Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I busted an environmental activist

28 posts in this topic

One of my students is an activist. I tease him all the time and tell him do not get arrested. He is a true activist in down to the "look". He and I were agreeing on the fact there is a problem with free trade. I told him Japan does not trade freely with us, and I talked about Toyota and I went into detail about how GM and others cannot sell their cars in that closed market. I told him you knew Toyota also has no unions in its plants, and they hire people for two to three years and let them go? I said to him you also know Toyota gets tax breaks for those plants they have here. You also know that the import companies who build plants here put them in small communities for people desperate for work, and underpay them? I said to him you also know That money goes back to Japan don't you? He wanted to talk about the "virtues" of Honda and Toyota and electric cars and hybrids. I laid into him by this point. He went on about how GM and Ford are behind the times. His reason he gave? The film "Who killed the electric car"

I said you know Saturn has a Hybrid Aura and VUE don't you? The Aura was car of the year.

You know GM has hybrid vehicles from other divisions?

You know that Chevrolet and other GM divisions have vehicles that run on E85 don't you? I named of several GM vehicles.

I told him the Chevrolet Volt was coming too.

I told him Cadillac and Saturn have diesels coming too. He then say then they can run on vegetable oil. I said so. I said if you live in the Midwest or somewhere cold, that will clog up the fuel lines when that stuff gets solid.

That left him speechless. I told him the next time you want to fight for a cause and believe in something, you need to have your facts together.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I'm really starting to get peeved by environmental activists. One of my studio classmates is heavily into the environment and pretty much hates anything that has four wheels and a non-hybrid internal combustion engine. Every time I give him a ride in my Lumina when we do group projects, he slams the hard hard enough that you can hear the window rattle. I'm nice enough to give him a ride in my vehicle and he disrepects my property because he feels like we should all be using mass transit. One time after he did it I got mad and said stop slamming the door, you're going to break it...he never said anything in response and he did it afterwards! I've pretty much decided he's not getting any rides from me anymore...he can walk to wherever he has to go.

I'm really starting to get peeved by environmental activists. One of my studio classmates is heavily into the environment and pretty much hates anything that has four wheels and a non-hybrid internal combustion engine. Every time I give him a ride in my Lumina when we do group projects, he slams the hard hard enough that you can hear the window rattle. I'm nice enough to give him a ride in my vehicle and he disrepects my property because he feels like we should all be using mass transit. One time after he did it I got mad and said stop slamming the door, you're going to break it...he never said anything in response and he did it afterwards! I've pretty much decided he's not getting any rides from me anymore...he can walk to wherever he has to go.

I'd tell him to get his ass out and walk right then and there....also that you'll make him pay for damages if he does any.

There is a difference between someone who truly cares about the environment and those that use it as something they latch onto in efforts to make themselves feel superior to others or do it because its trendy.

Driving a Suburban or using incandescent bulbs doesn't mean you don't care about the planet.

One of my students is an activist. I tease him all the time and tell him do not get arrested. He is a true activist in down to the "look". He and I were agreeing on the fact there is a problem with free trade. I told him Japan does not trade freely with us, and I talked about Toyota and I went into detail about how GM and others cannot sell their cars in that closed market. I told him you knew Toyota also has no unions in its plants, and they hire people for two to three years and let them go? I said to him you also know Toyota gets tax breaks for those plants they have here. You also know that the import companies who build plants here put them in small communities for people desperate for work, and underpay them? I said to him you also know That money goes back to Japan don't you? He wanted to talk about the "virtues" of Honda and Toyota and electric cars and hybrids. I laid into him by this point. He went on about how GM and Ford are behind the times. His reason he gave? The film "Who killed the electric car"

I said you know Saturn has a Hybrid Aura and VUE don't you? The Aura was car of the year.

You know GM has hybrid vehicles from other divisions?

You know that Chevrolet and other GM divisions have vehicles that run on E85 don't you? I named of several GM vehicles.

I told him the Chevrolet Volt was coming too.

I told him Cadillac and Saturn have diesels coming too. He then say then they can run on vegetable oil. I said so. I said if you live in the Midwest or somewhere cold, that will clog up the fuel lines when that stuff gets solid.

That left him speechless. I told him the next time you want to fight for a cause and believe in something, you need to have your facts together.

One less sadly misguided activist that needs to be cut down to size.

There is a difference between someone who truly cares about the environment and those that use it as something they latch onto in efforts to make themselves feel superior to others or do it because its trendy.

Driving a Suburban or using incandescent bulbs doesn't mean you don't care about the planet.

You hit the nail on the head, Fly.

I said you know Saturn has a Hybrid Aura and VUE don't you?

Both of which get about the same mileage as their 2.4L 4cyl non-hybrid competition.

I could see them making good vehicles for parking security though. :scratchchin:

The Aura was car of the year.

So were the Prius and Civic, but they didn't deserve it like the Aura did! :AH-HA_wink:

Although kudos for beating out the Camry!

:Toyota:

did you tell the clueless little f'er to get a job? usually activists have no job

either no one wants to hire them or they are a leech on society

did you tell the clueless little f'er to get a job? usually activists have no job

either no one wants to hire them or they are a leech on society

That was the other interesting thing.. He is on financial aid funded by the U.S. Government that is based on his father's military service. I said you are anti-war, and yet you are using a G.I. bill to attend school. He justified that by saying because his father was messed up after the war, and it impacted the family life and the way he grew up, it was a psychological thing, and that is why he was able to attend school on the funding.

I'd tell him to get his ass out and walk right then and there....also that you'll make him pay for damages if he does any.

I wonder what would hurt him worse....having to walk through the cold Iowa winters or being forced to pay for damages to a motorized, fossil fuel consuming vehicle! My guess in number two. :lol: Edited by mustang84

So were the Prius and Civic, but they didn't deserve it like the Aura did!

Exactly!

Good at trippin' him up a bit, Ninety Eight.

This guy sounds as peachy as the Toyota Tundra driver that tried to bust me for driving a gas guzzling '87 MC LS......which is getting better gas mileage than his Toyota. Hmmm....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"You got your blinders on" ... Sheryl Crow ... 'Real Gone'

One of my students is an activist. He is a true activist in down to the "look".

I told him the next time you want to fight for a cause and believe in something, you need to have your facts together.

Is he a granola? I mean, do you even have them in Houston? :lol:

Is he a granola? I mean, do you even have them in Houston? :lol:

We do. Houston is not the place people used to think it was. Sadly, he also had a case of body odor too. Every time I see him he reeks.. I almost said to him yesterday when was the last time you took a bath and used a toothbrush. I have to be professional. I have said things to many students before, but I held back this time.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

This past weekend I sold a used 2005 Volvo V50 T5

(turbocharged-5) wagon to a guy who is an

enviromentalist of sorts, when I asked him what he

does for a living he said "Trying to save the world"

& then explained he's an ecologist. He looked at the

three Escalades in the showroom, peeked inside all

three of them enviously and then said:

"These things are KILLING the planet" :P:rolleyes:

So are turbocharged Volvos :rolleyes:

See YOU get it.... :D

We do. Houston is not the place people used to think it was.

I know. I know. There is no way a place can be America's 4th city and not have a smattering of granolas. They bug the $h! out of me...they are so packaged and fit a checklist that, in reality, this defies being liberal. A liberal person is self-styled: they pick and choose their ingredients.

I wish I remembered where I heard this quote, but it is very profound, IMO:

"When you are young, if you are not a liberal, then you have no heart; when you are older, if you are not conservative, then you have no brains."

When I was 17 (way, way back in the dark ages), I belonged to a few gay groups, especially youth groups. You don't get much more 'granola' than that. I remember a few of my 'friends' getting all excited about busing out to Darlington to chain themselves to some fence. Darlington was a huge (then) new nuclear power plant that had just been approved. After, when some of them were arrested, they were so happy! :blink: Happy? About a criminal record?

Now, I understood them getting all excited about Anita Bryant coming to London to give a speech, but what did these 1st year college drop outs know about nuclear power? This was even before Three Mile Island and Chernobyl, so they were really flying blind!

Oscar Wilde said that it is too bad that youth is wasted on the young. It is great to jump on the bandwagon of the 'cause du jour,' but you are absolutely right, Ninety Eight - they should at least have the decency to have an elementary understanding of what they stand for and why.

When I see all of these 'punks' picketing the G8 conferences, it saddens me: they are all products of the past 20 years of unbridled trade and economic growth. Can they not see that?

When I was in grade school, we drew posters about the 'population boom' and 'pollution.' Later, it was nuclear power and oil was going to be gone by the 21st Century. Then the Arabs were buying up the country. Then it was the 'evil' Russian Empire.

:omfg:

We're still here....................

I know. I know. There is no way a place can be America's 4th city and not have a smattering of granolas. They bug the $h! out of me...they are so packaged and fit a checklist that, in reality, this defies being liberal. A liberal person is self-styled: they pick and choose their ingredients.

True... I like the 'pick and choose' approach... I'm pretty liberal/progressive on social issues but definitely not a granola... I love fast, powerful, beautiful cars and have yuppie tendencies...I'd choose a BMW or Caddy over a Subaru or Prius.

I was more conservative when I was younger, definitely a bit of a young Republican in high school ('greed is good!') and early college...but as I've gotten older and seen the Republican party taken over by fascists, war mongers, and scary bible thumpers/social conservatives, I've distanced myself from that crowd...

True... I like the 'pick and choose' approach... I'm pretty liberal/progressive on social issues but definitely not a granola... I love fast, powerful, beautiful cars and have yuppie tendencies...I'd choose a BMW or Caddy over a Subaru or Prius.

I was more conservative when I was younger, definitely a bit of a young Republican in high school ('greed is good!') and early college...but as I've gotten older and seen the Republican party taken over by fascists, war mongers, and scary bible thumpers/social conservatives, I've distanced myself from that crowd...

Opinions of ideas and people change over time, True... Look at Barry Goldwater, he was a 'fascist' in 1964, didn't change at all, but is considered liberal now by today's standards.

So are turbocharged Volvos :rolleyes:

Ahhh...but.... perceptions are everthing.

*shakes head*

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"The truth is discovered" ... Squeeze ... 'Tempted'

"When you are young, if you are not a liberal, then you have no heart; when you are older, if you are not conservative, then you have no brains."

Yeah. Heard that one too, and it seems to make sense, doesn't it?

hilary says she's 'progressive', not liberal.

i think hilary had a face lift.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0