6 posts in this topic

Chevrolet Epica LT

Rating: ** out of five stars

Epica's uninspired looks and underwhelming driving experience are far from epic

Text: Sam Hardy / Photos: Matt Howell

July 2007

Chevrolet Epica

Posted Image

Take one look at Chevrolet’s Epica and you would be forgiven for thinking you had stepped back in time.

With its new high-performance Még­ane diesel, Renault has mixed fun and eco-friendliness in one package. And although it’s far from perfect, it shows that the company has its finger on the pulse of modern motoring.

Take one look at Chevrolet’s Epica, though, and you would be forgiven for thinking you had stepped back in time. Revealed at last year’s Geneva Motor Show, the four-door has been available around the world for the last 18 months. But only now are bosses planning to bring it here.

The Mercedes E-Class-sized model has the kind of boxy saloon shape that went out of fashion in the Eighties. It has been designed to appeal to buyers who want a large car, but don’t want to pay much for it.

And with a £13,500 price tag for the flagship LT model driven here, they certainly won’t have to. In fact, the Epica undercuts the Hyundai Son­ata – its closest competitor in today’s market – by a significant £3,500.

But the Chevrolet is loaded with equipment. Our car came with electric heated leather seats, cruise and climate control, plus an MP3-compatible stereo and rear parking sensors. Inside, however, it’s not exactly cutting edge, with lots of grey plastic and low-rent leather upholstery. There’s plenty of space in the rear for adults, though, and the boot is a useful 435 litres.

On the road, the driving experience is underwhelming. The Epica rides well enough, but it rolls heavily through corners, has vague, slow steering and generally feels cumbersome.

The 142bhp 2.0-litre straight-six fails to shine, too. It’s neither refined nor responsive. A new six-speed auto, due next year, should help, although the unit’s sub-30mpg economy makes the 150bhp 2.0 diesel a better choice.

But really, it’s difficult to recommend any Epica model. With a radical new Lacetti out next year, plus a replacement for the Matiz, Chevy has some exciting cars up its sleeve. This isn’t one of them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

source:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/fi...olet_epica.html

I'm surprised they don't sell the Cobalt and Malibu in European markets instead of the Chevywoos....maybe add diesel, hatchback and wagon versions of each. It seems like potentially the Cobalt and Malibu could be 'world cars' for the Chevy brand.

Edited by moltar

The Epica's discontinued here for a reason.

Unreliable trash.

The instantly forgettable Suzuki Verona had a nice interior and was roomy, good value, but little else. I don't miss it, and there is no purpose for Epica when the 2008 Malibu seems to be far superior, probably with more space. Just use the Mlaibu as the global version to replace that and the Epica when the time comes.

Wish I read more about Epicas before. My wife's friend asked me my opinion about them a year or two ago, I told her I had no opinion, didn't know anything about them!

She bought one, and after a few months I asked her if she changed the rims.

She exchanged THE CAR! LOL She said her Epica would stall all the time, was always in the shop, and she had nothing but troubles. She tried to sick lawyers on the dealership for a "lemon law" thing, but the dealer ended up exchanging the car (and more money of course!) for a Malibu.

She is MUCH happier with the Malibu!

Are they trouble prone? I still know basically nothing about Epicas!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0