Z-06

Guess who is thinking about buying Jag and LR

14 posts in this topic

Clicky

MUMBAI (Reuters) - India's Tata Motors Ltd. (TAMO.BO: Quote, Profile, Research) and Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. (MAHM.BO: Quote, Profile, Research) are exploring the possibility of bidding for Ford Motor Co.'s (F.N: Quote, Profile, Research) Jaguar and Land Rover brands, the Economic Times reported on Thursday.

Tata Motors, India's top vehicle maker, may finance a bid with joint venture partner Fiat (FIA.MI: Quote, Profile, Research) or with private equity firms, the newspaper said, citing sources in the industry.

A Tata Motors spokesman declined comment on the report.

A spokesman for Mahindra said the report was speculative.

The Daily Telegraph newspaper had earlier reported Tata Motors had instructed advisers to evaluate the merits of a joint offer for Jaguar and Land Rover, valued at about $1.5 billion.

It had said Tata Motors' evaluation of a bid was at an "exploratory" stage and may not lead to a formal bid.

Ford said last month it was working with financial advisers on the best options for the two premium brands. There have also been reports that it may sell its successful Swedish unit Volvo.

But Jaguar and Land Rover are expected to attract limited interest, sources have told Reuters. Initial indications of value are due to Ford on July 19, they have said.

Interesting thought...

I think it is an irony. Exactly 60 years ago, Indians got rid of the British, and now they want British, albeit in a different way.

I think the Queen should buy Jag and LR. I can't see this sitting well w/ the British people.

I think the Queen should buy Jag and LR. I can't see this sitting well w/ the British people.

With the Indian Brits, it would be a big hit. Indians are all over England like Mexicans are here, damn near....

I think Tata will be a better suitor than the Mahindra. I know Mahindra wants the LR expertise for its off-road and 4x4 vehicles, but Tata is more of a complete company than Mahindra, and it will boost its image in Europe.

$1.5 billion for both of them??

Ford bought Jag for $2.5 billion almost twenty years ago!

Everyone at Ford who got their grimy hands all over those names ought to be fired.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Does this mean the Jaguar mascot will have a small red dot on his head? :ph34r:

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Does this mean the Jaguar mascot will have a small red dot on his head? :ph34r:

Just when I think you might not be an idiot.

It's not even funny, nor does it make sense.

This is still very ironic. Can you imagine someone suggesting this seventy years ago, that one day, Indians would purchase two English auto manufacturers?

This is still very ironic. Can you imagine someone suggesting this seventy years ago, that one day, Indians would purchase two English auto manufacturers?

Thomas Friedman would approve... globalisation, it's unstoppable.

LOL.... oh I would never say that I'm not an idiot. :P

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor