Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MRDETROITMETAL

early WIP...Caddy sedan NG

15 posts in this topic

Now in response to some of your comments here is something that is intended as a production car, like the monte carlo I posted here it too is a WIP, so these are just for kicks, tho I post them on my concept cars gallery of the website when they are done. I do these mainly for entertainment on the site, but hey ya never know, I have come very close to the real production cars quite a few times !!! :scratchchin:

yeah it is small, untilI do more detail this will give you the basic feel of it anyway, open to ideas on this one too !!!...?

Personally I like the front clip alot, not so sure about the sides or the roofline, but I do like the rear clip too.

I was thinking of something here that can be translated into both a sedan and a coupe

EDIT : version 2 sketch out posted here now, revised the sides & front a bit as well as the roofline to a more coupe styled look:

EDIT 3 further refined look to front & side (still alot of clean up to do tho !):

Posted Image

Shot at 2007-07-24

Posted Image

Shot at 2007-07-25

post-1820-1185157466_thumb.jpg

post-1820-1185326534_thumb.jpg

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

The tailights are interesting and I kinda like them...the rest needs to be turned into beer cans :thumbsup:

Ditch the tiny PT cruiser headlamp units

And that bizzare hoffmeister kink type thing

And those crappy wheels.

And use a CTS grille

There are many things not working here. Cadillacs just don't have that many curves anymore. This is the 21st century. Art and Science, dude.

Keep tinkering with that design, though.

Ditch the tiny PT cruiser headlamp units

And that bizzare hoffmeister kink type thing

And those crappy wheels.

And use a CTS grille

There are many things not working here. Cadillacs just don't have that many curves anymore. This is the 21st century. Art and Science, dude.

Keep tinkering with that design, though.

^ THX I hear you !...the Art & science thing is DONE tho, according to GM !! they have moved past that to something more and thats what I am looking for here....I am really looking for the Next step ahead with this ( tho so far it is not even approaching that !!...yet.)

getting a more defined look to it now, any more ideas ? I used the CTS grille on this one as posted here works fine for me, you can start to see the feel of the car now I think alot better...still along way to go to finish detail and I have to go back to the rear view too...:

Posted Image

Shot at 2007-07-24

I'd suggest raising/flattening the beltline. I know it's common these days, but it would compliment the formal roofline far better.

...the Art & science thing is DONE tho, according to GM !!

When did they say THAT?

^ THX I hear you !...the Art & science thing is DONE tho, according to GM !! they have moved past that to something more and thats what I am looking for here....I am really looking for the Next step ahead with this ( tho so far it is not even approaching that !!...yet.)

Right, that's why the new CTS still has Art & Science styling. :rolleyes:

'08 CTS is still very MUCH Art & Science... with updated grille and small details.

^^ I know I am looking PAST the A&S thing to the NG, which I think will be more curves into the angles of the style. Again from the same interveiw with Mr Queen on Autoline Detroit, he stated that the Art & Science thing has been established and that the designers are now moving into that more "uncomfortable zone" in an effort to reach a new design look that will keep all GM cars ahead of the competitive curve. He said that the first 20 feet is what matters in a design, that it has to draw a person closer by having a bit of what is not expected, yet continuing the freshness and identity of each brand.

To that end, here we are at 1/3 of the way there now, I am posting each step here for a reason for the benefit of you all so that it may create a better understanding of MY process, which IS different from the typical Cut & Paste style so prevalent in photo chops. As you see there is alot more drawing and sculpting in my technique by intent, as my background is that of a painter & sculptor not a photographer.

It is my hope that by posting each step of my process this will allow a better appreciation of the work I put into these pictures, and perhaps inspire a few others to be more adventurous here as well.

Posted Image

Shot at 2007-07-25

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

^^ I know I am looking PAST the A&S thing to the NG, which I think will be more curves into the angles of the style.

To that end, here we are at 1/3 of the way there now, I am posting each step here for a reason for the benefit of you all so that it may create a better understanding of MY process, which IS different from the typical Cut & Paste style so prevalent in photo chops. As you see there is a lot more drawing and sculpting in my technique by intent, as my background is that of a painter & sculptor not a photographer.

It is my hope that by posting each step of my process this will allow a better appreciation of the work I put into these pictures, and perhaps inspire a few others to be more adventurous here as well.

Posted Image

Shot at 2007-07-25

Problem with this style is it's still rather messy and very few of your finished products are clean. I understand what you're getting at with the style, but since you are putting photo elements like real wheels and a real back drop, the stylized car looks out of place.

Good photo-choppers use Cut-Paste for the general shape, but much work goes into making those elements blend seamlessly together, Much of the work I did with that El Camino for example, was created, not pasted.

That being said, the orange one looks to have a lot of potential, although I'd rather see harder edges than curves in the glass cutouts. It looks promising, but you need to clean it up a lot. Keep working at it.

Edited by Dodgefan

Good photo-choppers use Cut-Paste for the general shape, but much work goes into making those elements blend seamlessly together, Much of the work I did with that El Camino for example, was created, not pasted.

See thats a basic difference, I draw into the base picture first to get the basic shape, then C&P in other elements, then go back and brush it all. Like I always say if I wanted a photograph I'd use a Camera, it creates a different look the way I do this, as I personally find the "clean" look boring as hell to look at as well as to make. There is just no challenge in that for me anymore, plus when your not copping parts from other cars you have to work harder to make the elements you come up with fit and work together, sometimes it works real good, some times it dose not. The chance I take on every picture, that makes it all interesting IMO.

Yeah this one has a ways to go still...but it is starting to work.These types of pictures take alot longer to do than someting like this, which I did in like 2 hours maybe ? ...and exactly in the method you mentioned above, so I guess You have to call this one a "Good Chop", which it is but, it is very easy to this ;

Posted Image

Shot at 2007-07-26

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0