Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

My all time favorite Bonneville: tv commercial

12 posts in this topic

Not that I had a '77 Sedan with a 301ci. 2bbl. it wasn't that good trust me. With only 135hp it was not very quick. It need a 4bbl. 350 or 400. Still loved the way it sounded and the comfort tho. That was a clever commercial.

Nice Commercial!

Here in Canada, the Bonneville was called the Parisian for the longest time- any one know why?

Nice Commercial!

Here in Canada, the Bonneville was called the Parisian for the longest time- any one know why?

Pontiac in Canada went their own way w/ names for a long time...they had Chevy engines in their big Pontiacs back in the '50s-80s also. Their equivalent of the Bonneville and Catalina were Parisienne and Laurentian, I think.. I've seen a few down here in the states, there is a clean '64 Parisienne convertible around here, and I've seen a '67 Grand Parisienne 4dr ht (with the '67 Grand Prix style hidden headlights and taillights).

Then in '82 when US Pontiac made the stupid move of rebadging the LeMans as a Bonneville, they then did a quickie rebadge of the Caprice as the Parisienne for '83 (which got it's '80/81 Bonneville rear end back for '84-86).

Nice Commercial!

It was called "Parisienne". Then it was "Parisienne" here from 1983-1986.

Here is your story:

Pontiac Parisienne

Manufacturer Pontiac

Parent company General Motors

Production 1983-1986 (U.S.)

1958-1986 (Oshawa Car Assembly, Canada)

Assembly Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Predecessor Pontiac Catalina (For U.S.)

Class Full-size

Body style(s) 2-door coupé

4-door sedan

4-door station wagon

Layout FR layout

Platform B-body

Related Chevrolet Caprice

Chevrolet Impala

Buick LeSabre

Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight

Buick Electra Estate

Pontiac Safari

The Pontiac Parisienne was a full-size rear-wheel drive vehicle that was sold by Pontiac on the GM B platform in Canada from 1958 to 1986 and in the US from 1983 to 1986. The Parisienne wagon continued under the Safari nameplate until 1989.

For most of its life, the Parisienne was a Canadian nameplate, sold in Pontiac's Canadian showrooms, while American Pontiac dealers sold the Catalina, Ventura, Star Chief and Bonneville. In 1982, the Bonneville was downsized on the G-body while Pontiac's version of the B-body was dropped.

In early 1983, to gain back Pontiac customers who longed for a large rear wheel drive car, the Parisienne was imported from Oshawa, Ontario, Canada (where the full-size model had not been dropped) and sold in the United States. Externally, it was a rebadged Chevrolet Impala (1983-84 models had the Impala rear taillight panel fitted with Pontiac-spec taillight lenses, whereas the nose was borrowed from the Chevrolet Caprice fitted with a Pontiac grille). The 1985 to 1986 models resumed use of the rear-end styling from the 1980 to 1981 Bonneville.

Two Parisienne ranges were sold - a base model (similar to the former Catalina and the then-current Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale) in four-door sedan and Safari station wagon form, and a more-luxurious Brougham four-door sedan (with velour upholstery that featured loose-pillow fitted seats). No two-door models were offered for the United States market, although a coupe version was available in Canada through 1983.

The Pontiac Parisienne was a success, especially with customers who wanted a nicely appointed car at a reasonable price. The Parisienne still sold well when GM decided to drop the line after the 1986 model year. A front wheel drive model with the Bonneville name replaced the Parisienne; however, the wagon model (known just as "Safari") continued until 1989.

1980-1981 Pontiac Parisienne:

Posted Image

1983 Pontiac Parisienne:

Posted Image

1985-1986 Parisienne:

Posted Image

As a side note, when I was a teenager, I wanted a 1980-1981, 1984-1986 Pontiac Bonneville, 1985-1986 Parisienne, 1983-1984 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight, 1984-1985 Oldsmobile Delta Eighty Eight Royale Brougham LS.

This car replaced the G-Body Bonneville and B-Body Parisienne:

Posted Image

And in the end: 2000-2005

Completely redesigned from the ground up with significant advancements in design. Remained on the H-platform.

Interestingly, the Bonneville regained a V8 option on the GXP trim for 2004, its first since 1986, as a result of the discontinuation of the Oldsmobile Aurora. This opened up a "hole" in the GM lineup between Pontiac and Buick, allowing Pontiac to expand upmarket somewhat. The engine is Cadillac's Northstar, and as Pontiac's website said, "With GXP, V8 power gets reintroduced into the Bonneville line in the form of the world-renowned 4.6 L (279 in³) Northstar V8 engine. 275 hp, 300 ft·lbf torque and 0-60 mph in 6.5 seconds demonstrates better performance than BMW 330i and 530i, and Lexus ES. Its 3.7:1 final drive ratio is the most aggressive found on any car in its class."

For the last year of production Pontiac gave the sporty mid-level SLE the new GXP styling. The 2005 SLE featured all GXP styling cues except the wheels, badging and muffler tips all remained unique to the SLE.

The End of an Era

GM announced on February 8, 2005 that the Bonneville would be dropped from Pontiac's lineup for 2006. This was considered by many fans to be a black day in automobile history because few other cars had the reliability and comfort of the Bonneville and even fewer nameplates had the tenure of just under 50 years of continual production that Bonneville did. Only about 12,000 Bonnevilles were sold in 2005, partly due to a lack of advertising over the past years. With more than half of Pontiac dealers also selling Buick models, the new Buick Lucerne will remain as GM's only non-luxury full-size car. The smaller Pontiac G8, intended as a replacement for the Grand Prix, will absorb the rest of the Bonneville's customer base. The last Bonneville rolled off the assembly line on May 27, 2005.

Posted Image

Hmmm..so if I read this right, then Canada had an '82 Parisienne? Was it the Chevy rebadge like the '83-84 model or did it still use the '80/81 Pontiac-style body and interior?

I was in high school during the mid '80s and remember seeing the US Parisienne and thinking it didn't look very Pontiacish from the front with that flat Caprice nose..

Hmmm..so if I read this right, then Canada had an '82 Parisienne? Was it the Chevy rebadge like the '83-84 model or did it still use the '80/81 Pontiac-style body and interior?

I was in high school during the mid '80s and remember seeing the US Parisienne and thinking it didn't look very Pontiacish from the front with that flat Caprice nose..

You read it correct. They had a B-Body in Canada. We did not have one here. You know what happened here. That during Pontiacs we want to be a small car company phase. They were re badging Chevys as Pontiacs for years there. They still do. They do it here in the states too. They go by the names G5, Torrent. The 1982 Parisienne had the Caprice/Impala body. The 1980-1981 had the Bonneville body. I like the fact the 1985-1986 had the 1980-1981 Bonneville sheetmetal. It is funny how GM just dug that up. They did the same thing with the Eighty Eight to with the Royale Brougham LS. That car had 1983-1984 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight parts all over it.

They still do. They do it here in the states too. They go by the names G5, Torrent.

Thanks for the info :).

Don't forget the Wave... it's a pretty sad excuse of a rebadge. I remember now, that Pontiac had the Grand Prix and LeMans here. We didn't have Bonneville or Catalina, but we did have Acadian, Laurentian, and Parisienne

You read it correct. They had a B-Body in Canada. We did not have one here. You know what happened here. That during Pontiacs we want to be a small car company phase. They were re badging Chevys as Pontiacs for years there. They still do. They do it here in the states too. They go by the names G5, Torrent. The 1982 Parisienne had the Caprice/Impala body. The 1980-1981 had the Bonneville body. I like the fact the 1985-1986 had the 1980-1981 Bonneville sheetmetal. It is funny how GM just dug that up. They did the same thing with the Eighty Eight to with the Royale Brougham LS. That car had 1983-1984 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight parts all over it.

Yeah, I remember when the '85 change happened...they brought back the '80/81 Bonneville rear clip, but kept the Caprice front end and dash..too bad they didn't bring back the whole '80-81 body, pointy nose and all...

I really liked those '80s B- and C- bodies (and the G-body coupes)..they were a bunch of them at my high school in '84-88..

Yes I have one very special Bonneville the last year in the very rare SLE trim. With a 2005 only color Cranberry Red with cloth seats none the less and chrome wheels. It is an oddly optioned Bonneville.

Edited by gm4life

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0