NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Tata Motors of India Aquires Jaguar and Land Rover from Ford

12 posts in this topic

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

July 26, 2007 5:12 a.m.

NEW DELHI (Dow Jones)--India's Tata Motors Ltd. (500570.BY) has acquired Jaguar and Land Rover, Indian news channel CNBC-TV18 reported Thursday, citing unnamed sources.

A Tata Motors executive however declined comment when contacted by Dow Jones Newswires.

"Tata Motors does not have any comments to make. Tata Motors does not comment on mergers and acquisitions," said Debasis Ray, head of corporate communications.

Ford Motor Co. (F), which owns the two brands, also said the report was inaccurate and that it was still evaluating options.

Tata Motors, which makes buses, trucks and passenger cars, is India's largest commercial vehicle maker by sales.

Last month, Ford hired advisors to help sell Jaguar and Land Rover, both part of its Premier Automotive Group (PAG), in a move expected to reap as much as $8 billion, according to some estimates.

So two of our British car manufacturers in America are owned by ... Indians.

Regarding Ford, now maybe they can concentrate on making Mercury and Lincoln relevant.

Regarding Jaguar and Land Rover... Well, it was nice knowing you.

Gandhi is smiling in his grave. Indians are going to get back at Britain for years of oppression by driving it's two best brands (imo) into the ground. Thats funny.

BTW, this is totally pathetic on Ford's part. They invested too much in the international brands and let the domestics suffer. Now, Volvo is Ford's only international luxury brand, and thats only "near-lux", and we don't know how long it will be around.

So this is time for Ford to reinvest in Lincoln and Mercury. They've gotta sell Volvo off now, use Mercury to sell European Fords here and essentially replace Volvo, create INDIVIDUAL product for Lincoln, and share as much as possible between Ford and Mazda.

This is good. They can focus now, and get outta the ground. At least now Ford's Q3 profits will be up as well, lol.

Gandhi is smiling in his grave. Indians are going to get back at Britain for years of oppression by driving it's two best brands (imo) into the ground. Thats funny.

You kidding me?! The Indians know business.

Wait and see. I'll bet you that in less than a decade, these two brands will be at the top of every luxury-SUV or luxury-car buyers list.

They may know business, but how much do they know about luxury cars?

... *suffers from an "early days of Lexus" flashback and imagines someone else saying the same thing* :banghead:

You kidding me?! The Indians know business.

Wait and see. I'll bet you that in less than a decade, these two brands will be at the top of every luxury-SUV or luxury-car buyers list.

I just hope they have some models that are spicy like vindaloo.. :) It will be interesting to see Indian Jags and LRs. Tata is a huge company, they have everything from software consultancies to truck production. Of course, in the US, the stereotypical car brand for Indians (at least in the software business) are Toyotas.

(though when I was a kid, my family doctor was an Indian immigrant and he drove cars as wildly diverse as a '79 Caddy Eldorado, '86 Merc 560SEC, Chevy Suburban, and an '87 Mustang LX 5.0 convertible).

Edited by moltar

Damn...I hope Jag and LR are in good hands. I love both.

Tata has the same problem as the Chinese manufactures. Great ideas, but little know how on the follow through.

The automotive market is very intense now days. A hot design won't cut it. Top notch manufacturing is more important in that market.

Alright, everyone, just think "British know-how, Indian money," and all will be well.

Thing that kills me is why did Jag and LR have to be a package deal instead of sold separately?

Well, we're still missing a unified Rover. But one day, it may happen.

bet those will be some nice TATAS

I laughed.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead