they cleared everything back then. I wonder if it was origionally settled and RR as a logging town like most were, then other resources came latter. You said there has been mineing right ? Coal ? We went out to Butler twice about 7-8 years ago. Two of our dogs came from a breeder in Butler. In fact the males name is Lucan Butler (Luc) aka (big doppy dog) (killin machine) :P. Anyhow we must have flown right past Brookville 3 times, the one time I went up around 79 to 90, bla, very boreing route. 88, 81 & 80 is nicer. I liked the area along 68 and thats like your back yard. Down into that town with the Allegheny River...... ? Theres one town that is right on a long hill and there is a sign for trucks....no engine brakes, or no jake brakes.

WOW.....what a cool website......

Well, there were no current photos of my city, Aliso Viejo, but here's the maps that came up on the site......

Posted Image

And here's where Aliso Viejo is located relative to other California cities.....

Posted Image

....and here's where it is relative to its location within Orange County......

Posted Image

(I hope these pics come out big enough)

I like a lot of what Brookville seems to be- small, sleepy & 'old skool'. I can smell the mellowing vintage sheetmetal in people's backyards & garages from these pictures alone. Hunt me down a rust-free '59 Buick, willya? Town nearest to me when growing up had about 2400 people and didn't look nearly as 'built-up' as Brookville does. Gotta say tho- those house values are a fraction of NJ real estate... tho of course the flip side is your folks aren't getting their skulls caved in quarterly with a 2x6 come tax time.

Looks like a perfect size town. I like that turn of the century drawing, it shows how they cleared everything back then. I wonder if it was origionally settled and RR as a logging town like most were, then other resources came latter. You said there has been mineing right ? Coal ?

[post="68968"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh my.. I know the history of it, but I can't remember it at the moment. I know... it was land given to a guy after the civil war. The name of the guy and exactly what was first built... escapes me... I guess it's time to make another trip to the Brookville Museum! :P

I like a lot of what Brookville seems to be- small, sleepy & 'old skool'. I can smell the mellowing vintage sheetmetal in people's backyards & garages from these pictures alone. Hunt me down a rust-free '59 Buick, willya?

[post="69020"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Heh.. Alright, but I doubt I will. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Meh... was bored, so I took some pics on Main Street at night after it rained last night. Don't know why, but I did. Maybe it'd convince someone to come here... Or not, whatever. But I always dreamt of just walking down Main Street like that with some guy... to just bask in the feel of the town and enjoy it... *sigh* I'm hopeless, huh?

The Courthouse:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Some pics off the Courthouse steps:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Pic of a cake of the Courthouse done by a local bakery:
Posted Image

Some street shots:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The "Scarlet Cord", Teen center. They commonly have bands playing there, including that night. God, I love walking down mainstreet like that... listening to the music... Wish I had someone to do it with...
Posted Image

The YMCA, pretty much speaks for itself:
Posted Image

Damnit, I hate feeling lonely... :(

Uhh . . . congratulations on living near Pittsburgh?

[post="83386"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thanks! :lol:

No... The sig and pictures... duh.. :P

I'll be up in a few days.

[post="83390"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Since you have a partner and are much older... how about you bring someone my age up with you, who's cute, so I can fulfill my dream of enjoying downtown Brookville with guy? I'd really like that, you know... It'd cure my loneliness and other things. :D

That's it... there'll be a "Welcome to Rancho Palos Verdes, Ca" thread this weekend.  :P

Brilliant pics, by the way.

[post="83393"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thanks.

Since you have a partner and are much older... how about you bring someone my age up with you, who's cute, so I can fulfill my dream of enjoying downtown Brookville with guy? I'd really like that, you know... It'd cure my loneliness and other things. :D
Thanks.

[post="83426"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hahah...jeesh, you make it sound like he's 45. Now that's *really old* :D

Thanks.

Much older!?! <_< We're still in our 20's! Not ready to hit the shuffle board deck just yet!

Haha, yeah, the sig and pictures are cool. Coming from a small town myself, I must say that Brookville has a lot more pretty parts to it than Dunn.

Hahah...jeesh, you make it sound like he's 45. Now that's *really old* :D

[post="83466"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Much older!?!  <_<    We're still in our 20's! Not ready to hit the shuffle board deck just yet!

[post="83492"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I know, but you're both almost 10 years older than me. That's old enough. :AH-HA_wink: