Preview: 2008 Civic MUGEN Si sedan

Flybrian

2008 Honda Civic MUGEN Si Sedan Preview
Honda promises a lighter, tighter Civic sedan
Posted Image
by Marty Padgett | Link to Original Article @ TCC | (2007-07-23)

Honda's longtime tuner colleagues at Mugen have tricked out the Civic Si sedan for the 2008 model year, with a specially tuned suspension, forged aluminum wheels, aero body add-ons and new tires.

Honda says the biggest changes to the stock Civic's suspension tuning have made it quicker around the Twin Ring Motegi track in Japan. Mugen tuners have lowered the Civic's ride height by 0.6 inches, and have boosted the damping on the front and rear suspension. The forged wheels are lighter-weight aluminum even though they've been upsized to 18-inchers, and the tires have been swapped out for new BFGoodrich g-Force KDW 215/40ZR-18 treads.

There's no boost in horsepower but the Mugen edition does get a freer-flowing exhaust and an aluminum shift knob. Outside, the Mugen Civic Si Sedan gets a whole body kit including a rear spoiler and air diffuser, a front spoiler and side sills. A special exterior paint color, Fiji Blue Pearl, is applied to the exterior along with Mugen badges inside and out.

Honda promises a base price of less than $30,000 for the Civic Mugen when it goes on sale in mid-October, 2007. At most, Honda says, a thousand copies will be built.

There's really no way to justify it. It's too much money for not enough performance increase.

But they're only making at most 1000 copies (not per year, that's total), and it's likely they will all sell to Mugen/Honda enthusiasts who have extra money to spend on something like this.

I suppose after buying those wheels and adding on that crappy body kit as well as adding the suspension hardware, you might be close to $30k on a regular Civic Si. But then, isn't that the reason we make fun of "ricers"? Because they spend tons of money on a little compact car so we can laugh at them?

Seriously, if you have $30k to spend on a car, I would hope you would have brains enough to spend it on something better. For that, you could get a loaded Mustang GT, or better yet, a leftover GTO.

cant understand the looks fast rational of it all. why look like that and then get pwned at every redlight by stock sedans. $30 grand will get you a nice late model z28 or gt with enough left over for a trubo/supercharger and a suspension setup. hello 11-12 time slips. and they'll get 20mpg easy

Are you guys even aware that a price hasn't been confirmed in this article?...all it says is 'less than 30K'

And, obviously, you haven't seen the sticker prices on a fully loaded Cobalt SS.

Unbelieveable how inconsistent we are in our logic...its a 'special edition', not the next coming.

How can you criticise Honda and not apply the same standards to Ford for the Mustang Shelby, GM for its Corvette 'pacecar' editions or Chrysler for its Bumble-bee pickups?

Prediction: They sell each and every one. (Unlike the GTO.)

cant understand the looks fast rational of it all. why look like that and then get pwned at every redlight by stock sedans. $30 grand will get you a nice late model z28 or gt with enough left over for a trubo/supercharger and a suspension setup. hello 11-12 time slips. and they'll get 20mpg easy

So a low-mid 6s 0-60mph will get pwned by every stock sedan?

While the power has not officially changed, the Mugen Si does have a better exhaust system, which is apparently good for 6hp more on the dyno (TOV has a test-drive of the Mugen Si up here). That combined with weight reduction and lighter weight wheels, better tires, and suspension, and it's a modest performance increase over the stock Si. However, to echo my first post, it's not a large enough increase in performance, IMO, to warrant the close to 30k sticker.

I don't see why they just didn't put the S2000 engine in there. :scratchchin:

Typical ricer boy POS.

Even if there WAS a HP increase it would still have

less TORQUE than a typical SEARS lawnmower

running on 85 octane at 4000 feet above sea level.

as hard core gm i am i do not look to a cobalt ss for performance. they are nice but you are right, why pay that much for a cobalt when others can be had for cheaper. its easy to sell 1000 vehicles. the GTO's downfall was price, excellent demonstration. the shelbys and the vette pacecars if taken care of could constitute a higher resale value down the road say 10 or 15 years.

but i also said "every redlight" not every stock sedan.

Are you guys even aware that a price hasn't been confirmed in this article?...all it says is 'less than 30K'

'Less than 30K' is newspeak for $29,595 or thereabouts. You should know that. I would be surprised if it were any less than $27.5k.

And, obviously, you haven't seen the sticker prices on a fully loaded Cobalt SS.

$23,455, including extra cost paint, sunroof, 18" wheels, and 6-disc in-dash CD changer

Unbelieveable how inconsistent we are in our logic...its a 'special edition', not the next coming.

Isn't that the truth.

How can you criticise Honda and not apply the same standards to Ford for the Mustang Shelby, GM for its Corvette 'pacecar' editions or Chrysler for its Bumble-bee pickups?

Speaking solely for GM here, Corvette pacecar special editions don't promise any performance upgrades, merely a cosmetic package with special wheels and trim. However, MUGEN is a well-reknowned engine tuner and a MUGEN-badged Honda that has zero powertrain enhancements is just as disingenuous as those n/a 3800 Monte Carlos wearing SS badging.

Prediction: They sell each and every one. (Unlike the GTO.)

No doubt. Fools are plentiful in any marketplace.

You forgot Onstar, which is a $695 option that brings the price to $24,150. :P

Well...you couldn't pay me to sign up for OnStar at this point. :P

I actually wouldn't get the tintcoat paint myself, so my SS would be even less.

You forgot Onstar, which is a $695 option that brings the price to $24,150. :P

So with an aftermarket Nav system, a body kit and an exhaust system (So the equipment level is about the same)....you're right in the ballpark...which was my point.

However, MUGEN is a well-reknowned engine tuner and a MUGEN-badged Honda that has zero powertrain enhancements is just as disingenuous as those n/a 3800 Monte Carlos wearing SS badging.

Well, Mugen is just as well known for their aerodynamic bodywork, and making fully wind-tunnel tested aero kits for stock Hondas (at ridiculous prices). This isn't a Type R Civic. In my opinion this is more of a collector's item.

How can you criticise Honda and not apply the same standards to Ford for the Mustang Shelby

Come on, with the Shelby at least you get 200 more horsepower along with an upgraded suspenison. It's 15 grand more than a base Mustang GT but you're also getting one hell of a car with actual performance upgrades and an SVT suspension. It's really no comparison.

Come on, with the Shelby at least you get 200 more horsepower along with an upgraded suspenison. It's 15 grand more than a base Mustang GT but you're also getting one hell of a car with actual performance upgrades and an SVT suspension. It's really no comparison.

Not what I'm refering to:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/12...-shelby-gt.html

is what I'm refering to...It's like the Hertz package Mustang GT...'limited' in production and 'hand built' in Shelby's own sweatshop, I mean work shop....

The GT500 you are refering to is well worth the money, if you can buy it without ADM....

another dumb move from Honda

they should stick to selling CRV's and Fit's, it seems that's all they can do these days.

hmm... I'm thinking reg has taken control of toyoguy's account, because his posts seem to be so full of hate lately. :scratchchin:

As far as the reply.... is it is a dumb move for Honda because they are offering a one-off edition at an outrageous price-premium and will sell every single one?

6 extra hp. no mention of torque? wait, hondas don't have torque.

mugen. fine if you want a new exhaust on your CR motocrosser.

this is a silly car.

find a nice ion redline right now for about 15 grand. Or just a mustang GT for less than 30k.

boy, honda has no clue with other than their own little inbred fans.....

Edited by regfootball

As far as the reply.... is it is a dumb move for Honda because they are offering a one-off edition at an outrageous price-premium and will sell every single one?

how about build something worth owing.

it's been RL, RDX, TL-S or Ridgeline.

The only hits are the MDX, Fit and CRV.

Congratulations to Honda for selling a couple cars to the ricer crowd.

How about selling a Civic w/SH-awd and the RDX's 2.3L turbocharged I4, but that is asking too much. Honda apparently is content with a joke of a luxury brand, and some economy cars.

There is a grand irony in this.

really?

let's see what Toyota sells or is about to sell very shortly

IS350, IS-f, Lf-A, LS460, LS600h, plug-in hybrid.

let's see what GM sells or is about to sell

CTS, CTS-V, Corvette, an inepensive V8 platform, no premium luxury car, and the untested Volt.

tons of irony.

really?

let's see what Toyota sells or is about to sell very shortly

IS350, IS-f, Lf-A, LS460, LS600h, plug-in hybrid.

Yes, a handful, not yet, so?, a handful, just began testing.

And if you think the second looks good and the fifth is 'worth' owning, you've been partying with Lindsay too much.

"Untested Volt." You're within the program now? Guess you missed where the Prius plug-in just began testing like days ago.

Yes, a handful, not yet, so?, a handful, just began testing.

And if you think the second looks good and the fifth is 'worth' owning, you've been partying with Lindsay too much.

"Untested Volt." You're within the program now? Guess you missed where the Prius plug-in just began testing like days ago.

you pointed out the irony, I fail to see how Toyota isn't doing anything interesting.

so far the only interesting vehicle even testing at Honda is the new NSX which has been cancelled three times now.

what's coming down the pipeline from Honda? an SH-awd TL and a V6 diesel, like anyone really cares.

LS600h

A car that is basically a waste of $120 grand. The technological marvel that gets 1 MPG better than the regular version, tips the scale at 5000 pounds, and costs $20K over a regular LS460. People with too much money, desperate for green credentials, are going to be the only ones lining up for that one.

The whole LS series is a porky sedan for the tech whizzes that gotta have all the gadgets but don't really care how the car drives. Can you say "body roll"? But hey, it parks itself!

IS350 is decent, but it's no BMW. It's the only decent performance car Toyota actually builds.

You forgot the STS-V, XLR, XLR-V